Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1881578 - 03/09/10 02:10 PM Let's talk beaver snaring...
BanditBuster Offline
trapper

Loc: Near Alexandria, MN
This thread is going to be all about beaver snaring... What sive snare is the best? What are your favorite sets using snares? Do you snare during open water or wait til' the ice? Feel free to share pictures of sets, catches, and, pretty much any thing that goes along with snaring beaver!

I look forward to replies,
Luke

#1881647 - 03/09/10 02:45 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: BanditBuster]
Bristleback Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Hope this thread takes off.
Snaring beaver is new to me..........tons to learn.

? When snaring castor mounds.....what's everyone's preference on snare location: in the water, water's edge....up out of the water...if so, how far?

#1881659 - 03/09/10 02:55 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: Bristleback]
catsmith Offline
trapper

Loc: Northwest Louisiana
I am by no means a numbers man. But.....I have cought a few beavs in snares. I have been setting them on castor sets. I set them right at the water line or a couple inches up on dry land. bout a 8-9 inch loop barely touching the ground. fake castor mound about 18-24" off the water in a natural chute to the water. Makes it easier to block off. I don't usually block off real heavy if i can get a chute that looks like the easiest way in.

Tried a set eric told me about this year but could not make it work. Put castor on a tree in the water and hang the snare a few inches off the tree and catch them swimming around the tree looking for the smell.

Shecatsmith is a cutie!

http://www.louisianatrappers.com/index.html

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

#1881706 - 03/09/10 03:17 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: catsmith]
Bristleback Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
I see so many sets that look "perpendicular" to the bank......meaning straight out from the bank......

Yet many advise that a beaver will work the set from the "down water" side/approach.......in moving water.??......if so wouldn't it make sense to offset the blocking, approach to the down water side? or am I over thinking this?

#1882286 - 03/09/10 06:49 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: Bristleback]
Kirk Offline
trapper

Loc: louisiana
I set a lot of snares for beaver my pref on the snares is 5/64 cable with I think its called a mini lock (looks like a small sure lock) with a swivel on the end. I use a loop approximatly 8 - 10 inches and about 2 inches off the ground. as for the sets Ill use a snare pretty much anywhere I can find that I want a trap castor mounds cross overs or some times just where beaver are coming up the bank to feed. The main thing Iv found when using a snare on a castor mound is to place the stake far enough away so the snare will fire before the beaver gets to the mound

#1882361 - 03/09/10 07:09 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: Kirk]
JBR Offline
trapper

Loc: West Central GA
My first year snaring beaver this year. I caught three in our farm pond, and I hope to catch some in a family members pond soon. I really like it a lot more than conibears. Less hassle, less cost, easier to carry, etc.

I used some cable as anchors and anchored it to whatever was close by, a 60 inch snare and a stick with wire on it to hold them up and I got them all pretty easy.

The only bad thing is beavers are all you can legally use them for here.

JBR
"Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom." Song of Solomon 2:15

#1882760 - 03/09/10 08:55 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: JBR]
paul antczak
Unregistered

I really started using snares on my beaver line last year. I was always anti snare because of the fur damage. after some testing last year with a relaxing lock and 3/32 7X7 I changed my thoughts on it. The only thing I have found with snares that is disappointing is that the castors are less full.

#1882799 - 03/09/10 09:07 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: ]
nccoyote Offline
trapper

Loc: Mocksville, NC
I like them but, if you are inside the city limits doing adc work then you have to deal with a live beaver. They are a great tool though.

#1882805 - 03/09/10 09:10 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: nccoyote]
paul antczak
Unregistered

Yep a live beaver in a snare can tear the neighbors dog up! Would not be pretty.

#1882827 - 03/09/10 09:20 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: ]
yarnammurt Offline
trapper

Loc: Arkansas
I've just started this year with snares. Well two weeks ago. So far not bad two beaver both where over 45lbs. I am setting mine on crossovers and any where I can find them coming out of the water. I have found a few trails in the shalow water and set them to today will see in the morring. If you snare with out a kill spring should you check them two times a day.

#1882916 - 03/09/10 10:06 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: yarnammurt]
scott rainbolt Offline
trapper

Loc: morristown tn.
had that happen n a job back last summer paul snared a big ol beaver had the snare set about 175 yards from there house. lady said she let the dog out that morning and he shot down there like a rocket. he tore that dog a new one think she said took 85 stables to fix him up. what made me realy fill bad was poor ol dog only had 3 legs at the start of the fight

#1883348 - 03/10/10 07:48 AM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: scott rainbolt]
fishmax2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas, Goddard
The only way I trap beavers is with snares and I catch quite a few. 3/32 is the size I use with surelocks atm. Make em about 8 foot long and you will be far happier, at least I am because I never carry stakes and wrap em around trees at the base. Most of em come from castor mound sets, slides, and channels. Very rarely do I trap them under ice.

#1883460 - 03/10/10 09:07 AM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: fishmax2]
BanditBuster Offline
trapper

Pretty good so far... but, We need pictures!

#1883573 - 03/10/10 10:15 AM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: BanditBuster]
fishmax2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas, Goddard
I believe all I have is video, starting tommorow my longline begins on beaver ill take 1080 HD video maybe some pics

#1884592 - 03/10/10 06:36 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: fishmax2]
BanditBuster Offline
trapper

A lil' off topic but... I heard beavers don't use runs during the spring. But, every spring beaver trapping article I've read say thier feed beds go stale during the winter so there swimming around as soon as the ice goes off. Plus, they like the sweet sap in the trees. Which theary is true?

Thanks,
Luke

#1885063 - 03/10/10 08:47 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: BanditBuster]
BanditBuster Offline
trapper

Here some pictures from Buzzard...

#1885124 - 03/10/10 09:08 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: BanditBuster]
Ray1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
Awesome pics Bandit. I am new to trapping and that helps me a lot.

#1885153 - 03/10/10 09:19 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: Ray1]
BanditBuster Offline
trapper

Don't thank me, thank Buzzard! wink

Luke

#1885229 - 03/10/10 09:56 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: BanditBuster]
Ray1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
Sorry didnt catch that. Thanks Buzzard.

#1885355 - 03/10/10 11:19 PM Re: Let's talk beaver snaring... [Re: Ray1]
Judd Brooks Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
I really enjoy snaring beaver due to the simplicity and limited weight. I like 5/64" 7x7 cable but have had good luck with 3/32" as well. I have heard good things about 1/8" cable for reducing fur damage but have not tried it yet. I have used cam locks, reicharts, slim locks, gregerson locks, and sure locks. They all work but I think I am leaning towards the reichart as my go to lock. Its narrow profile and wide surface where it touches the beaver seems to be a great combination. For support I like plastic tubing for a "whammy" but have used the steel as well. I like to support with #9 or 10 gauge wire. A solid support is critical as the only thing that should move on the snare is the lock.

I like a short snare (around 32-36") with an end swivel. This gets the swivel as close to the beaver as possible. In shallow water I typically add an 8' 3/32" cable extension and either anchor to a tree or use a 2" Pogo. If I have good drowning depth I will put the snare on a slide wire. Sliding them really saves a good set location as a snared beaver on 8-10' of cable can really do some renovation to a wide area.

The last couple years I have gone to a smaller loop (about 8") set about four fingers from the bottom of the trail in a shallow water or dryland situation or about 1/3 of the loop below the surface of the water if they are swimming. My snares are loaded and close quickly. Setting this way gives me a good percentage of neck catches on adult beaver as the bottom of the loop is set to come in contact with the beavers chin or breast. Neck catches really reduce any fur damage. I do find a fair number of snares knocked down so my setting method is far from perfected.

If drowning, I feel comfortable using a larger loop set closer to the ground as fur damage from a body catch is minimized in a drowning situation. Just remember that the longer your snare is the more drowning depth you need...especially if you happen to hip catch one.

I only snare in non-drowning situation if I am on a 24 hour check or less. Even with swivels beaver can really abuse cable if there is any kind of entanglement in the area and your risk of loss and increased fur damage goes up the longer a beaver is in the snare.

As far as sets go...natural crossovers, narrow channels, baited sets, bank holes,castor mounds are all good places for snares. I just try to find locations that naturally lend to funneling beaver through a relatively narrow space. I don't mind adding some blocking but I don't get carried away. Most of my guiding is more of a suggestion than an obstruction.

Wish I had better pictures but here are some from a few years back.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie