07/06/10 10:37 PM
Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
Mira Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Mira Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted By: sgs
Hawkeye, my question was to Mira Trapper. Why would you presume to answer for him?

If you read what I wrote it would be obvious that Hawkeye and other posters knew what I meant. ``Those who don`t know history are bound to repeat it. In fact a revolt is already taking place in America for the same reasons as King George lost a country. Taxes & huge deficits`::: Saber rattling isn`t the only revolt that takes place in a society.

In fact your country is already getting warnings from Moody's that you can not continue to keep your triple A borrowing rate with the trillion-dollar increments that are being racked up. Your social programs continue to build towards 20 trillion dollars so that you are becoming more dependent upon China then America was to King George. If the trend continues you will see the same revolts as Greece is facing.In fact some left-wing union types are already offering violence as a remedy for cutbacks in wages . Not knowing your history and how the free market rose out of those ashes has been one of the greatest obscenities in the Modern US of A. If Hawkeye had been wrong I would have said so but I applaud his ability to realize what I pointed out in the thread previously. Seeing how he knew where I was coming from makes me wonder why you never caught the historical reference of my post. He had no problem, nor have others who caught my message as evidenced by other posters on this thread.

[Linked Image]
Mac Leod Motto
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Ole Hawkeye] #2052449
07/06/10 10:41 PM
07/06/10 10:41 PM
Mira Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Mira Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted By: Ole Hawkeye
T be fair, Mira, how many people were interviewed that knew all the answers? It wouldn't be very entertaining to show all of them, though.

I'll bet Jay could go to Nova Scotia and get some dumb answers, too.

Actually Nova Scotians were taught these lessons in American History ,Hawkeye. I would certainly expect our univercity and community collage teachers to be able to answer as well as Gramps.

[Linked Image]
Mac Leod Motto
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: bblwi] #2052453
07/06/10 10:46 PM
07/06/10 10:46 PM
Mira Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Mira Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted By: bblwi
Hard to know where you are going or how you will get there if you don't know where you are from or where you have been.
"any choice you make will get you there" Most don't like to be bothered by making choices because that makes one accountable and repsonsible for the choices one makes.

Bryce

exactly the point I was making Bryce. Seems some folks don`t think that understanding history makes for a greater ability to not repeat its mistakes. Knowing the heroes & villains of History and what preceded or followed their input into history weakens the following generations.

[Linked Image]
Mac Leod Motto
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Mira Trapper] #2052454
07/06/10 10:47 PM
07/06/10 10:47 PM
Oregon
Ole Hawkeye Offline
trapper
Ole Hawkeye  Offline
trapper

Oregon
SO were we, Mira, but I guess some people had other things on their minds, like pot and booze.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for a proper trigger squeeze.
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Ole Hawkeye] #2052463
07/06/10 10:55 PM
07/06/10 10:55 PM
Mira Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Mira Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted By: Ole Hawkeye
SO were we, Mira, but I guess some people had other things on their minds, like pot and booze.

Ah yes,the Timothy O`Leary , Ward Churchill generation.

[Linked Image]
Mac Leod Motto
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Coonsnightmare] #2052471
07/06/10 11:03 PM
07/06/10 11:03 PM
canada, manitoba
C
countrysmith Offline
trapper
countrysmith  Offline
trapper
C

canada, manitoba
"I agree. Frankly, it amazes me that that there are people who don't even know that we fought for independence from the British.

I work in a junior high school. I've talked to many an eighth grader who can't remember what they were taught two hours ago." sgs

to be fair.. umm whos fault would that be???

just a guy who is happy to be able to trap.. for whatever the price is

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2049655/1.html
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Ldsoldier] #2052621
07/07/10 07:10 AM
07/07/10 07:10 AM
Mira Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Mira Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted By: Ldsoldier
If enough people don't know the reasons for the revolution, then the freedom that so many worked, fought, sacrificed, and died for can be lost. If you go back and study world history you can see it time and time again.

While I believe they should, at least to some extent, I'm not gonna pick on someone for not knowing names and dates. However, when people don't know WHY we fought and risked everything for our freedom, that worries me. And yes, you never rule out the possibility of another revolution. Do you really think the British saw the first one coming?

To your point. We have folks that think allowing Hitler or Stalin types to take over nations has been defeated before so we shouldn`t go to war to curtail such tyrants,today. The History of such death & destruction by the likes of the Code Pink people shows a head in the sand mentality that refuses to accept the lessons of History or never learned those lessons to begin with.

[Linked Image]
Mac Leod Motto
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Mira Trapper] #2052626
07/07/10 07:33 AM
07/07/10 07:33 AM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Quote:
Not knowing your history and how the free market rose out of those ashes has been one of the greatest obscenities in the Modern US of A.

This is one of the most dangerous things to date. Some just can't seem to understand how a company survies and thrives. The goose that laid the golden egg story would apply if they would think about it.

Drifter

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Drifter] #2052689
07/07/10 09:30 AM
07/07/10 09:30 AM
Mira Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Mira Trapper  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted By: Drifter
Quote:
Not knowing your history and how the free market rose out of those ashes has been one of the greatest obscenities in the Modern US of A.

This is one of the most dangerous things to date. Some just can't seem to understand how a company survies and thrives. The goose that laid the golden egg story would apply if they would think about it.

Drifter

It seems we have a group of highly educated idealogues & philosopher egg heads who think profit is a dirty word. Unfortunately they are taking over the Supreme courts , the Universities and the Nanny State Government.

Last edited by Mira Trapper; 07/07/10 09:31 AM.

[Linked Image]
Mac Leod Motto
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Mira Trapper] #2052930
07/07/10 01:42 PM
07/07/10 01:42 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
Yes it is pathetic but it is also dangerous for the people of the United States to be so uncaring of their History & it`s foundations.

I was wondering if you saw the danger as being history repeating itself, as LDS said. The question then becomes what part of history. If it is the revolution, I'm not all that worried. While I doubt that there is any violent revolution that could bring down the US government, a revolution in mindset and thinking would be more than welcome.

Originally Posted By: countrysmith
to be fair.. umm whos fault would that be???

I don't know. On whom would you lay blame?

Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Coonsnightmare] #2052959
07/07/10 02:08 PM
07/07/10 02:08 PM
NC
S
Steeltrap Offline
trapper
Steeltrap  Offline
trapper
S

NC
The problem is (as I see it) the teachers unions. Most of the money for education is for staff salery, benifets etc. Schools are also poorly design for boys. I actually thought about starting a summer boys program called "Man School" where boy's would be taught skills that I think men aught to know how to do.
Drive a stick shift car
Change a tire
Change a light bulb
Use an ax/spilting maul
Plant a garden
Learn to fish
Learn to use a fire arm.
Fill out a check and balence a check book.
Saddle a hourse.
Basic carpentry
Basic wiring
Basic pumbing
Basic masonary
Martial Arts
Start a fire
Tie 20 different knots
Use hand tools
Use a map and compass
Basic small engine maitenence and repair
etc, etc
butcher a fish and animal to cook

How does anyone expect to get anywhere in life without some basic core skills is beyond me. I do small jobs on the side and the prices I charge, well most on here would throw me off there place, probably with a shotgun pointed at me. 95% of the time they probably could do it themselves but either don't know and more likely want to try. I built a guy a dog run and dog house. I charged him $2500 for labor plus the cost of materials. In about 10 hours one day and 4 another I finished it. This guy was glad to pay it... But what I guess he dosn't realize is that he will work a week and a have at his job just to pay me. It just blows me away how lazy people are in this country.

Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: sgs] #2053048
07/07/10 03:21 PM
07/07/10 03:21 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Quote:
I don't know. On whom would you lay blame?

There is pleanty of blame to go around unfortunatly. Our forefathers handed us a new country with some great ideals and a pretty good set of rules. Personal greed has set in and allowed to turn into a cancer on our country. It has come in many forms and at all levels.

Pet projects that one could not afford were soon funded by the excess taxes collected as politicians became corrupted oweing favors. Once that trend started the stink drew in more vultures. We turned our collective heads as it was easier then face it. It has snowballed to the point we may have to revolt to reclaim our country.

God was replaced in our lives by the god of green, silver or gold. This was a real turning point in our country. Life was made easier for each generation by parents wishing for a better life for their children. Soon it snowballed into the wife working outside the home to make ends meet and their children raised by a stranger. The results are what we see now and I for one don't like what I am seeing.

THE EASY ROAD IS SELDOM THE RIGHT PATH is a saying that comes to mind.

Drifter

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Drifter] #2053070
07/07/10 03:38 PM
07/07/10 03:38 PM

Y
Youngtraprs Dad
Unregistered
Youngtraprs Dad
Unregistered
Y

BRAVO DRIFTER!!! What a True Patriot!

Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: ] #2053104
07/07/10 04:07 PM
07/07/10 04:07 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Drifter, while I agree that personal greed is one of the biggest, if not the biggest problem we face, I'm not sure I see the connection to eighth graders not remembering what they have been taught.

There have always been greedy people but it was a trait usually looked upon with disdain. It was sometime in the 70's, the "yuppie" generation, where it started to be generally considered not only OK but desirable.

It's not just personal greed but business and corporate greed too.

Greed is a sin on every level and destructive to the individual and society as a whole.

Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: sgs] #2053109
07/07/10 04:11 PM
07/07/10 04:11 PM
Oregon
Ole Hawkeye Offline
trapper
Ole Hawkeye  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Drifter, while I agree that personal greed is one of the biggest, if not the biggest problem we face, I'm not sure I see the connection to eighth graders not remembering what they have been taught.

There have always been greedy people but it was a trait usually looked upon with disdain. It was sometime in the 70's, the "yuppie" generation, where it started to be generally considered not only OK but desirable.

It's not just personal greed but business and corporate greed too.

Greed is a sin on every level and destructive to the individual and society as a whole.

Without what you call greed there would be no free enterprise, which is okay if you are feeding from the public trough, but without free enterprise who's going to fill your trough?

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for a proper trigger squeeze.
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Ole Hawkeye] #2053121
07/07/10 04:19 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
How would a lack of greed result in no free enterprise?

Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: sgs] #2053124
Nova Scotia
P
Ponyboy123 Offline
trapper
Ponyboy123  Offline
trapper
P

Nova Scotia
Example #2, and these are not all under 50ish types. There are plenty more examples if you would like me to go on.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seYUbVa7L7w&feature=related

If ya aint got enemies, ya aint got character.......
Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: sgs] #2053149
07/07/10 04:35 PM
07/07/10 04:35 PM
Oregon
Ole Hawkeye Offline
trapper
Ole Hawkeye  Offline
trapper

Oregon
How would a lack of greed result in no free enterprise?

Nobody wants to take the risk of starting a business without a reward factor, the more profit the bigger the risk.

I'm what I am sure you call greedy, when I am fishing I want to make as much money as I can, I won't say, "well, I've made enough money for one day, I guess I'll stack the gear and go home."

Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Ole Hawkeye] #2053172
07/07/10 04:45 PM
07/07/10 04:45 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Anyone can conduct business in a way that is not greedy. Charging what your service or product is worth rather than as much as you can possibly get out of your customers, can make a person a good living.

When no amount is ever enough, you're sick with greed.

Re: America's school system is DOOMED> [Re: Coonsnightmare] #2053228
07/07/10 05:23 PM
07/07/10 05:23 PM
se. mn... age..64
Jim Blakley Offline
trapper
Jim Blakley  Offline
trapper

se. mn... age..64
sgs wrote........
I work in a junior high school. I've talked to many an eighth grader who can't remember what they were taught two hours ago.

Well then they weren't taught !

.....Ive been at this Game for over 50 years and have no plans to stop................
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread