Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 18 of 33 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32 33 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2667433 - 08/01/11 12:49 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Livetrap Offline
trapper

Loc: California for now but soon, N...
Thanks for all the help! Does quality red fox urine have any place in cat trapping?

#2667434 - 08/01/11 12:50 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
Livetrap Offline
trapper

Loc: California for now but soon, N...
Originally Posted By: Jeff Yancy
Chris, you can catch Cats 10 minutes from your house. Guaranteed. There is lots of cats within 10 miles from town too.

which town?

#2667438 - 08/01/11 01:42 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Livetrap]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Lets get on a new topic, I like the Nevada Stretch, and think it brings in more money, for my Bobcat Pelts! Am I the only one that thinks this way? I like a #6 wire Coyote stretcher, with a rounded nose. A piece of 7 x 10 x 3/16 plywood fastened to the hooks on the bottom, so I can slide it up and down. I turn the cats when the leather starts to stiffen, and like to get a stretch from nose to the base of the tail at least 36" or more. I use plenty of Borax, wooden stretchers I'm not used to, but can see where they would make a Cat look thicker. They just seem to make the Cat look too wide at the bottom! I like my Cats about the same width from the shoulders to the tail, and not look like an arrow! Can anyone help me stretch my Cats better??

#2667440 - 08/01/11 02:28 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
livetohunt Offline
trapper

Loc: Chester California
Does everyone flip their cats? This last yr was my first trapping and putting up fur, I called in a few Coyotes and put them up but I used lots of Borax and put them up fur out. They all turned out very nice and were ready to come off the stretchers in a few day. Just wanted to know if there was a benefit to statring them one way then flipping? Thanks

#2667491 - 08/01/11 06:37 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: livetohunt]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: livetohunt
Does everyone flip their cats? This last yr was my first trapping and putting up fur, I called in a few Coyotes and put them up but I used lots of Borax and put them up fur out. They all turned out very nice and were ready to come off the stretchers in a few day. Just wanted to know if there was a benefit to statring them one way then flipping? Thanks

Chris! Not everyone flips their Cats. Fleshing is very important and some high dollar Cats have quite a bit of fat around the belly area. Borax rubbing helps, but when your dealing with $600. Cats, I prefer to turn them. The reason is to dry as much oil from the leather as possible. Starting leather side out until the leather starts to stiffen rubbing with Borax then turn fur side out, does a better job. You want to do the best job possible, the shape of the cat also contributes, Fur Buyers will reward you for this. Thanks!! Bob

#2667527 - 08/01/11 07:43 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Livetrap]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Livetrap
Thanks for all the help! Does quality red fox urine have any place in cat trapping?

Livetrap! Most urine will attract predators, even human urine. I used to use Red Fox Urine mainly because it's cheaper. I find that bobcat urine is better when Cage Trapping high dollar Cats!

#2667606 - 08/01/11 09:40 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
CAGEYCAT Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Bob Small
Lets get on a new topic, I like the Nevada Stretch, and think it brings in more money, for my Bobcat Pelts! Am I the only one that thinks this way? I like a #6 wire Coyote stretcher, with a rounded nose. A piece of 7 x 10 x 3/16 plywood fastened to the hooks on the bottom, so I can slide it up and down. I turn the cats when the leather starts to stiffen, and like to get a stretch from nose to the base of the tail at least 36" or more. I use plenty of Borax, wooden stretchers I'm not used to, but can see where they would make a Cat look thicker. They just seem to make the Cat look too wide at the bottom! I like my Cats about the same width from the shoulders to the tail, and not look like an arrow! Can anyone help me stretch my Cats better??

Bob ,All these cats are put up on wood stretchers.The key to wood is not to stretch the bottom out, go for more lenghth.

#2667620 - 08/01/11 09:59 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: CAGEYCAT]
YamaCat Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevada
Bob, back when I used Wire for the Cats. I would sometimes use as many as 4 in order to get the right look and thickness. Now, it's all wood and never Flip 'em.

Edited by YamaCat (08/01/11 10:02 AM)

#2667621 - 08/01/11 10:00 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: CAGEYCAT]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Brett, There's no doubt you do a beautiful job, and catch some high dollar Cats. You have to remember most of these guys are beginners, they want to know how you get these Cats to look like this? Do you turn your Cats, from leather to fur? How about Borax, do you use any? Start from a skinned Cat, and tell us how you get such beautiful Cats?? Great post!!

#2667627 - 08/01/11 10:08 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: YamaCat]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: YamaCat
Bob, back when I used Wire for the Cats. I would sometimes use as many as 4 in order to get the right look and thickness. Now, it's all wood and never Flip 'em.

YamaCat! Otis called the other day and asked some questions about our ATA Convention the end of August. He is bringing a half dozen wooden stretchers for me, I'm going to try them this year, but I'm not sure just how to use them. I thought they hindered the drying process with all that wood and no air to get inside. Tell me how to use them?? Thanks!!

#2667636 - 08/01/11 10:16 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
YamaCat Offline
trapper

Extreme Fleshing, (never any Fat left), Lots of Borax. Did I say lots of Borax? Cameron has some real good Step by Step, for this procedure archived on here somewhere. And Mercer has a real helpful DVD showing the Put-Up. My Boards are probably alot thicker than most, and Air-circulation hasn't been a problem.

#2667656 - 08/01/11 10:31 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: YamaCat]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: YamaCat
Extreme Fleshing, (never any Fat left), Lots of Borax. Did I say lots of Borax? Cameron has some real good Step by Step, for this procedure archived on here somewhere. And Mercer has a real helpful DVD showing the Put-Up. My Boards are probably alot thicker than most, and Air-circulation hasn't been a problem.

YamaCat! Mercer gave me his Video last year, we exchange them. I think he did an excellent job, I noticed when he turned a Cat, he switched stretchers. Was that because the wood soaks up the oil or fat? Do you put a sealer on the wood, so it doesn't absorb the grease? I would like to know more about wooden stretchers? Great post with the picture. Thanks!!

#2667675 - 08/01/11 10:50 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
YamaCat Offline
trapper

I flesh them on an older style wood stretcher with a more rounded nose. When the fleshing is done, the proper size stretcher is selected and the pelt is pinned on. I've never sealed any of these boards, (Pine and Redwood) They kind of season themselves, thru time. I'll get some pictures of the boards I use, but right now, I've got to get to the Hills and look for a Buckskin Cedar, for some decoration in the Back Yard. (wifes orders) Tough job but - - -well you know the saying.

#2667680 - 08/01/11 10:56 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Loc: CA
I have always put up my cats with the legs out and wide and always thought they would showcase the belly better. My latest buyer is a cutter and also said he likes them that way. After taking a step back and comparing mine to the last few pics, I think I will try the Nevada stretch this year. They look so much better put up that way.
Do you guys ever have any hair slippage at the top of the arms?
I just ordered the cat put up video too. There are alot of tricks out there, so I'm sure it will help out.

Edited by Jeff Yancy (08/01/11 11:05 AM)

#2667700 - 08/01/11 11:23 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
Thanks fellas, this thread is helpful. I don't have to use cages, but may try so I can release females. Last year had a few cats look at my conibear cubbys, then walk away. I ended up snaring them on their trails near my cubbys. I snared a large male, 37 pounds (looked heavier than that) and a 26 lb female ten feet from each other, but a couple days apart, on the same trail 20 feet from my cubby. It would have been nice to have a cage set so I could release the female. Live and learn.

#2667703 - 08/01/11 11:26 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Jeff! Your not going to believe this, but if you look at my foothold video on Trapping Bobcats, I made back in the 85'-86' season that's how I used to put them up. Then I asked a number of Fur Buyers, how they liked them and kept hearing about the Nevada Stretch. This Stretch has been out over 20 years, and more people are using it. Mercer has an excellent Video showing this stretch, with wooden stretchers. Great post! I know you don't like to show your Cats, and noticed there are a bunch hidden! Thanks!!

#2668260 - 08/01/11 07:28 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Bob Small
Jeff! Fort Morgan is about eighty miles Northeast of Denver. Colorado always have their Conventions on Labor Day Weekend, and it's always in the boonies!!
They also throw a couple of half's of beer, on Saturday night, drink until the're gone. Why do you think Schroeder goes every year, to sell Cages?? HaHa
Thanks!! Bob

Hey Bob, this is my usual load. When you sell a load like this, the beer always goes down good.

#2668273 - 08/01/11 07:36 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Loc: Colorado
If all those traps folded up it wouldnt look so big.LOL

#2668283 - 08/01/11 07:44 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
last chance Offline
trapper

Loc: kansas
man you guys are hard on each other lol

#2668338 - 08/01/11 08:13 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Loc: Colorado
John I never met anyone that didnt like you.always enjoy talking with you .Gene

Page 18 of 33 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32 33 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie