Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 5 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2528919 - 04/02/11 08:03 AM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Is that an antique trap ?

Sure looks like it from here.

Not one I'd use on a trap line with all available...

#2551576 - 04/19/11 12:38 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

Loc: Central MN
#5 DLS are sometimes tough for me to seat the trap the way I want it.....

This beaver was 62 lbs.....Look at the trap compared to the beaver. Duke #5 DLS with Paw-I-trip....the only Duke foothold I use.

#2558656 - 04/24/11 03:02 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Love that shot ! smile

#2559735 - 04/25/11 01:57 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

If you look in the distance......and go just a little right of where the cattails start you can see a little dark spot in the cattails.

Thats the lodge.

Caught 6 beaver off of the shore this photo was taken on.

Beaver travel in the spring!

#2559969 - 04/25/11 05:51 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: Chris C.]
DrainMan Offline
trapper

Loc: Drain, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Chris C.
I love the looks of that large trap, but can't afford the price tag. The teeth are illegal here in Oregon. I use #4dbls vics and #4northwoods, also caught one on a #3 duke coil by the front foot. Maybe when I get better and have a nice fur check I might buy bigger and try them.

I just got a number 5 sleepy creek double longspring. I ordered it online at www.mtnrunsupply.com they sent it right out. $108.00. yes it had teeth. i took a hacksaw and sawed the teeth off and smoothed it up with a grinder and file. 9 inch jaw spread (legal in Oregon) and a beauty of a trap, very heavy. I got a bridger longspring trap setter to set all my long springs with.
Now my question is, "Wheres the beaver?"

#5 longspring high res image

#2561166 - 04/26/11 04:33 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
inthetallgrass Offline
trapper

Loc: North of the river in missouri
My question would be why spend 100.00+ on a beaver trap?

CDR"s are much cheaper

#2562272 - 04/27/11 01:27 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: inthetallgrass]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

That looks pretty similar to a Duke #5 DLS....and they're under $30.

I'm not a Duke fan myself...

#2563068 - 04/28/11 12:54 AM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: DrainMan]
~ADC~ Online   content
trapper

Loc: SE-Central Iowa
Originally Posted By: stealthbear

I just got a number 5 sleepy creek double longspring. ... yes it had teeth. i took a hacksaw and sawed the teeth off and smoothed it up with a grinder and file.

shocked

#2563714 - 04/28/11 05:07 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
beaverguy Offline
trapper

Loc: U. P. Michigan
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
I never use drowers on beaver.
Many agrue one has to, but I never found it to be true!

Well guy you just gave yourself away !!! In one post you say you've never lost a Beaver ( which is hard to believe ).. Then in this post you say you don't use drowners on Beaver !!! I've got 54 yrs trapping Beaver experiance and I'll say this to you>> either you have never trapped Beaver or your the luckiest person alive !! I would guess you've never trapped Beaver with foothold traps or if you have very,very few...
beaverguy

#2575888 - 05/09/11 09:32 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
J_M Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
Well this was my first year using foot holds for beaver. I used duke #4 do they work? I would have to say yes. The clincher here is the fact at I will not be using them this next year I will most definitely be using something larger #5 DLS or TS 85.
Thanks for all the great info you guys have provided for new trappers like me even though we might be pig headed once in a while.

#2605234 - 06/07/11 09:04 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

beaverguy, I have trapped as many beaver as anyone in my county...now we are not as big a beaver state as some places down south to be sure. That said, I have trapped beaver every year in footholds since 1987. I have NEVER used a drowner as there is no reason to with the right set-up and the right trap.
I trap beaver for fur and ADC work.
I have NEVER footed or toed a beaver. That's straight up!

Lucky ?...don't feel that has anything to do with it.
It's knowing how to properly set-up a trap and picking the right trap and the right bank.

#2630002 - 07/01/11 09:10 AM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

#2630164 - 07/01/11 12:15 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: ]
J. Brooks Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
Originally Posted By: Rick Federation
I was reading through the thread and see that some of you do not use a drowner rigs for beaver in leg holds. I just purchased 6 TS-85 and was in the process of setting up heavy drowner rigs. How do I set it up for beaver with out the drowner using my TS-85. Can somebody describe the set up from start to finish? I hate to ask for this much info but I want to do it right. Thanks for the help.

Rick,
It is not very complicated. Just add chain or cable and stake securely. I use pogos or rebar and know some guys are using a drag that they hookup in the brush.

I don't have any TS-85s but I used #5 Coils or MB-750s. They catch high on the front leg and do a fine job on the back foot. You want something with a jaw profile that will consistently get up above the front wrist. I used to use around 6-8' of chain but am going towards longer chains. I used 12-15' this spring and was amazed at how many more drowned with the longer set-up when they had access to deep water. I prefer chain to cable due to the durability and I think the extra weight is an asset for wearing them out in the deep water. If you can set in a place that has limited entaglement would be best and make sure you have good swivels. I set where they can move from the bank to the water. I don't catch near as many as a lot of guys but I have never footed a beaver either with this set-up. A toenail every now and then and a few pullouts but probably less than I do with drowning systems (and probably most, if not all, are operator error). If they have mobility they really don't seem to fight much. I think when a beaver hits the end of a drowner they fight like heck until they expire.

Hope this helps.

Judd

#2632808 - 07/04/11 10:34 AM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
MChewk Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Illinois
Judd you bring up an interesting point..."when the beaver hits the end of a drowner they fight like heck until they expire." I have witnessed that before. I wonder what occurs with a long chain, heavy trap rig like you, LT and others described? My guess is the beaver swims and swims and eventually becomes excessively fatigued and succumbs. I'm interested in this rig and it seems more and mores well known beaver (otter?) trappers are using (or will continue to use)this system. I have tried it before but will admit it was years ago before better heavier mb750, cdr 7.5 #5 Bridger/Duke, Sleepy Creek 4 1/2 traps came out. I mainly used #4 dbls and #4 Jumps with 8 ft of chain anchored in deep water. Had to many "bad experiences"...I switched to Charlie Dobbins positive drowning methods using same traps and my problems disappeared.

#2632987 - 07/04/11 02:47 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Seldom will a beaver on a long chain swim around and expire. Young beaver, yes. But not usual with an adult. I usually find them up on the bank sunning themselves and quite often asleep.

#2633478 - 07/05/11 07:42 AM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
MChewk Offline
trapper

HMMM... mountain man rig was a big trap rigged on a long wood dead pole...just thinking out loud.

#2635210 - 07/06/11 03:47 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
MChewk Offline
trapper

ttt

#2639793 - 07/10/11 12:50 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Right Mike, that is just how they trapped them....no drowners!

#2658639 - 07/24/11 10:31 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
conibear1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Heart of Minnesota
I always use drowners, deep enough water, and solid trap bedding. I run into enough problems with the public esp. doing ADC work. I don't want a beaver sitting around to draw attention. I respect anyone that can trap without drowners, but I like mine quiet, hidden, and waiting for me.

#2658746 - 07/25/11 05:44 AM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
MChewk Offline
trapper

I understand that Tony but how many problems (twist outs) occurred because of that method?

Page 5 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie