ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rabies- Who do you send the carcass to? #2449838
02/16/11 11:26 PM
02/16/11 11:26 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline OP
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline OP
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
So tonight I got a call for a opossum that bit a person.

I showed up and shot the opossum for the homeowner who got bit. They wanted to take it to get tested for rabies and asked where to take it.

Now this is the first time I have ever dealt with a person being bit and I had no idea where they would have the animal tested.

Would seem that having a carcass tested for rabies would be cheaper than going through the rabies shots.

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2449850
02/16/11 11:31 PM
02/16/11 11:31 PM
Arkansas
Lunsford Offline
trapper
Lunsford  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
check with your local CDC (center for disease control)they should be able to help or point you in the right direction

Lifetime Member of National Rifle Association
East Arkansas FurTakers Chapter 29b
Lifetime Member of Arkansas Trapper's Association
Fur Takers of America
Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2449867
02/16/11 11:39 PM
02/16/11 11:39 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Trapping By Nate
So tonight I got a call for a opossum that bit a person.

I showed up and shot the opossum for the homeowner who got bit. They wanted to take it to get tested for rabies and asked where to take it.

Now this is the first time I have ever dealt with a person being bit and I had no idea where they would have the animal tested.

Would seem that having a carcass tested for rabies would be cheaper than going through the rabies shots.

In Florida we send everything through the local county board of health -start there.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2449961
02/17/11 12:20 AM
02/17/11 12:20 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Every state has it's own rules regarding how to handle that. For most as it is here in GA that is handled by the county animal control. In others it's the county health dept. Not to berate you but that SOP should have already been in place before hand.
BTW I hope you did not shoot it in the head as intact brain tissue is required for the antigen test. Also do not freeze the animal, put it on ice or in the fridge but no freezer.
I much prefer to advise my clients on how to proceed themselves with submitting an animal for testing. Otherwise it is I that is doing all the driving and relaying of information. To much opportunity for crossed wires. I would rather the client to deal directly with public health if needed as I ain't no doctor.

[Linked Image]
Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: warrior] #2450057
02/17/11 01:42 AM
02/17/11 01:42 AM
Wisconsin
M
Mike Wilhite Offline
trapper
Mike Wilhite  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Any vets office can send it to Madison for them. They (the vet) will have to submit paper work and contact the County Health Dept. Animal making contact with a person, test is a free service in WI, shipping is not, but it is a minimal charge. They are going to want just the head not the entire carcass.

Last edited by Mike Wilhite; 02/17/11 01:51 AM.

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2450227
02/17/11 08:07 AM
02/17/11 08:07 AM
morristown tn.
scott rainbolt Offline
trapper
scott rainbolt  Offline
trapper

morristown tn.
here i can take one to the health dept. or i case of a bite i can drive 45 mile to the usda office and get the testing fast tracked

rainbolt wildlife control morristown tennessee
http://tennesseetrappers.proboards.com/index.cgi
Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2450257
02/17/11 08:47 AM
02/17/11 08:47 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/communicable/Rabies/DiagnosticTesting.htm

I would suggest the customer call his doctor immediately. Doctors aren't alway informed about rabies but it is the best place to start imo.

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2450404
02/17/11 10:31 AM
02/17/11 10:31 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Nate, Agree with the folks talking about CDC which locally will be your county health dept.
Since Mike W. is in your state his handling of this is a good one to run with especially if
local vets will submit for you. Out here as long as you take it to a county health dept.
person they will ship for the homeowner or agent to get it to the lab for testing within the
state.

As already stated they are going to test part of the brain so they don't like this having
holes in it, they also don't want it frozen but this isn't an issue of diagnostics this is
an issue of thawing the animals head and waiting till you can get a piece of thawed brain to
put under the expensive microscope. So don't discard animals just because they have been shot
in the head, unless by chance the brain isn't present anymore (hows that for pc).

The other thing we find is there are a few qualifiers that health depts. will tend to ask.

If Bat Issue - was bat in a sleeping area within the home or in an area with a child less than
3 years old (sleeping you might not know bat landed on you bit you etc...young child means might
not speak up about the contact or that they again slept through it, so bat must be tested.

If Rodent Issue - Generally squirrels etc..aren't common vector species so the questions come out
like did bubba chase down and corner the squirrel who decided to take a bite out of bubbas hand,
or did the squirrel take a run at him while he was mowing the lawn and gnaw on his shin.

coyote, skunk, raccoon, opossum, fox - nearly always going to get a positive response from the health
dept. that they want to test it, especially if its a bite case like your referring to.

If I thought I was going to get lots of these calls in my area I'd line up something of a protocol that
you have confirmed with local county health and local veterinarians so you can have a clear statement
for your "clients" each time it occurs. Gives you that professional shine and will also help you keep
your liability issues down.

If Animal Control is active and you know them in your area again this protocol can help you save your time
and money as well by deferring to appropriate responsible party.

The last thing I'd say is that you will find some county health folks and doctors that are not even close to
being up to snuff on this or dismiss people when they call, or do not return calls, so I would build these
relationships so you know someone will be there for you when this happens, so you can keep rollin along.

just my .02 from my experience - guarantee on this one there will be lots of area specific issues which should
be expected.

hd

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2450437
02/17/11 10:50 AM
02/17/11 10:50 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Nate, we take ours to the Wisconsin Humane Society on 4500 W. Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee. On an added note; if your opossum tests positive, it may be the first one to ever do so.

I've never been bitten by an opie. I figure when I can no longer out run an opossum, it's probably time for the retirement home!

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #2450438
02/17/11 10:51 AM
02/17/11 10:51 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
paul - i sure like how you can always wrap some humor in with good information!

smile

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2450984
02/17/11 03:37 PM
02/17/11 03:37 PM
morristown tn.
scott rainbolt Offline
trapper
scott rainbolt  Offline
trapper

morristown tn.
not the first paul had one in tn. test positive think it was last year

rainbolt wildlife control morristown tennessee
http://tennesseetrappers.proboards.com/index.cgi
Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2451118
02/17/11 04:37 PM
02/17/11 04:37 PM
Colorado
P
ProFox Offline
trapper
ProFox  Offline
trapper
P

Colorado
Warrior
Why can't you freeze the specimen? Freezing does not kill the Rabies virus but preserves it.

Jake Trujillo
Golden, CO

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2451235
02/17/11 05:29 PM
02/17/11 05:29 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Freezing will rupture the brain cells and an INTACT brain is required. They will cut off micro thin slices to put under a scope.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: BigBob] #2451507
02/17/11 07:27 PM
02/17/11 07:27 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

BigBob,
Will you please provide a citation for that statement??

From CDC- http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/specific_groups/veterinarians/testing.html
Quote:
Except in the case of very small animals, such as bats, only the head or brain (including brain stem) should be submitted to the laboratory. To facilitate laboratory processing and prevent a delay in testing, any animal or animal specimen being submitted for testing should preferably be stored and shipped under refrigeration and not be frozen.
Blue emphasis added.

I can find no trustworthy reference to "Freezing will rupture the brain cells---"

EDIT: Also see http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/diagnosis/direct_fluorescent_antibody.html

Last edited by LAtrapper; 02/17/11 07:33 PM.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2451602
02/17/11 08:02 PM
02/17/11 08:02 PM
Oregon
T
Tsarevna Offline
"Gerty"
Tsarevna  Offline
"Gerty"
T

Oregon
But....freezing ruptures all cells. Water in cells becomes ice and it expands...only certain reptiles and insects have immunity to that and nobody is sure why.

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2451613
02/17/11 08:08 PM
02/17/11 08:08 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Ron Fry, I don't think you have to look an further than me and Salys to realise that cold weather can rupture brain cells!

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #2451859
02/17/11 09:30 PM
02/17/11 09:30 PM
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Paul W,
High temperatures, high humidity, hot attics, tight crawlspaces with copperheads and rattlesnakes and spiders; beaver swamps with cottonmouths and alligators, don’t do much to preserve brain cells either! crazy mad blush

I do agree that freezing is not recommended because it may delay testing due to the thaw time required. However, freezing does not preclude testing. Here is what “The Rabies Laboratory at the Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene (WSLH) (http://www.slh.wisc.edu/comdis/rabies.dot#RabiesAnimalTesting) has to say about the subject- “---Do not use dry ice or freeze the specimen prior to shipment; thawing a frozen specimen will delay testing.” I have submitted frozen specimens because the customer had killed the bat and thrown it out into the woods during the summer, a day or two earlier. I froze the specimens to delay further decomposition. It doesn’t take very long to thaw out a bat. I even had one of them come back “positive”.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2452076
02/17/11 10:32 PM
02/17/11 10:32 PM
lancaster,s.c.
J
james jackson Offline
trapper
james jackson  Offline
trapper
J

lancaster,s.c.
mine happens to be (DHEC)department of health and environmental control

Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Nathan Krause] #2452502
02/18/11 12:43 AM
02/18/11 12:43 AM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

A Branford Suwanee County Florida Raccoon Bite Story

I relocated a few years back from a busy metro Sarasota Fl to sleepy North Florida (Yawn) and documented my first rabies suspect on a blog. Just blogging the rabies suspect coon has paid off on folks reading and calling us with rabies questions and critters in their attics.

A Rabies Suspect Raccoon

A family friend called crying she was on her way to pick up her husband who was at work sick and refused to get medical help even though bitten by a raccoon. She asked me to step in and get help if necessary.

http://gainesvillewildliferemoval.com/2011/02/a-branford-suwanee-county-florida-raccoon-bite-story/

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Who do you send the carcass to? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #2453685
02/18/11 05:20 PM
02/18/11 05:20 PM
NH
J
JustinNH Offline
trapper
JustinNH  Offline
trapper
J

NH
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Nate, we take ours to the Wisconsin Humane Society on 4500 W. Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee. On an added note; if your opossum tests positive, it may be the first one to ever do so.

I've never been bitten by an opie. I figure when I can no longer out run an opossum, it's probably time for the retirement home!

lol

2011-2012 Trapping:
Skunk- 5
Grinner- 3
Coon- 2
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper