Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2392502 - 01/22/11 08:40 AM Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures...
330-Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
First of all this Set up is only ONE design... and the Pictures are given to show design ONLY...

My thoughts are only my opinion based on using various different bodygrip traps for over 30 years... however they are my firm beliefs in the Benefits of using the Belisle line of traps.

Side of Coon box made for Belisle 220 or 160... note long setback cut, and extended top... this does not lower the Coon catchs, only prevents dogs from getting to the trap. These notches are a little wide, but the depth is just right.

Front Shot showing the Belisle Safety hooks staying where you put them... Huge benefit!

Jaw corners that don't allow Spring loops to go around them.

The backside of the Dog is flat, this allows for the jaws to close very tightly, other dogs keep the jaws apart almost 3/16th of an inch or more on some brands.

The Belisle Safety hooks in my mind are their best benefit... When setting a trap, having a hook that does not swing freely and stays where you want it is awesome, plus when making the set they allow you to complete the Make, before releasing the safetys, and when the Trap fires there is zero chance that the hooks can (as they sometimes do) swing catching the spring... and not allowing the trap to close 100%

As I said above, these Pictures are for example and my thoughts are just my opinion.

Happy Trapping.

#2392531 - 01/22/11 08:59 AM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
Earl-G Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
Just a oberservation but doesnt the box sink into the snow without a bottom on it? if it does sit in the snow wouldnt the bottom of the coni be just under the surface and possibly freeze in?

#2392552 - 01/22/11 09:15 AM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
330-Trapper Offline
trapper

Earl-G...

You gotta play the Seasons.... and adjust to conditions, I haven't found them to sink in Yet, However I use them 98% of the Time before deep snow... and some sticks or saw grass added as a base if they do.
A natural bottom seems to work well for me...no transition from ground cover to Wood.

*they have proven to work very well on Bobcats also.

Edited by 330-Trapper (01/22/11 03:09 PM)
Edit Reason: explained base technique

#2392575 - 01/22/11 09:29 AM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

Loc: Central MN
Made some of these boxes last summer for Belisle 160's. With 9" tall sides, I still felt this fall that they seemed awfully low to the ground.

Wondering if the same box style, but with 12"-14" sides might work better? Bringing the trap higher might make it more accesible for non-targets, but I do use caution when setting any baited body grip set.

Otherwise I was very pleased with the design, and liked the fact that they stack.

#2392588 - 01/22/11 09:34 AM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
ForrestŪ Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Nice Post Scott smile

#2392617 - 01/22/11 09:44 AM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
330-Trapper Offline
trapper

Very Nice Box's MNCedar!!!

and thanks LLCo.

#2392747 - 01/22/11 11:09 AM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
Earl-G Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
Thanks for the info 330 my use of onland body grips is pretty limited but someday I hope to head up north and go for cats/fisher with this method and so I am soaking up all the information I can get!

#2392758 - 01/22/11 11:13 AM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: Earl-G]
Hunter50 Offline
trapper

Loc: Statesville.,NC
Excellent post 330,I'll definately be trying your style of box next season I like the over hang on those.

#2393174 - 01/22/11 02:32 PM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: Hunter50]
330-Trapper Offline
trapper

The Overhang helps with Weather blowing in and adds to the set back for more Dog proof trapping of Coons.

The Back with a half board adds strength and the hardware cloth allows the Bait odor to get out and tempt the Animals...

#2393184 - 01/22/11 02:37 PM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
Lostinthewoods Offline
trapper

Loc: West Michigan
330, that set-up is very much like mine, your slots are twice as wide as mine and half as deep as mine. I have all Belisle traps and the only thing I change is to loosen up the safety hooks abit, they are hard to slide out to go in a box.
I pack the snow down hard, for my sets(open bottom) and it slows down the shrews to. Do you have a preference on where the trigger goes, inside ,outside, top ,bottom?
Coon:3
Beaver:
Fox:
Grinners:7
Skunk:
Life Member: NRA,N.American hunting club,Whitetails Unlimited.

#2393259 - 01/22/11 03:03 PM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
BackWoodsHunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Stevens Point, WI
do you have any dimensions for this box? and how much clearance does the trap need to be able to snap shut?

Bear with me I'm new to trapping and never even used a conibear I am in the process of gathering traps and knowledge and hopefully by fall I can catch a few critters!

#2393344 - 01/22/11 03:52 PM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
330-Trapper Offline
trapper

Lostinthewoods I like the spring pushed down to firm up the trap in the slots (mine could be narrower) that lifts the jaws slightly off the ground... the Trigger wires are in a L shape and usually on hte left side & along the bottom jaw.

BackWoodsHunter ... we were all Newbies at one time, these boxs are built for the Belisle 220
Top 1x12x24
Sides 1x10x18
Back board on lower half is an 8inch 1x6... with hardware mesh on the top half of the back.
Notches are halfway down, and because of the overhang which sets them back in ... the notches are only 3.5inches deep. although they could be made narrower.

Using a Wooden Pan on the trigger works well for targeting Bobcats, along with lifting the front up at an angle, Add litter along the outside gaps. These pics are just showing the different trigger options.

#2393700 - 01/22/11 07:07 PM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

Do you use pans for coon as well?

Rigged up a few...not on Belisles... for cats this year...

#2393810 - 01/22/11 07:39 PM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
330-Trapper Offline
trapper

MNCedar,

That is a Nice box!

I use the pans mostly for Cats, but they work great for Coon also. never did a test Wire Vs. wood on coon. Looks like you used a nice dip on that Bodygripper!

#2393947 - 01/22/11 08:18 PM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

I am a big fan of Formula one....on everything.

Wanted to try some pans for coon next year. I would think a pan would put the coon farther in the trap...but maybe not?

Definately like the results of a Belisle right behing a coon's ears.

#2394773 - 01/23/11 06:10 AM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: MNCedar]
330-Trapper Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: MNCedar
I am a big fan of Formula one....on everything.

Wanted to try some pans for coon next year. I would think a pan would put the coon farther in the trap...but maybe not?

Definately like the results of a Belisle right behing a coon's ears.

That's what I thought you used... it does work on everything!

#2396272 - 01/23/11 06:54 PM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
Hunter50 Offline
trapper

Loc: Statesville.,NC
I use pans for coons,gets them right where you wa

nt it.

#2396403 - 01/23/11 07:27 PM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
haugboss Offline
trapper

Loc: Topeka KS
New guy question. What is the purpose for the window in the back of some of the boxes I am seeing?
thanks
Al

#2396419 - 01/23/11 07:30 PM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
MT Cat Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri 18 years old
will a 155 in a box work for coon?

#2396484 - 01/23/11 07:44 PM Re: Belisle Traps and Coon Box Pictures... [Re: 330-Trapper]
330-Trapper Offline
trapper

haugboss

The Hardware Cloth on the back. entices the Animal visually by allowing them to see in... and allows the Baits odor to escape ... The animal can see and smell and wants to go around the front to get to that good stuff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie