General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Tips for Beginners [Re: possum king15863] #267679
07/20/07 11:29 PM
07/20/07 11:29 PM
Central NY
NYNovice Offline
trapper
NYNovice  Offline
trapper

Central NY
ttt. some great info here guys.

TrapperMans FIRST Haiku Master:
Misted Over Dawn
Cherry Red On the Hillside
A Moment Stands Still

Re: Tips for Beginners [Re: NYNovice] #267864
07/21/07 09:06 AM
07/21/07 09:06 AM
plattsburg, missouri
G
grumpy Offline
trapper
grumpy  Offline
trapper
G

plattsburg, missouri
always carry a cellphone. maybe you won't need, maybe you will. but, what if one of your family members NEED YOU!!! it's a good little piece of insurance to have with you.

always use a walking stick of some kind when you're setting water sets. it's a handy thing to have.

when setting up for beaver, i always try to have an extra pair of hands along with me. you never know when they'll be needed. plus it makes setting up beaver a whole lot faster.

try to take at least two interested parties with you on your line at different times of the season. it makes the day go faster. plus you may be creating a new trapper for the fraternity.

remember, every move or action you take reflects upon the entire trapping community. keep that in mind every second you're trapping.

use the best anchoring system you can find. you don't want critters running around with extra hardware attached for some one to take a picture of.

when you've done all your skinning for the day and you're pooped, take the time to show that youngster how to skin a coon when he brings it to your front door wanting a little help. sure, you're tired. BUT DO IT ANYWAY.

have fun.

the grump.

Author of: Box of Dreams www.createspace.com/3799856
Re: Tips for Beginners [Re: grumpy] #267894
07/21/07 09:48 AM
07/21/07 09:48 AM
WI
Ferris Offline
trapper
Ferris  Offline
trapper

WI
Walking stick is a must for water trapping.My dad started me with a garden hoe.It sounds funny but take the blade off and paint it orange.Then you have a walking stick, plus a hook for grabing trap chains.

Re: Tips for Beginners [Re: Ferris] #267964
07/21/07 11:01 AM
07/21/07 11:01 AM
Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
K
k9. Offline
trapper
k9.  Offline
trapper
K

Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
If you think the animal is smarter than you, then he is.

Get in the habit of reading the bottom of a creek before you get into the water and muddy it up. Look for those coon tracks and other tracks in the muddy bottom, first, assess which side of the creek is best, then get in.

If possible walk into the current of a stream so you are always looking into clean water, and not muddying the water in front of you. This will allow you to see a lot more tracks, rat dens, etc than if you are walking with the current, and your muddy water is flowing in front of you at all times.

If another trapper is setting in your area, and is not tagging his stuff, do not ignore it, deal with it. I know most of us try to mind our own business but an untagged trap is a problem waiting to happen, and the owner will not step up if there is a problem with his equipment. I have left notes on peoples traps, and that usually results in it being tagged or pulled.

Re: Tips for Beginners [Re: k9.] #268143
07/21/07 01:59 PM
07/21/07 01:59 PM
Louisiana
garett Offline
trapper
garett  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
bring a machete for chopping stuff

put matches and cell phones in a sandwich bag with lots of a in case you get in the water and they will float and stay dry

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91