Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1932552 - 04/03/10 02:02 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Make sure it's bone dry...

#1937624 - 04/06/10 10:30 AM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
newbie1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Mauston, WI
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Make sure it's bone dry...

could you elaborate on that for me? The dirt needs to be bone dry and heated before the wax is added? I also assume one needs to glean and sift the dirt before heating and waxing?

.....hope is a moment now long past....

#1937709 - 04/06/10 11:47 AM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: newbie1]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yes, I bake mine in the sun!

#1937710 - 04/06/10 11:48 AM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yes, pre-sift it. Always better to do it that way!
You will get some clumps, just break those up!

#1937732 - 04/06/10 12:02 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
Bristleback Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
LtG and I agree, be sure to sift your dry dirt before......all the weeds, stems, bits of bean stubble, hay chaff......etc just gobbles up your wax.

I collect my dirt in the HOT dog days of July/Aug........go to the edges of corn/bean fields and take a sand shovel and drag back the top 1"+ of top soil....this is loose, powdry dry/dusty, pull into piles, sift on the spot, put in 5 gal buckets and take home......store it in 55 gal drums, lid on loose so it can breathe and not mold.

#1938203 - 04/06/10 04:59 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
JBR Offline
trapper

Loc: West Central GA
GREAT!

I needed this this last winter. It never gets below freezing 24/7 here more than maybe two days. This winter it was like that for 2 weeks or more. RIght when I was able to trap and I didn't have any.

Will next year!

JBR
"Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom." Song of Solomon 2:15

#1938978 - 04/06/10 11:36 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: JBR]
Bristleback Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Via PM, I've been asked several times to explain how I make waxed dirt/sand. So, this evening I sent gentleman a long email on the process and thought I'd cut/paste it here in hopes of helping others.

*Need bone dry dirt, sifted.

*I use a metal drum cement mixer…..plastic drum not a good idea.

*I use a jet burner, which is much hotter than a turkey fryer burner. Turkey fryers run 33,000-54,000 BTU, while a jet burner will run 105,000 BTU Link: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0031808516768a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=jet+burner&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

*Turn on cement mixer.

*Dump in 5 gal of dry dirt/sand or mixture.

*Turn on heat……..I direct heat mid way on the drum, between the mouth and the gears/sprocket. I have my jet burner tipped so the flame is pointed at approx 60degrees towards the drum, not vertical.

*I like to let the dirt get very warm to the touch………..like…dang that's hot! Keep your sniffer alert……you don't want to smell that burnt/scorched smell……that's toooooo hot.

*My soil……I add in 8 cups of flake/granular wax……I just pour it in amongst the dirt while the drum is turning.

*5-6-7 minutes I'll reach in and grab a handful of dirt to see if it appears "damp"…..it will be a noticeably darker color. I've found all the dust should be "settled" in the drum……if it's still dusty……I add a little more wax, maybe another cup. Soil content will vary a bit on the amount of wax you'll need, this isn't an exact science. Sand takes even less wax.

*Once the batch is done.

*Slide the heat out of the way, safely.

*Turn off the mixer.

*Dump finished batch in a 5 gal bucket, slide it out of the way.

*Turn mixer back on.

*Dump in another 5 gal of dry dirt.

*Put heat back in place.

*Dump your finished batch of WD/WS onto a tarp……….spread it out.

***Now you have a few minutes……..depending on where you make this, I like to have a fan blowing across the finished WD. Take your garden rake, not a leaf rake……..and rake the finished WD back and forth………THIS WILL SPEED up the cooling process.

*Back to making WD…Once dry dirt(new batch of dry dirt) is warm add in wax.

*Just keep repeating the above process until you've made what you want. Once I get things started, warmed up, rolling, I can make a 5 gal batch in approx ~8 minutes.

*Couple ways to test you finished WD, put some in a cup, pour a little water over it…….it should bead up. You can also put this cup in the freezer, water will freeze……..WD should be nice and workable.

*I highly suggest you DO NOT store you WD until it's stone cold………cool……..otherwise you can end up with a solid, near solid block of WD………been there done that……….you can break this apart, usually easily……but if you store it cool it shouldn't clump too bad.

*I do not store it in air tight containers………..been there done that………..MOLD, I leave the lids on loose, let it breathe, whether I store it in 5 gal or 55 gal containers. 55s are nice, but heavy, ESPECIALLY SAND!!!

*I don't have pictures, I'll be sure to take some this summer/fall.

*Another thing I'm going to try this fall is getting the conversion of 8-10 cups of flake/granular wax to melted wax…..I'm going to try and simply add melted wax to my hot dry dirt and see how that mixes. Hopefully that will fix the issue of buying flaked/granular wax, storing, shipping…….time will tell.

*YES, it's work, but I sleep very well using WD/WS……knowing my sets will be working before/during/after a front rolls through…….when the critters are moving!

*I've tried: solar with plastic tarps, plastic bags, glass over dirt, oven, stirring dirt/wax in a pot over a cooker…….this is what I've settled on. I can get all the WD I need, want made when I want it, under much more control for where I live, I'm not relying on Mother Nature, some areas that's not an issue, here it can be.

* I've rented mixers for the past 7-8 years…..sure they have a little cement in them, just give them a few good whacks with a good hammer, loose stuff will fall, and don't worry about the rest…..it will quickly be covered with WD/WS. I've always needed a good sander to "touch up" the outside of the drum before returning………there's likely to be some black charred "stuff" on the outside of the drum……hint…you'll want to remove that before returning. Also, I'd suggest having a grease gun available, on big projects I've needed to be greased again, given the volume of WD and heat.

Good luck, be safe and ask all the questions you like, I'm more than glad to help.

#1961928 - 04/21/10 10:52 AM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Thanks, good tips!

#1962238 - 04/21/10 03:18 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
SouthWVtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Fayette County WV
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Black painted metal garbage can works well too...
As shown by Slim P.
I like to see more info on this.

#1962460 - 04/21/10 05:48 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: SouthWVtrapper]
wormbobskey Offline
trapper

Loc: Chauncey, Ohio
Well I'm trying it like LT shows and so far I've got my dirt (molehole dirt) just about completely dry. Already sifted and ready to go. Contacted my buddy to see if he still has the flake wax. Got it rigged up where I can cover it every night so it stays dry. Now all I have to do is watch the weather channel and see when we will have a good hot day to complete the process. I figure I've got all summer to play with it so I'll end up with what I want one way or the other.

#1962650 - 04/21/10 07:30 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: wormbobskey]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
Here is a link to a a post by TMan member Ace Trapper, think we lost him in the last crash....good link with lots of pictures using the cement mixer etc...Tom

http://www.huntingne.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20593

#1974861 - 04/30/10 04:37 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: tmrschessie]
wormbobskey Offline
trapper

Well, I did it the way LT. shows and the only drawback has been the weather. Finally got temps in the mid 80's today and I thought it would really help melt the wax. It didn't. So I put my plastic over it while I was mowing to keep the grass clippings out and low and behold when I came back to uncover the dirt the wax had melted on top. I guess the plastic trapped the heat in the box and that helped melt the wax. I think once this batch is done I'll wait until we get some 90 degree days and make some more. Anyway it does work if everything is working in your favor.

#1976454 - 05/01/10 08:31 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: wormbobskey]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yes, plenty of long, dry, hot weather!

#1977098 - 05/02/10 12:36 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
wormbobskey Offline
trapper

Should have known better than to try it this early in the year, but if its got anything to do with trapping than I'll find an excuse to do it.

#1986496 - 05/09/10 03:40 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
wildman 97 Offline
trapper

Loc: northern ny
i do it similar to LT's method, but i bought plastic cement mixing tubs from lowes that measure 20x26x6 and are around $5.00
each.i sift it all out, dry it on a 4x8 sheet of aluminum in the sun, then transfer into those tubs, add the wax, cover with an old storm window in direct sun and....walla....waxed dirt!!
i store it in a clean 55 gal plastic barrel with 2 2x4's across the top and a oversized piece of roof metal wich allows some air to get thru it..........best stuff since sliced bread...

#1986734 - 05/09/10 07:18 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: wildman 97]
red webb Offline
trapper

Loc: Carroll County Va
LT do you cover your dirt with glass or Plexiglas ? Alway cover it so when if it rain would not hurt .

#1987050 - 05/09/10 10:19 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: red webb]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Man, if the rain would hurt it, how would I ever use it on the trapline?

#1988690 - 05/11/10 07:24 AM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
red webb Offline
trapper

Loc: Carroll County Va
You would have to separate the water form the wax dirt to store.

#2009957 - 05/29/10 12:17 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: red webb]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

ha! Yep, a no-brainer, there!

#2013869 - 06/01/10 08:59 PM Re: Making waxed dirt w/ the sun... [Re: LT GREY]
wormbobskey Offline
trapper

Aside from the color change, whats a good indication that you have the wax to dirt mix right? I started with 6- 5 gallon buckets of dried and sifted dirt and added just over 10 pounds of grated wax to the dirt. I used the last of my wax today, but while raking it a saw that it was still creating dust when I moved it around. Should I add more wax?

Edited by wormbobskey (06/01/10 09:00 PM)

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie