Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 31 of 33 < 1 2 ... 29 30 31 32 33 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2679559 - 08/10/11 12:46 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Loc: CA
Heck! even an old blind sow finds an acorn once in a while! LOL

Below is a picture of a dandy cat Sixbite caught last year.

Now tell me smell is not the most important thing to cage trapping.

Edited by Jeff Yancy (08/10/11 12:52 AM)

#2679562 - 08/10/11 12:51 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
barewire Offline
trapper

Loc: NM
Bob don't give up yet I still have a need to know but I know there are other guys that can help me. What is the best width of trap should I buy and how long should it be. Is 20" tall enough for the opening? Is 36" long enough or is longer better?

Edited by barewire (08/10/11 12:52 AM)

#2679565 - 08/10/11 12:56 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Loc: CA
I can tell you that Bob will swear by a 42 inch cage. I can see a benefit from them but I feel very comfortable with a 8 to 10" wide X 18h X 36 inch long cage.

#2679631 - 08/10/11 07:13 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Loc: Colorado
Lol that isnt one of my cats.It has to be one of those funny cats from CA.It looks like he did too many hard drugs in its younger days.Oh and I dont us one of those doors that dont work!Yep sure enough that is a JEFFERYYYYY cat.

#2680069 - 08/10/11 03:33 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Ted H. Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
Thanks for showing me that livetohunt ,i see it now but didnt earlyer, i didnt order from them direct they where twice the price! i ordered from cattoysforless, but it dont matter its still there product being sold! thanks for letting me know , Ted Harbin

#2680322 - 08/10/11 06:23 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: WendellR]
dadicted Offline
trapper

Loc: south central nebraska
Originally Posted By: WendellR
Great post Bob!Here are a few shots to keep it going.

What set was this and Is that trap an OS or closed jaw? What trap btw?

#2680338 - 08/10/11 06:40 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
WendellR Offline
trapper

Loc: TN
dadicted,

That cat was caught at a "walk through" set.Its on a drag so you can't really see the set.

The trap is a 1 3/4 Victor closed jaw.

#2680770 - 08/10/11 11:36 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
dadicted Offline
trapper

Loc: south central nebraska
Is that a two toe catch? I thought about it being on a drag with that long of a chain. That type of catch worries me, expecially when it comes to the $ involved with cats.

#2682855 - 08/12/11 04:25 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
livetohunt Offline
trapper

Loc: Chester California
Is that it are we going to let this post die now? Come on guys there is still so much to talk about so much us new guys can learn. Lets talk more about Lure, Bait, Set location, Cage trap modification.

#2682857 - 08/12/11 04:26 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: tmrschessie]
livetohunt Offline
trapper

Loc: Chester California
Originally Posted By: tmrschessie
Let's see your gland making pictures....Tom

#2682920 - 08/12/11 05:43 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
george Offline
trapper

Loc: utah
Can we talk more about weatherizing cages. I know we talked about plastic, but what else can you do as far as channels on guillotine cages. Trigger rods where they hold doors up, etc. What do you guys doing that aren't using plastic covers. Around here we get rains before the cold front passes through then everything freezes.

#2682925 - 08/12/11 05:47 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
FEZZ Offline
trapper

Loc: Connecticut
Hi, I was wondering, i want to trap a grey or two in some cages. I know that they wont come in if the yfeel the wire, so how should i prevent this? If i use dirt, should i do anything to it, basically what kidn of dirt should i use?

#2683294 - 08/12/11 10:26 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
el diablo Offline
trapper

I think most of us just use the dirt at the site and cover the bottom of the cage to and including the pan. Behind the pan doesn't matter.

#2683863 - 08/13/11 02:46 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

HEY BOB I thought we were going to talk about making gland lure???? whats up you working tooo much to tell me how you do it?
I buy all mine but I do have some good cat peee I use.

#2683970 - 08/13/11 04:56 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: sixbits
HEY BOB I thought we were going to talk about making gland lure???? whats up you working tooo much to tell me how you do it?
I buy all mine but I do have some good cat peee I use.

Sixbits! I wasn't going to post anymore, because people seem to have lost interest. I have been making, using, and selling Lure for over 25 years, and have learned from the animals attracted. I have tried all kinds of formulas and the best thing I find is to keep it simple.(KISS). Everybody has their own methods, but there are some basic things you need to know. Making good Gland Lure is like making fine wine, you can't let it turn to vinegar, and fermenting is key. I use a five gallon pail with an air tight lid, drill a small hole in the lid, screw in a small threaded coupling, and press on a 1/4" diameter length of tubing. The end of the tubing goes in a bottle of water, so it can let gas out but no air in. When making Bobcat Gland Lure I use only Repo's and grind them up real fine, as many times through as it takes. The glands in the container are ready for the next step, when they stop fermenting or giving off gas.

#2684025 - 08/13/11 05:45 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Bob,I have been told to bury the bucket so it stays at 65.any truth to that?

#2684198 - 08/13/11 08:37 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: sixbits
Bob,I have been told to bury the bucket so it stays at 65.any truth to that?

Gene! I don't bury anything, I find the warmer it is, the faster the lure works. Most of the time the fermenting process, doesn't take any longer, than a few months.

#2684327 - 08/13/11 09:57 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: george]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: george
Can we talk more about weatherizing cages. I know we talked about plastic, but what else can you do as far as channels on guillotine cages. Trigger rods where they hold doors up, etc. What do you guys doing that aren't using plastic covers. Around here we get rains before the cold front passes through then everything freezes.

George! Sorry I'm not trying to ignore you. Most guys use liquid car wax inside the rails, some use petroleum jelly, I find that collects more dirt. More Cage Builders should use copper or plastic bushings at the pivot points, most feel it's not needed and extra work.

#2685919 - 08/15/11 12:06 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Loc: Arizona
Last year I prepped my trap joints with plain old WD40. Initially I worried the smell was bad news to bobcats but I caught a good number of them. I sprayed it on and let it sit outside a day or so then put them out in the field.

Recently I purchase a teflon lubricant spray at Home Depot. I will use that this season.

#2686227 - 08/15/11 11:11 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
FEZZ Offline
trapper

Loc: Connecticut
Hmm, i saw a video where they put cardboard on the bottom of the cage and the sifted dirt and grass on top, will that work out for foxes?

Page 31 of 33 < 1 2 ... 29 30 31 32 33 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie