Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Topic Options
Hop to:
#2690687 - 08/17/11 09:43 PM Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure
Bigkolo Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada
What coon lure do you like the best of the bunch: Clam, Fish, Salmon or Crayfish oil?
I hear Clam oil is best of the bunch out of the fish oils.
I know there might be different opinions and success rates with non based fish oil lures rom yuo folks. Just wanna hear back.

#2690713 - 08/17/11 09:52 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
aprophet Offline
trapper

Loc: Portsmouth Va.
15 oz of sun rendered fish oil 1 oz of shellfish oil ain't much of a lure but a squirt into a pocket set catches coon for me sometimes I use a little molasses on a couple of marshmallows sometimes I use golf balls

#2690764 - 08/17/11 10:29 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
coonwild Online   content
trapper

Loc: southern ontario canada
shellfish oil good stuff

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

Matt Duncan

#2690850 - 08/18/11 01:09 AM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: coonwild]
Bigkolo Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: coonwild
shellfish oil good stuff

Expensive though.

#2690989 - 08/18/11 08:18 AM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
coonwild Online   content
trapper

Loc: southern ontario canada
only expensive when you don't catch somthing , it is cost of production

Edited by coonwild (08/18/11 08:19 AM)

my video's: http://www.youtube.com/trappermatt1976

Matt Duncan

#2691443 - 08/18/11 02:37 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
troller1 Offline
trapper

Loc: KS Topeka
I use the fat out of walleye and sun rendered it that made some nice oil
and the walleye where good to

#2691986 - 08/18/11 08:09 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
Bigkolo Offline
trapper

I want to try the clam oil

#2692041 - 08/18/11 08:32 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
Alpha Backflow Offline
trapper

Loc: Lake Co.IL
No two fish oils are the same it depends on were you buy them.A friend got some from F&T.I got mine from MTP.His was light in color mine was very dark.When he took the cap off his you had to put your nose to it to get a good smell.The one from MTP when the cap was off it smelled up the whole place.Same with shellfish I got some from Kattz and some from MTP the one from MTP was 3x stronger.Some times when its a few bucks cheeper its not worth it.I will never buy fish oil or shellfish anywere but MTP.

#2692059 - 08/18/11 08:43 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
conibearguy Offline
trapper

Loc: Randolph, NE
Shellfish oil can be bought for like 3 dollars for a 1 oz.And all it takes is one drop.

Edited by conibearguy (08/18/11 08:44 PM)

#2696097 - 08/22/11 01:37 AM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
gwc Offline
trapper

Loc: eastern shore of Maryland
i just bought four oz of shellfish oil from BlueRidge Supply.owner is Scott Painter on this site from Va.not a thing wrong with his oil,strong smell,bottle says its uncut.also got Red fox urine from him,looks and smells great.MTP have great products,but theyre not the only company out there that can be trusted to have good quality supplies.

New or Used MB 450s Wanted,PM me

#2696714 - 08/22/11 03:00 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: gwc]
Alpha Backflow Offline
trapper

Loc: Lake Co.IL
Originally Posted By: gwc
i just bought four oz of shellfish oil from BlueRidge Supply.owner is Scott Painter on this site from Va.not a thing wrong with his oil,strong smell,bottle says its uncut.also got Red fox urine from him,looks and smells great.MTP have great products,but theyre not the only company out there that can be trusted to have good quality supplies.

Good to know I never bought any thing from them before.Im sure that there are others just like them.All I was trying to say the cheaper is not allways better.That was just the ones I had experinces with.Also the shellfish I got was a gal. and not cheap.

#2696940 - 08/22/11 05:44 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
gwc Offline
trapper

Loc: eastern shore of Maryland
Alpha Backflow,i agree with you,cheaper is not always better.i didnt mean anything by my statement,just that some of the smaller companies also carry some good stuff,and very well may even have the same suppliers as the big companies at times.

New or Used MB 450s Wanted,PM me

#2697379 - 08/22/11 09:24 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
riverrat57 Offline
trapper

Loc: ar
I like sunrender spoonbill oil you don,t need to add a thing to it its the best if you can find it

#2740659 - 09/20/11 10:56 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: riverrat57]
WalleyeWacker Offline
trapper

Loc: S. Wisconsin
Some trappers say coon do not like the taste of shellfish oil; it is just suppose to be a smell attractant. What do you guys think? I like a good salmon oil.

#2740686 - 09/20/11 11:13 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
riverrat57 Offline
trapper

Loc: ar
Walleye wacker I think you are right about the shellfish oil coons love to smell it but as far as the taste of it its very bitter & that will turn a coon off as far as fishoils gos from what I understand sunrender spoonbill oil is number #1 trout # 2 catfish # 3 inn of these 3 sunrender oils is a very good & effective fish oils for coons

#2741960 - 09/21/11 09:13 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: gwc]
Nate_S Offline
trapper

Loc: ohio
I agree Scott Painter is a really nice guy to deal with, his service is just as good as the big companies.

#2742072 - 09/21/11 10:05 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
Carcat Offline
trapper

Loc: Upstate, S.C.
I bought a gallon of fishoil from some supplier that I have forgotten the name of about a year and a half ago. Used some here and there. I kept it in the barn but the barn even gets hot here when the temperatures go over 90 with high humidity. Well I opened it up a few days ago and it smelled like good ole corn oil. I think I will try Blueridge next.

#2743829 - 09/23/11 07:51 AM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
inthetallgrass Offline
trapper

Loc: North of the river in missouri
nothing wrong with F&T's fish oil they just ran a sale at 13.95 a gallon it has enough odor for my intended uses, being mixing lures in with it for a squirt and go approach. It has enough fish odor coupled with some good coon lure mixed in to do a fine job. I have found some of the stronger types to knock out the lure I'm adding and I like the combination of oil and lure far better.

#2744369 - 09/23/11 03:55 PM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: Bigkolo]
BRONZEBACK Offline
trapper

Loc: CONNEAUT LAKE, PENNSYLVANIA
I mix a gallon of salmon oil with a quart of shellfish oil. It seems to work really really well in pockets. I wad up a ball of grass and shoot a couple tablespoons of oil on the grass ball.

#3795095 - 05/10/13 03:02 AM Re: Most effective Fish oil based Coon lure [Re: WalleyeWacker]
Muddy Boots Offline
trapper

Loc: South East Texas
Originally Posted By: WalleyeWacker
Some trappers say coon do not like the taste of shellfish oil; it is just suppose to be a smell attractant. What do you guys think? I like a good salmon oil.

Shellfish oil is made syntheticly and yes it is ver very bitter, that's why its main use is in lures and not baits

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie