Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 ... 32 33 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2653217 - 07/20/11 10:59 PM Bobcats - How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
I have been trapping Bobcats for a while, and had to Adapt to Cages In Arizona. I have little interest, in Cage Trapping other animals. The Bobcat has three main senses, Sound, Sight, and Smell, I call them the three S's. Let's take the first sense Sound: Has anyone used Electronic Squeakers? What were your results? Was there a certain brand that you liked? I can't seem to find them anymore. Thanks! Bob

#2653229 - 07/20/11 11:12 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Loc: CA
Hey! what happened to the other post?

#2653237 - 07/20/11 11:18 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
DSmith Offline
trapper

Loc: Loveland, CO
Yeah, Really? Where'd it go?

That was one of the most constructive and genuinely beneficial threads I've ever seen on the subject.
Now all that info is gone? What happened?

#2653238 - 07/20/11 11:18 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
CAGEYCAT Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Jeff Yancy
Hey! what happened to the other post?

You say somthing wrong Jeff??

#2653240 - 07/20/11 11:20 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Loc: CA
Oh be quiet Brett! You trouble maker!

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/20/11 11:21 PM)

#2653242 - 07/20/11 11:23 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
It's that old "No Advertising" thing that got the last post in trouble...

#2653243 - 07/20/11 11:23 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Sorry Jeff! It was taken off, I'm not used to the rules, and Paul politely explained them to me, Paul is a great guy, don't blame him.

#2653248 - 07/20/11 11:26 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
CAGEYCAT Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern California
What is your take on the squeakers Jeff?I have not tried them.

#2653253 - 07/20/11 11:27 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: DSmith]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Sorry Dennis! Paul has rules he has to go by, I got started on the wrong foot, Please don't blame Paul!!

#2653257 - 07/20/11 11:30 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: CAGEYCAT]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Come on Otis, I know you use squeakers sometimes, give me a shot, Paul is just doing his job!

#2653260 - 07/20/11 11:32 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
I know Grit Guy on here has squeakers he sells, but I don't know much about them since I'm an old beaver trapper....

Grit, tell us about your squeakers...

#2653306 - 07/21/11 12:34 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
trapper867 Offline
trapper

Loc: north central nebraska
I have a few of Grit's squeakers, THEY WORK..When the weather is COLD it takes alot of batteries. But they have there place for sure. I had a cage when I first started using them that was on a ridge point way off the line of travel but got a skift of snow and followed this big cat track for about 200 yrds right to the cage and looking back that would have been the only way that cat would have ever went over there. Learned alot since then but I do know for a fact that squeaker is the only reason for that cat to go over there and get caught. The trap wasn't even close to being on location but the squeaker made him commit. That cat paid for all the squeakers and alot of traps too. Thanks Grit!!

#2653349 - 07/21/11 06:04 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: trapper867]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

867 Thanks! Now were getting somewhere. You say the squeakers you bought from Grit worked. What brand are they? What size batteries, how many, and how long do the batteries last, in cold weather? Did you put the squeaker in the Cage, above the cage, where? Would you use these squeakers at every Cage set if you had them? Has anyone else used SQUEAKERS ??? Bob

#2653366 - 07/21/11 06:35 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

Loc: Magna, Utah
Never seen this post before sorry.

I make a squeaker and have done so for about 13 years now, mine have evolved from a single electronic chirp to now having actual distress animal sounds on them for real life effect.

Squeakers work on a animals curiosity desire and interest to feed it self. They work all the time just like a trap or snare. In cold weather or warm. All that matters is the life of the battery's, which I have no control over.

Mine are small have a battery life of 8 to 11 days with double AA's to 32 degree temps, with a 6 volt battery they can go to about 3 weeks or so when it gets to freezing they slow down as the cold stops the battery action. I can set you up with solar power as well if you desire that cost, you will never by battery again once you pay for the nickel hydrates to charge though.

Squeakers can be placed close to your set or far away depending on the target cats and canines react quite different to sounds and you should know abit about your target before using the units or you can be quite frustrated at how the animals come into the units.

All predators will react to the units given the ability to hear the unit. I've never had one complain that they did not have some interest in the units while using them. However the unit will not put the animal in your set they merely bring the animal to the area to investigate. And while there they move about trying to find the source of the sound which gives you more opportunity to catch them.

Location of seat in correlation to using the unit is important with different species, and you must have animals in the area to hear the unit. Animals have a tremendous hearing ability and the units can actually draw them from quite a distance. It's not unusual to have people tell me of finding tracks from a different ridge line lead right up to their sets on a separate one.

There are many ways to use the units, placing them with cages as needed here would be above the cage and block visual of the unit as well as make the cage to the only access to find the unit. You may funnel the target to the are by moving the target with guides or by placing the unit in areas where the animal can only move a certain way.

The animals will investigate the sounds its inherent in their genes. It's how they live. You still have to know location and how to place your sets.

If you have more questions you can ask, I'm quite busy working right now but will get back as soon as I can to the thread.
Tom

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

www.wasatchwild.com

#2653385 - 07/21/11 06:58 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"

Loc: Lower Alabama (Daleville)
I am not a fur trapper but do mainly urban ADC work with a little rural work. Most times that I am trying to catch a bobcat, coyote, or fox a TEASER is used to help attract the critter near the trap. I have modified the TEASER to use a larger 6 volt rechargeable battery. I havenít tried the newer "FurFindR" yet. http://www.wasatchwild.com/teaser.html

This setup caught three 'cats in a two week period.

TEASER in bait cage

Ron Fry

#2653409 - 07/21/11 07:27 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: GritGuy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Tom, Thanks for the reply! You say the battery life is 8 to 10 days, and you use double AA's. How many double AA's do you use? If I had a way to add more double AA's, would the squeaker last longer? I would like a squeaker to last two weeks, then I move anyway, is that possible? Solar power? I hide my cages in bushes and trees, is there a way the sun can get to the squeaker? Can the speaker be in one place, and the unit in another? I clicked on your link and went to your Website. I would strongly suggest others do the same. The "Fur Find R" with the four separate sounds to choose from, and price sounds OK to me. Tom your my kind of guy, Thanks Again!! Bob

#2653418 - 07/21/11 07:36 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: LAtrapper]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Ron, your pictures look great, and it sounds like your sold on squeakers. Have you ever tried the solar powered ones, by Tom? I used them back in the day and they were shaped like a Christmas tree bulb, and only had one sound. These squeakers sure have come a long way.

#2653438 - 07/21/11 08:18 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Loc: Arizona
Edger Products decided to stop making their $20 box squeaker as it was not an item that sold enough.

In one of the posts above the squeaker is used to draw the target animal to the cage as opposed to getting it to commit to going inside the cage. I would think this use of the squeaker is better but as I type this I was thinking, if someone buried the squeaker under the back of the cage I could see the bobcat being enticed to enter the cage.

With regards to the squeakers in general and especially the great looking ones above. You'd sure want to insure you were not trapping anywhere near human traffic. I am sure a distressed rabbit sound ever 40 seconds would bring in curious people, then there goes your squeaker and worse your $100 trap.

#2653460 - 07/21/11 08:43 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"

Loc: Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Bob,
Yes, I am sold on the SQUEAKERS. I suspect that the "FurFindR" is even better. If I were fur trapping high dollar bobcats, I would probably have one at every trap location. Never tried the solar powered squeekers. When calling bobcats, my favorite sound is the distressed flicker or "yellowhammer". I'm not sure which bird sound is on the "FurFindR".

As you can see by the cages I use, I am not a professional bobcat trapper.

Ron Fry

#2653471 - 07/21/11 08:51 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Loc: Arizona
Yes Gene but everything else travels too. You take a common traveled path and with blocking, funnel the trail's inhabitants through the double door cage and I bet you will find all kinds of critters in your cage. Now some fellas might get a kick out of this, but a guy specifically wanting bobcats is missing potential high dollar targets when his cage doors are dropped and a cottontail rabbit is sitting in there smiling.

Care to enlighten us on how a trapper is going to keep gray fox, possums, raccoons, packrats, rabbits, road runners, quail, and a mess of other undesirables out of his 2 door cage traps?

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 ... 32 33 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie