Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2661890 - 07/27/11 03:15 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
JBR Offline
trapper

Loc: West Central GA
I hope this thread goes into archives.

JBR
"Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom." Song of Solomon 2:15

#2664571 - 07/29/11 02:54 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
JBR Offline
trapper

90+ degrees here in the SHADE today.

how long does it take ya'lls dirt to dry enough to put wax on it?

JBR
"Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom." Song of Solomon 2:15

#2665607 - 07/30/11 02:00 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
beaglerunner Offline
trapper

Loc: Vermont
It usually only takes me a day depending on how the wind is blowing and how hot it is. Just make sure it is bone dry before you start adding wax.

#2665732 - 07/30/11 04:32 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
JBR Offline
trapper

All right waxed dirt pro's.... here's the dilemna. I had some that had been mixed with wax for about an hour, and the wax had ALMOST gotten all mixed in and a rain storm blew up. I had trash bags over the pans, so very little water got in the dirt. Now it is VERY humid and the temp has dropped, and it's 530 so it ain't getting any warmer.

should I just put up what I have and hope for the best or put it back out tomorrow?

Then pan with the least dirt in it got a little rain in it.
Pic added to judge.

Edited by JBR (07/30/11 04:36 PM)

#2665756 - 07/30/11 04:50 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"

Loc: Central Pa. 54
If the wax dirt didn't finish before the temps dropped. Cover it and let it set till tomorrow. When it heats up tomorrow, finish it up. No biggie!

I do mine similar to you fellas except, I have plexiglass that I lay on top of the containers to create an Oven type effect. The extreme heat drys the dirt fast and the radiant heat through the glass melts the wax quick. Also, a pop-up thunder shower doesn't cause me any adverse issues.

Edited by bic (07/30/11 04:55 PM)

#2665762 - 07/30/11 04:54 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
JBR Offline
trapper

10-4

Tried to finish it with a chicken brooder light but I can't get it to stay still--melted part of one of my pans, which you can see in the pic... mad

JBR

#2666285 - 07/31/11 02:19 AM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Don't worry....it sometimes happens. Just wait out the rain and for a really HOT day...spread it really thin and dry it back out and then add more wax. All is NOT LOST !

#2666931 - 07/31/11 05:10 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
JBR Offline
trapper

Well, GA red clay ain't the best stuff to make waxed dirt out of I can tell you that. Not like I have a choice around here, though. It mixed in decent but some little clumps of wax were in there where the wax absorbed the dirt instead of vice versa. and yes it was bone dry. It has been 100+ in the SHADE here all week. The back deck I was making it on was so hot the dirt had heat waves coming off of it when it was drying. I held some of it in my hand and it was so hot I had to throw it down.

I had 10 gallons of red clay to start with and ended up with about 6 gallons waxed.

I looked far and wide to find some non red dirt to make it from tomorrow.

JBR

#2667131 - 07/31/11 07:42 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: JBR]
HD56PAN Offline
trapper

Loc: Western NY
Just finished mine,got about 25 gallons done.Putting 15 gallons in 5 gallon pails,the other 10 I,m going to mix with peat moss.

You know your getting old,when you make more noise then your cereal in the morning.

#2667135 - 07/31/11 07:47 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: HD56PAN]
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"

Loc: Central Pa. 54
Originally Posted By: HD56PAN
Just finished mine,got about 25 gallons done.Putting 15 gallons in 5 gallon pails,the other 10 I,m going to mix with peat moss.

I like mixing it 50/50 with peat. Seems to work about the same but doubles the volume of my waxed dirt.

#2671614 - 08/04/11 12:09 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
Dawgcatcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Rochester MN-ish
I mix my dirt with peat 1-for-1 ratio and i noticed that when i put 2-5 gallon containers out to melt wax into,when it was done and i scooped it up i only had 1.5 buckets worth of dirt/peat/wax mix.. does this "shrinkage" normally happen to you guys ? Im thinking i didnt dry-out my dirt well enough before i mixed with peat.. ??

#3102643 - 04/02/12 02:21 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
Young Pup Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Lt Question? I use a turkey fryer system. I put a layer of dry dirt, layer of flake wax, layer of dry dirt. I constantly stir the dirt/wax mixture. I make it pretty fast this way. I notice you and others use the sun. Is ther a reason for making wax dirt this way. This past season I went through 75 gallons, but used a lot of peat. This year I'll do more wax dirt. Thanks

#3102673 - 04/02/12 02:42 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
garman Offline
trapper

Loc: minnesota
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Anyone use waxed dirt with peat moss this winter ?

Bottom of the trap bed I put peat as well as a covering around and light covering over, then I use waxed dirt. This saves alot of waxed dirt useage. If a person uses good very very dry peat moss they save alot of waxed dirt which equals alot of money.

#3102701 - 04/02/12 03:16 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: garman]
mauser06 Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Pennsylvania
I too am curious if anyone used waxex dirt and peat mixed this past season in PA, ohio, ny etc where it rained, thawed, snowed, and froze on a weekly cycle...

I just dont have the time to make large quantities of waxed dirt....i also dont need a ton...but if i can mix peat in to make it go farther that would help me big time....now that the fields are plowed i can skim some nice dirt off the top and dry/wax the dirt in a pot...

#3105206 - 04/03/12 11:05 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
dirtchipper Offline
trapper

Loc: Jackson County, Wisconsin
For those of us with a topper or tonneau cover on your truck, couldn't you just dry and wax your dirt there? It's hotter than the dickens under them things!

#3106842 - 04/04/12 11:19 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
backriverguy Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Who was the first trapper that came up with the wax dirt ?

#3108932 - 04/06/12 09:06 AM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
That's a good question !

I heated dirt back in the late seventies...but I want to say it was used back in the thirties or forties.

#3209936 - 07/02/12 07:34 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
Trappers great week to make waxed dirt in this heat ! laugh

Make sure you have enough for the season ,it will cool down before we know it ,I hope ! cool

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#3210200 - 07/02/12 09:49 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
Critterslayer51 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central PA
does anyone just use plain peat moss for bedding and coverings here in pa, ohio, ny area? seems like a lot of extra work, and wax aint exactly cheap with a limited budget if you want a lot of it. Seems the peat keeps dry, its lighter to carry, and for the amount you use it seems cheaper in the long run. I'd still like to make some dry waxed dirt, but I was just wondering if anyone used peat ONLY?

#3210229 - 07/02/12 10:04 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
Paul Dobbins Online   content
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
I would like to put this post in the archives, but I will only do it if y'all who have photobucket pics, edit your posts removing the photobucket pics and replace them with the pics straight from your puter.

The photobucket pics tend to go away over time...

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie