Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 30 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 29 30
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: MChewk] #5819502
02/19/17 03:13 PM
02/19/17 03:13 PM
Georgia
Y
yote65Ga Offline
trapper
yote65Ga  Offline
trapper
Y

Georgia
Originally Posted By: MChewk
I always thought the # 2 Newhouse would be a great all around trap....might change out chain or add a swivel.

I agree. That is why I'm stocking up on Sleepy Creek #2 double longs. They are the only brand that sells that size trap any more. At least the only ones the supply companies sell.

I've bought some Victor #2's that I will probably use for mink and coon. The only thing I don't care for on the older style traps is the wobbly pan. I see that as an issue when canine trapping. I've found PIT pan kits for the #3 Victor and Blake & Lamb double longsprings but not the #2's.

Jim
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Snares&All] #5819878
02/19/17 09:44 PM
02/19/17 09:44 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
I love my # 4 Blake and lamb long springs for coyotes. Previous owner laminated them, baseplated and center swiveled them. I messed around with the pans cutting grooves in the notch and the dog to give it some tension. I'm going to put pit pans on them after seeing all the beauties on this thread.

I also have a few 3 and 4 victors that are ancient. Strong springs and no mods. They work great too.

I use 11's and 2's Coon and water trapping. Some are b and l and some victors. The b and l are real strong.

The old Blake and lamb #1's single springs I have are amazing springs! Best Coon trap ever for me except for dog proofs?

I use coils too but see few advantages. Maybe easier to carry more in a pack basket. Cheaper to buy initially. Not as tough as a dbl in my opinion.

I also use jumps for everything too. I really like them. I'm going to put new pans on them too.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Snares&All] #5821650
02/21/17 10:58 AM
02/21/17 10:58 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Love the doubles, they just hold amd hold! This one is a northwoods #3

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Snares&All] #5822407
02/22/17 01:43 AM
02/22/17 01:43 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
I love dbls, they hold tight....anyone have any suggestions on an easy release of an animal that is in the dbls? Like a #4, I wanted to release a red from a dbls it was a pain...so he want home with me...

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: ambush32] #5822503
02/22/17 08:52 AM
02/22/17 08:52 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Originally Posted By: ambush32
I love dbls, they hold tight....anyone have any suggestions on an easy release of an animal that is in the dbls? Like a #4, I wanted to release a red from a dbls it was a pain...so he want home with me...

I think sterling fur sells these. Jiffy longspring setter

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
Caveat ater macula
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: ambush32] #5822636
02/22/17 11:12 AM
02/22/17 11:12 AM
Drain, Oregon
jayirvinh Offline
trapper
jayirvinh  Offline
trapper

Drain, Oregon
You would need a catch n release pole. Two people preferably. Hold animal with pole stand down on spring or break springs by hand pulling both springs back.

Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Snares&All] #5824368
02/23/17 08:26 PM
02/23/17 08:26 PM
Georgia
Y
yote65Ga Offline
trapper
yote65Ga  Offline
trapper
Y

Georgia
Those of you that have taken the chain off of the spring end of the double longsprings and moved it to the center, or close to it, of the base plate area...did you have issues with the chain on the spring? Did it cause swiveling problems or tangle issues? Do you think moving the chain to the center of the base plate had a large advantage or just a slight advantage?

I get the advantage on a more square jaw trap, but not on a round jaw trap.

Jim
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Snares&All] #5824654
02/23/17 11:17 PM
02/23/17 11:17 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Grey 55 I like it on the spring they bed nicer I agree its a square jaw issue , and centering up chain I do not think it hurts or helps

Kenneth schoening
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: yote65Ga] #5824869
02/24/17 06:27 AM
02/24/17 06:27 AM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted By: grey55
Those of you that have taken the chain off of the spring end of the double longsprings and moved it to the center, or close to it, of the base plate area...did you have issues with the chain on the spring? Did it cause swiveling problems or tangle issues? Do you think moving the chain to the center of the base plate had a large advantage or just a slight advantage?

I get the advantage on a more square jaw trap, but not on a round jaw trap.

I haven't seen a different on chain placement.

Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Snares&All] #5824878
02/24/17 07:02 AM
02/24/17 07:02 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
I center mine, most of my longs came with crappy twin loop which I swapped out for welded straight or twist link chain anyway, didn't like the spring clevis so center mounted them like most coils come now. Nothing bound up more than twin loop even with swivels and machine chain flows out of the bed much smoother. The springs rarely stayed straight out to each side after a catch, always seems to fold in anyway tight like a coil, so I just started center mounting to the base and seemed to have less issues with first swivel point especially on incidental coon. It also shortened up distance on water traps for me on drowners by moving to center and just a few links of chain to end swivel drowner. If on end of spring I had to allow for length of the spring too plus chain needed deeper water to drown.
Put a stick in the jaws of long and keep the clevis spring attachment, hang the chain up and spin the trap, the stick stays straight out as it spins...Do same with center mounted long...Stick hangs straight down opposite chain as it spins...It's a more direct rotation on swivel point and less stress on legs and feet trust me.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: jabNE] #5824888
02/24/17 07:42 AM
02/24/17 07:42 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Originally Posted By: jabNE
I center mine, most of my longs came with crappy twin loop which I swapped out for welded straight or twist link chain anyway, didn't like the spring clevis so center mounted them like most coils come now. Nothing bound up more than twin loop even with swivels and machine chain flows out of the bed much smoother. The springs rarely stayed straight out to each side after a catch, always seems to fold in anyway tight like a coil, so I just started center mounting to the base and seemed to have less issues with first swivel point especially on incidental coon. It also shortened up distance on water traps for me on drowners by moving to center and just a few links of chain to end swivel drowner. If on end of spring I had to allow for length of the spring too plus chain needed deeper water to drown.
Put a stick in the jaws of long and keep the clevis spring attachment, hang the chain up and spin the trap, the stick stays straight out as it spins...Do same with center mounted long...Stick hangs straight down opposite chain as it spins...It's a more direct rotation on swivel point and less stress on legs and feet trust me.
Jim

X2

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
Caveat ater macula
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: red mt] #5824966
02/24/17 09:35 AM
02/24/17 09:35 AM
Georgia
Y
yote65Ga Offline
trapper
yote65Ga  Offline
trapper
Y

Georgia
Originally Posted By: red mt
Grey 55 I like it on the spring they bed nicer I agree its a square jaw issue , and centering up chain I do not think it hurts or helps

This is why I am reluctant to center swivel. The ground that I trap mostly right now is rocky and its all I can do to get a trap bed in let a lone bury a longer chain under the trap. I usually go with a shorter chain and side swivel so that I can place the chain in front of the trap in the bed instead of underneath it. The way the chain is attached to the longspring trap from the factory gives me options. I can slide it along the spring on the clevis to conform to whatever bedding situation that I find myself in.

Jim
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: jabNE] #5824975
02/24/17 09:46 AM
02/24/17 09:46 AM
Georgia
Y
yote65Ga Offline
trapper
yote65Ga  Offline
trapper
Y

Georgia
Originally Posted By: jabNE
Jim

I get what you are saying but don't know if it would work here for me. I will probably try some center swiveled just to experiment and see how it goes.

It actually seems to me that a center swiveled double longspring trap would kind of function like blades of a propeller with the springs catching on everything in site as the trap and animal is swiveling around and around. I trust you guys though as you have been doing it a long time so I will give it a try on some sets.

I think it also depends on what your target is. A coyote especially would probably benefit from center swiveling more than say a coon as they are a larger animal and stand higher off of the ground so the trap would probably not come in contact with the ground duff like a coon would. It is interesting that the number 1.5 trap is usually used for coon more than anything else and most of those traps are side swiveled.

A lot to think about.

Jim
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Snares&All] #5825020
02/24/17 10:14 AM
02/24/17 10:14 AM
South Alabama
Boy Named Sue Offline
trapper
Boy Named Sue  Offline
trapper

South Alabama
Thank you for your replies on threes or fours. Its a personnel preference thing, I was just curious what others thought. I base plated a few traps with a center swivel. My chain set up is only about fourteen inches long, and it made it difficult to reset the trap over my knee after a catch. With the chain at the end of the spring there is plenty of length.

"Common sense is always the least common of sense."
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Snares&All] #5825055
02/24/17 10:45 AM
02/24/17 10:45 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
One down side i see to center swivel on a longspring is when using drags an animal could go between to small saplings, get the springs up against the saplings and pull the springs down enough to escape

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
Caveat ater macula
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Snares&All] #5826148
02/25/17 09:22 AM
02/25/17 09:22 AM
McCamey,TX usa
Govtrapper Offline
trapper
Govtrapper  Offline
trapper

McCamey,TX usa
I'm a longspring man. I'm still using alot of the old #4newhoust an McBride. Also I've been still using the old victors for coyotes. I still use dragssome so It doesn't take much more to bed a longspring for me

Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Boy Named Sue] #5826178
02/25/17 09:35 AM
02/25/17 09:35 AM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted By: Boy Named Sue
Thank you for your replies on threes or fours. Its a personnel preference thing, I was just curious what others thought. I base plated a few traps with a center swivel. My chain set up is only about fourteen inches long, and it made it difficult to reset the trap over my knee after a catch. With the chain at the end of the spring there is plenty of length.

I use short chains too. That is a definite advantage to leaving the chain on the spring. I use a setter to reset the center swiveled traps because of the short chains.

Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Snares&All] #5826213
02/25/17 09:51 AM
02/25/17 09:51 AM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
The more and animal moves after it get in a trap the more you want your traps center swivel.

Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Govtrapper] #5826254
02/25/17 10:19 AM
02/25/17 10:19 AM
Georgia
Y
yote65Ga Offline
trapper
yote65Ga  Offline
trapper
Y

Georgia
Originally Posted By: Govtrapper
I'm a longspring man. I'm still using alot of the old #4newhoust an McBride. Also I've been still using the old victors for coyotes. I still use dragssome so It doesn't take much more to bed a longspring for me

Govtrapper...Do you center swivel or do you leave the swivel on the spring?

Jim
Re: The great double longspring thread! [Re: Snares&All] #5829950
02/28/17 03:33 PM
02/28/17 03:33 PM
Georgia
Y
yote65Ga Offline
trapper
yote65Ga  Offline
trapper
Y

Georgia