Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: wr otis] #1877048
03/07/10 11:34 AM
03/07/10 11:34 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Online content

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Online Content

W

McGrath, AK
Those are right out of the box. I usually don't use many body grips at all but did this time as I wanted to give Okie more variety and provide stuff he is more used to using.

I probably will treat them next year as stuff does rust here too.

Mean As Nails
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: white17] #1877194
03/07/10 01:17 PM
03/07/10 01:17 PM
Logan County KY
M
mark Offline
trapper
mark  Offline
trapper
M

Logan County KY
where the heck is day 5?

A "half truth" is still a whole lie.
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: mark] #1877207
03/07/10 01:23 PM
03/07/10 01:23 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Online content

white17  Online Content

W

McGrath, AK
I think day 5 was the day Okie slept all day. Maybe he figures we aren't interested in reading about that.

Mean As Nails
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: white17] #1877216
03/07/10 01:35 PM
03/07/10 01:35 PM
Logan County KY
M
mark Offline
trapper
mark  Offline
trapper
M

Logan County KY
then he needs to do day 6, rofl.

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: mark] #1877244
03/07/10 01:54 PM
03/07/10 01:54 PM
Golden Meadow, Louisiana
O
Okiekajun Offline OP
trapper
Okiekajun  Offline OP
trapper
O

Golden Meadow, Louisiana
Day 5 is in the works, I'll have it to Ken soon.

I didnt think anyone was still reading this, nothing much happens the rest of the trip. It'll take me longer to make it's journal entry since all of it is lies at this point.

I may even get day six up here before tonight.

Thanks Ken, I'd have gotten up on time if you had'nt given me nightmares from those "college days" horror stories of yours.

Alaskan certified...
Taught the traditional Alaskan "bush" life by the legendary white17.
Taught the modern Alaskan "bush" life by Hupurest and Alaskan.
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Okiekajun] #1877269
03/07/10 02:05 PM
03/07/10 02:05 PM
Golden Meadow, Louisiana
O
Okiekajun Offline OP
trapper
Okiekajun  Offline OP
trapper
O

Golden Meadow, Louisiana
Obviously, anyone is entitled to THIER opinion as to how THEY would handle the fur caught if THEY had invested the time and money for a trip like this.

Ken offered the conditions of the auction,ANYONE could have paid and accepted them. I accepted the conditions and paid for them. I'm happy. Ken's happy.

That's all I really give a flip about.

Alaskan certified...
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Okiekajun] #1877283
03/07/10 02:16 PM
Idaho
I
Idtrapper Offline
trapper
Idtrapper  Offline
trapper
I

Idaho
Originally Posted By: Okiekajun
Obviously, anyone is entitled to THIER opinion as to how THEY would handle the fur caught if THEY had invested the time and money for a trip like this.

Ken offered the conditions of the auction,ANYONE could have paid and accepted them. I accepted the conditions and paid for them. I'm happy. Ken's happy.

YA YA BLA BLA - Now quit wasting time and get back to work on day 5.. Impatient minds want to know ..LOL
( You lived our dream )

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Okiekajun] #1877284
Logan County KY
M
mark Offline
trapper
mark  Offline
trapper
M

Logan County KY
just get busy, if you get it up by 6, I'll stand by my pledge from last night.

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Okiekajun] #1877330
03/07/10 02:48 PM
03/07/10 02:48 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted By: Okiekajun

Sorry,guess I started it by just saying how such a trip of yours would be more about memories and the experience of it all rather then money made by pelts in my eyes.Didn't mean anything about it in any way shape or form.Great trip and I have enjoyed every word.Thanks for sharing it with us.Bruce

Nevada bound
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: mark] #1877332
03/07/10 02:49 PM
03/07/10 02:49 PM
idaho falls idaho
trapr Offline
trapper
trapr  Offline
trapper

idaho falls idaho
I think the natives are getting restless,better get to writing,don't think they are in the mood for excuses! laugh

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: trapr] #1877405
03/07/10 03:59 PM
03/07/10 03:59 PM
s.w. Missouri
C
coolstucco Offline
trapper
coolstucco  Offline
trapper
C

s.w. Missouri
Come on guys, don't make the okiecajun mad, we'll never hear the rest of the story if you do that.

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: coolstucco] #1877422
03/07/10 04:12 PM
03/07/10 04:12 PM
Golden Meadow, Louisiana
O
Okiekajun Offline OP
trapper
Okiekajun  Offline OP
trapper
O

Golden Meadow, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: coolstucco
Come on guys, don't make the okiecajun mad, we'll never hear the rest of the story if you do that.

No worries. Ken has a copy of day 5 now, so blame him if he doesnt get it read and approved soon. LOL

Bruce, No problems. This trip was for my personal enjoyment and memories. The fur from it will, for the most part, be used for the same reasons. My enjoyment and memories.I have several plans for the pelts. As of now I'll be sending everything in for taxidermy tanning.

NONE of the fur caught while on the line will be sold for MY financial gain.

Alaskan certified...
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Okiekajun] #1877424
03/07/10 04:13 PM
03/07/10 04:13 PM
Golden Meadow, Louisiana
O
Okiekajun Offline OP
trapper
Okiekajun  Offline OP
trapper
O

Golden Meadow, Louisiana
Day 5
Sunday February 14th 2010
7:00 A.M. Clear, 10 above

Breakfast of brown sugar and peanut butter, with a spoon full of steel cut oats added. Mmm…Mmmm. Hot and sweet and good. I cant believe I’m eating like this and losing weight. I stay fairly active at home, but if ate this every morning at home, I wouldn’t fit through the door. As I tighten my belt another notch, I wonder if it has to do with the cold and burning more calories. Either way, breakfast is finished and we’re more than ready to go check the first line we set out on Thursday. High hopes and great weather.

As we cross the river and approach our first set…Score! Marten number three, number one for the day, is hanging from the 120 vertical can set. Another beautiful male. We leave him hang since we’ll pass by here on the way out. We continue along finding the next marten sets empty, but the “white17 special” leaning pole has marten number four, number two for the day, alive and well in a #1 jump. Ken shows me his quick dispatch method and we’re on our way to the next set.

The double MB 750 set is empty but nearby we notice a hole under some roots that has mink and marten sign. We decide to take advantage of the perfect location and I put a 110 over the hole wiring it off to a stout willow. This looks like a mink suicide machine. As we approach the double wolverine bucket set, I can see fur and start to get a little excited, actually I’m bouncing up and down on the sled like a five year old with ADD. We get close enough that I can tell the nearest bucket has marten number five, number three for the day. I’m not what you’d call disappointed, but from a distance I sure thought that was going to be my gulo. I get off the sled before Ken has even stopped the machine and head over to collect the catch, I can see that the vertical marten can set nearby is empty, but as I get close to the first bucket the second bucket comes into view, and I see that there lies marten number six, number four for the day! A true marten double in 330 wolverine buckets ten feet from each other. Both are big males and have great coloring. My disappointment at not having the wolverine that I had hoped for is gone in a flash. Two beautiful marten, four already today, and we still had a marten set and a wolverine bucket left on this line.

The remaining two sets are a ways away giving me time to snap some pictures and enjoy the scenery. I’m thinking how great the day has gone so far when I notice Ken is studying the trail ahead, I soon see he’s looking at fresh wolverine sign that’s headed toward our last bucket set. When we are about fifty yards from the set Ken stops the machine and asks if I’d just like to skip this bucket and check it later. HA HA real funny. I tell him I’ll walk back if need be but “I aint missing checking that bucket!” Laughing, we pull on up to the set. Ken stops behind some trees blocking my view but where he can see the set. I’m disappointed when I notice no reaction from him. I’m thinking “that gulo is going to avoid me today”, and I’m curious to go see why he missed the set. I get up to Ken and can now see he must be a heck of a poker player, because he hasn’t batted an eye while looking straight at my gorgeous wolverine! I look at Ken and he finally cracks a smile, I let out a war whoop and sart digging out the camera while hurrying on over to the gulo. I feel like a kid running to open a Christmas present. There she is, smacked perfectly behind the ears with the Belise 330. I immediately notice her amazing coloring, a vivid diamond, white tipped toes on one front foot, and a heavily spotted chest and neck. I know since its my first I get the right to say it is the BEST looking wolverine I’ve ever seen, but seriously it is colored up really well, and I couldn’t be happier. I’m amazed at the strength of the animal to take the hit she did and not only pull the trap to the end of it’s tie off, but to then bite down on the cable with her last effort. From the sign she couldn’t have lived more than two or three seconds, but she went out planning on taking down whatever had hit her.

After high fives, a few girl scout giggles, and enough photos and video to appease the T-man folk, we pack the sled and head back to the camp for some coffee and salmon strips. Then it’s off to the river to make a few beaver sets.

What a check. Four marten, and one heck of a wolverine in a total of eight sets checked!

After unloading the fur filled sled and having our warm-up drinks and snacks, we grab the chainsaw and ice spud and move on to the river. Ken has picked out a beaver feed pile that produced well for the Ol’Blister a few years back. He says the ice will be thick here, but he’s willing to split the hole making process with me. When we get to the feed bed and get a location picked out Ken gets out the chainsaw and cuts a square approximately 18” by 18”. He then cuts the interior of this outline into a grid pattern, making nine smaller squares. The first time he sinks that 20” chainsaw bar all the way to the saw, I expect a geyser of water. When that doesn’t happen I begin to wonder just how thick this ice is. After he has each individual square and the outline cut to the maximum depth of the chainsaw he stops and shuts the saw down. He hands me the spud and says my half of the work is on the bottom, and since I get to go first I get to move his half out of the way to get to mine. This guy is slick. As I go to work breaking up and prying the blocks out, Ken says he’s going to take the snow machine down river to scout some bait wood and fire wood. He tells me not to fall in the hole and drives off laughing. I take a minute to make Ken a Valentine's day present in the snow. It was supposed to be a signed heart, but I ran out of ink. (Curly later says it looks like Ken's handwritting. eek)

I hurry back to chipping ice so Ken doesnt think I was playing the whole time he was away. I feel like I’m accomplishing something, and am enjoying making the ice fly. I think my mind may have still been wondering back to this morning’s wolverine, so I didn’t notice the sound of the engine right away. When I did notice it, I thought it didn’t sound right to be the Elan. Extracting myself from the ice mine shaft I had sunk, I looked up to see that the engine belonged to Curly, well not Curly, but his Cub. I was surprised to see he was nearly on top of me before I had even heard him. I gave him a hello wave and watched as he buzzed a couple of circles and dropped in to land beside me. As he landed down wind of me and approached I could not hear a sound from him. If he hadn’t flown in from up wind originally, he could have easily landed and got within one hundred feet or so without me ever knowing. Curly taxied nearby and hopped on out. I called out to him that he was just in time as I would need his help stuffing Ken’s body down in this hole. Curly thought that was pretty funny. He offered hot coffee and we stood around catching up while we waited on Ken to return. We all three had a good visit, and I think they both enjoyed watching me chipping out what was becoming a bottomless pit. Curly even mentioned at one point, that the hole wasn’t going to dig itself and I could talk, listen, and chip ice all at the same time. That Curly, what would I do without his sage advice! When I finally broke through and nearly lost the spud, Curly said he’d better get a move on before he had to help Ken hold my ankles while I bobbed for the lost ice spud. We said our good bye's and watched him take off. I finished cleaning out the hole, all forty or so inches of it, and we set a baited trigger 330. Ken said that before we dug another hole and set snares, we’d give this trap time to determine if this was even an active feed pile. I was not sorry to hear that we’d only be chipping one hole today.

We return to the camp, and as I check on the thawing catch, Ken goes to get more gear from the shed. He calls me over a second later to show me the bait sack we’d hung in there. That @#$#%# camp raiding marten has got to go. He found a tiny gap in the window of the shed and snuck in sometime last night, stealing another chicken. His cuteness has worn off. I hated to do it but I knew what was in order. Yep you guessed it….the famous “white17 shovel set“. I figure I gave the guy ample opportunities to mend his evil ways.

Dinner consists of moose roast in gravy over noodles. Moose meat is fantastic.

Today's Oddity:

Guess this track...

Alaskan certified...
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Okiekajun] #1877436
03/07/10 04:29 PM
03/07/10 04:29 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Online content

white17  Online Content

W

McGrath, AK
Here's the tourist getting a picture of a sleeping wolverine we managed to put the sneak on.

And here he is later trying to get a drink of water from a beaver hole. I guess he never thought about melting ice or snow.

Now some of you have heard us talk about the paperbag dispatch method for wolverine. Well on an earlier catch on day two (that Okie has not told you about) I tried to teach him how to do it. I think he missed some crucial concept in the procedure. Here's the result

Mean As Nails
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: white17] #1877444
03/07/10 04:38 PM
03/07/10 04:38 PM
Idaho
I
Idtrapper Offline
trapper
Idtrapper  Offline
trapper
I

Idaho
That looks like a girl I once knew!!!
Great post - Looking forward to the next one....

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: white17] #1877451
03/07/10 04:43 PM
03/07/10 04:43 PM
albany,ohio
G
gradeone Offline
trapper
gradeone  Offline
trapper
G

albany,ohio
I believe this is better than lew and charlie!!! the track is a camp thief hauling off a bird! great read...thanks

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: white17] #1877454
03/07/10 04:45 PM
03/07/10 04:45 PM
Idaho
I
Idtrapper Offline
trapper
Idtrapper  Offline
trapper
I

Idaho
Those martin are so pale - and big , beautiful!!

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Idtrapper] #1877461
03/07/10 04:50 PM
03/07/10 04:50 PM
colorado for now
webbedmaster Offline
trapper
webbedmaster  Offline
trapper

colorado for now
Id give my left n** for that adventure, way too cool!

Last edited by webbedmaster; 03/07/10 04:51 PM.

Peggy: "Did you miss me?"
Al: "With every bullet, so far."

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: webbedmaster] #1877468
03/07/10 04:55 PM
03/07/10 04:55 PM
U.P. , MI
Northwind Offline
trapper
Northwind  Offline
trapper

U.P. , MI
Great post guys, thanks for sharing!!!

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Northwind] #1877525
03/07/10 05:30 PM
03/07/10 05:30 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Well that about finish's this story, unless these guys get chased by a moose, hung up by natives, or a sleepy bear bothers them.
How can one up the last chapter, guess a lynx or a wolf, I'll hold on abit longer LOL!!!

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  otterman