Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How I skin Beavers [Re: Jacks] #182585
04/18/07 12:46 AM
04/18/07 12:46 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Ron
Possumn Skinner

I have never seen them case skinned like that. How long on the average does it take you? Is it any more diffuclt with the big ones? How does it help on the fleshing beam? Are you using a typical narrow beam or a big round one?

Ron - I'm a slow poke when it comes to skinning. LOL But I'd guess about 15 minutes or so, maybe less. Really depends how many are lying on the shed floor looking up at me! I tend to move a little quicker if I have 10, 15 or more. Also helps if I'm not dog tired and hungry!

Big, little ... no difference. Just more beaver to hoist up! And we know them lil' ones skin quick but ya gotta be more careful since it aint as much fat on'em.

When I flesh beaver it's on a 8 inch beam. Being cased just allows you to work it traditionally head to tail. Rotating around the beam. I'm sure this method isn't for everybody. And I won't claim it's any better than the bench. Just another method.

Seems faster to me sometimes, 'cause I'll go through and prep all my beavers (make my initial cuts and remove feet etc.) then just hang'em skin'em and on to the next one!

Re: How I skin Beavers [Re: ] #182719
04/18/07 08:22 AM
04/18/07 08:22 AM
Okanagan Valley BC Canada
P
Pete Offline
trapper
Pete  Offline
trapper
P

I clean skin my Beaver. Usually in 15- 20 min it is then board ready. I hate skinning them again or heavy fleshing on the beam.

Re: How I skin Beavers [Re: Pete] #182747
04/18/07 08:46 AM
04/18/07 08:46 AM
Northeastern Michigan
DannelBoone Offline OP
trapper
DannelBoone  Offline OP
trapper

Northeastern Michigan
Hey Pete
WOW your Good
Maybe you should make a ViDeo showing this fast method I leave some meat just to be safe and fleshing isn't a bother for me .
I posted this just because I have never seen any one do it in the hanging position Nor heard anyone chat about it . so I see it is helped a few guys just starting out in trapping so that was my Goul and I know the method isn't for everyone so do what works for you . best of luck . Kevin

Im WATCHIN YOU & !!LOCKED & LOADED !!

http://wildcatchtrapping.proboards.com
Re: How I skin Beavers [Re: DannelBoone] #183957
04/19/07 12:48 AM
04/19/07 12:48 AM
P
Pete Offline
trapper
Pete  Offline
trapper
P

HI Kevin
I try to clean skin all my Beaver. For me it is just easier. Then it is only a matter of nailing them out. closing the leg holes, either sewing or nailing and a few minutes for touch up then I am done. If I am out on the line and I am 60 or 70 k or 35 to 45 miles back in the bush and I have a bunch of Beaver I will rough skin them then set up another bait station or add to the nearest one and continue on.
My uncle and my cousin ran one section of their beaver line that was 115 miles one way. They caught lots of beaver. They went until they had bunch of Beaver then they would make camp and while my cousin set up my uncle would take a beaver and split it with a knife then taking a cured sharpened Moose Rib would push and pound off the hide in the old indian way over his knee using the weight of the beaver to help move the hide. Those hides were the best I ever worked with fresh from the bush.
Cheers
Pete
If ever I learn how to send pictures I will send a bunch in.

Re: How I skin Beavers [Re: Pete] #184013
04/19/07 06:52 AM
04/19/07 06:52 AM
Nebraska
C
cagemaker Offline
trapper
cagemaker  Offline
trapper
C

Nebraska
ya pete i'm with you. when i bought fur years ago i trained my workers to do it. when i was in better shape it would take me no more than 5 min. max to do a 50+ lb beaver. it would save us a lot of time when we start to put them up. this way is not for everyone. it takes a lot of practice. Dannel Boone, your way looks good also...John

Re: How I skin Beavers [Re: cagemaker] #189187
04/25/07 02:17 PM
04/25/07 02:17 PM
Northeastern Michigan
DannelBoone Offline OP
trapper
DannelBoone  Offline OP
trapper

Northeastern Michigan
well like to say Thanks to all you guys & gals who injoyed this and may have got a clue how your going to do yous .I haven't seen it done that way so thought i would try it and been doing it for 5 years now and like it this way so thanks for all the input . if I had a beaver i would do the fleshing and the works but maybe next season Take care and Good Trapping . kevin

Im WATCHIN YOU & !!LOCKED & LOADED !!

http://wildcatchtrapping.proboards.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91