Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#1994295 - 05/14/10 10:22 PM Fisher - Fisher Trapping
StemCell Offline
trapper

Loc: East Central, Pennsylvania
As many know, we here in PA will get opportunity to trap fisher next season on a limited basis this comming season.

Please consider your knowledge with those of us that have had limited experience with this furbearer in any of the following areas:

Habitat preferences
Bait or lure preferences
Set options
Equipment preferences

And anything else you care to share with us.

Thank you,

#1994556 - 05/15/10 07:02 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: StemCell]
MncoonerJr Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
Post this on the main fourm.

#1994715 - 05/15/10 10:21 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Gump]
John Deere Steve Offline
trapper

Loc: Hillsdale WI
My favorite set for them is a baited box with a 160 in the front of it. Lots of fresh meat in the box as bait. Oak ridge tops are a great location for this set. And many coon also find the set. Meat does not relly seem to matter. Squirrel is a good one. As is rabbits, beaver, muskrat, and deer. Fishers are not afraid of much and dont shy away from the connibers much. Make sure you have good strong connibears as a big male fisher can pretty tough and I have cought more than a few that are still alive in a cheap connibear.

#1994770 - 05/15/10 11:39 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: John Deere Steve]
coalminer Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa
We cannot us bodygrips on land in PA. I am very curious on this post as we have these here and can now trap them.

#1994910 - 05/16/10 11:31 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: coalminer]
bctomcat Offline
trapper

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC Can
A fisher is an opportunistic predator/scavenger that will eat virtually anything; berries, birds and eggs, fish and of coarse MEAT. I prefer beaver for bait as it gives off a good odor when even frozen. Many lures will attract them, beaver castor, fish oil and marten lures. One with skunk in it is great for very cold weather conditions.

I catch most of my fisher in heavily forested riparian areas with lots of deadfall material.

160 and 220 conibear are often recommended traps but I use 120 mags for them with great success. I use the same set up as for marten, a 120 coni box nailed on a leaning tree with a pan trigger trap set close to the bait in back of a relatively deep box "14+ inches deep. With the trap set close to bait, the marten fires it by standing on the pan with its front feet while working the bait. This results in a qick clean kill virtually 99.9% of the time.

A fisher will fire the trap with its chin while working the bait and you will get neck catch at base of skull. The trap must be at the back of box close to the bait so that the animal is stationary at the bait when it fires the trap.

#1994923 - 05/16/10 11:38 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: coalminer]
wildman 97 Offline
trapper

Loc: northern ny
trap them on ridges and where to diff types of forest meet...
conifers/hardwoods, along stone walls, along waterways, at ends of beaver dams, along side beaver ponds. and if your useing legholds only, put multiple swivels in the chain. i swivel my coni's as well. any style cubby will get them, rock,sticks, buckets, wood boxes etc. like said above, they are'nt really afraid or shy of anything. beaver is an exc. bait. alot get caught in dirtholes as well.a good call lure in cold temps is a plus. good luck...........

#1995679 - 05/16/10 08:53 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: John Deere Steve]
StemCell Offline
trapper

luv2,
sounds like some good info in your post, thanks. We cannot use body gripping traps on land in PA. We could set a foothold just inside the box I recon and be just as effecient.

#1995687 - 05/16/10 08:57 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: bctomcat]
StemCell Offline
trapper

bctomcat,
Thank you for your reply. As coalminer stated, we will need to work without the bodygrippers. The information on location and bait preferences is good stuff.

#1995696 - 05/16/10 09:00 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: wildman 97]
StemCell Offline
trapper

wildman 97,
Thanks for the post. Really good stuff on the location and swiveling preference.

Do you prefer the beaver fresh or tainted?

#1997300 - 05/18/10 06:58 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: StemCell]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Good info, right there!

#1997454 - 05/18/10 09:36 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: StemCell]
Mac Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine

Habitat preferences
Swamps, black growth (thick Hemlock/spruce wood lands), old grown up farming country, beaver swamps, marshes etc. Some hardwoods.
The edge effect is important on these guys.
Fisher are where you find them, depending on food sources.

Bait or lure preferences
Beaver is often the first choice. Suet is very good. Lots of bait works but as mentioned above beaver is number one to most folks.
Lure: Beaver caster/skunk LDC/fish oil
Lots of lures will call them.

Set options
traditional Tree sets/cage sets on trees is the most common production type set/ various cubbies/dirthole sets/ Have caught them in flat sets made for canines/the water set/you name it

Equipment preferences
220s
120s
160s
#2 DBL
Hope this helps

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

#1997525 - 05/18/10 11:23 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Mac]
CLT Offline
trapper

Loc: st. lawrence county ny
Around beaver ponds,dam crossings,cedar and hemlock swamps and in higher ground pines.Here they prey on red squirrels,rabbits and birds.No body grips,you can use coilsprings or long spring traps on leaning poles,use a good solid trap.Use a hatchet and chop and level a spot out on the pole that the trap can sit in,I like it at least waist high.Stepping sticks on both ends of the trap and bait wired 16-18 inches past the trap.Cover the bait with pine branches to hide it from birds.Drag the bait up and down the pole,use fish oil or something similar and make a scent trail from ground right up to the bait.The pole can be a leaning tree or you can wire or screw a pole to another tree.I only use this in thick pines,or dense hemlock ect..It is also a very good cat set.If you want you can use a cubby to hold the bait that is an option.Cold weather lures should have a combo of skunk,fisher glands,beaver sac oil,beaver castor,weasel glands or combos.There are some good commercial lures out there.Of course check your laws and make sure everything is legal.Some states the animal must be able to reach the ground.A feather,wing or flag can be hung over the pole where it meets the ground also.The scent trail up the pole is important in my opinion although I am sure some will say not necessary.

#1998281 - 05/18/10 08:24 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: Mac]
StemCell Offline
trapper

Mac,
Great post, thanks for the info.

#1998288 - 05/18/10 08:27 PM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: CLT]
StemCell Offline
trapper

Clear lake,
How do you fasten your foothold to the log and have it come free upon a catch occuring?

Another good post, thanks.

#1998741 - 05/19/10 07:06 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: StemCell]
Mac Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
Clear lake,
How do you fasten your foothold to the log and have it come free upon a catch occuring?

I never use foot holds on trees or logs because we have a 24 hour check on foot holds. It is really very hard to beat a good ground set for fisher. They are already on the ground so why not meet them there? I wrote an article that appeared in the Trapper + Predator caller back a while ago. (in the 90's I think).
If you have an every day check a foot hold is not a bad way to go. Large well guided dirt hole sets or cubbies are very hard to beat. Very effective. Tree sets are the set of choice of long liners or even part timers like myself because of their effectiveness and mainly because of check laws in our area.
Another factor to consider is that a foot hold will take what comes down the trail, be it coyote, fox, etc. Back in the fur boom I was never disappointed to see a $65.00 fox fox bouncing around. It was essential to use at least double setting as it could be dismaying to see a fresh set of fisher track drifting by a caught fox. Especially when fisher were worth real money.
Don't ask how I know!
My two cents.

Mac

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

#1998841 - 05/19/10 09:01 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: StemCell]
CLT Offline
trapper

Loc: st. lawrence county ny
Originally Posted By: StemCell
Clear lake,

Use a couple finish nails around the jaws of the set trap or a piece of wire wrapped secure to the bottom of the frame,wrap under tree and a wrap on the trap in a way that a animal struggling will be able to pull the trap loose.
Mac is absolutely correct about dirt holes too.They will catch fisher but like any set location is key.In fact a dirt hole in close proximity to a pole set is a good idea.If I have enough traps I will sometimes bed a trap at the bottom of the pole and blend it in and use some brush or branches as guides.I have caught them at the bottom of the pole when set like this.Having two or three sets in a good area is a good idea.I forgot to mention this is a good coon set also.

#2003217 - 05/23/10 09:52 AM Re: Fisher Trapping [Re: CLT]
THWACK!08 Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Wisconsin
for some reason i have never caught a fisher in a conibear set, dont know why, but i always get them in a dirthole set, using tainted bird meat, catch 2 to 4 a year that way, i set between where the woods opens up and where it is thicker

Moderator:  tmrschessie