ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: nccoyote] #2012213
05/31/10 05:45 PM
05/31/10 05:45 PM
tennessee
ccary Offline
trapper
ccary  Offline
trapper

tennessee
Krausen, 5 calls at 10 minutes is only 50 minutes. I charge time from my place back to my place, yes even if i have two jobs close, they are both charged for the time because i may only visit one place the next day and it saves confusion and makes sure i'm getting paid. Maybe breaking the fairness, but like you said you can't burn a whole day and get paid for an hour.

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: nccoyote] #2012338
05/31/10 07:48 PM
05/31/10 07:48 PM
Roswell NM
N
NMCritterRidder Offline
trapper
NMCritterRidder  Offline
trapper
N

Roswell NM
I give a set price on everything except skunks. I have a set up fee and a per animal removed fee for them. Everything else I price after looking at the job. I give them a price to remove and then a price for exclusion. This has worked well for me.

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: NMCritterRidder] #2013499
06/01/10 05:47 PM
06/01/10 05:47 PM
Georgia, US
J
Jason Johnson Offline
trapper
Jason Johnson  Offline
trapper
J

Georgia, US
I like to give the customers two options. Option #1 is pay per catch and I make it high per animal assuming I catch less than I expect to. As mentioned above, this is a good way to advertise as it shows your confidence in your work. Option # 2, I then give them a set price that is the minimal amount that I will do the job for. This covers me in every area and typically saves the customers money over paying per catch due to how I set it up. They will normally go with the set price due to it being smaller, even though there is no guarantee.

For example, I had a fox job where I knew there were four problem foxes. After figuring out my travel expenses, I told the customer that it would be $105 per fox (105 x 4= $420) or the set price of $370 no matter how many I caught. The first option showed him my confidence (showing that I would take the job even with no guarantee of getting paid unless I was successful) while the second offer gave him a firm price that could save him money. He took the firm price (as usual) and I caught all four problem foxes, made him happy with his choice, and I made money.

This is working good for me, I'm not going to change. Hourly seems like it could potentially scare people. Customers are not just paying us for our time, they are paying us for our equipment, knowledge, experience, and time. Hourly wage makes it look/sound just like they are paying us for our time.

I am open minded and would love to hear what is working out there and will try something new if it might be better.

This is a good post keep it going.

-Jason Johnson

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Jason Johnson] #2013746
06/01/10 08:38 PM
06/01/10 08:38 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
JASON, I like your thinking !!!! Makes sense to lay it out like that..

Joe Robidoux
Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: swampdonkey] #2013762
06/01/10 08:50 PM
06/01/10 08:50 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
NMCritterRidder,
Tell us something about Roswell New Mexico! I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in what kind of work you do in one of the most famous science-fiction areas in the world.

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #2013935
06/01/10 10:31 PM
06/01/10 10:31 PM
Roswell NM
N
NMCritterRidder Offline
trapper
NMCritterRidder  Offline
trapper
N

Roswell NM
Paul I deal with lots of squirrels in attics, skunks and gophers. Have had a couple of bat calls and some snake calls. All of my work is referral as I have not done any advertising yet. We have a ton of hay farmers here and that keeps me going with the gopher work.

Luckily I have not had any calls for little green men yet.

Re: Getting away from per animal charges [Re: NMCritterRidder] #2022628
06/09/10 12:08 PM
06/09/10 12:08 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Stop billing! That's the problem !

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread