Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 ... 32 33 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2653217 - 07/20/11 10:59 PM Bobcats - How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
I have been trapping Bobcats for a while, and had to Adapt to Cages In Arizona. I have little interest, in Cage Trapping other animals. The Bobcat has three main senses, Sound, Sight, and Smell, I call them the three S's. Let's take the first sense Sound: Has anyone used Electronic Squeakers? What were your results? Was there a certain brand that you liked? I can't seem to find them anymore. Thanks! Bob

#2653229 - 07/20/11 11:12 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Loc: CA
Hey! what happened to the other post?

#2653237 - 07/20/11 11:18 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
DSmith Offline
trapper

Loc: Loveland, CO
Yeah, Really? Where'd it go?

That was one of the most constructive and genuinely beneficial threads I've ever seen on the subject.
Now all that info is gone? What happened?

#2653238 - 07/20/11 11:18 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
CAGEYCAT Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Jeff Yancy
Hey! what happened to the other post?

You say somthing wrong Jeff??

#2653240 - 07/20/11 11:20 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Oh be quiet Brett! You trouble maker!

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/20/11 11:21 PM)

#2653242 - 07/20/11 11:23 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Paul Dobbins Online   content
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
It's that old "No Advertising" thing that got the last post in trouble...

#2653243 - 07/20/11 11:23 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Sorry Jeff! It was taken off, I'm not used to the rules, and Paul politely explained them to me, Paul is a great guy, don't blame him.

#2653248 - 07/20/11 11:26 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
CAGEYCAT Offline
trapper

What is your take on the squeakers Jeff?I have not tried them.

#2653253 - 07/20/11 11:27 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: DSmith]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Sorry Dennis! Paul has rules he has to go by, I got started on the wrong foot, Please don't blame Paul!!

#2653257 - 07/20/11 11:30 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: CAGEYCAT]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Come on Otis, I know you use squeakers sometimes, give me a shot, Paul is just doing his job!

#2653260 - 07/20/11 11:32 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
"Trapperman custodian"

I know Grit Guy on here has squeakers he sells, but I don't know much about them since I'm an old beaver trapper....

Grit, tell us about your squeakers...

#2653306 - 07/21/11 12:34 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
trapper867 Offline
trapper

Loc: north central nebraska
I have a few of Grit's squeakers, THEY WORK..When the weather is COLD it takes alot of batteries. But they have there place for sure. I had a cage when I first started using them that was on a ridge point way off the line of travel but got a skift of snow and followed this big cat track for about 200 yrds right to the cage and looking back that would have been the only way that cat would have ever went over there. Learned alot since then but I do know for a fact that squeaker is the only reason for that cat to go over there and get caught. The trap wasn't even close to being on location but the squeaker made him commit. That cat paid for all the squeakers and alot of traps too. Thanks Grit!!

#2653349 - 07/21/11 06:04 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: trapper867]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

867 Thanks! Now were getting somewhere. You say the squeakers you bought from Grit worked. What brand are they? What size batteries, how many, and how long do the batteries last, in cold weather? Did you put the squeaker in the Cage, above the cage, where? Would you use these squeakers at every Cage set if you had them? Has anyone else used SQUEAKERS ??? Bob

#2653366 - 07/21/11 06:35 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

Loc: Magna, Utah
Never seen this post before sorry.

I make a squeaker and have done so for about 13 years now, mine have evolved from a single electronic chirp to now having actual distress animal sounds on them for real life effect.

Squeakers work on a animals curiosity desire and interest to feed it self. They work all the time just like a trap or snare. In cold weather or warm. All that matters is the life of the battery's, which I have no control over.

Mine are small have a battery life of 8 to 11 days with double AA's to 32 degree temps, with a 6 volt battery they can go to about 3 weeks or so when it gets to freezing they slow down as the cold stops the battery action. I can set you up with solar power as well if you desire that cost, you will never by battery again once you pay for the nickel hydrates to charge though.

Squeakers can be placed close to your set or far away depending on the target cats and canines react quite different to sounds and you should know abit about your target before using the units or you can be quite frustrated at how the animals come into the units.

All predators will react to the units given the ability to hear the unit. I've never had one complain that they did not have some interest in the units while using them. However the unit will not put the animal in your set they merely bring the animal to the area to investigate. And while there they move about trying to find the source of the sound which gives you more opportunity to catch them.

Location of seat in correlation to using the unit is important with different species, and you must have animals in the area to hear the unit. Animals have a tremendous hearing ability and the units can actually draw them from quite a distance. It's not unusual to have people tell me of finding tracks from a different ridge line lead right up to their sets on a separate one.

There are many ways to use the units, placing them with cages as needed here would be above the cage and block visual of the unit as well as make the cage to the only access to find the unit. You may funnel the target to the are by moving the target with guides or by placing the unit in areas where the animal can only move a certain way.

The animals will investigate the sounds its inherent in their genes. It's how they live. You still have to know location and how to place your sets.

If you have more questions you can ask, I'm quite busy working right now but will get back as soon as I can to the thread.
Tom

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

www.wasatchwild.com

#2653385 - 07/21/11 06:58 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"

Loc: Lower Alabama (Daleville)
I am not a fur trapper but do mainly urban ADC work with a little rural work. Most times that I am trying to catch a bobcat, coyote, or fox a TEASER is used to help attract the critter near the trap. I have modified the TEASER to use a larger 6 volt rechargeable battery. I haven’t tried the newer "FurFindR" yet. http://www.wasatchwild.com/teaser.html

This setup caught three 'cats in a two week period.

TEASER in bait cage

Ron Fry

#2653409 - 07/21/11 07:27 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: GritGuy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Tom, Thanks for the reply! You say the battery life is 8 to 10 days, and you use double AA's. How many double AA's do you use? If I had a way to add more double AA's, would the squeaker last longer? I would like a squeaker to last two weeks, then I move anyway, is that possible? Solar power? I hide my cages in bushes and trees, is there a way the sun can get to the squeaker? Can the speaker be in one place, and the unit in another? I clicked on your link and went to your Website. I would strongly suggest others do the same. The "Fur Find R" with the four separate sounds to choose from, and price sounds OK to me. Tom your my kind of guy, Thanks Again!! Bob

#2653418 - 07/21/11 07:36 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: LAtrapper]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Ron, your pictures look great, and it sounds like your sold on squeakers. Have you ever tried the solar powered ones, by Tom? I used them back in the day and they were shaped like a Christmas tree bulb, and only had one sound. These squeakers sure have come a long way.

#2653438 - 07/21/11 08:18 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Loc: Arizona
Edger Products decided to stop making their $20 box squeaker as it was not an item that sold enough.

In one of the posts above the squeaker is used to draw the target animal to the cage as opposed to getting it to commit to going inside the cage. I would think this use of the squeaker is better but as I type this I was thinking, if someone buried the squeaker under the back of the cage I could see the bobcat being enticed to enter the cage.

With regards to the squeakers in general and especially the great looking ones above. You'd sure want to insure you were not trapping anywhere near human traffic. I am sure a distressed rabbit sound ever 40 seconds would bring in curious people, then there goes your squeaker and worse your $100 trap.

#2653460 - 07/21/11 08:43 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"

Loc: Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Bob,
Yes, I am sold on the SQUEAKERS. I suspect that the "FurFindR" is even better. If I were fur trapping high dollar bobcats, I would probably have one at every trap location. Never tried the solar powered squeekers. When calling bobcats, my favorite sound is the distressed flicker or "yellowhammer". I'm not sure which bird sound is on the "FurFindR".

As you can see by the cages I use, I am not a professional bobcat trapper.

Ron Fry

#2653471 - 07/21/11 08:51 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Yes Gene but everything else travels too. You take a common traveled path and with blocking, funnel the trail's inhabitants through the double door cage and I bet you will find all kinds of critters in your cage. Now some fellas might get a kick out of this, but a guy specifically wanting bobcats is missing potential high dollar targets when his cage doors are dropped and a cottontail rabbit is sitting in there smiling.

Care to enlighten us on how a trapper is going to keep gray fox, possums, raccoons, packrats, rabbits, road runners, quail, and a mess of other undesirables out of his 2 door cage traps?

#2653476 - 07/21/11 08:54 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Hyperwrx

With regards to the squeakers in general and especially the great looking ones above. You'd sure want to insure you were not trapping anywhere near human traffic. I am sure a distressed rabbit sound ever 40 seconds would bring in curious people, then there goes your squeaker and worse your $100 trap.

Ask and you shall receive. I should read up on this guys stuff before I post. He's already thought of a theft deterring idea. Fantastic. From his website.

Also incorporated into the unit is the proven Photo on/off switch, this lets the unit shut off during the day, then turn back on during the night, if you cover the photo cell you are able to run the unit 24/7 until the battery’s exhaust. This development has helped to prevent theft and keep battery life at its fullest potential.

#2653489 - 07/21/11 09:13 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

In really cold snow country when your lure isn't working at its optimal best, these sqeekers will bring the critters to you set. I have a few of them and the cages I use them on always perform. I really dont know why I dont use one at every set. They pay for themselves in short order.

#2653494 - 07/21/11 09:16 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Jeff- you just hang it over the cage?

#2653509 - 07/21/11 09:32 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Ok Scott, your right about the $20. Edge Squeaker, that squeaker had only one sound but in different segments. I tried your idea or burying the squeaker under the back of the cage , it rained and there went my squeaker. You need to protect it from the elements. There was a squeaker years ago that had a photo cell on it and it only squeaked after dark. I doubt if many people will be looking for the rabbit cries after dark. I wonder if Tom has been working with that feature?

#2653516 - 07/21/11 09:40 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Sounds like Jeff is sold on them also, does anyone have other ways to make sounds at their sets??

#2653522 - 07/21/11 09:45 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
coloradocat Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Colorado
I think, that five pounds of flour would make a awful large biscuit.

#2653530 - 07/21/11 09:51 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper

Loc: Oakland, MS
From reading Tom's wesbite, it seems a 6 volt lantern battery will work them for 2 weeks....

Also, the website does say he uses a photo sensor switch so the squeakers work only at night unless you cover it to make em work 24/7....

#2653541 - 07/21/11 10:06 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: yotetrapper30]
Leftlane Offline
trapper

Loc: Hill Country of Texas
I have only taken 3 bobcats in cages and cannot tell you why they do and sometimes dont commit. If law allows it I catch a heck of a lot more of them in a foot hold.
I would really like to hear all the CA and CO guys who are perfecting this technique chime in.
& More money!

#2653544 - 07/21/11 10:08 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: yotetrapper30]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Sorry Yote, but when I'm typing a reply, 3 more posts come in and answer the question. Thanks for your input!! Bob

#2653546 - 07/21/11 10:09 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Northcountry Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Bob Small
...does anyone have other ways to make sounds at their sets??

I use homemade recordable callers, as well as Grit Guys Fur Find'r and the Edge Products one....they all work good.

-NC

#2653554 - 07/21/11 10:17 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Hey Otie! Ya think!
About 3 years ago Bill Ilchick was working on an electronic devive that had a faint sound like a heart beat. I was hopin' he would start making them so I could put them inside my hanging critters. I think they would eliminate most of the refusals at cages. I havent talked to him in a while so maybe he's still working on them. I think they would be the CATS MEOW!!!
Scott, I hang 'em high just away from the set.

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/21/11 10:23 AM)

#2653555 - 07/21/11 10:18 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Leftlane]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Leftlane, we're not bad at catching Bobcats in Cages here in Arizona either. If you want to learn to get Bobcats to Commit to Cages watch this thread! When you learn to catch bobcats in Cages you won't need those footholds, for Cats! Thanks!! Bob

#2653563 - 07/21/11 10:25 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Northcountry]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Northcountry, Thanks for your input, but I mean something that might make sounds by the wind, or live animals.

#2653566 - 07/21/11 10:26 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Gene, are you being cynical again?

#2653606 - 07/21/11 11:03 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: sixbits
Hyper ,How do you keep a grey fox,or a 20# coon out of a single door cage?
Hummm.

Briarpatch Cages have a pan tensioning feature on the cam. I am able to set it light and catch ants or heavy and miss elephants. Quit cool. Just 2 7/16ths wrenches in my trappers bag keeps my pan tuned to perfection. The nylon washers inside create the tension. Took me a while to figure out, but about 3-4 pounds keeps foxes from dropping my door. Raccoon? Gene, I live in the Arizona Desert. See cam below-

#2653620 - 07/21/11 11:12 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

I see many guys default to the faux fur with eye(s) hanger in the back of the cage. Perfectly square and resembles Sponge Bob Square Pants. Why not make it long like a pack rat with a slender tail that can move in the breeze? More eye appeal and not a lot more effort to make.

#2653626 - 07/21/11 11:15 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Hyper you asked the ????I returned it to you.Laughing
Bob could do the same thing with a two door trap dont you think?

Logic tells us that if 20 animals come down the trail and are FORCED to go into a 2 door walk-through, the chances of a non-target animal dropping the doors is considerably higher than my single door cage sitting off the trail. With the single door the 20 non-target animals walk by, and a small number might come in and investigate.

#2653628 - 07/21/11 11:16 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Sixbits I like you a lot and your have more good ideas about cages than anyone I know. Ever since Phil left you have been cracking jokes, and that's fine. I know you can contribute positive stuff to this thread, come on, give us a hand! Thanks!! Bob

#2653634 - 07/21/11 11:21 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Scott, Give Gene a chance, I think he will come around, we just need to get him on the right track!!

#2653635 - 07/21/11 11:21 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
trapper867 Offline
trapper

I've found that not useing urine cuts down on the rabbit and porky catches considerably. They are attracted to the salt in urine.

#2653646 - 07/21/11 11:25 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Yes! Gene a two door certainly has it's positive places, John and Tod designed a good one. I don't know how their pan tension works but I'm sure they have already figured it out. Thanks!! Bob

#2653665 - 07/21/11 11:32 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Gene! I agree with you 100%, we all need to learn here, I just just don't like to see these p--sing matches get started, let's move on! Thanks for your input! Bob

#2653691 - 07/21/11 11:49 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska
now gene be good

bob don't you have something to do... LOL

#2653708 - 07/21/11 12:02 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: cagemaker]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Trapper876, I wouldn't know what to do without urine misted on my sets. I think it hides whatever scent I might leave behind, and gives the Cat more confidence!

Jeff, Relax, I have your Cage ready for shipment. Have you ever used the wind, or use live animals, to make noise at your sets?

John, I'm on my break, I have plenty to do. Have plenty of cold Bud Light at Fort Morgan!

Thanks for your input, guys!! Bob

#2653717 - 07/21/11 12:09 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Never used live animals or the wind for the devices that make noise. In my neck of the woods, the wind usually dies down at night. I will say though that back in the early eighties, my biggest catch ever was when the wind was howeling all night long at about 60 MPH. ??????

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/21/11 12:15 PM)

#2653721 - 07/21/11 12:13 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Gene- I'm not knocking you and the use of walk through cages just want you to help me understand.

Can you show me a set with a walk through cage that would be better than a single door? I guess I tend to only look for single door locations when placing traps.

#2653730 - 07/21/11 12:22 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

John- Do you have pan tension on your double door cages?

Someone snapped a picture of John in Wyoming.

#2653744 - 07/21/11 12:32 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

scott. thats bad. No the two door does not but you could put a spring under each side of the pan... .LOL

#2653784 - 07/21/11 12:48 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Jeff, I have a little trick I use to catch vermin's alive in the back of my cages. They make a lot of noise and catch a lot of Cats!

Scott, That's the way, don't get Gene pi--ed, he's a good guy, and knows a lot about getting Cats to commit to Cages!

John, your busier than me, what are you doing on here at this hour?

#2653837 - 07/21/11 01:28 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
coloradocat Offline
trapper

My best catch? Well, she is at work right now, and I didnt catch her with the wind blowin thats for darn sure. I cant add much guys, I try and stay away from scuttle butt.

#2653864 - 07/21/11 02:03 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: coloradocat]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Otis, This thread will not be scuttle butt, I know you have been using squeakers, we can all learn together. Have you had good results with Squeakers? See you at the Fort. Thanks!! Bob

#2653910 - 07/21/11 02:51 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
Spotted Fever Offline
trapper

Loc: Loma,CO
Maybe I can answer that question , Here in Colorado where I live we have a lot of rimrocks with narrow fencing points that cats naturally travel through . A double door see through cage is almost custom designed to be placed in these spots with out having to appeal to the animals three senses . The cat is already accustomed to traveling through these naturally fenced in areas and will not hesitate to continue doing so even if the area has a double door trap in its place. Once you get in the mindset of having double doors for these choke points you start to find perfect places for them . Just another thing in our arsenal to catch cats .

#2653945 - 07/21/11 03:12 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Good explanation.

#2653984 - 07/21/11 03:32 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Last Chance, use juniper duff or buckwheat hulls, when the ground freezes a lot of guys make the bottom of their Cages so the water drains away, and stops them from freezing down.

Spotted Fever you mean Bobcats are the only animals that travel these naturally fenced in areas? If so, it sounds like a good idea with no pan tension!

We are drifting away from what "Sounds" to use in Cage Sets, the walk through doesn't need sounds. Thanks! Bob

#2653990 - 07/21/11 03:35 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
last chance Offline
trapper

Loc: kansas
thanks Bob

#2654009 - 07/21/11 03:46 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

No Bob, Otie dont use sqeakers at his sets. I've been on his line with him. He prefers Mister Twister Spinnerbait Bass lures, and big ol' home made biscuits! LOL

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/21/11 04:07 PM)

#2654014 - 07/21/11 03:48 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Spotted Fever Offline
trapper

Bob I was answering the question that Hyperwyx asked about where to set walk through traps ! No where in my response did I talk about pan tension or say that the traps that I was using did not have pan tension . You seem to keep trying to keep people on track but you keep throwing in digs towards others! I do not respond often and do not appreciate your response . I was trying to help enlighten Hyperwyx on the values of walk through traps . Thanks Dan

#2654021 - 07/21/11 03:51 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Hold on boys! Here we go!

#2654057 - 07/21/11 04:17 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Spotted Fever- I appreciate the explanation of an example of where to situate a walk through double door trap. As I said if I had a few I would probably seek out locations where I could use them.

Bob is new to posting on internet forums. Cut him a bit of slack. It's like putting a kid who just learns how to drive in the Indianapolis 500 and wonder why he holds up traffic. He'll figure out how to respond to people and direct his comments accordingly in time. I can promise you, he's not being malicious on purpose.

With regards to the double door, I assume you block alternative pathways through the channel. ever find bobcats that just opt to jump right over the trap rather than walk through a strange corridor?

#2654064 - 07/21/11 04:24 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Monster Toms Offline
trapper

Loc: The great cage state Colorado
When your on the only trail through 6' sage. The DOUBLE DOOR is king!

www.crittercollector.com

#2654069 - 07/21/11 04:27 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
Spotted Fever Offline
trapper

The double doors that I use are pretty long and I brush up the trap to make the trap the EASY route . It is no different than using a snare or conibear . Thanks

#2654083 - 07/21/11 04:34 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Spotted Fever]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Dan! I didn't mean a dig by that, I'm not used to using Cages with no pan tension. I was talking about trail sets, with no pan tension apparently you have pan tension on yours. Your the first so far that have found digs in my responses, if I offended you, I'm Sorry. I also appreciate your posts on the thread. Thanks! Bob

Jeff, Otis called me and asked about squeakers, I didn't have any left. Then assumed he got them someplace else and was using them. That's what I get for assuming things, into trouble that I don't need!

The pictures look great Thanks! Bob

#2654092 - 07/21/11 04:39 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Todd, good looking picture. Angle is ideal to see how the trap worked into the natural travel route. Guess finding these travel routes is the ticket to success.

#2654110 - 07/21/11 04:47 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Spotted Fever]
Monster Toms Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Spotted Fever
The double doors that I use are pretty long and I brush up the trap to make the trap the EASY route . It is no different than using a snare or conibear . Thanks

Dan, that cage is 48" long and 20" tall when set, Just enough brush on top to make the deer jump over.
Your right they set where you would use a snare.

Edited by Monster Toms (07/21/11 04:51 PM)

www.crittercollector.com

#2654119 - 07/21/11 04:58 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Gene- you're right. Get us back on track with some experienced trapper tips you use to get a bobcat to enter your cages.

#2654127 - 07/21/11 05:03 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Your killin' me Gene!!! ROFLMAO

#2654148 - 07/21/11 05:16 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
coloradocat Offline
trapper

OH!!!!! Leave it to mister Yancy. Although in defense of the man who sold the idea of the spinner bait, I would try any other idea he had for the fact he consistently harvests 80 plus cats a year with a cage. So I tend to listen to someone who has 400 plus cats in the last 5 years with cages. That being said, to answer the question about squeakers. I have used them in certain circumstances. Particularly where a cat is walking down a traveled road and I need to get him off the road. Or another place comes to mind where I didnt have permission on other side of fence. Not a tool I use consistently, but a tool that is available when the circumstance warrants. I have found that the Fur-Finders will attract alot of lions.

I might add that a couple of these guys are spot on when discussing walk through type cages, although I wouldnt want a enitre collectioln of them I think they do have there place on cage lines. My personal opinion on pan tension on traps is, your can eliminate small rodents from firing traps.(A.k.a. bunnies, ringtails,packrats) but I dont wanna miss a grey fox, coon, or even the lowly skunk which by the way make me about $42 apiece all said and done. Thats fuel for the day, or money for additional things. Why I dont expect most guys to target anything but cats, I cant see leaving additional money behind. Maybe I was just a scholar in economics, or maybe just ambitious.

I enjoy a good thread on caging, guys tossing ideas around. But most always turn into a waste of time. I think we all at times miss the boat on focusing to much on the particular trap. They all work, most have the photos or the testimonials to prove that. But there is so much more to trapping then just the trap. The traps have proven themselves. Its cool that everyone is trying to refine a idea, make it better, streamline its effeciency whether producing or using. But bashing because of stolen ideas is assanine. A great coyote trapper out of MT once said, "people believe that they came up with a idea, and if they would just take the time to do a little research they would find most ideas have already been found". But beings they just figured it out, they think they came up with the idea. Theres alot of truth in that.

#2654155 - 07/21/11 05:22 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
coloradocat Offline
trapper

BTW!!! There is alot of truth to the biscuit thingy. Its a secret bait that was passed down to me from a trapper in CA. We call them cat biscuits, probably one of the most precious bobcat baits in the world. Not sold within 500 miles of CO or Goober,CA.

That pic of me makes me look like twisted steel and sex appeal!!!!!!

Edited by coloradocat (07/21/11 05:24 PM)

#2654163 - 07/21/11 05:27 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
trapper867 Offline
trapper

I would think a double door would work well in culverts and wouldn't be that hard to block them there. Just a thought because I don't own one YET.

Edited by trapper867 (07/21/11 05:28 PM)

#2654168 - 07/21/11 05:31 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Otis- A gray fox last year at the ATA auction was $15-18 tops. They have a lot of fat on them and take more time to clean them up. I'd prefer to spend my time with bobcats. To each their own though.

Gene- You're a fountain of knowledge. Just not sure it has anything to do with trapping. smile

#2654170 - 07/21/11 05:31 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Otie calls 'em "TATER BISCUITS" but they're just plain ol' biscuits! I Think! laugh
Yeah, ol Gene is full of knowledge and about the only one that's got a chuckle out of me lately. Most are just too serious!!!

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/21/11 05:35 PM)

#2654175 - 07/21/11 05:35 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
coloradocat Offline
trapper

Scott, box them little beautys up, I will put them up for a $14 average.LOL

#2654179 - 07/21/11 05:38 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: coloradocat]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Otis, what your saying makes a lot of sense! If you go back to my first post I said a Bobcat has 3 main senses,I call them the three S's, Sound, Sight and Smell. We are on the first sense Sound. I know just because I started this thread I don't own it, but I'm trying to help myself and others. I want to get through this thing, and it is bringing a lot of interest, especially from Paul. This got deleted once I don't want to see this happen again, and we're all looking at a blank screen. I am trying to keep some kind of an outline going here. This is going somewhere, please help! Thanks!! Bob

#2654184 - 07/21/11 05:41 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Loc: Ca, Az
Pictures are worth a thousand words!!
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2654201 - 07/21/11 05:51 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Thats a nice looking dog! laugh

#2654215 - 07/21/11 05:57 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

You ought to rake that sand some.

#2654231 - 07/21/11 06:06 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
coloradocat Offline
trapper

Oh Bob, your just trying to suck up to me for another rib eye at the rendezvous. Have Weber, will travel. That was for Bob 1, not Bob 2. Two many bobs in this world.

Edited by coloradocat (07/21/11 06:09 PM)

#2654235 - 07/21/11 06:07 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

The dog is definetly a number 1 biscuit eater!!

Edited by cagem (07/21/11 06:20 PM)
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2654267 - 07/21/11 06:27 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Monster Toms Offline
trapper

Hey Odie, I got started on Phase one of keeping the skunks out of the cages today.

PS chances are these were not built with an ORIGINAL design.

www.crittercollector.com

#2654275 - 07/21/11 06:30 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Are you copying Gene again.

#2654300 - 07/21/11 06:47 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: cagem]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Cagem, I have been trapping bobcats for a long time and know how much work and time that you must put in to catch that many Bobcats. I understand you trap California and Arizona, and was wondering how many Cages you use? I put a lot of time out there myself, how many days do you trap? You must have some killer sets and would like you to show us some. Any information you can give us would sure help! Thanks for your pictures and post!! Bob

#2654319 - 07/21/11 07:03 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

I have been trapping for 4 years now. In 2009 I had 25 cages and caught 84 cats. In 2010 I had 42 cages and caught 96 cats. I trap the entire season around 120 days give or take a few for travel back and forth. I have plenty of pictures of cats in cages but not really of my set locations but i will go back and look. I keep it simple and try not to over think everything.
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2654328 - 07/21/11 07:11 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

180 bobcats is 2 seasons is quite an accomplishment. Do you use any type of a visual attractor in or around your cage sets?

#2654338 - 07/21/11 07:23 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: cagem]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Cagem, I know you put a lot of time and effort into Cage Trapping, when your out there dry camping, running your line. Do you skin them as you catch them, while their still warm? I know you have to flesh and stretch, probably before you go to sleep. Then turn the fur the next morning before you go back out. That's how I do it, how do you process your fur? Thanks! Bob

#2654452 - 07/21/11 08:56 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

As far as I'm aware off there are no other units being made with the options of mine. The units take four AA's and will last to 8 to 10 days depending on the cold temps. You can also use large 6 volt square lantern battery's that take the cold temps much better and get to 3 weeks with them.

The solar panels work with nicad metal hydrate battery's and all you need is to place the panel in a sunny spot during the day, very easy with the units.

My unit is the only one made with the option to play night or day or 24 hours as well. quite nice for high people traffic areas.

I mentioned earlier the need to know your target as canines react very differently than cats do to the units. Still there has been no problem attracting either to sets or cages.

One has to block and set according to the target. Burying the unit does a disservice to the sound playing and usually results in a lost unit.

Most units are place high enough for good sound dispersion to call other targets. And if one is smart they should always gang set when using squeakers. Your more apt to catch more than one animal with them.

Canines usually will stop about 30 yds or so away and circle the units, trying to scent the distressed animal. this lets you make sets all around the unit with traps or snares. As a side note when your thru with the unit at a canine set you should leave the set in as canines now will break that distance line and investigate where the sound went. Giving you a second try to connect with them. Always leave a set where you had the unit placed.

Cats will always investigate them, the only thing found that will turn them off is to much volume. I always try to persuade customers to use bird sounds or rodent sounds with cats for lower volume, though you can lower the volume by careful placing of the unit, or covering half of the speaker holes with a piece of plastic or card board.

When using cages most cats will enter trying to find or access the unit, it's a matter of time before their curiosity gets the best of them and they commit to it. I've had people send me pics of where the cats had laid done or sat down right at the door then entered.

Now I'm not saying every cat is going to enter the cage but I'll go as so far to say they will investigate the area where the unit is placed.

How you convince them to enter is the key, some cover the bottom screen for a natural appeal look others will do the feathers at the back of the cage, still others had me wire extra wires in to the units to use LED's with them.

Education about your target is pretty key with using squeakers one must learn how a target reacts to sound and then use this factor against them to capture that target.

Once you do this you will always have squeakers in your arsenal of tools to use.

www.wasatchwild.com

#2654639 - 07/21/11 10:29 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Grit Guy, I need to order 6 of your calls from you(please PM me with quote). I process my fur as i catch them. I usally put up fur in the mornings and turn before I leave for the day. Fur put up is a constant thing if you don't keep up u will fall behind quickly. Where do all of you guys sell your fur? I sell in Fallon, NV and I have never meet any of you except for Jeff and he hasn't sold any there in 3 years. What kind of numbers are you catching. It's kind of hard to tell who knows what there talking about on these forums. I know everyone is trying to sell me something and make like it's the fix all. It's hard to tell who is working for who thou?
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2654650 - 07/21/11 10:36 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: GritGuy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

OK! What's going on? has everyone gone to sleep already? Supper is over, let's get back to work. If there's no more posts on SOUND, then let's go to SIGHT, this is going to be bigger. SIGHT! The Bobcat also hunts with his eyes and can spot movement from a long distance. Some guys use flags strips of white tape, some use spinner and buzz baits linked together, I like feathers! I go to Wal Mart and buy a down pillow for about $20. This is not game animal parts, that are illegal in Arizona. Then when setting my Cage, I start scratching up the ground in front of the Cage and start throwing feathers around, trailing into and even in the back of the cage. Are there any other ideas out there for SIGHT!! Thanks!! Bob

#2654657 - 07/21/11 10:46 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: cagem]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Cagem! Relax I'm not trying to sell you anything, I don't know what you mean by 6 of our calls, but hope I will find out. Look at the post I just made Sight we just finished Sound. We're trading Ideas to help each a other catch more Bobcats and would like your help! We want you to be with us and have a lot of qualified Cage Trappers in our posts. Join us and have some fun! Thanks!! Bob

#2654664 - 07/21/11 10:50 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

Cagem, you can order off the website, though be prepared for a wait ! I'm already behind with the summer orders now. I build off of waiting lists any more as I cannot keep up with orders any more, just me making them and it's time consuming with multiple orders. So any one ordering should plan on some patience.
-------------------------

I used to think sight was a very good way to trap for cats until I started using squeakers in the mid 70's. I used the regular things feathers, foil and assorted reflector gizzies.

What I found was that you needed to be on location more for viewing, which was quite time consuming to me.

I also was into trying the LED's as well and found them to be problematic for viewing as well. So I stopped using them and was quite happy to find my first squeaker unit and use them until my last one got stolen and I developed my own.

I believe that one still can use sight as an attractor but do not feel it as efficient as sound is for cats.

www.wasatchwild.com

#2654694 - 07/21/11 11:22 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

I take my fur up to last week in January to the Arizona Trappers Association sale in Globe. It's early in the selling circuit and I feel we get hit price-wise since we are one of the first sales. Around 5 buyers show face and last year it was a live auction, which proved beneficial to sellers. I have went up to the ATA sale 4 years in a row now and will continue as I support my local trappers association as we give a small percentage of our take to them. Fur for the remainder of the season gets sold to Dennis Kerbish (sp?) of Globe Fur Sales. He is fair and gives me the prices that I received at the auction or better (he often buys much of the fur at the ATA convention). Fallon is always a lure as prices are always higher but none of us wants to make the trek up there with only 75-100 pelts, even though the money is there. NAFA is also a thought but if your fur doesn't get the estimated beginning bid, its held, and I want my money as soon as I can, even if I take a small hit money-wise.

GritGuy- I think adding sound would be beneficial. I enjoy using an electronic caller when predator calling and have hundreds of sound files from various companies. What bird noises and rabbit distress and fox distress sounds do you program into your units? Something you've come up with on your own? What size speaker is in the unit? Paper or Mylar cone?

#2654832 - 07/22/11 06:28 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

Hyper, I use the same calls on the units that I call when using my rifle.

Red Fox, Cotton Tail, and Yellow hammer wood pecker are the ones on the unit. Though
I have several different ones when customers want a custom unit. If they
give me permission to keep the sound. I keep them in separate files for repeat customers and others who need special sounds. I also have many other of my own to mix things up for different areas when needed when I hunt as well.

Animals hunt by sound more than sight I believe with the eyes and nose being secondary assurance of what they have heard. It's no coincidence why they have such superb hearing.

Trappers not utilizing such a great tool against their targets are missing out on a easy way to a larger harvest.

www.wasatchwild.com

#2654883 - 07/22/11 07:32 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Hey grit I just ordered 6 caller from you hopefully i can get them by the end of September. I am looking forward to seeing if i can pull some cats off of private property.
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2655545 - 07/22/11 03:55 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Hey Gene, Seriously. Have you tried any of them "Tater Biscuits" Otie(Coloradocat)is making? They have a great long distance call lure added to them and work great for eye appeal too. If he could just incorporate a sound to them, I think they would be the CATS MEOW. Got any ideas?

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/22/11 03:56 PM)

#2655682 - 07/22/11 05:49 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Jeff! Your stuff went out today, what are you using for SIGHT attractors, in front of your Cage?

Sixbits, Do you ever use a single door, with any SIGHT attractor, in front? I hope your not going to tell me biscuits and gravy.

Thanks! Bob

#2655840 - 07/22/11 07:19 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Hey sixbits!! Who do you sell your fur too?
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2655845 - 07/22/11 07:20 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Gene- I use John Grahams lure and find it works well. I am looking into using Montana Magic from Halseth this upcoming season. I use a gland lure exclusively throughout the trapping season but this stuff from Halseth seems to get the job done for many trappers here in the Southwest so I will try it.

It's tough to know if new lures, visual attractants, sound attractors, are making a difference when there are so many variables involved in trapping.

Interesting looking cage above. Great looking red. I wish we had more of them in Arizona. We have such small pockets of them up North, few ever even see one.

GritGuy- I disagree with your opinion that predators primarily use their sense of hearing over sight and smell. I think specific species tends to favor one sense over another but all K9s (coyote, fox, and wolves) are going to rely on their olfactory system first and foremost. Studies show that coyotes, when in their familiar environment, respond stronger to olfactory stimuli than anything else. That's science, not an opinion. I do agree the sense of hearing plays a major roll in all predators and possibly more of a roll in bobcats when investigating. I know of no studies confirming this but my calling experience points me in this direction.

#2655907 - 07/22/11 07:51 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagem Offline
trapper

Oh ya!! I've seen them in fallon they never win the bid on any of my fur.

2011 96 cats Petska bought None
2010 84 cats Petska bought None
2009 95 cats Paper work is missing
2008 99 cats Petska bought (6) 612 avg

I guess they get all their fur in the country and they are out of money in fallon? Or my fur is not what there looking for?

What do you think?
3 skunks
4 badger
3 coyote
5 Kit fox
"Put'em up or shut up"

#2655921 - 07/22/11 07:59 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

Gene, thats my truck in the back... .whats going on.

#2655998 - 07/22/11 08:45 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

Every own entitled to their own opinion, no worries. My experience tells me that I've had a lot more success working with the ears than the nose of predators.

I'm not saying one should just use sound, the units are designed to bring animals to the area for investigation. The longer one can keep a target in the area the chances go up your going to catch them, regardless of what type of tool your using.

Sound brings animals in for me much easier all thru the season than waiting on a lure scent to disperse or trying to find the best location or hoping a target is in the area.

Sound solves these problems without me having to worry about them.

www.wasatchwild.com

#2656072 - 07/22/11 09:48 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

With cages I defiantly think they'd be beneficial.

#2656086 - 07/22/11 09:57 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
george Offline
trapper

Loc: utah
Bob you said you had a little trick to catch vermine alive in the back of a cage then they make lots of noise and catch lots of cats. So what's the trick.

#2656265 - 07/23/11 03:16 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: george]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

George! I just got back from a night out in Redneck Bars. You have been listening , and I appreciate that! I can't advertise here, Paul will turn this thread off in a heartbeat. You send me a PM and I will tell you! Then I want you to come back and tell everyone I wasn't kidding. fair enough?

Sixbits, I appreciate you getting serious, I know you are one of the better Cage Trappers In Colorado. There are a lot of good experienced Cage Trappers up there and they could teach us a lot! Come on guys PLEASE help on the SIGHT portion of this thread.

Jeff, You are one of the best Cage Trappers In California, and everybody knows it. I don't know you , but I could sure use your help, this will be in the trapperman archives, lets make this the best ever!!

There are a lot of good Cage Trappers out there that don't post, I am asking for your help, lets learn together! Bob

#2656267 - 07/23/11 03:38 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: GritGuy]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Grit Guy, We are talking about SIGHT not SMELL that comes later. You have to agree if the Cat can't see the Cage he's not going in. I agree with you 100% that SOUND plays one of the most important rolls, and it will bring in a Cat from great distances. I'm sure, because if this thread you will sell many squeakers, I'm going to buy some myself, from you. We are working on SIGHT, we went through SOUND!! Thanks for your post, we are with you!!

#2656319 - 07/23/11 07:10 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

I'll chime in later, but right now I'm gonna go see if I can kill a Salmon. (after I eat my biscuits and gravy!) laugh

#2656415 - 07/23/11 09:02 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
"Trapperman custodian"

[quote=I appreciate that! I can't advertise here, Paul will turn this thread off in a heartbeat. [/quote]

You can answer questions about your products, just as Grit did. You just can't do an unsolicited infomercial.

#2656437 - 07/23/11 09:22 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Jeff,Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing from you, and wait until you see, what I sent. I would like to see what SIGHT attractors you use outside, and inside your Cage.

Sixbits,Your avoiding the question on SIGHT attractors, and I think everyone, including myself, enjoys your pictures. That to me looks like a well used Bobcat toilet and its out of the elements. You might need a SIGHT attractor inside the cage, but I doubt it, there. Do you use anything outside your Cage, when your not setting right on toilets? I don't like biscuits and white gravy, it's too fattening and I'm trying to loose weight.

George! I'm waiting for your PM. Around here, I need to put up or shut up.(Hi! Cageem)

Thanks! for the posts!! Bob

#2656469 - 07/23/11 09:41 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
george Offline
trapper

Pm sent sir.

#2656529 - 07/23/11 10:17 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Livetrap Offline
trapper

Loc: California for now but soon, N...

For us rookies, where does the trap go?

Edited by tmrschessie (10/30/12 12:29 PM)

#2656560 - 07/23/11 10:55 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Livetrap Offline
trapper

That narrow opening on the left between the rock and the wood. I've found spots like this but couldn't fit a cage because of rocky, uneven ground right where I needed to set a cage. What do you do in that case?

#2656572 - 07/23/11 11:14 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Dan Carey Offline
trapper

Loc: AZ/NM
Bring a bucket of dirt.

#2656589 - 07/23/11 11:33 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Livetrap Offline
trapper

So basically I'll have to build up the ground so it's level.

Have any of you experienced guys ever set a cage so it's on a hill or slope with the door facing downhill? Will cats walk up hill into a cage that's set at a pitch? All the sets I've seen have been on level ground.

#2656607 - 07/23/11 11:48 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

If its not flat, I grab my digger and rough up the dirt enough to bad my trap flat.

Visual Attractors- I have heard of people using DVDs, tinsel, fishing spinning lures, batting from pillows, all kinds of stuff. I see Cagem uses feathers.

I am also a feather user inside and outside the cage. I believe they get the bobcat associating the set with a kill area he's seen in the past, things he's familiar with.

I also used a fur dangler with a big eye in the back of the cage.

#2656928 - 07/23/11 05:11 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Bob,I never avoided your question.I do (NOT) use flags out side of the cage.I know I dont make big numbers of catches like most guys but then again I dont think I have the population either.I trap some places that you cant make big lines because the access is limited one way in and one way out.
Now Bob you have asked every one for information.How about you giving out some?I need all the help I can get.

Sixbits, If you look at the first post I made about SIGHT you will see I already told you I use feathers around the outside, and trailing in my Cage. I pick up Cat droppings along the road and out of fresh caught Bobcats, and put the droppings just inside and sometimes outside the Cage. I also scratch up the ground in front of the Cage, dig some holes for dirt to cover my wire, and leave the ground tore up in front of the Cage. I also have a Bobcat track maker and put bobcat tracks around the front and leading into the cage. Forget the snares this is on Bobcats to commit to Cages.

George, I answered your PM! Now I did my part and answered the question of getting animal sounds coming out of the Cages without electronic squeakers, no batteries. Now it's your turn, like Cageem says "Put up or Shut Up"

Paul, I'm not good at this and don't know how far I can go, so I'm trying to behave.

We are now on SIGHT, the SOUND is over with, I got a call from a good Cage Trapper in Colorado, he's not posting because he wants to hear facts not Jokes. A good joke is fine and is fun, but lets not over do it.

Thanks for your posts! I need all the help I can get!! Bob

Edited by Bob Small (07/23/11 05:14 PM)

#2656946 - 07/23/11 05:23 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
eyedoc Offline
trapper

Loc: west texas
what do you guys make the little furry critter with the big eyes out of? where do you get the faux fur from - tearing up your kids stuffed toys,walmart???? what do you use for the eyes????

#2656973 - 07/23/11 05:44 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: eyedoc]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

eyedoc! We have a craft store here in Phoenix called JoAnn's, the fake fur and large Cat's eyes you can pick up there. You might not have a JoAnn's but check your local craft stores, the eyes are life like not cartoon eyes, some guys use them. I like the fake fur better than the real fur, it looks more life like, and then you don't have to argue with Game Officers, about what animal the fur came from?

#2657011 - 07/23/11 06:29 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Loc: Colorado
All is well Bob.I have cleaned it up for you.enjoy.

#2657030 - 07/23/11 06:49 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

Gene. you comeing to Fort Morgan

#2657046 - 07/23/11 07:00 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

I dont know John ,our lives are kinda on hold as of now so we will see how things go.

#2657058 - 07/23/11 07:16 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

This is how us Nebraskans do it. Bob you said you wanted sound, sight, and smell. Must be bud light(tall boys) for more sound, must have bud light showing in front for sight, leave a little in the can for smell.

#2657092 - 07/23/11 07:40 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

eyedoc- Fake fur can be bought most any place. I don't know it that is the silver bullet but there sure are a lot of guys who use a furry hanging creature with a visible eye. Must be something to it. One thing Bob showed me that I think is important is making sure the furry hanger falls off the top of the cage easily. Once that bobcat gets in the cage and the door shuts, he will get at that hanger and mess with it. I'd rather it fall down into the dirt on the bottom of the cage easily where he can forget about it. The less he chews on it the better shape it is and I wont have to replace it. I will post a picture of one of the danglers I use tonight.

#2657202 - 07/23/11 09:05 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
wow

#2657315 - 07/23/11 11:04 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: cagemaker]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Cagemaker! Nice Cage John, that looks like your double door with a single door. I see there is a pan tension adjustment, no doubt you make a nice Cage. Your SIGHT attractor would attract me, that's for sure. See you at the Fort! Thanks for your post!! Bob

#2657468 - 07/24/11 06:21 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

single... been makeing that pan tension for 17 years

#2657477 - 07/24/11 06:57 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
barewire Offline
trapper

Loc: NM
For the last 5 years or so I've been able to get the fake eyes at Hobby Lobby. I don't know how large a chain store they are but they are all over NM.

#2657529 - 07/24/11 08:26 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: cagemaker]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Sorry John, I thought your double door, and your swing door Bobcat Combo, didn't have pan tension adjustment, I apologize.

#2657584 - 07/24/11 09:29 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

They don,t

#2657618 - 07/24/11 10:21 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Bob,I went back and read all the posts and I see that your only thought is on a single door trap.You only want to talk about sight, sound and smell.That is fine with me but when you tell me to forget about the methods that work for me to get a cat in a cage .Well if I agreed with you we would both be wrong.I wont post again to mess with your thread .I wanted to say that there is more than one trappers way to catch cats.Nothing wrong with your way but it sure is NOT the only way.
No hard feeling on my part when we meet again I want to be friends.
Thanks Gene

#2657667 - 07/24/11 11:00 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Monster Toms Offline
trapper

Hopefully those of you that can will come contibute to a new thread over in Strictly Trapping. THANKS

www.crittercollector.com

#2657680 - 07/24/11 11:17 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

I understand Gene, We can't use snares in Arizona, and I'm not sure you can use them in Colorado either. There a lot of ways to harvest Bobcats, Hounds, Calling, Footholds, Snares, Cages, and probably a lot more than I don't know about. I enjoy your pictures and posts, but need to keep on the thread topic of Cages, and Bobcats. I am not familiar with walk through Cages, but have used trail sets with footholds. When I used trail sets with footholds I never used Sound, Sight or Smell. I don't have any experience with double door Cages, but would like to learn. I do tend to make make people angry at me, but don't mean anything by it. I am opinionated and need a kick in the pants once in a while. So far in the last couple of days I managed to get Paul, Dan, and you, unhappy with me and they let me know it. I apologized if I offend people, but I'm trying to have an educational thread on Getting Bobcats to Commit to Cages. I am still on Sight and it's not easy to keep this thread going, so I do need help! Thanks!! Bob

#2657729 - 07/24/11 11:56 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
VikesBull Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Iowa
I use a few of grits squeakers. They work. I use them when I feel I am not on travel cooridoor but know there are cats there like on edge of a timber. The battery life grit explained is about right, but once the temps drop down to around zero you may as well put them away as batteries will last 1-2 nights if that. I would think in Arizona you would be good to go.

#2657798 - 07/24/11 12:50 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: VikesBull]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Vikesbull, I agree squeakers work well drawing Cats in from long distances. Grit's sound a lot better than the ones I have been using. His has different sounds and turn off in the daytime. The price sounds reasonable, considering all the features you get. I wonder how long it would take to get a few? Thanks! Bob

#2658019 - 07/24/11 03:18 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

I agree. If I could get them before the season begins I'd buy half a dozen. I want to hear the rabbit distress sound is he using.

#2658033 - 07/24/11 03:29 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

I'm backed up pretty good since last March LOL, only me making the units and I can only build 20 at a time.

So with large orders and threads like these, which I certainly like, but am not advertising for them, I have at least a two week waiting time.

Sorry, but if you want them before the season you gotta get on the list now. It's been this way for about 3 seasons now, and I don't see things changing for the coming season either.

www.wasatchwild.com

#2658038 - 07/24/11 03:36 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Ya can't complain about having a lot of business I guess, huh?

#2658061 - 07/24/11 04:06 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Scott! Maybe we could get together at the 20 price and sell a few at the Conventions.

Grit! If we order 20 could we have them in a few weeks?

Sorry! Guys with nobody posting, this thread is going to die, and I haven't got to SMELLS yet. It's up to you!!

Thanks for the interest!! Bob

#2658128 - 07/24/11 04:57 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: GritGuy]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: N. Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: GritGuy
I'm backed up pretty good since last March LOL, only me making the units and I can only build 20 at a time.

So with large orders and threads like these, which I certainly like, but am not advertising for them, I have at least a two week waiting time.

Sorry, but if you want them before the season you gotta get on the list now. It's been this way for about 3 seasons now, and I don't see things changing for the coming season either.

The link for your website does not work-do you have a different url?

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

#2658137 - 07/24/11 05:08 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

Just tried the link from here and it works fine. Might be on your side.

I can't promise a two week turn over for any large orders I'm almost 200 hundred units behind due to several large orders now.
Getting on the list allows you to be worked in to a building schedule. As the season gets closer the waiting list gets longer and the shipping time grows as well.

Yes I like being busy but I don't like having people wait for the units either.

www.wasatchwild.com

#2658258 - 07/24/11 06:40 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
VikesBull Offline
trapper

Maybe you should consider hiring somebody.

#2658266 - 07/24/11 06:48 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: GritGuy]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: GritGuy
Just tried the link from here and it works fine. Might be on your side.

I can't promise a two week turn over for any large orders I'm almost 200 hundred units behind due to several large orders now.
Getting on the list allows you to be worked in to a building schedule. As the season gets closer the waiting list gets longer and the shipping time grows as well.

Yes I like being busy but I don't like having people wait for the units either.

Well, I've tried it now from two differetn computers with different Internet Connections and still no go. Am sure it works from your computer as the pages are stored on it-saved on the hard drive-making it easier and faster for you to get in there. But the link in your signature does not work-also used one from another site and it didn't work, either.

#2658270 - 07/24/11 06:50 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
chas3457 Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska, Dawson County
I just clicked on it,and it opened right up.

www.wasatchwild.com

Charlie

NRA Life Member ~ UNMLA Annual Member

#2658306 - 07/24/11 07:13 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Don't know what is going on then on my end as I can go to any other site with no problems. Even did a Google serch for his website and tried the links from there and everyone says, Internet Explorer can not display that page.

#2658314 - 07/24/11 07:19 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

It's working can't tell you why it's not from your side though. I've been getting orders for over two weeks now from various places and all of them are off the net.
------------------
vikesbull. if I hire some one then the price moves up, which then makes them almost impossible to sell. Trappers are notoriously tight with their dollars and with the economy how it is today it's even tighter, so patience is the key to still getting the product at a cost most can afford.

www.wasatchwild.com

#2658372 - 07/24/11 07:58 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
VikesBull Offline
trapper

Kelly what browser are you using. IE 8 works for me to get to grits site.

Grit tell me a bit more on solar option/cost. Are you saying I can leave up in a tree and as long as sun hits it then it will recharge? I would buy if it can work in cold weather ( -20 - +10) and wind.

Edited by vikesbull (07/24/11 08:00 PM)

#2658419 - 07/24/11 08:27 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

At the risk of getting my rear chapped for digressing this thread I'll fill you in Vikes !!

If you go to Gander Mt. or Cabelas they sell solar panels for feeders. Now these coupled with four Nickel Metal Hydrate battery's will run your unit indefinitely out in the field as long as the sun has 6 hours on the panel. You won't need to buy battery's agian.

All you need is extra long wires to hook up the panel, it's a very simple deal to do. The only bad thing is that if a thief comes along they take the whole deal with them and your out some cash for the whole set up.

This is why I don't recommend the solar set up unless you either have a very large area and rough to get to or are on very secure private ground.

When I tested this idea out here in my area to get another cold weather power source going as I knew the battery's would fail sooner or later, you can only insulate them so much.
I set one of my units up in a secluded place in November and came back every month until April to check for sign, no sets here was just checking travel to the unit. I had literally trails wore into the area from different directions and the unit was still working fine.
All kinds of animals were moving thur the area where none were when I set the unit up.

Now I know all of this sounds like sells pitches but honestly I respect Paul's advertising rules and try to go out my way to only answer questions that people bring here about them. And in doing so yea I get some sells, but I'm only trying to answer yours and others questions about the units. I'm not trying to advertise for sells here on this thread !

Tom

www.wasatchwild.com

#2658556 - 07/24/11 09:40 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Chris Miller Offline
trapper

I don't feel at all qualified to reply to this thread, but give this one a shot... and tell me what you think.

[Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] at the door to your cage. That's right...human urine right there at the entrance. I did a little testing and when I [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] at the door of the cage, I caught animals. Sounds crazy I know, but I try off the wall stuff in calling and now in trapping. When a guy tells me human scent is bad, I immediately call BS and try it out.

It's worked for me...... try it and tell me what you find.

#2658593 - 07/24/11 09:59 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: VikesBull]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Vikesbull, I have tried hiring someone, and it's hardly worth it. There's not a lot of money in producing Cages, you figure your time, materials, and overhead, it's hard. I got a new wire bender and some pneumatic tools for the clips and that helps. Bending the wire used to take a couple of minutes, now I can bend a cage in less than a minute. The clips used to take over 15 minutes, now I can put them on in less than 10 minutes. Where I build my cages don't have any cooling or A/C, it was 105 today, helpers don't want to work in that heat. I'm working on getting a cooler place to build the Cages but that takes money too. Thanks for your post!! Bob

#2658597 - 07/24/11 10:03 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Chris Miller]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Criss, It's hard to understand what your saying, could you edit your post? Thanks!! Bob

#2658633 - 07/24/11 10:28 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
VikesBull Offline
trapper

Are you cage guys using visual attractor to get to the cage area, and then inside the cage as well? I don't see alot of difference between normal traps and cages with cats except the final commitment. If I feel I am on target I only use a small flag at the set, probably similar to what you would do inside a cage. If I feel I may be off I will use another near the set that can be seen form 2-3 possible directions the cat may come from to bring them in closer for the lure/bait/attractor to take over.

#2658664 - 07/24/11 11:09 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: VikesBull]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Vicksbull, I have better success, if I try to get the Cat excited, like scratching under a table when a domestic cat appears. (sound) I think the more things you have to excite the Cat the less refusals you will have. The feathers outside the cage, going in the entrance and a small pile in the back, does wonders. The feathers can be seen from a distance especially for a 20' radius in front of the Cage. When you get a bobcat standing in front of the Cage, I think that's the most critical time. A vermin jumping up and down would be great, a good dangler moving in a slight wind good, live eyes help, that shows life. I used to use live plastic eyes 30 years ago in the back of Cubbies with a foothold in front. One eye on a piece of fake fur covered with leaves or grass. The Bobcat sees that, and it looks like something alive hiding or at least fresh. Bobcats are very curious and they get closer to investigate. If they loose interest, your in trouble, you need to keep them going into the Cage. A smell like beaver castor you don't forget, neither does a Cat, and there doesn't have to be beavers around. Sorry I'm going on Smells and I'm still on Sight. When a Bobcat is standing right in front of your Cage then the Smells take over. A Bobcat's nose is better than most people think? I hope this is helping, this is my experience, Thanks!! Bob

#2658669 - 07/24/11 11:20 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Chris- While I would not make a habit of pissing by my set I was scouting new area and was walking down a wash. I stopped and peed on a bush and then decided the area funneled down nicely and a trail cam would do well there. 1 week later I had a pictures of a bobcat and 2 different foxes sniffing the bush I peed on.

I still would not pee on my own sets on purpose.

#2658699 - 07/25/11 12:44 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
DSmith Offline
trapper

Hyperwrx,

I've heard similar stories from my bowhunting buddies who whizzed off their tree stands because they were too lazy to climb down to take a leak, or they knocked their urine bottle over by mistake, or some such. In any case, they deposited human urine at the base of their tree stands only to find it attracted deer rather than frightened them.

At first this seems contrary to everything we've been taught about peeing in the woods, but if you consider that almost all animals investigate the scent posts of all other animals, then it makes perfect sense. Humans are animals, after all, so why wouldn't a deer, cat or coyote investigate their urine smell? And how could they know it was human if they didn't smell it in the first place?? I suspect that most animals are genetically driven to pee where another animal has peed, regardless of species. They can't help themselves; it's in their DNA.

I knew a guy who said he took his dog with him whenever he was scouting new coyote trapping territory because the dog would invariably lift his leg on every bush, twig or rock where another animal had marked it's territory. The guy figured it was probably a pretty good place to make a scent-post set or a flat set, and he was usually right.

Wasn't there was a video on the Briarpatch website a while back that showed a cougar rolling and rubbing itself all over some kind of community scent post that had been used by every fox, cat and coyote in the county? It was a large flat rock discovered by a wildlife biologist who set a trail cam there and supposedly recorded a number of different animals using the post over a long period time. The point being - urine, regardless of origin - is a powerful animal attractant. So maybe taking a whiz at your trap site isn't as harmful as we've been led to believe; it might even help you catch a critter. Who knows?

#2658711 - 07/25/11 01:32 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
george Offline
trapper

Here's my question about smells I can't count the number of times I have heard make sure you don't over scent the cats. They will come to the set and get enough smell and leave before they actually work the set.but like many other trappers that were introduced into trapping by there family, we have a family "secret scent". Are stuff is powerful. But it works. What is your guys thoughts on strong _lures compared to a more mild lure or baits for cage use. Also I agree being on location is king, but when the cats in front of the cage what do you guys think.

#2658819 - 07/25/11 08:25 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: george]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

George! OK we will start on SMELLS!! I started making lure back in the eighty's, the more powerful lures, I called Call Lures, I have two. When I used these lures at foothold sets, past the trap, the Bobcats would roll. This often would spring the traps, and sometimes you would find fur in the jaws. I found by putting the lure 6' up in a bush or tree, the wind currents would carry the SMELL out further and bring Cats in from longer distances. The call lure couldn't be used close to the set. That's one of the advantages with Cages, you don't care if the Cat rolls or not, he's in the Cage, so stronger lures can be used. If a lure is too strong and a Bobcat can smell it as strong as he wants, he has no reason to go fully into the Cage. You want a lure a Bobcat will put his nose up against, strong but not too strong. Mel Hershberger used to say "You can't put too much Beaver Castor in a lure for Bobcats", some guys use just that. Thanks!! Bob

#2658844 - 07/25/11 09:00 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
george Offline
trapper

Hey Bob thanks for the pm about getting sounds from the back of the cage without the use of audio equipment, great idea man. Can't wait to try it.

#2658869 - 07/25/11 09:29 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: george]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

George, Thanks for posting about the sounds from the back of Cages! I was told to Put Up or Shut Up and I Put UP. There are many ways to Get Bobcats to Commit to Cages. I would hope more would post, I have been getting a lot of PM's from people telling me they don't know enough about Cages to post. Ask questions that's how we all learn, if I don't know the answer, I'm sure someone out there does! Thanks!! Bob

#2658954 - 07/25/11 11:13 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Wildkaat Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho
If I am using a squeaker and set my cages on the travel routes I think the cats will use to approach the area are the cats going to be so interested in the sound that they ignore the smells used in the cages?

#2658978 - 07/25/11 11:36 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

Say Bob don't tell these two that there's no pan tension adjustment. LOL

#2658983 - 07/25/11 11:42 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Wildkaat, I rely exclusively on smell at my sets and have the same thought as you with the sound. I dont feel totally comfortable using a loud sound at my sets even though it may not hinder the cat. I guess Grit Guy would be the person to ask since he has the most experience with the sqeakers.
My thoughts are that a cat normally uses his sense of smell first and foremost then sight and then sound.
I do use faux fur critters in my cages, but with the use of trail cams at several cat catch locations, I was shocked at how little interest the cat was in the site attractant. I have also used multi colored reflective tape in the past and did notice an increase in catches but also noticed an increase in human visits at my sets and an increase in theft.
So I guess we go on to smell. Lets hear all your thoughts on smells at Bobcat sets. I really think we can expand this topic from cages exclusively to include legholds also. One would be surprised how many cats will also not commit using legholds until you set up a few trailcams and see for yourself.
Come on Gene, Otie, Todd, forget the Biscuits and lets hear your thoughts. I know you guys have a few tricks and thoughts on smells.

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/25/11 11:47 AM)

#2659055 - 07/25/11 12:56 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

I agree with all of you on every thing.All of this stuff must work.
I saw a man that all of us know throw a shingle that was 2" around on the ground.
He asked how many of those did we think would fit in a square mile? I dont know but the number would be very large.
He said he would see that the cat would step on the one he put down!
I want to say thanks to three guys from NV.for going out of their way and giving me that thought.
Do I use lure? yes,does it bring cats in ???
I am of the opinion that you would be better off thinking about where the cat is going to walk.I dont care what kind of trap you use ,what kind of snare,or any other means of capture ,even the camera.Would it not be easier to set up where your prey is going to walk?
Sorry Bob,I said I wouldnt post on this, but Jeff asked me and that is the best I can offer.
Thanks Gene

Edited by sixbits (07/25/11 01:12 PM)

#2659095 - 07/25/11 01:54 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
GritGuy Offline

The one thing about cats that's inherent in all of them is their desire to satisfy their curiosity. It's the only thing one can be consistent with while going after them.

Yes they smell, yes they hear, yes they see, but they will walk on all of them if they cannot satisfy what they find. If they become frustrated they will not commit to a cage, they need to be rewarded so to speak, sight, smell or find the sound.

One must be able to use these to that advantage to harvest them. You bring them to your set you have to convince them to investigate it.

Having a sight attractant or a smell at your set while using a sound attractant provides this reward, it drops the caution flag so to speak, eases the frustration level in other words.

So the bottom line is using all does not mean your going to chase them away. However sound has been known to be sometimes over powering when used with cages in close proximity,i.e., inside or right on top.

If one has no where else to place the sound they should try to subdue it to not shy the cat away from the set. Not all cats will be bothered, however my testimonials from others force me to believe that enough are that one should use a lower volume when enticing cats to your sets.

Once there they can then take advantage of your regular lures, scents or sight attractants to keep the occupied on your set.

www.wasatchwild.com

#2659129 - 07/25/11 02:44 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: cagemaker]
DSmith Offline
trapper

Cagemaker - that double is impressive. Is that for real???
What are the odds 2 of 'em would do that? Simultaneously?

Incredible. And way cool.

What do you think happened at that set?

#2659207 - 07/25/11 03:47 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

D Smith. That double was taken by Monster Tom on there. I know of 7 other doubles with my cages.

Those are CO cats even.

#2659253 - 07/25/11 04:23 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
last chance Offline
trapper

Loc: kansas
hey cagers do you gang set?how many cages on location? different smell at each cage?

#2659285 - 07/25/11 04:56 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Great picture John. I'd love to see how the cats were situated in the cage when the door fell. John do you do any trapping these days?

#2659290 - 07/25/11 05:00 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
coloradocat Offline
trapper

This thread is so scattered, but I will add a couple of thoughts. Several years ago, Tracy Truman started expiermenting with trail cameras on his traplines and lure research. Being the kind fella he is, he passed on information about trail cameras and the benefits of using them. Over the course of time, many guys have started using them for useful information gathering. And maybe somewhat understanding behavior of bobcats. Tracy, Mercer and Jeff probably have a combined trail camera footage that includes days of information. I started using them on my lines and a person begins to come to his own conclusions of what is important at a set. I would buy Mercers new cage trapping video, as the trail camera footage alone is worth the money. For years we all went assuming what the animal was doing to now being able to somewhat understanding what the animal is doing in real time. There is nothing more useful than being able to see exactly what the animal is doing at the set, and being able to adjust to what you see.

I would actually like to take some time this summer and put some cameras out and see what kind of responses happen at Tom's squeakers. It might be beneficial to me on my traplines to understand what the behaviors are when they approach. I think everyone needs a couple of cameras on there traplines just to help them understand whats going on, why they are getting refusals, and what they can do to adjust to the circumstances. I wont take anything away from Mercers video, and speak much of it without you buying a copy of your own, but it sure helps understand exactly what a cat is doing at the set,and then from there you can draw your own conclusions about what is more important out of the 3 S's that Bob mentions in this thread.

I know some of the information I have gathered from my own footage, and of others really changed my ideas on caging. Just another tool that is available.

#2659340 - 07/25/11 05:34 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Now we are getting some real thoughts going from some experts. I especially like Gritguys analogy.

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/25/11 05:35 PM)

#2659353 - 07/25/11 05:42 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Yes I do set some gang sets under certain circumstances, but with a 24 hour check, I feel your cage is better utilized at different locations.

Just a short clip at one of my 2 cage sets.

#2659365 - 07/25/11 05:49 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
CAGEYCAT Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Hyperwrx
Great picture John. I'd love to see how the cats were situated in the cage when the door fell. John do you do any trapping these days?

My guess would be side by side.

#2659378 - 07/25/11 06:01 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
CAGEYCAT Offline
trapper

Don't mean to get off topic but have any of you used Halseth's California cage trap lure?Just got the new F&T catalog today and noticed it in there.

#2659474 - 07/25/11 07:04 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Furvor Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Mercers new cage trapping video

Where can it be ordered?

#2659486 - 07/25/11 07:16 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Otis, I agree with you. Talk is nothing but talk. Trail cam footage is defiantly the silver bullet is cage trapping. I was looking at some cams today at the store and working out prices in my head. I'd like to get a few for myself this season. Mercer's footage is always very insightful to watch and anyone would learn a lot studying it. I am sure his new DVD on cage trapping will be well worth the money.

How many people use some type of a furry dangle creature in the backs of their cages? I just made up a dozen more for this season. I find when a cat gets caged it really tears them up so I have many extras. I use faux fur, a yellow and black eye for contrast, and a long tail that will swing and sway in the wind.

#2659491 - 07/25/11 07:20 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Jeff- Awesome video. Last year I called in 3 lions predator calling here in AZ. Nothing like a lion at 25' to make your heart skip a beat.

#2659538 - 07/25/11 07:53 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
cagemaker Offline
trapper

Schott. not as much as I would like to. maybe close the doors and hit the coon hard. John

#2659715 - 07/25/11 09:53 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Dan Carey Offline
trapper

I like the lion video. What camera are you using?

#2659846 - 07/26/11 12:08 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Dan,
I am using the scoutguard camera. The only other camera I have used is the Cuddeback and the scout guard is more than twice the camera at half the price. T-Man member Tracy Truman sells them for an unbelievable price If your interested. (Hope that's not advertising)
I also think Mercers new video will be a great asset to the caging community. He seems to put a different twist on things that many overlook.

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/26/11 12:17 AM)

#2659859 - 07/26/11 12:23 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Dan Carey Offline
trapper

Thanks and I'm going to get the video when he comes to ATA meeting in a couple of weeks.

#2659861 - 07/26/11 12:24 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

is that a bobcat in the right trap Jeff? Did you have to wash his underparts after that encounter? Good think he was tucked away nicely in a cage, or he might have been someones dinner! Great video.

michael

#2659886 - 07/26/11 02:21 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
livetohunt Offline
trapper

Loc: Chester California
For the guys out there making and using the furry critters for hanging in the back of the cages, do you guys have one color fur that works better then a diffent color?

#2660019 - 07/26/11 08:35 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Dan Carey]
Spotted Fever Offline
trapper

I recently purchased Mercers video and all that I can say is WOW ! The video was VERY informative and high quality . And as Otis has already said the video footage from the trail cams is enlightening to say the least. I encourage everyone to watch this video as I think that it will change the way that you think about caging bobcats.

#2660075 - 07/26/11 09:14 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Yes Michael, there is a cat in the trap. It amazed me that with 3 minutes of Lion video, not one time did he stick his nose in the other trap or become agressive to the bobcat.

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/26/11 09:16 AM)

#2660129 - 07/26/11 10:15 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Jeff Yancy]
DSmith Offline
trapper

Interesting also that the lion gave the camera an "up-close,in-your-face" inspection. Do you suppose he was investigating the sound, or the smell, or ...?

#2661138 - 07/26/11 10:47 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: DSmith]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Dennis, Yes! I suspect all at least sight and smell. Jeff has a lot of trail cam footage. You should see the one where a bobcat gets caught in a cage, and two or three others start gathering around! pretty funny!

#2661149 - 07/26/11 11:01 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
DSmith Offline
trapper

What are the chances he'd post it here - or is it a DVD you have to order?

#2661174 - 07/26/11 11:34 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

livetohunt - I don't think the color really matters. I try to stay a natural dark color. I think using a high contrasting eye is a good idea and a long skinny tail that can move in the breeze. Her is one of mine.

I had my 2 oldest daughters sit at the kitchen table and made 15 of these hangers with fur, wire, eyes, and a hot glue gun. 45 minutes and they were done.

#2661184 - 07/26/11 11:57 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
DSmith Offline
trapper

OK - I s'pose we're picking at nits here, but how big (or small) is that thing? Does it even matter?

I just bought some craft fur today, mottled brown and gray, and a bag of dime-sized google eyes, white with black pupils.
I wanna make some of these cuties and was curious about the size.

#2661413 - 07/27/11 08:42 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

body- 3-4 inches, tail 2-3

#2661429 - 07/27/11 08:54 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Hyperwrx]
DSmith Offline
trapper

Thanks a bunch. Time to make some "Meeces."

#2661523 - 07/27/11 10:14 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Gene- there is some land like that up in Northern Arizona on the Navajo Reservation. Cost you $250 for a permit to hunt it and they only hand out so many each year. That's all fantastic looking habitat and I bet would produce nice cats. I think bobcats are like any other predatory species- they are around their food source and structure attracts mice, rodents and other vermin.

We more often than naught are looking for either a bobcat toilet to put cages around or large washes coming down from hills or small mountains. Those washes make for perfect walking paths for the bobcats traveling from one area to another, or one female to another.

In the winter we have a lot of hikers and people riding ATVs in washes so we don't put the sets right in the wash but slightly off them. Recreational riders drive right on by. A bocat will pick up on the visual attractors or the lure and make a short detour and hopefully will be caught.

#2661533 - 07/27/11 10:18 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Gene, No self respecting cat would hunt around them locations, 'cause they might get snake bit! laugh laugh laugh laugh
I do like the one with the tree in between the rocks though. A perfect place to hang one of Oties Tater Biscuits!! blush blush grin grin

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/27/11 10:22 AM)

#2661547 - 07/27/11 10:27 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

No wonder I cant catch any cats, dang snakes !

You trying to get me in trouble Jeff? Remember Jeff started the buiscut thing not me!!!!!

Edited by sixbits (07/27/11 10:30 AM)

#2661549 - 07/27/11 10:29 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

ROFLMAO crazy

#2661565 - 07/27/11 10:41 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
barewire Offline
trapper

Loc: NM
What a nice guy. Just got off the phone with Mercer and I've got a copy of his new video coming as soon as he gets them. If any of the rest of you are interest his sight is cagingbobcats@gmail.com .While we were talking he gave me some advise on how to use a cage at a chicken pen where a bobcat is killing chickens. Bob your timing on this thread is just right for me. Thanks to you and all that have posted and shared their knowledge .

#2661566 - 07/27/11 10:42 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

Quick question, how many cages can you guys get out in a day of setting, and does your state require you to check them every day?

#2661569 - 07/27/11 10:46 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Michael,I have 24 hrs.Jeff is lucky he said he checks his every 3 days.I can get out 10 to 20 a day if things go ok.

#2661584 - 07/27/11 10:59 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

nice, that isnt as bad as i was thinking at least. Can you prelocate cages before hand, then just add the doors when time comes?

#2661589 - 07/27/11 11:07 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: sixbits]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Sixbits!! OK I'll answer your question because you directed it to me. Jeff likes to have fun, not to be so serious, but don't let him get you into trouble. By the looks of your pictures you trap right on target, no wonder you like double doors and trail sets. I do trap flatland where there is little drainage. I look for smooth travel ways like cow paths along fence lines or thicker areas. Look for places where roads and paths intersect or come to a tee. Like Scott said, people hike or ride along most of our trails and paths, so we set off to the side.

Jeff! Sixbits is helping with his pictures, give him a chance. Your package should arrive today, that should make you happy. I would like to hear your thoughts on what's inside. I look forward to seeing your posts!

Please help! This thread has survived a lot, and is still going, we all want to learn. Thanks again !! Bob

#2661619 - 07/27/11 11:43 AM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Ya Jeff,you tell him Bob.
I dont preset because of theft and my doors dont came off the trap.

#2661672 - 07/27/11 12:30 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Hyper, I could see where a trail set would work in both photos .Too bad you cant set there.

#2662097 - 07/27/11 06:52 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
Jeff Yancy Offline
trapper

Now gosh darnit Genie, you got the trap checking backwards. Its you that checks them every three days. I get checked regularly by the wardens, so checking every 24 hours is a must for me. I dont live in those desolate areas where the hillbillies rome free eatin' biscuits and tater salat. I see plenty of people every day. blush

By the way Genie, your friend Otie is the one that started the biscuit thing, so dont try to get me in trouble with Bob. cry

Edited by Jeff Yancy (07/27/11 06:57 PM)

#2662179 - 07/27/11 07:42 PM Re: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small [Re: Bob Small]
sixbits Offline
trapper

WHAT?? you telling me that wasnt funny Jeffer lol
You are right it was Otie.He has a way of doing that and never getting the blame.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 ... 32 33 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie