Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Flemingtraps
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Fleming Traps

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 10 of 23 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2720946 - 09/07/11 08:54 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Predator Wild Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Missouri
That's wild! I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing how you do. Do you skin all of them or have help?

#2720953 - 09/07/11 08:59 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

lol no to the skinning on the 1723. i brought my 18 year old nephew from california with, and he has never seen a dead muskrat in his life, but in a couple days was knocking out 250 per day easily. I typically do my own skinning in the fall, but not this year. my nephew is going to come live with us and skin for me for 4 or 5 weeks, allowing me to trap fulltime everyday. This will be the first year ive been able to hit it this hard, so it might get interesting. I have a sweet skinning table rigged up and an electric winch skinning machine for coon, so it isnt too bad.

I bought an 8'x 8'x 7'6" tall walk in freezer this summer in preperation for this season. I still need to get it setup and get a rack system in it.

michael

#2721203 - 09/07/11 12:19 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
andrews1958 Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
What kinda of sets and traps do you use? Are you trapping marshes, rivers or alot of traveling by a truck. Do you go in and flood an area with traps and then move on. 400 traps in a day. You ust be really moving. Anymore pictures? Love to see them

#2722421 - 09/07/11 10:53 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
coonsmen Offline
trapper

Loc: morgan county illinois
yes michael if you get a chance what some pointers to catching that many in in a day
0-20 coyotes
0-2 fox
0-10 mink
0-0 skunks
0-0 oposums

#2723246 - 09/08/11 04:07 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Otis Offline
trapper

Loc: Watertown, SD
Set a lot of traps that are easy to access/see/set/check in an area with a lot of rats under the right weather/ice conditions in the spring season and then work your hind end off. laugh

Oh, and I catch nowhere near as many rats as michael, for the record. wink

Edited by Otis (09/08/11 04:07 PM)

Just trying to survive in a world full of idiots.

#2723780 - 09/08/11 08:38 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

But you could if you wanted to Otis, you aint fooling me. Guys, it boils down to how hard you want it. Take me and Otis for example. He is in a place in his life where he enjoys going out and checking his 100 traps after work and when he gets home, he skins his catch and admires the fine work he's done. Nothing wrong with it, and I too will be there someday. for me, I need to make $$ at it if I am taking time away from my wife and 1.2year old son. Yes, that is 1.2 years. lol anyway I ran 400 traps last spring and plan to almost double that this year. I hired someone to skin my catch so I could spend every second of daylight setting, moving, and tending traps. Ok, I am just guessing about Otis, but I bet I'm not too far from the truth there.

For any critter you need to find a fast but efficent set that will take the maximum number of critters and allow you to check the most traps possible. there is no secret lure or set, just hard work and another thing, there is no 'll fix that set tomorrow." if something needs fixin there is not time like the present!

#2723999 - 09/08/11 10:08 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Otis Offline
trapper

This fall I'll be checking 86 traps (that's if my brother traps and I don't borrow his again and if mama doesn't let me spend any more money smile ) and I don't put up rats so I can spend more time with my wife and my 14 month (1.2 years?) old daughter, but otherwise that's right laugh

Although, trap count for me is all about investment, I'm really not where I want to be. 3 years ago I started with 14 traps that I had left hanging in the garage from when I trapped in high school. I used my fur checks that year to buy a few more traps. Did the same the next year, will do the same this year. Fur checks will pay for about another 200 traps this winter so I have them for the spring if things go well. Right now the sky's the limit. If I can get to 400 by next fall, maybe 800 in a couple years if fur prices stay high, I'll be in the same boat. I'm working out a system that is efficient, fun, and profitable, and expanding it in stages until I hit the limit of what I can do, and I don't think I'm anywhere near it yet.

But like you said, you have to want it, because it's going to be a mad dash to check 20 floats and 50 other sets in 2 hours, alone, in the dark, on a 40 mile route this fall. Next spring, I don't know how I'll do it but I'll do it because I haven't been this obsessed with anything since I fished walleye tournaments.

But you know, if I can prove to my wife that I can make a living trapping, selling at the farmer's market, working as a farmhand in the summer, maybe someday she'll let me quit my day job wink

#2724068 - 09/08/11 10:52 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
DakotaBoy Offline
trapper

Loc: Dickinson,ND
Otis, we're dang close (geographically speaking) to each other! I trap alot like you, use the fur check for more traps. Is that a 40 mile round trip route you make or 40 miles each way? I trapped 'rats in SD for my first time last year and LOVED it. What around here are usually your most effective setups? Use any bait?

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"

#2724301 - 09/09/11 08:35 AM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Otis Offline
trapper

That's 40 miles in a kind of figure 8, counting from my driveway back to my driveway, I live about 10 miles out of town so I start setting about 1/2 mile from my house. I'm not sure exactly how long it'll be this fall, we'll see what the coon sign is like. I plan to make a couple dozen sets just for coon and mink along the way between rat sets.

About half of my traps in the fall are on floats, and the other half are for whatever else looks good. I don't bother with bait on floats, if I want to add attraction I pull up a handful of mud and smear it on the float and then pile it with some cattail tubers and whatever weeds I can pull off the bottom of the slough. It ends up looking and smelling kind of like a muskrat feedbed that way. The first year I ran floats I was using apple slices for bait, and it was just a pain and didn't seem to make any difference. My favorite place to set is a rat toilet next to the entrance of a bank den, or if I can find a shallow bank den and pop a 110 in it. Otherwise, I scatter floats in areas that show a lot of sign. Another set that works for me is to pull some weeds and mud off the bottom of the slough and pile it on the shore and set a #1 in front of it right at the edge of the water. A little rat gland and some fish oil and that would take coon and mink too.

How are your rat numbers looking down that way? My brother traps around brandt and some over around white (no idea why he drives that far, he lives in watertown) and says that some of the rat sloughs seem to have zero rats in them this fall, after being loaded this spring. I've noticed a few like that up here but figure that's just normal population fluctuation.

#2724955 - 09/09/11 05:45 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Otis]
DakotaBoy Offline
trapper

Loc: Dickinson,ND
Interesting. I've made myself 19 floats to try out (not remembering that I've only got about 28 muskrat traps, and two traps to a float...well, you do the math) and plan on hitting them hard late fall/early winter. I haven't gone and scouted yet, but I've got a couple places in mind that I got permission to trap on last year but didn't get the chance to make it there. I'll check them out this year, but I bet they're still packed with 'rats. I'll be trapping mostly around Brookings and Oldham. My trapping mentor doesn't bother with bait either, he'll just pile some weeds in the middle of the float like you do and he pounds 'em pretty good that way. What are you using for your stake on your floats? I'm thinking of just getting some 3/4" pvc as it's alot lighter than rebar.

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"

#2725007 - 09/09/11 06:27 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Otis Offline
trapper

I've struggled a lot with staking methods. I don't like to center stake because I don't want to buy a bunch of plastic stakes. I've just wired to a willow branch stake in general, keeping the trap chains short enough so that they rat can't tangle in the wire easily, but sometimes they still do. This year I made a bunch of 3 inch rings out of 9 ga. wire and attached them to the side of the float, so I can just slip the ring over my willow branch stake. I get the benefit of center staking without having to buy stakes, plus I can use my willow stakes on bank sets and even for staking coon sets if I use the thick ones, shorten them and pound them in deep with a hammer. I carry less different stuff that way.

If the water's really deep though, I'll still use my old way because I don't need 6 foot long stakes that way, it doesn't matter if the stake is underwater when it's wired to the float. Plus sometimes the ditch water is really deep and if it's wired to a stake I can use a long wire to the stake and a long branch to push the float out further into the cattails along the fence line, I just use a hook pole to pull it back where I can reach it. Less likely to be seen and stolen there, and I think the rats follow the edge of the cattails a lot so it's in a better spot.

Plus, I think that the willow branch, and I also sometimes use poplar, is kind of an attractant. I know when I use a green willow or poplar branch the rats chew all the bark off after a couple weeks.

#2727266 - 09/11/11 03:43 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
ducky Offline
trapper

Loc: androscogin county maine
how big sould the hole in a colony trap be i made 3 out of 2x3 wire is this to big

13/14 winter/spring season

rats 16/30
beaver 3/10
otter 1
mink 1

#2727802 - 09/11/11 10:27 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

that aint gonna work duck. i think a beaver could get out of 2x3! Really though, it is too large of an opening.

#2730393 - 09/13/11 07:00 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: ztbowtech]
Greg Melsom Offline
trapper

Loc: Greenville S.C.
Iv'e herd that 110s are very good for catching muskrats. However, im a new trapper and i would like to no what Brand do u think i should use?. I was going to go with 110 duke coniber and 1.5 duke coilspring. Is this a good choice? And if so, what are some other good muskrat sets.

#2730451 - 09/13/11 07:27 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

Greg, those are excellent choices! The new duke 110's are amazingly strong compared to older victors, and what more can be said about the 1.5 coil- nothing, they are awesome and this year I will have all my victors and blake and lambs hanging in the shed while I have nothing but duke 1.5 coils out on the line.

That said, any brand will work, use what you have, and use what you can afford, but for rats you need nothing more than what you've mentioned.

michael

#2730738 - 09/13/11 09:21 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
michael obrien, oddball question, but were you at the MN Trappers Convention down at Redwood falls here this Summer?

#2730808 - 09/13/11 09:53 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

yeah, i was the good looking one!

#2730842 - 09/13/11 10:06 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

I thought so! No I was evesdropping in on a conversation between two fellers talking about muskrat trapping and darn if one didn't look a lot like your picture. Don't mean to creap you out, I was just reading these pages and thought, Hey I've seen that guy.

By the way I plan on running a line W of Rockford between 12 and 55 this Fall. Hope I ain't in your path...you've got me flat beat on traps!

#2730903 - 09/13/11 10:30 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

no, way west of that and there is plenty of critters, and plenty of room if we did overlap. Were you the guy hiding behind the rusted out truck with one of them electronic evesdropping devices? lol

#2730961 - 09/13/11 11:01 PM Re: MUSKRAT, MUSKRAT, and only MUSKRAT [Re: Jesse james]
Warmutt Offline
trapper

Yup, that was me trying to find yer' secret rat'n spot! No I was actually buying some Dukes from a guy out of WI. About two or three booths to the E a guy was selling some older traps and I think you two were talking. My friends tell me I have a mind like a phonografic record. Skip pop skip pop skip pop.

Page 10 of 23 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 23 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30