Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2413130 - 01/31/11 04:33 PM MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT
Jesse james Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky
Ive seen the coons coons amd only coons, and the mink mink and only mink post so i figured to try it on muskrats. Lets see some pics, tricks amd tips yall got for catchin muskrat

#2413312 - 01/31/11 05:30 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
wingnut Offline
trapper

Loc: Washington state
Locationrats,,Only three I've got this year using three colony traps.
2 otter
1 mink
2 raccoon

#2413345 - 01/31/11 05:42 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
foxaholic Offline
trapper

Loc: New York, USA
That first pic looks like muskrat heaven. grin

#2413352 - 01/31/11 05:46 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
ztbowtech Offline
trapper

Loc: Chautauqua county, ny
110s and 1 longs are the best.
pigeons-251
woodchucks-53
does-1

#2413414 - 01/31/11 06:09 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: ztbowtech]
thgreenwing Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By: ztbowtech
110s and 1 longs are the best.

1.5 longsprings are ideal. rarely any ring offs with high catch and plenty of weight for drowning them.

#2413437 - 01/31/11 06:16 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
frozenfeet Offline
trapper

Loc: Northeast Nebraska
Here are a few shots from this year.

#2413543 - 01/31/11 06:41 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
foxaholic Offline
trapper

I like to look into a crick or stream or ditch and see where the rats have been traeling. Usually you can look in there and see that the bottom has almost been carved out, then i put my 110 on a stake and jam it in down to the bottom. Then i angle sticks in over the top of the trap to force them to dive into my set.

Also another thing i like to do is create my own pinch points. There is one creek that runs into a pond that i trap and it about two feet wide and the muskrats seem to swim freely through it without much of a pattern. So, what i do is set two 110's side by side and then fill up the rest of the space around it with sticks and its almost like im damming up a section and it forces the rats right into the traps.

#2413591 - 01/31/11 06:51 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Jesse james Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky
What about slides? Ive heard alot of people say to find a slide and put ur trap right at the bottom of it in the water? Ive never seen a slide myself but have looked for them, would probably help to know what im lookin for, thats y i probably havent found one lol anyone have any pics of a slide?

#2413626 - 01/31/11 06:59 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
frozenfeet Offline
trapper

This is one of the colony trap set ups I made in a slow moving creek.

#2413691 - 01/31/11 07:15 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
foxaholic Offline
trapper

I dont really see many slides myself either. a pic would be nice.

#2413721 - 01/31/11 07:25 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
frozenfeet Offline
trapper

Wish I would have taken some slide pics at one of my locations there were some nice ones,but some can be very faint and hard to notice depending on the layout.Not always a beaten down path like a beaver.Some good pics would be nice.

#2414227 - 01/31/11 09:29 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
nccoyote Offline
trapper

Loc: Mocksville, NC
Anybody use snares for rats?

#2414336 - 01/31/11 10:10 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Joe Burg Offline
trapper

Loc: ne ks
Originally Posted By: Jesse james
What about slides? Ive heard alot of people say to find a slide and put ur trap right at the bottom of it in the water? Ive never seen a slide myself but have looked for them, would probably help to know what im lookin for, thats y i probably havent found one lol anyone have any pics of a slide?
not like a beaver slide but sort of,just anyplace were the rats are going in and out of the water. if you see rat sign, make your own slide....take your guantlet coverd hand and grab a handful of mud from under water, smear mud on bank(ilike a small incline)in line from wates edge up bank. set trap underwater stake to deeper water. you guys need to get out and just set traps. little kids 8 years old can trap rats easily. i love to trap them they are in my top 3 favorite critters to trap for. the more traps you set them nore you will catch. no lure needed. if you do buy lure id buy lenons or prairie wind both are great. like the pics with the kids great stuff there.

#2414413 - 01/31/11 10:39 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Joe Burg]
famlytrapn Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia, USA
If I'm correct and your rat territory is anything like mine was in WV, with the the creeks and hollers, the marshes and slides just aren't there. I caught 50-100 a year on the creeks and rivers with 1.50 single or double long spring with a drowning rig. A slice of apple for bait, I've already put this set on here a few times so I'm not going to repeat it but check the archives.

#2414658 - 02/01/11 01:16 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
wingnut Offline
trapper

Loc: Washington state
We can only use colony traps here. and most den entrances are inaccessible due to steep banks.I will be setting a new spot this weekend.Three colony traps and two cage traps baited with fresh muskrat.Wish I could throw in some #3's for the bobcat and yotes, and a handfull of #4's for the beaver.Hopefully next year.
2 otter
1 mink
2 raccoon

#2414882 - 02/01/11 08:03 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Joe Burg]
ztbowtech Offline
trapper

if you see rat sign, make your own slide....take your guantlet coverd hand and grab a handful of mud from under water, smear mud on bank(ilike a small incline)in line from wates edge up bank. set trap underwater stake to deeper water. you guys need to get out and just set traps. little kids 8 years old can trap rats easily. i love to trap them they are in my top 3 favorite critters to trap for. the more traps you set them nore you will catch. no lure needed. if you do buy lure id buy lenons or prairie wind both are great. like the pics with the kids great stuff there. [/quote]

This topic is for people to post there sets and ideas. Some people just would like to know what a slide looks like so don't bash people that dont know. A first or even a third year trapper does not know the stuff a vertern 10+ year trapper knows. All you need to do is say your set or ideas and move on. DON'T BASH PEOPLE!!!!

Ok back to the tread. Blind sets are my most productive with 110/ 160. Next are feed beds and toilets. On these i place a 1 long or stoploss right in front of it then and take a little muskrat lure(MUSKRAT #1) and place it on there, i dont use bait because i havent found a need for it if they are already going there. The lure helps bring them to that one if thee are others around aswell that you don't have traps for. drowner slides are not needed for rats. most of the time the rats can't get the trap down it and i find them withj in a foot of where they were caught. A 1 long is heavy enough to drown a rat in as little as 3 inches of water. All you need to do is place a stake in deeper water atleast a foot from the bank and run a length wire fron the stake to the trap chain and you are done. stacks can be rebar or wood pole you cut your self. Just make sure it is solid enough for the biggest critter you could posobly catch(beaver, otter, or raccoon).
GOOD LUCK AND GOOD TRAPPING
ZANE TUCKER
pigeons-251
woodchucks-53
does-1

#2414944 - 02/01/11 08:43 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: ztbowtech]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

Loc: Central MN
Oh Geez....

Nobody is bashing anybody.

#2414950 - 02/01/11 08:45 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
ztbowtech Offline
trapper

saying little kids can traps easly after some one askes a question is bashing.

anyways.
pigeons-251
woodchucks-53
does-1

#2414964 - 02/01/11 08:52 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Kyle Weaver Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Oh

This is right before a little bridge going over a ditch to get farm epquipment and such across. i saw some muskrat crap on a rock and though this would be the perfect pinch point(rocks were already like that.Im asuming i caught him the first night since the next 3 days everything was under probaly 4 foot of water from the rain. When the water finaly slowed and lowered i found a nice muskrat in it my first but had to pull so not sure if there were many left.

#2414987 - 02/01/11 08:59 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
ztbowtech Offline
trapper

looks like a nice set. also looks like you could put one to the right next to the bank as well.
pigeons-251
woodchucks-53
does-1

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 ... 22 23 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie