Land Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 32 of 33 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2687244 - 08/15/11 09:14 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: FEZZ]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Fezz
Hmm, i saw a video where they put cardboard on the bottom of the cage and the sifted dirt and grass on top, will that work out for foxes?

Fezz! I think we need a little humor in this answer. It's a Good Idea, and a Bad Idea, the good part is if you make it smooth and natural going into the Cage and get the interest, you will catch the Fox. The bad part is the cardboard will be so torn up, that it will look like Times Square after New Years Night. I would just cover the wire with some sifted soil that is right there. Mist some fox urine on the outside front of the Cage, and on the ground going in, to cover up any scent, you might leave behind.

#2687388 - 08/15/11 10:29 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
livetohunt Offline
trapper

Loc: Chester California
I know this post is about Bobcats but while we are talking about fox, whats your thoughts on using Red Fox urine when going after Grey's? I have heard little about it but have read that Grey's dont like Red's and thought if thats the case would they avoid a set or cage's where Red Fox urine is being used.

#2687398 - 08/15/11 10:34 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
livetohunt Offline
trapper

Loc: Chester California
[/quote]George! Sorry I'm not trying to ignore you. Most guys use liquid car wax inside the rails, some use petroleum jelly, I find that collects more dirt. More Cage Builders should use copper or plastic bushings at the pivot points, most feel it's not needed and extra work. [/quote]

Bob I can see where the copper or plastic bushings would help with wet weather and rust, but does it really help much when its frozen? I would think once it get wet then get cold its still going to freeze up. I only ask cause this yr might be trapping in the snow and if its anything like last year there will be lots of it.

#2687432 - 08/15/11 10:55 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: livetohunt]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: livetohunt
I know this post is about Bobcats but while we are talking about fox, whats your thoughts on using Red Fox urine when going after Grey's? I have heard little about it but have read that Grey's dont like Red's and thought if thats the case would they avoid a set or cage's where Red Fox urine is being used.

livetohunt! In the eighty's all I used was Red Fox Urine, because I could get it for $15. a gallon. On my website there's a picture of 104 Grey Fox in 20 days using Red Fox Urine for Grey's. The Fox were caught close to Phoenix in the Bradshaw Mountains. To me Red Fox Urine smells a little skunkier and stronger, than Grey Fox Urine. Now all I use is Bobcat Urine, and at $40. a gallon, that's cheap if I can catch more Cats with it.

#2687455 - 08/15/11 11:22 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: livetohunt]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

livetohunt, Here's a couple of Grey's on the tail gate that was caught on Bobcat Urine!

I really don't think it matters, I try to miss Coyotes, so I don't use Coyote Urine!

#2687490 - 08/16/11 12:04 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: livetohunt]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

George! Sorry I'm not trying to ignore you. Most guys use liquid car wax inside the rails, some use petroleum jelly, I find that collects more dirt. More Cage Builders should use copper or plastic bushings at the pivot points, most feel it's not needed and extra work. [/quote]

Bob I can see where the copper or plastic bushings would help with wet weather and rust, but does it really help much when its frozen? I would think once it get wet then get cold its still going to freeze up. I only ask cause this yr might be trapping in the snow and if its anything like last year there will be lots of it.

livetohunt! If you look at one of my Cages that Jeff posted. You will see the pan pivots above the wire. With the wire covered with soil, the pivot is above the frozen ground. With copper bushings on all pivot points, the copper draws heat, and dries first to prevent ice. If you cover your Cage with plastic, the water won't get in, and prevents freezing inside the Cage.

Inside that screw on the top right is a copper bushing, there are 6 copper bushings in each Cage, all pivot points.

#2687708 - 08/16/11 09:23 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
FEZZ Offline
trapper

Loc: Connecticut
ok, thanks Bob Small, i asked cause i sawa a vid and they caught soemthing, and then it got out and didnt ruin the cardboard other then nail marks

#2688224 - 08/16/11 04:47 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: FEZZ]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Fezz
ok, thanks Bob Small, i asked cause i sawa a vid and they caught soemthing, and then it got out and didnt ruin the cardboard other then nail marks

Fezz! I use 6mil. black plastic to cover the outside of my Cages. I try to miss Fox but Bobcats, will tear the plastic some and I'll have pieces to pick up. One piece of plastic will last about 3 or 4 catches then I have to replace it.

If you look on the left hand side of the Cage you can see the plastic, those Cats tear up the sides. You need to put weight on the plastic, on top and the bottom of the sides. In front of the cage you can see where it has been dug, that Cat can't get his paws through the wire, he is lifting the door and digging. Over the top of their paws their legs are red from the bottom of the door. If I had a latch that didn't have a good lock, there would be no Cat in that Cage.

#2688687 - 08/16/11 09:00 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Loc: Colorado
Dang I have been busy Bob.I was thinking you would have a bunch posted on lure while I was gone .Nope didnt happen lol.
Hey you got any pics of how you make all this lure.Dont think for a minute I will make any I find it more cost effective to buy it.

#2688785 - 08/16/11 09:50 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: sixbits
Dang I have been busy Bob.I was thinking you would have a bunch posted on lure while I was gone .Nope didnt happen lol.
Hey you got any pics of how you make all this lure.Dont think for a minute I will make any I find it more cost effective to buy it.

Pictures of 5 gallon pails, with tubes going into water bottles? A recipe for Lures is not pictures, it's knowing what to put in there. If you put too much extra ingredients in there, then you don't have Gland Lure any more. It's like putting Onions with Mushrooms, the Mushrooms tastes like Onions. One thing for sure you need a fixative. Mel liked to use Ambergris, I like a little Skunk essence also. A Fixative holds the smell there longer, like in Expensive Perfume.

#2688801 - 08/16/11 09:56 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Bob Small
One thing for sure you need a fixative. Mel liked to use Ambergris, I like a little Skunk essence also. A Fixative holds the smell there longer, like in Expensive Perfume.

Hmmm, you ever smell bobcat glands that have been aged 10 years without a fixative? Some mighty catty smelling stuff....

#2688815 - 08/16/11 10:02 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbins
Originally Posted By: Bob Small
One thing for sure you need a fixative. Mel liked to use Ambergris, I like a little Skunk essence also. A Fixative holds the smell there longer, like in Expensive Perfume.

Hmmm, you ever smell bobcat glands that have been aged 10 years without a fixative? Some mighty catty smelling stuff....

Hey Paul! Looks like we are going to get 20,000 Views, is that a record? How many Views would be a record??

#2689051 - 08/16/11 11:33 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: barewire]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: barewire
Bob don't give up yet I still have a need to know but I know there are other guys that can help me. What is the best width of trap should I buy and how long should it be. Is 20" tall enough for the opening? Is 36" long enough or is longer better?

Sid, about your Post a while back, my opinion is the best Cage for bobcats should be a minimum 12" wide, 20" high, and at least 40" long. The reason I say that you will have less refusals, with larger Toms. I Cage Trap with my four Cage Cluster, the smallest Cage is 9x18x42, not the best. I have to pick up a lot of Cages, with a four Cage Cluster I can easily put 40 Cages in the back of my Pickup. Some guys like small short Cages, that's find doesn't bother me.

I have a Convention to go to this weekend, morning comes early, Thanks for the Posts!!

#2689118 - 08/17/11 12:31 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
barewire Offline
trapper

Loc: NM
Hey you got any pics of how you make all this lure.Don't think for a minute I will make any I find it more cost effective to buy it.

I agree! I've tried making lure and bait and have found I get more walk bys than with good store bought stuff. One sorry cat will buy more good lure than I will use all year.

#2690694 - 08/17/11 09:45 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: barewire]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: barewire
Hey you got any pics of how you make all this lure.Don't think for a minute I will make any I find it more cost effective to buy it.

I agree! I've tried making lure and bait and have found I get more walk bys than with good store bought stuff. One sorry cat will buy more good lure than I will use all year.

OK! I was asked how to make Bobcat Gland Lure, and I can't show a picture of a recipe. A fixative holds the smell there, rain, snow and it's still there. Aging and rotting are two different things. Bait can be aged or tainted but if you let it go too far, it's rotten. When the bait gets aged to a certain smell, then you need to hit it with Sodium Benzoate. Gland lure is the same way, you need to preserve the fermenting to a certain point, I use Glycerine. There are other ingredients, like Phenyl Acetic Acid. This releases the smell into the air, and is a carrier. Bobcat Gland Lure is easy to make, you just have to know how ta make it. If done right, you won't have very many refusals or walk bys. Thanks for your POSTS!!

#2690720 - 08/17/11 09:55 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Monster Toms Offline
trapper

Loc: The great cage state Colorado
Cat sets and locations has 134 thousand veiws and no senseless drivel.

www.crittercollector.com

#2692123 - 08/18/11 09:21 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
dcampbell Offline
trapper

Loc: livingston Tx
Bob, or anyone else, what size of cat eyes do I need to buy from that sight someone posted on this thread about 100 pages back. I remember that I need to get the LS in the yellow or green just dont remember what size.

#2692209 - 08/18/11 10:05 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: dcampbell]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: dcampbell
Bob, or anyone else, what size of cat eyes do I need to buy from that sight someone posted on this thread about 100 pages back. I remember that I need to get the LS in the yellow or green just dont remember what size.

dcampbell! 18mm that's the largest size Ed has in stock with all the colors. I just got some of the orange, and they look fantastic! Jeff put us on to some really nice people. Tell Ed, Bob sent you, he knows what he's doing, when it comes to Eyes!

#2692224 - 08/18/11 10:12 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
dcampbell Offline
trapper

Loc: livingston Tx
Thanks Bob, will do just that tomorrow. I am glad you started this post and all of the other cage trappers have chimed in. I have learned a lot about cage trapping cats. I have caught my share in footholds but this is uncharted territory for this trapper. No problem, If I have any questions I know I can ask you cage veterans. Thanks again and have a great weekend.

#2692873 - 08/19/11 01:39 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Monster Toms]
naturallaker Offline
trapper

Loc: new mexico
I can't find the thread "cat sets and locations". Would really like to read it. thanks, dan

Page 32 of 33 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie