Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#242676 - 06/27/07 06:10 PM BOBCATS - Building Bobcat Cubbies
deerhunter65347 Offline
trapper

Loc: Higginsville Missouri
The first thing is just like realty location, location, location. We have here on the first pic a bluff line and where it comes into a bottom. It is even pinched down further by the fense at the end of bluff. I chose this location for its funneling effect. This location should pull them by the cubbie.

The second pic shows the location i chose for the cubbies construction. I start by finding 2 forked sticks about 2 ft long and setting them for my base of construction.

The following pic shows the upper beam that is put between your forked sticks. Then upon that you run your main ceiling beams off that beam. Now we have the basic set up for your cubbie.

The next pic shows how to set the top and sides of cubbie using what is at hand limbs and other brush busted up at the proper length to fill in the gaps.

The next pic shows the final step in the construction. Cover all the exposed shell with green and dry leafy material or dirt which ever you prefer. Now the cubbie has taken its shape and you have the dark opening into which they will investigate.

The next step is to place your set up in the front entrance to the cubbie. For this one i chose a sterling MJ600 with kinkless chain set on a drag. Why the drag you ask. Hopefully he will drag the trap and himself away from cubbie. This way the cubbie will stay intact and be used again.

The next pic shows my trap bed and trap placement. Along with the drag attached by one prong to the tree next to cubbie. This may hold him there but he should be able to be held long enough for trap to get a good hold.

The next pic shows the trap set and drag covered. Now the set only needs to be baited and lured. These peseason set ups are best as they do take time to set them up. Setting them now makes opening day easier. And gives the animal a chance to get used to seeing them and have no fear of them. This equals a faster catch. And more catches.

Now the next pic shows me next to the finished set to give you some perspective as to the size of the cubbie. I hope this has been useful for all the new trappers that would like to catch there first cat.

Coon Collector web site. http://www.cooncollector.com/

#242683 - 06/27/07 06:15 PM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: deerhunter65347]
Dcoonkiller Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi
Man that looks good will definatly try it. What bait do you use beaver meat?

#242695 - 06/27/07 06:22 PM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: Dcoonkiller]
deerhunter65347 Offline
trapper

a beaver leg with castor on the back of cubbie. And some chicken feathers wouldnt hurt a thing

#242711 - 06/27/07 06:29 PM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: trapperbill]
deerhunter65347 Offline
trapper

Those cast jaw sterlings are hard to beat.

#242761 - 06/27/07 06:55 PM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: trapperbill]
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming
Looks good but a flag would be a great addition to the set.

#242789 - 06/27/07 07:16 PM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: huntinglonewolf]
deerhunter65347 Offline
trapper

Some of them white chicken feathers would work great to.

#242806 - 06/27/07 07:34 PM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: huntinglonewolf]
Marty Harmon Offline
trapper

Loc: north Mississippi
Great post, only thing I'd do different is not hang the drag around that little tree. With my luck, the cat, "or possum", LOL would definately destroy the cubby.

My protruding parts not caught by a trap*****yet****ears, nose, and left testicle.

#242908 - 06/27/07 09:11 PM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: Marty Harmon]
deerhunter65347 Offline
trapper

They will destroy them if it stays there.

#243005 - 06/27/07 10:03 PM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: deerhunter65347]
Dcoonkiller Offline
trapper

I'd put a drowner lock on it to get away from the cubby. most likley possum the first 10 times for me.

#243070 - 06/27/07 10:41 PM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: Dcoonkiller]
deerhunter65347 Offline
trapper

Naw if they tear it up it doesnt take to long to put it back in action.

#243095 - 06/27/07 11:08 PM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: deerhunter65347]
Creek Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Kansas
Great instructional!

#243211 - 06/28/07 12:34 AM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: Creek Trapper]
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, I've read some posts that said a cubby put up now would not interest the cat by the time season rolled around. Have you ran into this? Just curious because I have some good cat area but I have to use cages here, so I was thinking a box trap with everything except the door sitting in a good spot.

#243258 - 06/28/07 04:46 AM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: ]
CoyoteBlaster Offline
trapper

Man...almost big enough to curl up in and take a nap....

#243288 - 06/28/07 06:47 AM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: CoyoteBlaster]
deerhunter65347 Offline
trapper

Pnwmtnmn The reason they would loose interest would be there is nothing for them. Give them some thing in it ever now and again so they now when they come by they may get a free snack. Go by a bag of dry cat food as a pr bait a handfull every now and again. Will keep the cubbie active. The dry food will draw mice and other rodents to. This alone will keep them coming to check the cubbie.

#243412 - 06/28/07 09:55 AM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: deerhunter65347]
phutch30 Offline
trapper

Loc: SW MT
Dont you have problems with human scent contamination trapping like that?LOL

#243414 - 06/28/07 09:57 AM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: phutch30]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you notice the caveman that snuck in on the last pic?

#243421 - 06/28/07 10:00 AM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: phutch30]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks real nice. If you build them before the season opens, does it help or hurt? Just wondering if it would be worth it to get a few dozen ready before season starts.

#243422 - 06/28/07 10:00 AM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: ]
Slate Offline
trapper

Loc: Carroll County, VA
Great post Enjoyed it I will try it this season!

#243451 - 06/28/07 10:34 AM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: ]
HighMtncat Offline
trapper

Loc: New Mexico
Looks great! for a cubby. Just a thought but here goes. In the first pic, That tree just to the left of the trail would be a great place to put a piece of poly fill about two feet off the ground with a little walk through set action underneath right against the tree. A little lure here and a turd there mabye some urine and bingo! ANY cat coming down that trail would be able to just casually check out whatever is going on without having to commit to the cubby. Even a rub set using the tree in the same manner just switching the poly fill for straight castor. Even a couple traps just set blind on the trail with some stepping sticks. This way you get the uninterested passer-by. I AM NOT BASHING THIS CUBBIE OR THE USE OF CUBBIES ! just suggesting a couple of options I saw in the first pic and YES i realize this post is about cubbie construction. Thanks-

#243455 - 06/28/07 10:38 AM Re: Building Bobcat Cubbies [Re: ]
45/70 Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
That's a nice cubby, but much more elaborate than what I build.

I build what I call a "Brush Arbor Cubby" out of what is handy at my set-site. If it gets torn apart, it can quickly be rebuilt
for the next one.

The brush arbor cubby doesn't require any pre-building before season, and special tools or equipment (except pliers and 14 ga. wire). A lot less weight to carry around.

Like I said you build a nice cubby, I'd sure set it, but where I am it might advertise your plans somewhat.

Adios,
45/70,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie