Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#248160 - 07/02/07 10:27 PM BOBCATS - How does weather affect cats?
pilgrim Offline
trapper

Loc: Burnet, TX
Has anyone noticed a differance in cat movement between low and high weather patterns.

#248171 - 07/02/07 10:33 PM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: pilgrim]
bulletbox Offline

Loc: Robert Lee, TEXAS
I think cats move before a front hits... and then 2 days after a front more than any other time...

You let a cold front come down the Pike and they kitties are gonna be on the move right before it gets to you...

Then they hold up and wait for the worse to get over, then they are out on the hunt again...

I think a wet front will turn them on more before it hits, then shut them down for a while until things dry out some in our country... You get a good cold dry front and the kitties are gonna move hard and heavy before it, but will not slow down as much as if it was a wet front....

That is just my opinion... you can take that and $2 and get a cup of coffee at most places now of days.......

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Even sheep are smart enough to shade up when it gets over 100....

#248180 - 07/02/07 10:41 PM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: bulletbox]
Billfrank Offline
trapper

Loc: TEXAS
BB, I have to agree with you I'm a big weather watcher when it comes to trapping. I make sure and have my quota of traps out the day before the front.Deer hunting is the same way....

#248214 - 07/02/07 11:05 PM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: Billfrank]
jp8102 Offline
trapper

Loc: merrill, ORY-GUN
cats HATE gettin wet. that should help ya out, lol. i agree with bullet. right befor, and depending how long it last, either right after or a day after a big storm. iv noticed huntin them that durin a snow storm they will move in a lil break of the storm also.
JP
coloradomountainadventures.net

#248224 - 07/02/07 11:20 PM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: jp8102]
Lone trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: TX
I also like to play temperature and moon phase.
I know one thing cats are unpredictable and your best bet is to keep your trap up and running as much as possible.

#248229 - 07/02/07 11:30 PM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: Lone trapper]
Cattrax Offline
trapper

Loc: Wy
I believe that they will move just before a front and here its usually the first night after the front has left they are on the move again. Another thing I have noticed here is if you watch the house cats around the county just before a big front they will be running hard at night, when ever I see a lot of house cats moving around I know the bobcats are moving too.

#248268 - 07/03/07 12:33 AM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: jp8102]
M. Howard Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
 Originally Posted By: jp8102
cats HATE gettin wet. that should help ya out, lol. i agree with bullet. right befor, and depending how long it last, either right after or a day after a big storm. iv noticed huntin them that durin a snow storm they will move in a lil break of the storm also.
JP

I use to think cats hate to get wet, but I have found that bob cat swim quite a bite. I don't think they like to be rained on for what ever reason, but I have take more bob cats at, near and even in the water over the past 4 years. I always set away from water thinking they would not go near it. With our increase in beaver population here over the past 20 years, more and more cats find a full four course meal on the water front. I have not logged enough weather changes on cat catches to know what they do like, but I have found in my area, the colder the better for trapping them.

http://www.louisianatrappers.com/index.html

#248327 - 07/03/07 05:40 AM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: M. Howard]
Slim Pedersen Offline
"Trapping Icon' "

Loc: N. Dakota
I use to figure that bobcats would be like house cats and not like to get wet. Over the years of trapping however, I have found that I usually caught more bobcats when it was snowing in the north or when it was raining in the south. No idea why.

All wildlife seem to move just ahead of a weather front and a day or two after. Think that is because they have to seek food through tough times.

I have also seen many times over the years where bobcats will hole up in little pockets with any available food supply during the periods of snow. Snow always tells a lot of stories, and I have found short drainages, or large rock piles that contained cottontail rabbits and the bobcats just camp there for up to thirty days at a time. Often not moving more than a few hundred yards in that time frame. I am sure they get tired of the place too, because if the weather breaks and snow melts down, or gets real cold, hard, and real crusty on top to where they can walk on top of it, they will move from those places and seek other areas.

#248356 - 07/03/07 06:55 AM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: Slim Pedersen]
Anonymous
Unregistered

i agree with slim,all the critters around here move a lot right before a big storm moves in,problem here is ,it has`nt stormed in so long that all the critters are moving to town to get a drink and a tame kitty or doggy for brunch

#248402 - 07/03/07 08:03 AM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: ]
CharlesKS Offline

Loc: Kansas,32,6-1,220,B/B NS
right before a big front is a great time, so is right after.

nothing is better than the first calm night after a snow, for cats or coyotes either one.

this big tom, came on the night we had a big ice. is was sleeting still when i checked this set. but most come before the front.

#248412 - 07/03/07 08:19 AM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: CharlesKS]
j lord Online   crying
trapper

Loc: Flatland TN
bobcats don't mind water, they'll go around a mud puddle, but a slight rain; they will be out on the move.

our lynx used to be out all night if it was a rainy drizzly night. only when it started to come down farily well would he come in.

http://www.jlordvideos.com/apps/forums/
"Trappers Lodge"

#248438 - 07/03/07 09:07 AM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: j lord]
Beaverboy Offline
trapper

Loc: Tom Bean Tx
The cats here would starve it's rained23 days straight here. I've seen cats moving to higher ground but the beaver calls have come to a dead stop...

#248457 - 07/03/07 09:28 AM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: Beaverboy]
GritGuy Offline

Loc: Magna, Utah
Don't know where the myth came from that cats hate water and won't move in the rian or snow. Boulderdash I say LOL, your not going to convince me that cats living in smwapy areas only move across logs and blowdowns without getting thier feet wet, or that in mountian climates where one is subjected to quick and hard weather actions they don't move. Now heavy strong storms you might have an argument, however most would readly agree that most animals would hunker down in these types of situations.

Seen to much sign to prove the opposite of that equation, however animals are all different and locations and habitat have a very perculair pressure on how they react to it.

I would agree thought it most applications that knowing when fronts are coming in or leaving would make most animals more subject to moving and less subject to using thier hard earned resources for just up and getting around.

One of the reasons I always advocate a person knowing all they can learn about thier targets and how they live in the wild. Having the equipment to harvest them in only on small detail to the overall picture or success!!

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

www.wasatchwild.com

#248547 - 07/03/07 11:22 AM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: GritGuy]
dcampbell Offline
trapper

Loc: livingston Tx
as soon as a front passes and the heavy rain stops is when i have better success. wont even attempt to explain the reason why.

#248669 - 07/03/07 01:14 PM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: dcampbell]
Clark Offline
trapper

Loc: Duluth, MN
I have noticed an increase in cat sign after the snow hits. I have not been in the game long enough to know if it was simply the cats moving more after the snow or the fresh snow allowed me to see their movements easier.

Slim - About these cats holing up in the winter...is this a rare occurrence time-wise and/or geographically? Or does it happen in specific locations relatively consistently?

GritGuy - I always enjoy your responses and some of the analogies and colorful language (in a good way) that you use. I've never heard of Boulder Dash, is this what you are talking about? I wouldn't have guessed you to be much of a gamer...

Clark

#248688 - 07/03/07 01:38 PM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: Clark]
GritGuy Offline

Loc: Magna, Utah
Hi Clark
No not much of a gamer at all, in fact I can't find the coordination needed to even handle them game controllers LOL

That term came from hearing a certain uncle alway trying to pound terms into my head about how to interpit different ways of saying things, meaning you can hear something one way and yet it will and can be meant entirely a different.

Boulderdash would be like the English term of Poppycock, or more to the point, crap LOL

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

www.wasatchwild.com

#248787 - 07/03/07 03:19 PM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: GritGuy]
Texas Wolfer Offline
trapper

Loc: Texas
I saw a bobcat swim out to a log that had a sleeping nutria on it.

Cat grabbed the nutria and the water show was on...After a few seconds the cat/nutria went under...and the cat let go and swam back to the bank...He shook the water off and looked back where the nutria was and eased off like nothing happened.

I bet he has caught a few like that.

#248833 - 07/03/07 03:56 PM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: Texas Wolfer]
Cattrax Offline
trapper

Loc: Wy
 Originally Posted By: Texas Wolfer
I saw a bobcat swim out to a log that had a sleeping nutria on it.

Cat grabbed the nutria and the water show was on...After a few seconds the cat/nutria went under...and the cat let go and swam back to the bank...He shook the water off and looked back where the nutria was and eased off like nothing happened.

I bet he has caught a few like that.

That would have been a good video!!

#248903 - 07/03/07 05:14 PM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: Cattrax]
Slim Pedersen Offline
"Trapping Icon' "

Loc: N. Dakota
Clark--It happens when snow is soft and deep is only time I have seen it---in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and in Idaho.

#249077 - 07/03/07 07:46 PM Re: How does weather affect cats? [Re: Slim Pedersen]
Marty Harmon Offline
trapper

Loc: north Mississippi
Wow Sam, I would have loved to see that also. When I'm trapping a mainly cat line, I usually set the ends of old logging roads, close to the main gravel roads, etc. This way I can cover a lot more area, therefore, exposing my sets to a lot more cats. I always looked forward to the checks right after rains. The first nights were usually good, but the second nights seemed better. I always figured that the cats were going back out to the main roads to re-mark their turf after the rain, but who knows?

My protruding parts not caught by a trap*****yet****ears, nose, and left testicle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie