Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1943537 - 04/09/10 10:52 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Diamond-W-]
ohiosnareman Offline
trapper

Loc: N E,Ohio
Diamond-W-
The spot you had marked is a good looking intersection of features . I assume there are Coyotes there ,you will have to look for sign . I looked at the area on Google and Bing maps . I saw several very good looking places . I marked a few on the map . Set them so the wind carries the scent across the trails and good things should happen. Good luck .

#1943573 - 04/09/10 11:16 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ohiosnareman]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
OhioSnareman,
There is a trail just west of the one that you say, "This crossing looks very good" that goes through the woods and over a drainage... Do you feel you would have everything covered without setting it?

It seems to narrow down more there than the crossing you have Marked. It really attracted my eye.

#1943594 - 04/09/10 11:29 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Ohio Andy]
ohiosnareman Offline
trapper

Loc: N E,Ohio
Ohio Andy,
That is a wooden bridge that you see . I looked at Bing maps and got a very good look at the area . Both sides of the bridge would be good if the foot traffic there is not a problem . There are many places in that area to set . I only marked a few that stood out to me . Sign would of course be the determining factor. So many places , so few traps .

#1943618 - 04/09/10 11:48 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ohiosnareman]
Diamond-W- Offline
trapper

Loc: Cache Valley, UT
Awesome thanks guys!! It helps so dang much to see what you already know........ thanks for the help!!

#1943625 - 04/09/10 11:50 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ohiosnareman]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Bing maps are great. Do you use the birdseye view option? The detail is crazy with that option. I used it this morning for work to count the number of Juniper bushes along a building wall.

Thanks for the responce. I agree, that area looks pretty polluted with possible set locations.

what is your preferred set location. One where the animals objective is travel or one where the animals object is hunting? For that matter, does a coyote ever stop hunting?

#1956445 - 04/17/10 11:58 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
It does when it hit's the end of my snare! wink

#1958389 - 04/18/10 07:46 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Raccoontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: PA WMU 5C
LT, please clean out your pm box. I tried to send you one but it said you are full. Thanks, RT

#2070814 - 07/22/10 07:01 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
ScreamingCoyote Offline
trapper

Loc: iowa
Do you guys think a good number of yote can be taken from iowa? Ive been wanting to here some of your guys thoughts on this because from what ive heard you would have to travel alot of miles in order to get a good number. thanks!

#2072156 - 07/23/10 02:59 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ScreamingCoyote]
bucks Offline
trapper

Loc: Ermine Estates, Iowa
I beleive there a good numbers of yotes in Iowa, most of them are not very good yotes though, in my area anyhow. Don't see many people trapping them, quite a few hunters after them.

Go outside in the evening around some timber, or whatever habitat you have and listen for them to start howling, and yipping. I heard a siren will make them howl?

#2133686 - 09/05/10 06:23 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yes and one can purchase a tape of a siren or an actual siren to produce the same results.

#2201443 - 10/22/10 07:04 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ccary]
HGordonIII Offline
trapper

Loc: Upper Peninsula, Michigan - 28

#2202093 - 10/23/10 09:23 AM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
Downeaster Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
Here is some typical country where I trap. It consists of big blocks of paper company land with gravel haul roads as main roads and all sorts of secondary dirt road and winter haul roads. The big opening are clear cuts. North is up in the picture and prevailing winds are generally from the NNW. I like to set up road intersections, the old log yards, and roads where they enter or exit the big cuts. Red circles are where I made my sets.

#2283305 - 12/06/10 09:33 AM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Nice !

#2377295 - 01/16/11 06:02 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Trapfox Trading Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
One thing I have learned is how critical EXACT location is. Fishermen call it the "spot on the spot". In my experience, canines aren't going to alter their travels very much at all to investigate a set. You have to be very close to their travel line to start with, (contrary to some lure advertisements).

In my area, about the only sign you will find during fall trapping on bare ground are droppings. Visible tracks on dry fields and woods roads are almost non existant, so being able to predict animals movements by judging the EXACT location is critical.

The best example from my own line is a long field that runs north and south with woods bordering it on the north and west sides. There is a diversion ditch running through this field from east to west. The first year I set up at the intersection of the diversion ditch and the woods. Caught a couple of fox, but figured this farm could do better. The next year I studied the area a little more and added another couple of sets to the east along a little weed line that runs the length of the field from north to south. This was less than 50 yards east of the original location. That year, I caught 9 canines in 11 days from the new location with only a coon in the original spot. I am not sure how much better it would have done because on the 11th day the owner spread liquid manure all over that field! This location has continued to produce (although not quite as well as the first year) from year to year. My point here is that the new location was only 50 yards away from a "good spot" [b]and[/b] down wind. I am sure that most of the canines I caught could smell the original sets but didn't go out of their way to investigate.

Another example is this year, where I made a couple of sets at the tip of a classic "point" of weeds running off of a field road and into a ditch. Nothing in a week. Punched in two more sets right at the edge of the tire tracks on the field road only 30 feet from the original set. Two fox in three days. You wouldn't think 30 feet would make much of a difference (especially when lure is being used), but it does.

I guess that my point here is that learning where "general" locations is very important, getting the EXACT location is critical to success.

#2434250 - 02/09/11 03:57 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Denny, surely you have something to add...an accomplished trapper like yourself.

#2576888 - 05/10/11 09:27 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
x2!

(I guess that my point here is that learning where "general" locations is very important, getting the EXACT location is critical to success)

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#2605915 - 06/08/11 02:03 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
bigshane Offline
trapper

Loc: solomon,kansas
I use my android phone when I get new locations to trap Google earth photos zoom in on location find pinch point trails ect. Makes my time spent scouting go a lot further. You can look terrain over at home save gas. I believe it to be a very valuable tool.

#2637940 - 07/08/11 03:44 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yep, these phones they have now can almost do it all....comes with a stiff price though, no doubt!

#3188285 - 06/15/12 11:55 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
TTT

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#3193170 - 06/19/12 09:23 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Jeremy Chalk Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern, Ontario

This shows some good locations on one farm I trap. Farm lanes are almost always traveled by coyotes. Gaps in fence lines and tree lines between fields are good locations and are great locations when a farm lane runs between fields like you see in the picture. Think intersections . Also anywhere farmers put a culvert in a ditch to cross into a field is a good location.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30