Trapper's Humor

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#232517 - 06/16/07 08:37 PM Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Donations Received as of 7/2/07, Thank You All
A.J.-A.J.
Andy S-Andy S
Ed S-Not a T-Man Member
Wayne C-coop
Jacob S-Don't know screen name
Willis R-Trapper Will
Daniel J-Mississippi Posse
Sammy P-Don't know screen name
Karrie-linderbean
James L-J.Lord
Donnie P-Don't know screen name
Trophyhunter
Don F-playin4funami
Nick C-Coon Hangman
Tony J-Don't know screen name
Jason S-Yodog
Richard N-Nelacres
sdavis0321

Total received to date: $490.00 plus a bunch of traps

Here you go! This is the final version and there will be NO more changes! Myself, A.J. CharlesKS, Coon Hangman, and Possum Skinner had a conference PM and decided that this would make it fairer for all contests. Being how some kids aren't good at writing, and we also wanted to give the younger children a chance to compete on an equal level. I apologize for the original confusion, and obviously if you are nine your entry isn't expected to be at the level of the thirteen year olds. That will be taken into consideration by the judges!

Rules
1. The ONLY rule is that your entry MUST be trapping related! Other than that, there are no rules. You can write a story, draw pictures, color pictures, tell trapping stories, submit photos of yourself trapping, talk about your favorite furbearers, talk about why you like trapping, whatever you feel you are good at. You can literally do anything that you can think of to do for your entry as long as it relates to trapping in some way shape or form. Let your imaginations run wild!

2. This is NOT a rule, but we would like for the winners to post what they spent their gift certifactes on just as an act of kindness for those who donated money!

Age Groups
1. 9-13
2. 14-16

Judges
1. CharlesKS
2. Coon Hangman
3. Possum Skinner

Contest End Date
July 14th 2007 @ 8:00 AM

Prizes, Three Winners in Each Age Class
We will adjust the prizes accordingly as more donations come in, this is the MINIMUM.
1. $100 MTP Gift Certficate
2. $75 MTP Gift Certficate
3. $50 MTP Gift Certficate

Please list your age with your entry so we know how old you are!

Kids Start Submitting Your Entries, we hope you enjoy this and it gives you a reason to look forward to the upcoming season. I will mail the gift certficates to you as soon as the judges pick the winners on the 14th.

Adults Please Keep All NEGATIVE Comments To Yourselves!

Thank You,
Andy S, A.J., CharlesKS, Coon Hangman, and Possum Skinner

Edited by Andy S (07/13/07 09:51 AM)

#232534 - 06/16/07 08:59 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: ]
crombie Offline
trapper

Loc: kentucky
I want to be the first to post! there we go

#232551 - 06/16/07 09:24 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: crombie]
crombie Offline
trapper

Why did I do that

#232970 - 06/17/07 02:46 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: crombie]
Anonymous
Unregistered

should we post them under this topic or send them to you?

#233028 - 06/17/07 04:13 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: ]
Bean Offline
trapper

Loc: BC, Canada
So for those of us that did the original essay on urbinazation, do we have to redo ours, or can we just keep the ones we already did? I don't mind redoing it, and no matter what, I appreciate the contest, but it would be nice to just keep what I already did. Thanks.

#233077 - 06/17/07 05:22 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: Bean]
Anonymous
Unregistered

You post your entries right here!

You can use the same one or redo it, but either way you have to retype it cause those are all deleted.

Sorry about that!

#233237 - 06/17/07 09:14 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: ]
Yodog Offline
trapper

Loc: Ut
I don't want to clutter up this thread, but thank you to all who are heading up this contest and to all who have donated.

#233350 - 06/17/07 11:03 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: Yodog]
coontrapper81 Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
Contest

For my entry I’m writing about how trapping helps people that most people don’t realize. First of all trapping helps farmers. A family of coon can completely wipe out a cornfield. Foxes, coyotes, and coon can all get into a farmer’s chickens and kill all of them. Skunks, opossums, and coon will all get into eggs of anything. Coyotes will eat baby calves. Without trapping maintaining the population of these animals a farmer’s job would be that much harder. Second, trapping helps fishermen and hunters. Without trapping or the permission to hunt coyotes you could pretty much forget about seeing deer, for most places anyway. Any furbearer other than the muskrat and the beaver will eat any baby animal. Without trapping your small game population would drop tremendously. Your turkey would be extinct, because if the babies even hatched before getting eaten they would get killed while there little and can’t fly. Mink love trout so the trapping of them really helps the fishermen. Also, muskrat and beaver can dam up streams and coves in lakes, which will take fishing area away from the fishermen. Next, trapping helps drivers. If there was no trapping there would be even more animals being hit on the road. The coon or whatever was hit could dent the car or hurt a part of the car (possibly hurt the driver), which would cause the driver to have to pay and get it fixed. Trapping also helps keep people in shape. Even if you only have 15 traps out your still probably going to be walking a pretty long way. Lastly, trapping helps kids. It gets them away from the tv. It gives them a challenge to work hard at to achieve. It teaches responsibility because you can't take a day off of checking, you have to be able to get up every morning 1 or 2 hours before school and check your traps. As you can see, trapping helps a lot more people than some think. There are so many people out there that think trapping and hunting is the cruelest thing to do, but they don’t think of the problems that would happen without them. I love trapping so much and I don’t know what I would do without it. The feeling I have when all of my hard work of scouting and where to place my trap pays off is something I can’t describe. I would love to start fox trapping next year so, if I win the gift certificate I will buy fox urine, new traps, and stretchers.

#233779 - 06/18/07 05:17 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: coontrapper81]
baker Offline
trapper

Loc: south central,Nebraska-20yrs
im in. Evan Blankenbaker, age-16, and i will submit my entry sometime before july 14th lol.

#234602 - 06/19/07 02:26 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: baker]
Bean Offline
trapper

Loc: BC, Canada
Hi. My name is Brett Nason and I am 16. I'm gonna write about how trapping tradition helps society and people.

When you look at the world around you, mostly in big cities, you see so much corruption, violence, probably many things you older folks would never have even thought of back in your day. In lots of places, you can't even walk around outside during the night, scared that you could be mugged or killed. This is what the newer generation, which unfortanutely is mine, is coming to. Fortunately, I see thing much different than a lot of other people my age think. I can't even imagine what it will be like when poeple that are my age now will be the people ruling government. Most people now that are younger have completely lost all old tradition, whether it be hunting, fishing, trapping or just out enjoying the great outdoors. Fortunately, there are a few that try their best to keep that tradition alive. The people with this tradition are generally better people, with reasoning and willing to earn what they get, not just have it all given to them, or steal it. People today complain about everything, but that old tradition helps people to just deal with it, instead of making issues of every little thing. That good ol' tradition also help people to respect nauture by really enjoying it and not destroying it. We do respect nature, by hunting and trapping, but the newer generation thinks that this is all cruel and disrespecting to nature, which is because these people obviously don't go back in the bush and see what the backwoods are really all about. I can see in a way why kids don't usually do any trapping, hunting or fishing, and that is because there are so many laws, at least here in Canada, that restrict way too much, by giving age restrictions, or the government could rip you off with a fishing license or something. Today, I have to pay $90 all together to get my freshwater and saltwater fishing licenses. Still, for the good of me, I stick to trapping, fishing and hunting. So lets try to keep that good ol' tradition and make a good name for it, to help others get the tradition back!

If I did win, I would buy traps and maybe a trapping pack. My first trapping season is coming up and I just took my trapping course, so I'm pretty excited about the upcoming season.

#234713 - 06/19/07 03:22 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: Bean]
SalinaKSCooner Offline
trapper

Loc: Salina Kansas
Does this have a length limit?

#234797 - 06/19/07 04:37 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: SalinaKSCooner]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: SalinaKSCooner
Does this have a length limit?

nope

#234887 - 06/19/07 06:37 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: ]
hunter2468 Offline
trapper

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Im lucas im 15 and i am writing about m first ever hunting expirience because i am new to trapping i have no trapping expirience!

I was 8 at the time and had never even heard of hunting. Me and my dad fished all the time but never had hunted. So when he suggested we go pheasant hunting i eagerly agreed! The next morning we awoke at 4am and drove to corvallis oregon to hunt. When we arrived we had no idea what we were doing. All we had was a 20 guage over under we borrowed from a friend. Sence i had never fired a gun and it had been years since my dad had fired one, we spent about an hour trying to load the shells into the gun. As we were walking in the field we heard a hunted yell!
"down getty"
"Crack!"
A pheasant dropped about twenty yards from were the hunter stood.
We made sure he saw us and went over to get some tips. He was nice and told us that you had to work very hard for the pheasants in this area because they were hunted alot. He said we should push the pheasant to a spot were they had no cover so they had to fly. He pointed at a fence and told us to work it. We walked over and walked next to it. The su was going down and we had to go soon. Just as we neared the end of the fence we heard a rustle. We both froze and looked at each other. I clicked of the saftey and walked forward. My heart was beating so fast and my fingures were tingling. All of a sudden a colorful streak blurrred my vision. I pointed the gun in the general direction of this blur and fired. The gun kicked very hard into my shoulderer and i almost fell backwards. My dad yelled!
"You got em"
I walked over and picked up my bird. Just then the wave of adreneline really hit me and i was pumped. Hooked for life!
-lucas

Dropped Him!

#237155 - 06/21/07 11:00 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: hunter2468]
Geezerman Offline
trapper

Loc: Allen County, Indiana
Hi, my name is William Heingartner, my dad is known as Geezerman on this site.

My dad introduced me to trapping when I was 8 years old. I rode with him checking traps and he showed me how to set some for raccoons and muskrats. I wanted to trap, so that spring I started to buy traps. I helped my dad with some jobs around the house and made enough money to buy 6 traps, heres a picture of my first trap, a Duke #1 coil spring.

I used that trap that summer to help a friend at the lake, Isaac, trap groundhogs out of his grandfathers apple orchard. I made my first catch, a skunk, but I picked the hole, anchored the trap and set the trap. I was very happy I caught something on my first set the first night even though it smelled kind of bad.

Later that summer I attended the ISTA Trappers Education course. It was very helpful and I got a lot of information, even a free trap.

My dad took me out setting traps that fall, I really enjoyed it as well as spending time with my dad. He's very helpful and doesn't get mad if I mess up making a set. He's showed my how to skin raccoons and muskrats and I've watched him skin coyotes but haven't tried to skin one myself yet, maybe this winter.

I just wanted to thank my dad for being my best friend and best dad, he's got me into the outdoors, not only trapping but fishing and hunting. We even joined a small bass club and fish once a month in tournaments. We go out to have fun, even if it means we don't catch any keepers , we catch a lot of laughs and good times.

I've also hunted for whitetails, rabbits, squirrels and wild turkey.

I am glad to be a trapper and hope to keep the tradition going when I have kids one day.

Thanks for reading,
William

#237231 - 06/22/07 02:13 AM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: Geezerman]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi. My name is Riley Johnson; I'm 16 years old and I will be writing about some of the benefits of trapping

“People who hunt, trap, and fish don’t mug little old ladies.” that FTA bumper sticker says it all. Trapping is fundamental, even in our modern, technologically advanced world. When are animal rights activists going to listen to reason? Trapping is a necessary American tradition to, control wildlife populations, reduce the spread of wildlife diseases, create income, outdoor recreation, and to harmlessly restrain a furbearer until a humane dispatch.

Opponents of trapping say that the intense pain caused by all kinds of traps cause the animal to break teeth and legs in its attempts to free itself. They also say that the less fortunate catches will languish for days or even weeks, subjected to thirst, hunger, exposure to extreme temperatures and attacks by predators. Many animal rights activists think that trapping is barbaric and only necessary during the Neanderthalic age.

Trapping is needed to; first and foremost, keep wildlife populations and diseases in check and under control. By lowering overall populations of say, coyotes, it gives the mange less hosts to infect and eventually kill. The mange is a very infectious disease that is transferred from an already infected animal to another animal through water in a puddle or feces. It is a parasite that gets under the skin and makes the animal itch so bad that it scratches off its fur in an attempt to end the itching. It scratches off its skin and flesh, leading to infection and eventually a slow, agonizing death. Nature is a cruel master as it takes care of its own.

The money generated by fur, a renewable resource, is substantial. Thanks to promotional efforts for more natural clothing and fashion the fur industry pumps up to 2 billion dollars into the economy, boosting its stability. Many a mountain man during the late 1700’s and early 1800’s lived only on the meat from his catches and the money made from selling the fur, which was mostly beaver, to buy other supplies for the rest of the year. For most trappers however, the money isn’t the reason they trap, but a perk from their hard earned fur.

