Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2419187 - 02/02/11 08:08 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
walrustrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: MI
not even sure what that is or how to do it. im new at this and just got my first computer a month ago. ive learned a ton of things from going online. still have an awful lot to learn. not much of a computer guy but im gettin the hang of it. the first time i heard of a colony trap was in this topic a few posts ago

#2419201 - 02/02/11 08:13 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
frozenfeet Offline
trapper

Loc: Northeast Nebraska
I bet if you make a few colony's to fit those runs your trapping with the modded 120's.You will throw those 120's in the back of the shed.Check on youtube there are a few videos on how to make them,easy and effect.

#2419207 - 02/02/11 08:17 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
walrustrapper Offline
trapper

i'll do that. thanks

#2419219 - 02/02/11 08:20 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
frozenfeet Offline
trapper

Loc: Northeast Nebraska
I'm hoping to liven up this thread so this is a setup I used last season under the ice.It's a 220 minus one spring with a styrofoam platform.I baited with carrots and taters.This did work with good results.I think my location was off a bit,but anyhow thought I would share.

#2419239 - 02/02/11 08:27 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Jesse james Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky
Slick thinkin frozen feet!

#2419350 - 02/02/11 09:05 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: frozenfeet]
TRAPPER-ED Offline
trapper

Loc: N. W. MISSOURI
Originally Posted By: Jesse james
Slick thinkin frozen feet!
Originally Posted By: frozenfeet
I'm hoping to liven up this thread so this is a setup I used last season under the ice.It's a 220 minus one spring with a styrofoam platform.I baited with carrots and taters.This did work with good results.I think my location was off a bit,but anyhow thought I would share.

I was going to try that set in the deeper water rat house,under the ice .

#2419362 - 02/02/11 09:09 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
cme4293 Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
man you guys fight like school kids, the point of this topic is to hel p people understand more about rats and trapping.

i am no where near being a big numbers guy so take it for what its worth but i like 110s or colony traps in front of dens, or in runs. I set slides when i see them but my catches are mostly den and run sets. Also pockets with a 1.5 or 11 and put on a drowner in case a coon happens along.

some good ideas being tossed around, i may try the widened 120, i have also heard of people putting styrofoam on the triggers, why do you do that? visual attractant? and also heard of people using single spring 220s for larger runs, but never actually tried it

#2419365 - 02/02/11 09:10 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
walrustrapper Offline
trapper

how thick is the ice?

#2419423 - 02/02/11 09:29 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: walrustrapper]
Adam Blessinger Offline
trapper

Loc: southern Indiana
I usually don't find many holes so I just look for areas where there is rat activity whether it is scratching slides or feeding areas. Most places I trap for rats are near corn fields so I just use my resources. I usually look for corn but I always carry extras just in case I can't find any. I use #1 coilsprings #1.5 longsprings and #11 double longsprings. I look for the most used areas and make a small shelf in the mud to place the corn. I usually place half to a full handfull of corn on the bank just a few inches above the water line. The trap is usually bedded under 1-4 inches of water and as close to the corn as possible. Traps were staked in deeper water as the weight of the traps usually drowns the rats. Of the 52 rats I caught this year at least 40 of them were caught this way. The only time this doesn't work too well is when there is snow cause the birds will usually get the corn before the rats. This set also takes the occasional coon.

#2420174 - 02/03/11 10:09 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Adam Blessinger]
Gander Club Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Mi.
Originally Posted By: Adam Blessinger
I usually don't find many holes so I just look for areas where there is rat activity whether it is scratching slides or feeding areas. Most places I trap for rats are near corn fields so I just use my resources. I usually look for corn but I always carry extras just in case I can't find any. I use #1 coilsprings #1.5 longsprings and #11 double longsprings. I look for the most used areas and make a small shelf in the mud to place the corn. I usually place half to a full handfull of corn on the bank just a few inches above the water line. The trap is usually bedded under 1-4 inches of water and as close to the corn as possible. Traps were staked in deeper water as the weight of the traps usually drowns the rats. Of the 52 rats I caught this year at least 40 of them were caught this way. The only time this doesn't work too well is when there is snow cause the birds will usually get the corn before the rats. This set also takes the occasional coon.

If you are not carefull, it will take the occasional duck as well!

Edited by Gander Club (02/03/11 10:10 AM)

#2420345 - 02/03/11 11:54 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
ray12 Offline
trapper

Loc: Millersburg OH,
Muskrats,coon,mink like to hug the banks so i try to look for places where it naturally funnels them like this here little mound all i do is set a 11/2cs behind the mound where they will be walking

this is how it looked the next day

I also like to use a #110 gaurding there dens,,,very easy set

There are also other sets that i use but these are my favorite

Check Out

www.GJhunting.com

#2421519 - 02/03/11 08:20 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
dkblazy Offline
trapper

Loc: Bozeman MT
where is the trap placement in the first pic?

#2421530 - 02/03/11 08:25 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
ztbowtech Offline
trapper

Loc: Chautauqua county, ny
not sure but i think it is between the mound and the bank where the brown grass is. that would be my guess
pigeons-251
woodchucks-53
does-1

#2421554 - 02/03/11 08:39 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
dkblazy Offline
trapper

what do you suppose that orange thing is? the drowner?

#2421987 - 02/03/11 11:55 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: dkblazy]
wingnut Offline
trapper

Loc: Washington state
stake drowning wire is attached to.
Originally Posted By: dkblazy
what do you suppose that orange thing is? the drowner?
2 otter
1 mink
2 raccoon

#2422094 - 02/04/11 04:45 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
lbtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
question for you guys...if your just using #1 jumps, LS, and CS with no stoplosses..is there any other method to keep rats from ringing out of chewing off there foot? my rats are VERY conibear shy so i use all footholds.

#2422241 - 02/04/11 08:03 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
dkblazy Offline
trapper

drown them.

#2422244 - 02/04/11 08:04 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
ztbowtech Offline
trapper

i use 1 longs and if you can get them to a least 5 inches of water you wont have any problems. i drowned one. in less than that
pigeons-251
woodchucks-53
does-1

#2422348 - 02/04/11 09:05 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: ztbowtech]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

Loc: Central MN
UGH.

Ever had to fight the urge to say what's really on your mind?

That's what I'm doing right now.

................ eek........ confused........... shocked

Zbowtech, that's cool you caught 4 rats last year. Even two in one day. I know that sounds sarcastic, but I'm being serious. That's cool...and I have no doubt in my mind that you will whack and stack more next year too. You're numbers are only going to go up. That's one of the things I like most about trapping.

BUT....you don't need to repeatedly keep offering advice. It's okay, but I've noticed that there have been more times than I can count on two hands where you've given advice on something you know nothing about (mink boxes/refusals...although you said you never caught a mink) and lately on this thread about your 4 muskrat career.

Don't mean to be hard on you in any way....I just notice that everywhere you post anything it turns into a "no bashing" or "no flaming" or "everyone has their own opinions" episode. Need to take a step back and ask yourself why this occurs everytime you post.

"i use 1 longs and if you can get them to a least 5 inches of water you wont have any problems. i drowned one. in less than that"

Now if you can't figure out why guys are going to give you a hard time about that...then I don't know what to tell you.

-there aren't many places where you trap rats that the water isn't sufficient enough to drown.

-Saying you use #1 LS for rats isn't really a tip.

-you said yourself you have drowned one muskrat in your career.

Just saying you are leaving yourself wide open for criticism with statements like that. Now I'm sure people will jump my case and say "leave the kid alone"...."don't be so hard on him"...etc. Boo hoo hoo. Anytime I've ever screwed up or made mistakes in life I got clobbered by criticism, sarcasm, and I most definately wasn't allowed to run around claiming that everybody's picking on me....draw a bunch of attention to myself, and then continue on without making any attempt to correct myself.

Sorry....hate me if you want. Just my opinion. Tired of the crybaby/no bashing talk.

I will end with a quote from the legend himself, Will Ferrel:

"....Everbody love everybody!"

#2422356 - 02/04/11 09:10 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
ztbowtech Offline
trapper

i didnt mean to put the period after drowned. i dorwned every one i caught besides 1. just because i have only caught 4 doesnt mean i don't know thing. i have leaned alot and is it a crime to share what you have leanred with others on the same subgect you have learned about. NO so stop putting me out like that and if you have a problem with me say it to me not the whole freeking world. Also i dont go crying around drawing attentionm to my self so stop makeing crap up to make me sound like some low life.
pigeons-251
woodchucks-53
does-1

Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie