Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#272526 - 07/24/07 11:59 PM Beaver - Trap position at a castor mound set?
ADC
Unregistered

If the green dot is 12 o'clock what time do you point the dog on your coilspring traps and what time on your longspring traps?

~ADC~

#272536 - 07/25/07 12:07 AM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: ]
pnwmtnmn
Unregistered

3 or 9 just depends which hand I use to set the trap down with.

#272538 - 07/25/07 12:13 AM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: ]
Gary Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
3 here .... and offset the trap to the right side ... unless there is structure at a particular set that makes me change the norm .... great post ADC ... how bout yaself ?

#272541 - 07/25/07 12:19 AM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: Gary]
ADC
Unregistered

Longsprings 6 oclock, coils 3 oclock but Don't take my word for it I'm not beaver trapper. lol

#272542 - 07/25/07 12:21 AM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: ]
Gary Offline
trapper

dont think there is a wrong way to do ANYTHING ... if it works ... lol ;\) \:\)

#272556 - 07/25/07 12:35 AM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: Gary]
Vinke Offline
trapper

Loc: (This word is unacceptable on ...
Funny.......looks like the government "fence post" set ....ALways could tell were old Johnney and Frank had been...LOL

As far as the clock.... Might as well not set it if you are putting it in the middle........ \:\)

www.wawildlife.com

www.azrats.com

#272600 - 07/25/07 02:00 AM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: IOWAtrapper]
possum skinner
Unregistered

offset of approach dog at 3 or 9 ... works for me

#272620 - 07/25/07 04:37 AM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: ]
Animals Only Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Michigan
Off setting to the left 9. Off setting to the right 3. I would not set a beaver trap in the middel of a run.

#272643 - 07/25/07 06:14 AM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: Animals Only]
Bottomline Offline
"Mr. President"

Loc: Johnston County, NC
3 or 9 depending on left foot or right.

#272676 - 07/25/07 07:07 AM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: Bottomline]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
Definitely 3 or 9.

If you place the dog at 6 or 12, then the beaver will be crossing over the jaws. Take a look at that beaver's back foot and you'll see how long it is from the toenails to the heel.

With the dog in the 3 or 9 o'clock position, and the beaver's back foot is going to step on the trap, there's a good chance that either the beaver's heel will be on the near jaw when it's toes are on the pan,or the beaver's heel will be on the pan and the toes across the far jaw. Either case will give you an undesired effect.

If the beaver's heel is on the jaw and toes are on the pan and it fires the trap, there is a good chance that you will get a toe catch or a sprung trap as the trap jaw lifts the heel of the beaver.

If the beaver's heel is on the pan and toes are across the far jaw when the trap fires, then there is a good chance for a fired and empty trap. When the trap fires, the jaw will lift the toes,draped across it and throw the whole foot out of the trap.

If set so that the dog is in the 3 or 9 position, it doesn't matter if the heel is resting on the pivot point of the jaws with the toes on the pan, or if the heel is on the pan with the toes on the far pivot point of the jaws. Either of these situations will usually result in a catch.

For a back foot catch, trap position can make the difference between a catch and a miss. For a front foot catch, it doesn't matter.

#272919 - 07/25/07 12:17 PM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: Paul Dobbins]
ADC
Unregistered

Thanks Paul. Makes sense to me. How about a longspring trap, do you toint the dog to 9 or 3 if you off-set to the right side as he approaches? Assuming you bend the springs toward the dog side of the trap. Would the springs be in the middle of the run then, or outside the right side of the run?

#272946 - 07/25/07 12:46 PM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: ]
pnwmtnmn
Unregistered

ADC rotate the trap 180degrees to get the dog and springs on the outside of the run.

#272975 - 07/25/07 01:32 PM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: ]
Gary Offline
trapper

ADC if im offsettin to the right ... i always have the springs (on longsprings) bent towards the dog and out to the right from the target area

#273394 - 07/25/07 06:48 PM Re: What time on a castor mound set? [Re: Gary]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
Either 9 or 3. The approach always between the jaws.....

Moderator:  tmrschessie