Another benefit of trapping is outdoor recreation. One of the main reasons for that is their love for the earth and the creatures that reside there. There is nothing like knowing that you just outsmarted one of mythology’s most clever and sly creatures, the red fox. Trapping teaches respect and admiration for all of God’s animals. Most people who want to get rid of the art of trapping haven’t been beyond the pavement and smog to see the brutality; yet beauty of nature.

Like said previously, most animal rights activists think that trapping is; cruel, barbaric, inhumane…the list goes on and on, but that isn’t the truth. Modern traps, engineered with the animal in mind are the newest choice to trappers. Laminated jaws, offset jaws, in-line springs, and multiple swivels on the chain are some of animal stress reducing improvements on modern leg-holds. If you ask any trapper which one he/she would rather do, slam a finger in a door or set off a #2 fully modified leg-hold on his/her hand, it would be a hands down a trap on the finger.

Trapping is an American tradition that we should never do away with or diminish, so future generations can fully appreciate the beauty of nature and how mostt of this fine nation’s frontiers were discovered and pushed back. It is also needed to promote healthy and flourishing wildlife populations. “Any bad day of trapping beats any good day of work.” Anonymous

If I win this contest I will spend it on some 330's and more fox & coyote lure.

Edited by witrapper (06/25/07 09:30 PM)

#238775 - 06/23/07 09:34 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: ]
morrilltrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: georgia VT
How I became a Trapper
It was fall of 2006. I was at my best friend’s Kolby’s house, tagging along with him to check his trap line. Kolby, 14, has had his trapping license a little over two years now. I, only 14, still had to get my trapping license.
When we got to the swamp he was trapping in, he loaded all of his gear off the ATV and we started trudging through the swamp. Thank goodness for the waders, otherwise we would’ve been soaked. When we got to the first beaver set, the Duke #330 did it again. Floating from the first trap was about a 45 lb male beaver. So Kolby did what he had to do and said, “Look over there towards that clump of grass.”
Lying dead in the muddy water was another beaver. This one slightly smaller, but still a beautiful animal. I was so excited for him. Since I didn’t have a trapping license, I couldn’t help, but I could supervise. Later on that day when we were back at his trapping hut, he explained to me the step-by-step process to skinning, fleshing, and stretching the beaver. It was getting late now and I told him before I left that I was going to get my license this year one way or another.
The next couple of days went by slowly, and my only thoughts were on trapping and how I couldn’t wait to trap. Well, the next day my buddy Jordan came in and handed me a paper. I looked at it and it was information about when a Trapper Education Course is being held. When I got home that night, too excited to do anything, I called and signed up right away. I got in! The course was on the 13th of January and it was only the beginning of December. The month went by fast and sooner than I thought, the trapping class was finally here. The course was all day and my friend Cylas went with me. When it was time to take to the test, I was nervous, but I passed with a 96% and Cylas with a 98%. Now that I took the course I had to wait until the next weekend to get my actual state license at a sporting/gun show.
When the next weekend came, I was so excited. I paid my way into the show and practically ran to the Vt. Fish and Wildlife display. It took me all of 5 minutes to fill the paper work out and at that very moment the warden gave me my license. I finally got what I’d been hoping to get for two years. Since I didn’t have a car, I had to wait for my father to get finished looking at the gun displays, which took all day. In a way I didn’t mind though because I love hanging out with him. When we left it was dark out, so I figured my water trap line would have to wait until tomorrow.
About 9:00 am the next day the phone rang so I picked it up and it was my friend Kolby. He asked me if I wanted any help for the first day and if course I said yes.
Around 10:00 am we entered my new trapping grounds. There was about 3” of new snow and about 3-5” of ice covering the beaver ponds. Since I did a lot of scouting in the fall, - if iguring I was going to get my trapper's license in the winter- I knew exactly where I wanted the trap to be set. I wanted a trap right near this dead maple tree because I knew by feeling the mud that they were using this run daily. It was only about 2-3’ of water also. I started chopping through the ice while Kolby was chopping limbs to support the #330 conibear. About 10 minutes later I grabbed the #330 and started setting the beast. When I was ready, Kolby taught me the easiest way to put the trap down into the water, without putting my hands down in the black, shivering water. I released the safety latches that held the trap from firing while setting, and slowly let the trap fall between the stabilizers. I felt the trap hit the bottom of the beaver run and was so relieved that it went so smoothly. Since the two sticks used to hold the trap up were thick enough and strong, there were no further sticks used to stabilize the trap. When we were finished we loaded all of the gear back on to the ATV and drove home.
We walked back into the garage to take off the hip boots -in case we were to fall through- and the rest of the winter clothing and started talking about how much we love trapping and our plans for the upcoming trapping season. My mom walked in on us to tell Kolby his mother was here to pick him up. I thanked him for all of his help and he left.
Later on that night I thought about the trap and if I would have anything come morning, and fell asleep in a deep trapping thought.
Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep. The next morning was cold, but I was too excited to do anything but check the trap. I didn’t even stop to have breakfast. I warmed the ATV up and floored it the whole way to the beaver pond. When I got there I hopped off the ATV and looked over towards the trap location and saw an unusual hump in the ice, but didn’t think much of it. I started chopping the ice away, and when I got a hole the size of a football, I stuck a stick down into the water to check the trap. I moved the stick to the front of the trap first. Nothing. I then moved the stick to the back of the trap and felt the stick bounce off the one animal I’ve been waiting to catch for the past two years. IT WAS MY FIRST BEAVER! I threw the stick up onto the ice and finished chopping the hole big enough to take the trap and beaver out. When I finally had a hole big enough, the back end of the beaver floated up. I grabbed the trap and up came the beautiful animal. It was an awesome beaver, about 50lbs. Wow! I set the trap back up and carefully lobbed the beaver on to the back rack of the ATV and hurriedly left.
When I got back to the garage I left the beaver on my bench till I got home from school to do all the rest of the work required to skin, flesh, and stretch the beaver pelt. It was the happiest day of my life yet.
Through this experience I learned that to do all of these wonderful experiences, I have to be very patient, eager to learn, but more importantly, I have to have a great mentor.
Although we trap these furbearers for their pelts, we as trappers are doing more good than bad, assuming were trapping responsibly, ethically, and humanely.
Trapper for Life, Your friend,
Robert Morrill

i'm 14.
i really think trapping is just part of who we are and if it was to go away or banned our roots in history would also be gone. if i was to win i would buy traps because i only have a couple of beaver traps and trapping is one of passions and i don't mind spending money on it. thanks for your time

Edited by morrilltrapper (07/02/07 08:45 PM)

beaver-
muskrat-
raccoon-
otter-
mink-
mice-
myself-

#239146 - 06/24/07 10:18 AM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: morrilltrapper]
bearclaw Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
Well you said no length limit \:\) . (Actually, sorry it's so long, I didn't really mean it to be that way but I just kept writing and writing, sorry). (I'm 13)

“Today’s the day” I thought, “I’m going to start a real trapline!”. Let me explain the situation. There’s a kid in my class, Brian that has trapped a couple years or so. He mainly land traps and he hauled in a fair amount of bobcats and coyotes this past season. He does have a mentor who has trapped for quite some time. Now after seeing pictures of his catches and hearing him talk trapping, (which nobody else in class had any clue what he was talking about) I decided I wanted to do that. Since we have been good friends since we’ve known each other, I asked him if he would help me get into trapping. He said yes. (This was all happening around early-mid Feb.)

We have a creek behind our place so I decided to water trap. Before long I had my license and Brian is over at my place getting ready to show me the basics of trapping. So we head down on foot to the creek, which is about a 5 minute walk. Since he just wanted to show me the basics such as baiting, location, etc., we didn’t set many traps that day, only a couple Victor longspring baited sets and some 110 blind and den covering sets. Now those traps caught me my first critter ever, a possum, and my first muskrat later came in a 110 blind set. Now I hope I never forget that, but that’s not what I’m talking about at the start of my post, which is what I’ll get to now.

So while checking those traps every day after school, I noticed coon sign and a bunch of beaver sign, like chewed and debarked sticks, beaver-cut trees, and bottoms of trees where beavers had chewed. I got to thinking that since coon and beaver are here, why don’t I give it a shot at them? The next day at school I told Brian about it and he agreed. He said call him Sunday and he’ll come out and show me some sets for them. By this time I already had some beaver lure and had already bought and set ½ dozen 110’s by myself on the creek.

So…now to my story. (Re-read first sentence of story.) After lunch he came over with a big bag/packbasket full of traps, wire, lure/bait, etc., a five gal. bucket of dry dirt, a small shovel, and an old pump .22 (he wanted to bring his). By this time of the year there was a fair amount of snow on the ground and most of the creek was iced up pretty good, so he was all layered up with lots of clothes and hip waders, and it looked like it was hard for him to move. Now since I had only started trapping, and I didn’t go fishing a whole lot, I had to wear these neoprene waders from about 3 years ago that were about 4 sizes too small. If you’ve ever tried to fit in neoprene waders that are way too small, you know you aren’t going to get able to fit many clothes on underneath. About underwear, long john’s, and some socks is about all you’re going to get, so all you can do is hope the waders themselves will keep you warm (which these didn’t do too well). I took a good 5 minutes to get into these things. So Brian looked like the Michelin tire guy and I looked like a ballerina wearing tights. Great, we’re ready to go.

Usually walking to the creek is a nice, pleasant walk. That changes when you add ice and snow, 50 lbs. of equipment, 15 degrees, really tight waders, and on top of that an iced over, steep bank to get down. Well we eventually made it down and Brian spots a suitable place to make a coon pocket set.

We got over there, got out the shovel, and he starts showing me how to make a pocket set. Not too far in I feel somethings wrong. I ignore it and continue to listen. Then all of a sudden it hit me. I forgot to lock the dog up before we left and she is down here messing around. Dang! Now you’ve got to understand this dog won’t stay out of sets. No matter what you try, or what I try anyway. You just can’t really have her on the trapline. I explained this to Brian and we were really left with no choice but to take her back to the house. I suggested I take her back while he finishes the set.

So not 10 minutes later after getting to the creek I was headed back home. Now getting back up the bank is one thing, but getting this darned dog to follow you is another. Finally getting up there I locked her up in the garage. Then I thought “well since I’m here I mina as well warm up for a minute”. So I emptied the little pocket I had in my waders and went inside. Not too long later I made it back down to the creek and Brian was just finishing up and getting ready to put a trap in. So he pulls out a trap and a roll of 16 ga. Wire to wire the trap to a drag (which was a big long log). He gets the length he wants and asks for the wire cutters. Now before we started out he said he didn’t have any, so I grabbed a pair of ours. I reach for my pocket and nothing is there. Great I left them on the counter in the garage. “Well I’m not going to back to get them” I said. “Neither am I” Brain said.

So being the problem solver he is, Brian suggested that we just bend the wire until it breaks. Sounded good to me. So there we are bending wire back and forth until it breaks. It actually worked faster then I thought. So we set the trap, wired it, and were ready to move on.

Now understand that part of my trapline was on this stretch of the creek about 30 yards long or so, and you had to bug the bank if you were walking in the water. The bank was pretty much vertical, and in most places was about 8 or so feet tall to the top of the water, and about another 3 feet deep in water. Well there were quite a few holes in the stretch that I thought to be muskrat holes, so I thought I couldn’t pass it up so I set some 110’s over some of them and that became part of my trapline.

Anyway, since it had been somewhat snowy that past couple weeks, that stretch was frozen. But it was the frozen that you couldn’t walk on or it would break, but you also couldn’t easily break it with your hand or a club as you walked (especially when you were carrying a gun in one hand). So what you had to do was just kind of part-step up on the ice in front of you with one foot and it’d easily break, usually in a big chunk so you could walk a ways before you had to do it again. I decided this wasn’t that big of a deal so I did it almost every day running the line.

I explained how to do it to Brian, so we went on and attempted it. Well let me just say that the night before must have been a little colder than the previous nights, because that ice sure wasn’t breaking like it had for me before. This ice was sort of cracked when you stepped on it, but usually broke when you got on it with 2 feet. As you can probably guess, we for some weird reason decided to go ahead and go this way, instead of just turning around a short little way and walking up on the bank and going that way.

All I will say is that we probably looked like little rabbits jumping up and down you an observer. We’d climb up on the ice and about a second or so later the ice would break and we’d plop back down. Then walk a little bit, get back up on it, drop back down and so on. I can say that it probably took us 30 minutes to go that little 30 yard stretch, but if we would’ve just went up on the bank, it would’ve taken us 2 minutes. By the time we were done with that we were dog tired and starting to get pretty dang cold, and it was also starting to get dark.

So we made it out of there and we kind of rest for a while, which just made us colder. After that Brian looks around for a while. Now he’s never trapped beaver before but he had an idea. So we found a nearby stump that had been recently chewed down by a beaver. He pulled out 2 Montana #3 baseplated, laminated, 4 coiled traps (biggest he had then I think). Then he said we were going to find a big tree log, place it about the width of the Montana trap away form the stump, take some little sticks, strip them of their bark, and tie them to the stump, put two traps between the log and the stump, and put lure on the sticks/stump. The beaver would smell the lure, walk between the stump and log and get caught.

Well we got it all set up, which included about 5 minutes of bending wire as fast as we could with numb hands. We got the trap all wired up securely and it was now really starting to get dark, so we decide to head home.

Since the ice was already broke in that stretch, we decided to go through the water again. Easy this time, no problem. After we passed that we came by a hollow log that appeared to house a furbearer. He had a 160 so we put that in front of it. Now this time the wire wouldn’t break and if we waited too much longer then we’d be walking home in pitch dark. So instead Brian wired it and left the whole entire roll of wire there, which he later said I could have.

We finally got back, as numb and stiff as a bone, went inside up to my room and talked about the Kansas Furharvester test as we thawed out. My dad later took him home.

Well the beaver and the 160 set never produced, but I caught my first ever coon the pocket set he made. I was really happy. And let me tell you that that coon gained 5 lbs about every 10 seconds I carried it up the bank and back home. I later took it to Brian’s house where he showed me how to skin and flesh it. The coon wasn’t worth much because I accidentally shot it through the side/back where it left two holes in the prime parts, but that doesn’t matter to me.

So there’s my story. Brian’s father passed away from lung cancer that December. This next season I hope to trap some coyotes and maybe even a bobcat.

Trapping is ethical and important in the ecosystem. If I win I would spend it on some coyote trapping videos to help me get started in coyote trapping, as well as a couple coyote lures and urine, etc.

Again, sorry it was so long. I tried to write in it a way to keep you interested. Thank you to everyone who made this contest possible.

#241509 - 06/26/07 04:20 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: bearclaw]
crombie Offline
trapper

(I'm 11)

Mink-Mustela Vison
Order-carnivora
Family-Mustelidae

Most shades of mink are chocolate to almost black with a white patch of fur under the chin. males have a territory of about 20 miles. mink kill a variety of food species including fish, muskrat, crawfish, frogs, rabbits, and many more speceis. muskrats seem to be thier prefered food, because they are preyed with regarlitty. Mink are preyed upon by owls, fox coyotes bobcats and dogs. atractors are fresh fish, fresh Muskrat meat, fresh rabbit, and comercial lures.Good traps are 110 conibears,#1,#1 1/2 in all most foothold traps.110's are the most popular.wild mink pelts make up about 10% of the mink fur trade, 90% is from ranched furs.
other facts:
mink are related to weasels
mink can climb trees
mink have musk wich is also harvested

Edited by mink2 (06/26/07 07:05 PM)
Edit Reason: age

#241511 - 06/26/07 04:23 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: crombie]
crombie Offline
trapper

I would like to purchase several footholds and conibears and a packbasket also lures. thankyou for setting up this contest.I hope I win.

Edited by mink2 (07/05/07 08:40 PM)

#241524 - 06/26/07 04:34 PM Re: Kids Contest: Rules/Judges/Etc: (Updated Version) [Re: bearclaw]
cooner girl Offline
trapper

Loc: Saline county Mo.
Hi I am 10 years old. I caught my first coon in a live set trap. My bait was a banana peel. When I was on the porch I was so excited when I saw the door was down. I went down to the garden were my trap was. When I was down there I saw the raccoon. I went up to my house to tell my dad I caught a raccoon. After that my dad and me went down to the garden to take some pictures. My dad let the raccoon go after that Because it was a heathy female. He let it go because it could be helpful in the trapping season. Why I trap-I trap to make money to get more traps so I can make more money to get food because we do not have a lot of money to buy a lot of food. People that helped me to get this coon-My dad,my brother,my mom,and my self mostly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Drifter