Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1998769 - 05/19/10 07:44 AM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: tmrschessie]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
Have instructed Amanda, that does my website to put the mechanisms for sale by pay pal. Should be up by this afternoon. There will be limited instruction. If they sell I will progress with the sales. If they don't, I will stop sales.

The problem is there is such a wide range of application. Explaining all would take a book. If they pay, a book will be in the works. Will also post a video later, that shows the mechanism working on the hog door better.Folks wanted to see that.

All that want to build their own would now have more options. This should help all cage trappers including the makers. They can take thier best trap design and increase its function.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhryqzeev2I

#1998964 - 05/19/10 10:30 AM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Kirk De]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
I saw the vidio from Advanced Traps. How heavy are the cages? How do you adjust the pans to keep small unwanted critters out. How do you get 100 of them in the field in 3 Days. Do they stack inside each other? There are a lot of good ideas for someone who will set a couple of traps. But not for a longliner.

#1999004 - 05/19/10 11:05 AM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Bob Small]
CLT Offline
trapper

Loc: st. lawrence county ny
Kirk,that tube trap was pretty slick.Thanks for posting the vid..

#1999075 - 05/19/10 11:49 AM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: CLT]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Loc: Arizona
It's great that there are still a few custom cage makers out there making cages specific to catching bobcats. Competition amongst cage makers helps to drive the industry forward.

I'd like to see how many cage traps someone could carry on their quad in their truck bed. I am planning on purchasing 15 more cages and need to have them all fit in the back of my truck.

Thanks for the posts.

#1999214 - 05/19/10 01:47 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Bob Small]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

I am a longliner too. For many years average over 300 miles a day for 90 days at a time. Caught thousands of animals. Litterally.
Conventional methods of trapping has been and is absolutely the best way to go.

I just developed a tool for those who want to use it.

#1999301 - 05/19/10 03:06 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Kirk De]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

If you don't have a least 100 sets out,your not longlining. Some states only allow Cage Traps on Public Land like Arizona, Colorado, California, and Washington. If your were longlining 300 miles a day and over a hundred sets you weren't using your cages. Kirk I have respect for you, and I'm not trying to make you mad. Your cages are just not designed for longlining. I respect anyone who is working on Cage Traps as hard as you are.

#1999312 - 05/19/10 03:22 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Bob Small]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Thanks,

We have Plantations here that the owners will only let the managers use cage traps during hunting season. Some own over 400 cage traps and have successful conventional trapping programs.

All of the managers would rather conventionally trap, but most owners don't understand the methods that are available and how much better off they would be.

It's just a shame.

#1999456 - 05/19/10 05:08 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Hyperwrx]
romans117
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Hyperwrx
Thanks for the link. I paid $450 for 5 brand new cages. Good deal?

Great deal!!!! I like his site too.

#1999566 - 05/19/10 06:41 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: ]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

I trap in Arizona, and most of Arizona is Public Land.(Cages must be used on Public Land) Bobcats pay the most money for Arizona Furs. The Western Cats are large and it's not uncommond to trap 42" Cats stretched(measured from the nose to the base of the tail) Standing up alive the cats are 16" to 18" high, 28" to 32" long and weigh 16 to 20 pounds. If a cat has trouble getting into a cage you will have more refusals. I see pictures of large Cats in Small Cages but this is very uncommon for me. I hear stories of Bobcats weighing over 40 pounds. If a Bobcat is over 20 pounds, it's a very large Cat. THANKS!

#2000149 - 05/20/10 08:08 AM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Bob Small]
Mercer Lawing Offline
trapper

Loc: California
ADC, your link for the Dukes looks like 15.00 ADDITIONAL shipping.

Bob Smalls website did turn out nice. I find it interesting that he has no pictures of cats in cages or catch pictures newer than 1982. Hmmmm??

Fairly certain that his drop down door cages have yet to be in the field. Last year all he had was those great big and heavy swing downs. I helped him unload them at the SWFH roundy last year. After watching me sell my truckload of my cages he just flat copied them. To be accurate he copied the trigger mechanism. You can see the trigger linkage in the pic below.

He is a nice guy and entertaining to say the least but I share very few of his ideas/theories on cage trapping.

Jeff Yancy may have been the first one to do a five cage set, i know he ran some fours. Here is a pic of my fives. I can get 45 in my Tacoma or my Rhino.

I like the narrow cages for the obvious reasons. You can get a bunch in the truck, they hide easy and will fit into tight spots I run across out in this rocky desert. I personaly have not noticed any higher frequency of refusals on narrow versus wide.

ML

Edited by Furhvstr (05/20/10 01:29 PM)

http://cagingbobcats.com/

#2000450 - 05/20/10 02:34 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Mercer Lawing]
Steve Craig Offline
trapper

Loc: AZ
Mercer (Furhvstr)has the finest BOBCAT/GREY FOX cages on the market today. I own them, use them, and he is an innovater when it comes to cage design, pan,trigger design etc.
NO ONE has as good a trigger design than he does.

Mercer, I know for a fact that you have many sales for this years coming rondy here. So plan on bringing a bunch of cages. I need 10 more myself.
Steve

#2000491 - 05/20/10 03:18 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: ]
Steve Craig Offline
trapper

Hey John,
Long time no see.
Our Rondy, The Southwest Fur Harvesters Chpt 18A here in AZ will be the weekend of Sept 18 high in the cool pines of Northern AZ.
30 miles east of Camp Verde AZ on Hwy 260

#2000515 - 05/20/10 03:35 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Steve Craig]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

Seems to me you need to put these bobcat cages side by side and see what's Mercer is crying about.

#2000593 - 05/20/10 04:31 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: ]
Hyperwrx Offline
trapper

Loc: Arizona
Steve,
We sat around a campfire and talked bobcats and lions last year at the Predator Professionals Campout last year. You are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciated the time you took. I will be at the SWFH Rondy in September.

I'd rather see this thread go in a more productive direction rather than bashing cage builders.

Question for you veteran trap makers. If you are targeting bobcats what can be done with your trap and it's setup so you do not catch non-target animals and waste time in the field?

#2000647 - 05/20/10 05:02 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Mercer Lawing]
ADC
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Furhvstr
ADC, your link for the Dukes looks like 15.00 ADDITIONAL shipping.

Only on the second cage. The first one ships for standard shipping. If it were me I'd buy them at a convention though where you can get them for even less per trap and pay no shipping.

~ADC~

#2000674 - 05/20/10 05:15 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: ]
Monster Toms Offline
trapper

Loc: The great cage state Colorado
Haveing caught cats in just about every cage out there, from Stacy Yancys original to Jeff Yancys new style, Schoeders, mine and few others I've would only attest to two things
#1 If they work use them.
#2 Anything over 40" long is a waste of wire.
I still run mostly Schroeders cages due to the number of big coon here.
Imitation is the highest form of flattery but it is no replacement for experience.

As far as non-targets in cages, When limited to cages, fur is fur take what you can get and make the most of it.
I never get upset to see a skunk in a good cat set. I made the set for a reason the cat will be back.

www.crittercollector.com

#2000697 - 05/20/10 05:35 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Monster Toms]
Steve Craig Offline
trapper

Just a few cats ole Mercer took for your consideration. He knows cats and how to trap and call them.

Hyperwrx,
It was my pleasure talking to you at the Campout. Glad you are coming to the SWFH. Look forward to seeing you again.

Tracy,
I have Mercers new design. What a pleasure to use. Also really enjoyed your and Jeffs video. Nothing wrong with Jeffs cages either. Used his design for several years. Used my own too, but it is kinda like using traps. When you get to see and use the Cadilac, you just dont want to use anything else.

John,
Hope you can make it.
Steve

Edited by Steve Craig (05/20/10 05:42 PM)

#2000714 - 05/20/10 05:47 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: ]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
Originally Posted By: Cameron2
Steve, that picture of Mercer is photoshopped. laugh

There are several good cage makers out there. John Schroeder's cages are bullet proof, and I'm sure if Monstertom makes one, its quality as well. Mercer will tell you he took Reid and Yancy's design and improved on it, but I've seen Mercer's production facility and he's got a real good system set up. His cages are the next generation, so to speak.

Excellent response from some one who uses all of them...Thanks Tracey

#2000762 - 05/20/10 06:19 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: tmrschessie]
Steve Craig Offline
trapper

"Steve, that picture of Mercer is photoshopped"

LOL!!!! I heard he spray painted alot of those spots on them too!

He will kill me for copying it to here!

""John Schroeder's cages are bullet proof,"

I like his coon cages and have used them for years in Indiana.

Edited by Steve Craig (05/20/10 06:21 PM)

#2000780 - 05/20/10 06:26 PM Re: New cage traps for bobcats- lots of pictures [Re: Steve Craig]
Bob Small Offline
trapper

It's time for Mercer and Tracy to step up to the plate and go to Rock Springs and show how their cages are so much better than Bob's. Bob's been trapping Bobcats before they were a twinkle in their Dad's eyes. Bob will be at booth #76, talk is cheap, nobody never got ahead by beating someone else down.

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie