Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#219707 - 06/03/07 05:22 PM Snare Supports
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming
Here is a great way to make cheap snare supports. Take a piece of black #9 wire and tie the end off and stick the other end in a cordless drill and pull as you run the drill. It will make the wire straight. Then cut a piece 32in. and bend 6in from the top and bend an inch back from the end and then come up 10in from the bottom and bend it then back down. These really work great as you can push them in or hammer them in and they don't move.

#219712 - 06/03/07 05:27 PM Re: Snare Supports [Re: huntinglonewolf]
beaver man Offline
trapper

Thanks for sharing the great idea, I will have to give it a try this season.

#219725 - 06/03/07 05:41 PM Re: Snare Supports [Re: beaver man]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm curios about the little back bend at the wammy, why not just leave it straight and stick it into the other side of the wammy?

Other than that I used supports just like those for years before I went to pigtailed stakes.

~ADC~

#219731 - 06/03/07 05:49 PM Re: Snare Supports [Re: ]
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper

The bend holds the wammy on better as it don't come lose and slide down.

#220042 - 06/03/07 10:01 PM Re: Snare Supports [Re: huntinglonewolf]
LT GREY Online   happy
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Well, he did say make a cheap, snare support! \:\)

#220113 - 06/04/07 12:32 AM Re: Snare Supports [Re: LT GREY]
Terry Offline
trapper

Loc: White Sulphur Springs, MT
You better grt it stuck in the ground before freeze up.

#220185 - 06/04/07 07:17 AM Re: Snare Supports [Re: TexA 68 & going]
Dead Coyote Offline
trapper

Loc: Slaughter Slough, MN
When the ground freezes, get some used rail road spikes and wrap the #9 wire around them and hammer them in. They won't move a bit.

#220187 - 06/04/07 07:21 AM Re: Snare Supports [Re: Dead Coyote]
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper

Now that's a great idea. Thanks

#220257 - 06/04/07 08:41 AM Re: Snare Supports [Re: huntinglonewolf]
CajunBill Offline
trapper

Loc: Sylacauga Ala
when i use the pogo stakes i use a 12 inche spike...looks like a 12 inche nail .i just add a washer to it...i get almost 200 in a box for $18.00..works good here

#220344 - 06/04/07 10:50 AM Re: Snare Supports [Re: CajunBill]
45/70 Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
I sometimes use a double U bent into my support wire as shown.
Other times, I'll simply set my support wire with a single U. When it is where I want it, I'll break off a dead limb, and drive it tight into the hole for 5-6". This prevents most rotation. If you find a really good stob, and leave it somewhat long, you can use it to help narrow your pass-thru, and maybe disguise the support wire a little touch.
If I cannot push the support wire deep enough to suit me, I'll drive it. I made my driver out of an inexpensive fire poker. It's about 24" long, with one end swelling into a handle. The body of the poker is Ĺ" in diameter. I cut off the pointed end, and ground about a Ĺ" notch into that end. Finally, I ground a bevel around the notched point with a grinder, so it pushes into the ground easier. I have almost never had to actually drive this rod. I lock the support wire into the notch, and simply lean on the handle. The tool is one piece, with a hole bored thru the handle, so that the tool may be securred with a thong of some sort.
Adios,
45/70,

#221497 - 06/05/07 04:25 PM Re: Snare Supports [Re: 45/70]
amtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Hardin , Montana
What I like to use when a tree , sage brush , or a fence isn't handy is a 2' section of 1/4" round stock with 2' of # 10 wire welded to it and the bottom flatened out . I can set them anytime and pull them out with easy when I'l done snaring in a area . Yes some coyotes will pull them out and may bend them when caught , However it takes just a few seconds to straighten them back out again .
Best Wishes , amtrapper

Moderator:  tmrschessie