Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 5 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32 33 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2654300 - 07/21/11 06:47 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: cagem]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Cagem, I have been trapping bobcats for a long time and know how much work and time that you must put in to catch that many Bobcats. I understand you trap California and Arizona, and was wondering how many Cages you use? I put a lot of time out there myself, how many days do you trap? You must have some killer sets and would like you to show us some. Any information you can give us would sure help! Thanks for your pictures and post!! Bob

#2654319 - 07/21/11 07:03 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Loc: Ca, Az
I have been trapping for 4 years now. In 2009 I had 25 cages and caught 84 cats. In 2010 I had 42 cages and caught 96 cats. I trap the entire season around 120 days give or take a few for travel back and forth. I have plenty of pictures of cats in cages but not really of my set locations but i will go back and look. I keep it simple and try not to over think everything.
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2654328 - 07/21/11 07:11 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Loc: Arizona
180 bobcats is 2 seasons is quite an accomplishment. Do you use any type of a visual attractor in or around your cage sets?

#2654338 - 07/21/11 07:23 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: cagem]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Cagem, I know you put a lot of time and effort into Cage Trapping, when your out there dry camping, running your line. Do you skin them as you catch them, while their still warm? I know you have to flesh and stretch, probably before you go to sleep. Then turn the fur the next morning before you go back out. That's how I do it, how do you process your fur? Thanks! Bob

#2654452 - 07/21/11 08:56 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

Loc: Magna, Utah
As far as I'm aware off there are no other units being made with the options of mine. The units take four AA's and will last to 8 to 10 days depending on the cold temps. You can also use large 6 volt square lantern battery's that take the cold temps much better and get to 3 weeks with them.

The solar panels work with nicad metal hydrate battery's and all you need is to place the panel in a sunny spot during the day, very easy with the units.

My unit is the only one made with the option to play night or day or 24 hours as well. quite nice for high people traffic areas.

I mentioned earlier the need to know your target as canines react very differently than cats do to the units. Still there has been no problem attracting either to sets or cages.

One has to block and set according to the target. Burying the unit does a disservice to the sound playing and usually results in a lost unit.

Most units are place high enough for good sound dispersion to call other targets. And if one is smart they should always gang set when using squeakers. Your more apt to catch more than one animal with them.

Canines usually will stop about 30 yds or so away and circle the units, trying to scent the distressed animal. this lets you make sets all around the unit with traps or snares. As a side note when your thru with the unit at a canine set you should leave the set in as canines now will break that distance line and investigate where the sound went. Giving you a second try to connect with them. Always leave a set where you had the unit placed.

Cats will always investigate them, the only thing found that will turn them off is to much volume. I always try to persuade customers to use bird sounds or rodent sounds with cats for lower volume, though you can lower the volume by careful placing of the unit, or covering half of the speaker holes with a piece of plastic or card board.

When using cages most cats will enter trying to find or access the unit, it's a matter of time before their curiosity gets the best of them and they commit to it. I've had people send me pics of where the cats had laid done or sat down right at the door then entered.

Now I'm not saying every cat is going to enter the cage but I'll go as so far to say they will investigate the area where the unit is placed.

How you convince them to enter is the key, some cover the bottom screen for a natural appeal look others will do the feathers at the back of the cage, still others had me wire extra wires in to the units to use LED's with them.

Education about your target is pretty key with using squeakers one must learn how a target reacts to sound and then use this factor against them to capture that target.

Once you do this you will always have squeakers in your arsenal of tools to use.

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

www.wasatchwild.com

#2654639 - 07/21/11 10:29 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Grit Guy, I need to order 6 of your calls from you(please PM me with quote). I process my fur as i catch them. I usally put up fur in the mornings and turn before I leave for the day. Fur put up is a constant thing if you don't keep up u will fall behind quickly. Where do all of you guys sell your fur? I sell in Fallon, NV and I have never meet any of you except for Jeff and he hasn't sold any there in 3 years. What kind of numbers are you catching. It's kind of hard to tell who knows what there talking about on these forums. I know everyone is trying to sell me something and make like it's the fix all. It's hard to tell who is working for who thou?
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2654650 - 07/21/11 10:36 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: GritGuy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

OK! What's going on? has everyone gone to sleep already? Supper is over, let's get back to work. If there's no more posts on SOUND, then let's go to SIGHT, this is going to be bigger. SIGHT! The Bobcat also hunts with his eyes and can spot movement from a long distance. Some guys use flags strips of white tape, some use spinner and buzz baits linked together, I like feathers! I go to Wal Mart and buy a down pillow for about $20. This is not game animal parts, that are illegal in Arizona. Then when setting my Cage, I start scratching up the ground in front of the Cage and start throwing feathers around, trailing into and even in the back of the cage. Are there any other ideas out there for SIGHT!! Thanks!! Bob

#2654657 - 07/21/11 10:46 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: cagem]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Cagem! Relax I'm not trying to sell you anything, I don't know what you mean by 6 of our calls, but hope I will find out. Look at the post I just made Sight we just finished Sound. We're trading Ideas to help each a other catch more Bobcats and would like your help! We want you to be with us and have a lot of qualified Cage Trappers in our posts. Join us and have some fun! Thanks!! Bob

#2654664 - 07/21/11 10:50 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

Cagem, you can order off the website, though be prepared for a wait ! I'm already behind with the summer orders now. I build off of waiting lists any more as I cannot keep up with orders any more, just me making them and it's time consuming with multiple orders. So any one ordering should plan on some patience.
-------------------------

I used to think sight was a very good way to trap for cats until I started using squeakers in the mid 70's. I used the regular things feathers, foil and assorted reflector gizzies.

What I found was that you needed to be on location more for viewing, which was quite time consuming to me.

I also was into trying the LED's as well and found them to be problematic for viewing as well. So I stopped using them and was quite happy to find my first squeaker unit and use them until my last one got stolen and I developed my own.

I believe that one still can use sight as an attractor but do not feel it as efficient as sound is for cats.

www.wasatchwild.com

#2654694 - 07/21/11 11:22 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

I take my fur up to last week in January to the Arizona Trappers Association sale in Globe. It's early in the selling circuit and I feel we get hit price-wise since we are one of the first sales. Around 5 buyers show face and last year it was a live auction, which proved beneficial to sellers. I have went up to the ATA sale 4 years in a row now and will continue as I support my local trappers association as we give a small percentage of our take to them. Fur for the remainder of the season gets sold to Dennis Kerbish (sp?) of Globe Fur Sales. He is fair and gives me the prices that I received at the auction or better (he often buys much of the fur at the ATA convention). Fallon is always a lure as prices are always higher but none of us wants to make the trek up there with only 75-100 pelts, even though the money is there. NAFA is also a thought but if your fur doesn't get the estimated beginning bid, its held, and I want my money as soon as I can, even if I take a small hit money-wise.

GritGuy- I think adding sound would be beneficial. I enjoy using an electronic caller when predator calling and have hundreds of sound files from various companies. What bird noises and rabbit distress and fox distress sounds do you program into your units? Something you've come up with on your own? What size speaker is in the unit? Paper or Mylar cone?

#2654832 - 07/22/11 06:28 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

Hyper, I use the same calls on the units that I call when using my rifle.

Red Fox, Cotton Tail, and Yellow hammer wood pecker are the ones on the unit. Though
I have several different ones when customers want a custom unit. If they
give me permission to keep the sound. I keep them in separate files for repeat customers and others who need special sounds. I also have many other of my own to mix things up for different areas when needed when I hunt as well.

Animals hunt by sound more than sight I believe with the eyes and nose being secondary assurance of what they have heard. It's no coincidence why they have such superb hearing.

Trappers not utilizing such a great tool against their targets are missing out on a easy way to a larger harvest.

www.wasatchwild.com

#2654883 - 07/22/11 07:32 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Hey grit I just ordered 6 caller from you hopefully i can get them by the end of September. I am looking forward to seeing if i can pull some cats off of private property.
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2655545 - 07/22/11 03:55 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Loc: CA
Hey Gene, Seriously. Have you tried any of them "Tater Biscuits" Otie(Coloradocat)is making? They have a great long distance call lure added to them and work great for eye appeal too. If he could just incorporate a sound to them, I think they would be the CATS MEOW. Got any ideas?

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/22/11 03:56 PM)

#2655682 - 07/22/11 05:49 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Jeff! Your stuff went out today, what are you using for SIGHT attractors, in front of your Cage?

Sixbits, Do you ever use a single door, with any SIGHT attractor, in front? I hope your not going to tell me biscuits and gravy.

Thanks! Bob

#2655840 - 07/22/11 07:19 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Hey sixbits!! Who do you sell your fur too?
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2655845 - 07/22/11 07:20 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Gene- I use John Grahams lure and find it works well. I am looking into using Montana Magic from Halseth this upcoming season. I use a gland lure exclusively throughout the trapping season but this stuff from Halseth seems to get the job done for many trappers here in the Southwest so I will try it.

It's tough to know if new lures, visual attractants, sound attractors, are making a difference when there are so many variables involved in trapping.

Interesting looking cage above. Great looking red. I wish we had more of them in Arizona. We have such small pockets of them up North, few ever even see one.

GritGuy- I disagree with your opinion that predators primarily use their sense of hearing over sight and smell. I think specific species tends to favor one sense over another but all K9s (coyote, fox, and wolves) are going to rely on their olfactory system first and foremost. Studies show that coyotes, when in their familiar environment, respond stronger to olfactory stimuli than anything else. That's science, not an opinion. I do agree the sense of hearing plays a major roll in all predators and possibly more of a roll in bobcats when investigating. I know of no studies confirming this but my calling experience points me in this direction.

#2655907 - 07/22/11 07:51 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Oh ya!! I've seen them in fallon they never win the bid on any of my fur.

2011 96 cats Petska bought None
2010 84 cats Petska bought None
2009 95 cats Paper work is missing
2008 99 cats Petska bought (6) 612 avg

I guess they get all their fur in the country and they are out of money in fallon? Or my fur is not what there looking for?

What do you think?
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2655921 - 07/22/11 07:59 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska
Gene, thats my truck in the back... .whats going on.

#2655998 - 07/22/11 08:45 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

Every own entitled to their own opinion, no worries. My experience tells me that I've had a lot more success working with the ears than the nose of predators.

I'm not saying one should just use sound, the units are designed to bring animals to the area for investigation. The longer one can keep a target in the area the chances go up your going to catch them, regardless of what type of tool your using.

Sound brings animals in for me much easier all thru the season than waiting on a lure scent to disperse or trying to find the best location or hoping a target is in the area.

Sound solves these problems without me having to worry about them.

www.wasatchwild.com

#2656072 - 07/22/11 09:48 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

With cages I defiantly think they'd be beneficial.

Page 5 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32 33 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie