Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3145581 - 05/03/12 10:53 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
Looks good! My wife has also allowed me to have beaver in her kitchen. God bless her understanding! Of course it also helped convince her I needed a heated trapping shed!

#3145599 - 05/03/12 11:09 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
smalltimetrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Interior Alaska
Been trying to figure out how my truck is getting in all your pics.

#3145860 - 05/03/12 01:31 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: M.T.V. Alaska
When you are clean skinning take your time and take breaks from skinning when you get frustrated or put a hole. also get a hoop stretcher so you dont have to lug around a sheets of expensive plywood and smash your fingers hammering nails.

looks pretty good for the first time.

#3145874 - 05/03/12 01:43 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Pittu Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Looks good for a first one....My wife would give me 30 days in the electric chair if I skinned a beaver on an end table in our living room!!!!

Were you clean skinning with a knife... or a scraper? If you werent using a scraper, check out the ADF&G video on clean skinning beaver. It really is not too hard if you use that method...

#3146347 - 05/03/12 07:01 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
Thanks for the comments you guys! I was using knives. I've seen the Ducyk video, good stuff, might have to give it a try. That was actually in the kitchen...I think my wife does look forward to me having a heated shack, but she tolerates my in house skinning for now. I'm gonna try to find my pattern, I'm sure I got one from NAFA somewhere...

#3146842 - 05/04/12 12:53 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Got the big one boarded today, less happy with the job I did on it. Guess I just need practice. My wife cooked up some beaver for dinner today in a soup, was really good! When I had it as a kid in the village I don't know how my auntie cooked it, but it was like chewing on a willow. Not with the soup today, was actually really good! Now I have 2 reasons to target beaver!

Edited by Aknative (05/04/12 12:57 AM)

#3146862 - 05/04/12 02:43 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
Congrats on the beaver! The first one or two of the season I always jack up, then it becomes easier.

#3147019 - 05/04/12 08:22 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
trapper ron Offline
trapper

Loc: Kelowna BC Canada
Originally Posted By: Aknative
Got the big one boarded today, less happy with the job I did on it. Guess I just need practice. My wife cooked up some beaver for dinner today in a soup, was really good! When I had it as a kid in the village I don't know how my auntie cooked it, but it was like chewing on a willow. Not with the soup today, was actually really good! Now I have 2 reasons to target beaver!

Ak you may find that the younger beaver are much more milder than the bigger ones for eating. Did you wife pre soak the meat or anything like that prior to cooking it ?
NAFA Trapper Consultant

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

#3147026 - 05/04/12 08:33 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Yeah, we pre-soaked them in milk. She souped a rear haunch from the big one today with elbow noodles, potatoes, onions, a slaw of vegetables, rice, and sausage. I had tried to convince her not to cook it because of my experience with it, but...at least it was good! What do you like to soak them in to tone down the older ones?

#3147085 - 05/04/12 09:23 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: HFT AK]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Originally Posted By: HFT AK
Congrats on the beaver! The first one or two of the season I always jack up, then it becomes easier.

Seems to be how it works for most guys. I am included on this qoute especially with beav's.

#3147272 - 05/04/12 12:39 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: yukontrapper]
Birchcreekkid Online   content
trapper

Loc: Circle, Alaska
I like them cooked in a roaster, put some onion soup in the roaster and baste the meat every once in awhile. When you got an hour or so left to go put some cut up potatoes and carrots in there, good stuff!!!

#3147330 - 05/04/12 01:29 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Hornhunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
I make more stews than anything with the beaver. small or big ones i never see alot of difference, But as stated the younger are a little better. I've tried browning the meat first, but now I just put It In the crockpot chunked up quite small and raw. Secret to the good stew is to use beef bouillon. 2-3 cubes to the 8 qts. Don't add salt as there's enough in the cubes.
If roasting the hind quarters I soak the loins bakingsoda over night. That helps to 'Mild" the flavor a bit.
If you like liver, try beaver liver.

#3150316 - 05/07/12 01:49 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Made it out for the beaver weekend, didn't get one in a trap! But my gunner shot 5 with my Henry leaver, which performed flawlessly! The bullets went where the cross hairs were as far as I know, I didn't shoot much except for biffing 2 easy shots and missing a long shot while prone on the bank. Didn't take many pics, but I'll put up the ones on the deck when my buddy sends them. The canoe sprung a leak, had to to the ol' drive and bail at the same time while manuevering through shallow snaggy water. My wife cooked more beaver today, roasted it after marinating for day...much prefer it in a soup. Everybody have a safe summer!

#3151951 - 05/08/12 02:42 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Here's some pics once we got back.

My buddy with the catch.

I told him to hold it out in front of him to make it look bigger, but he coulnd't!

Her's some pics of them being put up. I rough skinned the little ones, my buddy Dan fleshed one on the beam and I fleshed the 2nd on shile he sewed holes he put in the 1st one. I clean skinned the big ones as best I could.

How many knives does it take a beginner to put up 5 beav? 5, the Havalon and the tail zipper I used make the tail/chin slit didn't make in the pic.

It felt like I couldn't get the Coleman and Dexter sharp enough, so I tried that pointy one which I knew was razor sharp, but it just didn't feel right. Once I got the rhythm with the Coleman, I found that it worked the best for me. Thanks to everybody who shares there tips and videos, it really helped with these. They aren't the best, but much better if I had done them without any of the info I got off here. Be safe out there!

#3152539 - 05/08/12 11:44 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Woohoo! Great job on the catches and the put up!

#3152541 - 05/08/12 11:49 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
Congrats! Looks like you got some bear bait!

#3159737 - 05/15/12 12:31 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Hows the beav line going? As for Baiting, never got out there yet. Hoping to soon. Gonna get back on 4 tens so more time to play again till August!!!

#3161409 - 05/16/12 02:48 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

We just did the one night on the pond near the house and the one weekend in the camper for a total of 7 beavs. Now on vacation in the dirty south! Might set a trap when we get back as the season closes at the end of the month, but I'll be more interested in bear baiting. A couple buddies were supposed to set up baits that well all use, but well see.

#3161691 - 05/16/12 07:01 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Ah right on, get out and git em'...i wanna scout around sometime for another location, i wanna set it up in a nice clearing and try open set up. Just have to find where. Enjoy the Vacation.

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11