Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2047490 - 07/01/10 09:15 PM Re: double lonspring trap modification [Re: ForrestŪ]
Joel Offline
trapper

Loc: nevada
Good post.

I think bending the "tip" of the dog up is better than cutting the groove in it though.

Accomplishes the same thing and doesn't get full of wax or rust out over time. Or flat break off if you file too deep.

Takes 2 seconds.

Another thing about using too big of a pan for exposed sets is that you'll lose some because the pan is too close to the jaws. I like a 3.5 inch round pan. They kind of have to have their foot inside the jaws before they set it off.

Been thousands of cats caught in stock pans so enlarging them is more for us than them.

The most important thing with and exposed pan is absolutely no wobble, they test them just like you do when walking through a rockslide.

PIT pan is my preferred setup for exposed traps. A pan for a 5 Bridger LS on a 3n works very well.

Edited by Joel (07/01/10 09:21 PM)

#2050433 - 07/05/10 01:50 AM Re: double lonspring trap modification [Re: Joel]
willvalley Offline
trapper

Loc: SWEET HOME OREGON
Not to change the idea of the post as it is a very good one but one CAN set a no3, now a trap with a jaw spread larger then six inchs, or larger in Oregon without an offset.
The rule is it has to have the offset if the set is not capable of drowning the trapped animal.

On the wobble in the pinch pan the wire trick I have tried and do not care for it. I am a bit cheap so Pit Pans are a last resort though they are a good deal. I put the shank in a hand jack operated hydrualic press and slowly compress the hole for the pan. I move the pan back and forth so I can feel when it is getting snug. This with the night latching makes the pan rock solid. I want them to have heavey pan tension so the critters commit their weight before it trips and smaller nontarget critters do not trip them.

I will get a saw and try it. The files work but are a bit hard to manage at the end of the dog.

#2141737 - 09/10/10 09:46 PM Re: double lonspring trap modification video added [Re: ]
jayirvin
Unregistered

Just got in from another afternoon out in my shop modifying some longsprings. Ive been replacing some jaws on my old victors #3 regulation jaw traps with some new #3 sleepy creek offset. I'm quite pleased how they go on even the Black & Lamb trap I tryed.

I got a Bridger Longspring trap setter and it really makes wiring the jaws closed easier. It compresses the spring then has a clip that holds it closed leaving both hands free to wire the spring.

The sleepy creek jaws have a ridge on the inside top that I have to grind off to laminate them. I got the MB lamination kits for the #3 coils and I shape them for the #3 offset longs. It takes a lot of time and its sure not for everybody but I LUB it.

All the traps get center swivel lo-caters with 3 links of chain and a swivel and 3 links and cold shunt or wolf swivel with one rivet removed.

I just received 3 #3 longsprings in the mail i purchased on the trap shed and I had to start modifie-n them right away. well they had a hole and a rivet in the frame to center locate the chain. I took that out put in a bolt cut it off hammered it down kinda like a rivet and spot welded it. I have sterling clamp on center lo-caters and swivels so that's whats going on them.

#2142252 - 09/11/10 12:56 PM double lonspring trap modification offset jaw mod [Re: ]
jayirvin
Unregistered

7 re-worked double longspring foothold traps

I don't know what they call this way of connecting the cross but its the old way

the bridger #5 longspring trap setter holding the springs to be wired

the cast jaws come out easy, way to easy

you want the jaws to pop in with some spring action. If they miss the hole tap them with a small hammer

the sleepy creek jaws are wide so i use my setting tool to get them closer and try not to over do it.

I get the clamps started by squeezing both clips with the channel locks. I have done the whole thing with the channel locks.

then I work with the vice grips

Edited by jayirvin (10/05/10 11:53 AM)
Edit Reason: change image location

#2142255 - 09/11/10 01:04 PM Re: double lonspring trap modification offset jaw mod [Re: ]
jayirvin
Unregistered

#2142261 - 09/11/10 01:15 PM Re: double lonspring trap modification offset jaw mod [Re: ]
jayirvin
Unregistered

I have to admit I'm kind of a nut case. I'll never set all these longspring ive gone to all the trouble to customize. I just get pleasure out of working on them. there set up the way I want them. Where will they go when i die? Godonly knows I dont.

#2142314 - 09/11/10 02:41 PM Re: double lonspring trap modification offset jaw mod [Re: ]
kansaskoons Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
Good thread, I am going to use some longsprings this year that a friend of mine modified for me.

#2142382 - 09/11/10 04:01 PM Re: double lonspring trap modification offset jaw mod [Re: ]
scott rainbolt Offline
trapper

Loc: morristown tn.
good post jayirvin i dont care much for long springs myself but i realy liked that post good job and keep it up

#2142451 - 09/11/10 05:19 PM Re: double lonspring trap modification offset jaw mod [Re: ]
yoteguts Offline
trapper

Loc: central Illinois
Jayirvin I like the idea of putting sleepy creek jaws in other makes of dbl's.Been playing with my sleepy creek double longsprings also.Great trap. This is a #4 offset.

Coyote proof the dog.

More trappin' and less yappin'.

Member FTA & USSA.

#2142571 - 09/11/10 07:14 PM Re: double lonspring trap modification offset jaw mod [Re: yoteguts]
jayirvin
Unregistered

Those Sleepy Creek #4's are beauties. the #3 Sleepy jaws have a ridge right where ya want to put the lam...
I cant tell if the 4's do or not they look flat, R they?

You weld allot better than I do. I strike an ark and my hands shake so bad from age i cant run a straight bead. Like they say, Do it while yer young.

Jay I Hadley, The longspring guy.

#2143143 - 09/12/10 07:58 AM Re: double lonspring trap modification offset jaw mod [Re: ]
jayirvin
Unregistered

Ive read threads where people discuss the need to modify traps and some say there is no need for jaw lamination.

The lamination is not just for wider jaw surface.
It locks the jaws into the frame and keeps them from popping out.
I do not see a need to bubble tip the ends of the jaws or anything with a good strong lam... welded on.

Some research the government trapping program carried out in the 80's showed too much leg damage on coyote with the #4 longspring being to heavy. they may have used newhouse regular jaws i dont recall. i was told about it one time.

#2143650 - 09/12/10 04:01 PM Re: double lonspring trap modification offset jaw mod [Re: ]
poleset Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
jayirvin i was just looking at those style baseplate kits today. do you tack weld them or are they strong enough without it? thinking of getting some sleepy creek #2 longsprings for coyote and fox but would like them baseplated. -jesse

#2144433 - 09/13/10 09:15 AM Re: double lonspring trap modification offset jaw mod [Re: ]
jayirvin
Unregistered

the i inch have a pulling rate of 1000 lbs. i've never welded them the coyotes pull is distributed across the whole plate and with the swivel it's not getting any leverage to pry on anything.

Ive also been known to rob one from a trap for another trap. (-;

#2148935 - 09/16/10 11:54 AM Re: double lonspring trap modification offset jaw mod [Re: yoteguts]
jayirvin
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: yoteguts
Jayirvin I like the idea of putting sleepy creek jaws in other makes of dbl's.Been playing with my sleepy creek double longsprings also.Great trap. This is a #4 offset.

Coyote proof the dog.

I really like the looks of that PIT-07 large pan. I ordered a few to try on #4 and 41/2 dbls traps. Ive been using PIT-01.

#2156132 - 09/21/10 10:16 PM Re: dbl lonspring modification video + image, discuss [Re: ]
jayirvin
Unregistered

I decieded today to replace the jaws on this old Victor with some offset sleepy creek jaws and center chain locator. Its one of my favorite traps, very old, the cross hump is pinched into the dog. The pan says in larger letters than most Victor and in small letters Onieda Community Canada. I have another newer Onieda Community Canada #3 DBLS that was like new when i bought it. I do believe the Onieda Community Canada made Victors are stronger there US counter parts. I believe they took pride in there workmanship.

I take pride in my ownership of these fine old traps
watch the video tutorial of the modification.

#2156202 - 09/21/10 11:12 PM Re: dbl lonspring modification video + image, discuss [Re: ]
wingnut Offline
trapper

Loc: Washington state
Beautiful work.
2 otter
1 mink
2 raccoon

#2156749 - 09/22/10 12:07 PM Re: dbl lonspring modification video + image, discuss [Re: ]
jayirvin
Unregistered

I took video of the jaw removal and install on the Canadian #3 victor silverlight video tutorial

#2175046 - 10/05/10 12:16 PM Re: dbl lonspring modification video + image, discuss [Re: ]
Hunter50 Offline
trapper

Loc: Statesville.,NC
Awesome post Jay. I had a few of the original victor #3 off sets and loved them. Thanks to your thread and help ALL of my #3 dls are being offset with sleepy creek jaws. I also put on pit pans and pit center locators.

#2175706 - 10/05/10 07:33 PM Re: dbl lonspring modification video + image, discuss [Re: Hunter50]
jayirvin
Unregistered

I read your PM you got through 6 DLS's in no time. It makes my day to hear that you were motivated by my the idea I shared on installing sleepy creek jaws.
I have the tutorial on my website >>

#2176238 - 10/06/10 05:33 AM Re: dbl lonspring modification video + image, discuss [Re: ]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
Jay your site is great...thanks for keeping it up there. Tom

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie