Land Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 4 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 32 33 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2654069 - 07/21/11 04:27 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
Spotted Fever Offline
trapper

Loc: Loma,CO
The double doors that I use are pretty long and I brush up the trap to make the trap the EASY route . It is no different than using a snare or conibear . Thanks

#2654083 - 07/21/11 04:34 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Spotted Fever]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Dan! I didn't mean a dig by that, I'm not used to using Cages with no pan tension. I was talking about trail sets, with no pan tension apparently you have pan tension on yours. Your the first so far that have found digs in my responses, if I offended you, I'm Sorry. I also appreciate your posts on the thread. Thanks! Bob

Jeff, Otis called me and asked about squeakers, I didn't have any left. Then assumed he got them someplace else and was using them. That's what I get for assuming things, into trouble that I don't need!

The pictures look great Thanks! Bob

#2654092 - 07/21/11 04:39 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Loc: Arizona
Todd, good looking picture. Angle is ideal to see how the trap worked into the natural travel route. Guess finding these travel routes is the ticket to success.

#2654110 - 07/21/11 04:47 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Spotted Fever]
Monster Toms Online   content
trapper

Loc: The great cage state Colorado
Originally Posted By: Spotted Fever
The double doors that I use are pretty long and I brush up the trap to make the trap the EASY route . It is no different than using a snare or conibear . Thanks

Dan, that cage is 48" long and 20" tall when set, Just enough brush on top to make the deer jump over.
Your right they set where you would use a snare.

Edited by Monster Toms (07/21/11 04:51 PM)

www.crittercollector.com

#2654119 - 07/21/11 04:58 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Gene- you're right. Get us back on track with some experienced trapper tips you use to get a bobcat to enter your cages.

#2654127 - 07/21/11 05:03 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Loc: CA
Your killin' me Gene!!! ROFLMAO

#2654148 - 07/21/11 05:16 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
coloradocat Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Colorado
OH!!!!! Leave it to mister Yancy. Although in defense of the man who sold the idea of the spinner bait, I would try any other idea he had for the fact he consistently harvests 80 plus cats a year with a cage. So I tend to listen to someone who has 400 plus cats in the last 5 years with cages. That being said, to answer the question about squeakers. I have used them in certain circumstances. Particularly where a cat is walking down a traveled road and I need to get him off the road. Or another place comes to mind where I didnt have permission on other side of fence. Not a tool I use consistently, but a tool that is available when the circumstance warrants. I have found that the Fur-Finders will attract alot of lions.

I might add that a couple of these guys are spot on when discussing walk through type cages, although I wouldnt want a enitre collectioln of them I think they do have there place on cage lines. My personal opinion on pan tension on traps is, your can eliminate small rodents from firing traps.(A.k.a. bunnies, ringtails,packrats) but I dont wanna miss a grey fox, coon, or even the lowly skunk which by the way make me about $42 apiece all said and done. Thats fuel for the day, or money for additional things. Why I dont expect most guys to target anything but cats, I cant see leaving additional money behind. Maybe I was just a scholar in economics, or maybe just ambitious.

I enjoy a good thread on caging, guys tossing ideas around. But most always turn into a waste of time. I think we all at times miss the boat on focusing to much on the particular trap. They all work, most have the photos or the testimonials to prove that. But there is so much more to trapping then just the trap. The traps have proven themselves. Its cool that everyone is trying to refine a idea, make it better, streamline its effeciency whether producing or using. But bashing because of stolen ideas is assanine. A great coyote trapper out of MT once said, "people believe that they came up with a idea, and if they would just take the time to do a little research they would find most ideas have already been found". But beings they just figured it out, they think they came up with the idea. Theres alot of truth in that.

#2654155 - 07/21/11 05:22 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
coloradocat Offline
trapper

BTW!!! There is alot of truth to the biscuit thingy. Its a secret bait that was passed down to me from a trapper in CA. We call them cat biscuits, probably one of the most precious bobcat baits in the world. Not sold within 500 miles of CO or Goober,CA.

That pic of me makes me look like twisted steel and sex appeal!!!!!!

Edited by coloradocat (07/21/11 05:24 PM)

#2654163 - 07/21/11 05:27 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
trapper867 Offline
trapper

Loc: north central nebraska
I would think a double door would work well in culverts and wouldn't be that hard to block them there. Just a thought because I don't own one YET.

Edited by trapper867 (07/21/11 05:28 PM)

#2654168 - 07/21/11 05:31 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Otis- A gray fox last year at the ATA auction was $15-18 tops. They have a lot of fat on them and take more time to clean them up. I'd prefer to spend my time with bobcats. To each their own though.

Gene- You're a fountain of knowledge. Just not sure it has anything to do with trapping. smile

#2654170 - 07/21/11 05:31 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Otie calls 'em "TATER BISCUITS" but they're just plain ol' biscuits! I Think! laugh
Yeah, ol Gene is full of knowledge and about the only one that's got a chuckle out of me lately. Most are just too serious!!!

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/21/11 05:35 PM)

#2654175 - 07/21/11 05:35 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
coloradocat Offline
trapper

Scott, box them little beautys up, I will put them up for a $14 average.LOL

#2654179 - 07/21/11 05:38 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: coloradocat]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Otis, what your saying makes a lot of sense! If you go back to my first post I said a Bobcat has 3 main senses,I call them the three S's, Sound, Sight and Smell. We are on the first sense Sound. I know just because I started this thread I don't own it, but I'm trying to help myself and others. I want to get through this thing, and it is bringing a lot of interest, especially from Paul. This got deleted once I don't want to see this happen again, and we're all looking at a blank screen. I am trying to keep some kind of an outline going here. This is going somewhere, please help! Thanks!! Bob

#2654184 - 07/21/11 05:41 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Loc: Ca, Az
Pictures are worth a thousand words!!
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2654201 - 07/21/11 05:51 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Thats a nice looking dog! laugh

#2654215 - 07/21/11 05:57 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

You ought to rake that sand some.

#2654231 - 07/21/11 06:06 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
coloradocat Offline
trapper

Oh Bob, your just trying to suck up to me for another rib eye at the rendezvous. Have Weber, will travel. That was for Bob 1, not Bob 2. Two many bobs in this world.

Edited by coloradocat (07/21/11 06:09 PM)

#2654235 - 07/21/11 06:07 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Loc: Ca, Az

The dog is definetly a number 1 biscuit eater!!

Edited by cagem (07/21/11 06:20 PM)
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2654267 - 07/21/11 06:27 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Monster Toms Online   content
trapper

Loc: The great cage state Colorado
Hey Odie, I got started on Phase one of keeping the skunks out of the cages today.

PS chances are these were not built with an ORIGINAL design.

www.crittercollector.com

#2654275 - 07/21/11 06:30 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Are you copying Gene again.

Page 4 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 32 33 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie