Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1801667 - 02/07/10 06:58 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: remrogers]
cmr2 Offline
trapper

Loc: west central indiana
think thats what everyone has said in a hole , the part that has everyone puzzled is what are intersections in their geographial location ,not that anybody is saying anything differant what is a intersection inthe west ? what is a intersection in the midwest? ,what is a intersection in the east? this is the question that has this post unkown and endless ,most are not knowing what the differance / place to look for in the diffant terrian

#1801802 - 02/07/10 08:11 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: cmr2]
Slim Pedersen Offline
"Trapping Icon' "

Loc: N. Dakota
Bud---First do you realize how small an area 5000 acres is to a traveling coyote? Why would one want to go there? Is the 5000 acres of flat timber any different than 5000 acres of flat pasture or wheat, other than the size of the vegetation? Some places are simply not ideal habitat.

Do they travel to, and through these less than ideal habitat areas?---YES, but they do not remain there very long, and only go there rarely.

So looking at the 5000 acres as a wheat field instead of timber, what is the attraction??? something must be or they are unlikely to be there---especially in timber with deep pine needles when you realize the animals are bare foot.

Now the edges of that pine forest is something different--it is shelter and not only for the animals but the prey species as well, and edge lines always goes back to the point of entry point of exit type locations on flat ground.

Hope this makes a bit of sense and does not come across as smart criticizm as it was not intended that way. Was only wanting to make you think about things when put into perspective.

#1805114 - 02/08/10 12:02 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: bluetickkid33]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
2nd that!

I am surrounded by agriculture and I can,(for the sake of argument) make coyotes come into my yard and CATCH them in my yard...heck, I won't even have to travel to them...
I have said to Denny,( of Pa.) and several others on here, that YOU CAN MAKE A LOCATION by baiting it up..and explained just EXACTLY HOW EASY it was to do so...explained it in DETAIL. yet many never got it.....

Why they didn't go out and do it on their line is beyond me...

#1809974 - 02/09/10 08:12 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
jropreacher Offline
trapper

Loc: Central W.Va.
LT
I would say more "got it" than you think.
THANKS ....it works.

JOHN

#1810149 - 02/09/10 08:47 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
MJM Offline
trapper

Loc: ND
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
2nd that!

I am surrounded by agriculture and I can,(for the sake of argument) make coyotes come into my yard and CATCH them in my yard...heck, I won't even have to travel to them...
I have said to Denny,( of Pa.) and several others on here, that YOU CAN MAKE A LOCATION by baiting it up..and explained just EXACTLY HOW EASY it was to do so...explained it in DETAIL. yet many never got it.....

Why they didn't go out and do it on their line is beyond me...

You are 100% right LT, anyone that thinks you are wrong needs to look at the pictures I posted. Those are coyote trails going to bait stations. You don't find trails like that without bait.

#1811975 - 02/10/10 12:47 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: MJM]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yes MJM, good photos. There is a REASON why an animal makes that many tracks on top of one another, other than going to a lair.

In winter conditions, it's most always a bait!

In the winter of '83, I found 13 whitetail deer up under briars and brush by following fox tracks in the snow.

....need I say, a few of those foxes, come up misin' too ! wink

#1812089 - 02/10/10 01:29 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Rye Offline
trapper

Loc: havelock, NC
Locations for me are much like Bud was describing. I live in a fairly flat area of the coastal plains of NC. I ran into the same issues learning to hunt white tail deer. When I read book, magazines and articles, they were all based around Mid-West and Northern Big woods hunting. A lot of the information you find on Tman and in books revolves around trapping in large spaces of open grounds.
I trap in two places mainly. However, I have learned to use ditch lines and old logging roads to my advantage. I have also learned that a telephone/small power line area is a prime producer. Many othert hings like this. Pinch points caused by ditches and road coming together. Intersections, T-sections and more micro habitats.
The best piece of advice I got in locating locations here, came from Mr. Myagi/Fester, Sdavis. Look for travel routes on roads/paths, and fire breaks. All of these produce well... and they have!

This photo shows the most open area I have to work.. it's a good adaptation of pinch points, intersections, and habitat change. Doesn't matter if it's 5K acres of pine (which I do trap in) the same rules apply there. There are ditches for drainage in pine plantation. There are cutovers for habitat change, and old logging roads and fire breaks for intersections.

#1816638 - 02/11/10 08:29 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Rye]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Man, wish I could draw like you do! smile

#1817701 - 02/12/10 08:39 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Rye Offline
trapper

Google Earth photos and Paint shop rock together smile

#1817734 - 02/12/10 08:50 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Rye]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Thanks, I'll try that.
Good tip for other trappers to look at their own trapline from above.

It would work, right?

#1818311 - 02/12/10 01:37 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Yes LT it works.

Here is an aerial photo of the farms I trap:

Right at this point is where i caught a coyote:

They enter the property i am trapping at this point and follow the water way to the woodland area. They just seem to be traveling here and not really hunting. There is usually a rop change here as well. The year this pic was taken there was not.

#1818326 - 02/12/10 01:44 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Ohio Andy]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Unbelievable.....this changes things, doesn't it? smile

#1818328 - 02/12/10 01:45 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I can now explain to someone where to try on a given piece of property with this technology!

#1818369 - 02/12/10 02:02 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

The above image wasn't using google earth or Bing, it was using a GIS software. But check out Bing maps sometime. They have a birds eye view that will literally blow your mind with detail.

Check this. top center of pick, click aerial then birdseye

Bing Maps

Edited by Ohio Andy (02/12/10 02:03 PM)

#1819574 - 02/12/10 08:21 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Ohio Andy]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

So what about a spot creates that Coyote Highway? (Bait piles excluded, yes i get it LT smile ) Long travel corridoors like power and gas line right of ways... what else?

Where are the best places to find the coyotes in mid november? Regional differences apply here i assume.

#1819639 - 02/12/10 08:41 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Ohio Andy]
garett Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana

Here is a area I plan to set up.Any ideas to set it up?

#1820521 - 02/13/10 08:20 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: garett]
Rye Offline
trapper

What is the prevailing wind in that photo above?

LT< yes it changes stuff alot. To use, open GE (google earth) and find what you want to see. Then hit Ctrl and PrtSrc at the same time.

Then open "Paint" and then hit "Ctrl V" at the same time. That will put the photo in paint. Now, you can edit the photo. I usually cut the actual photo out so that the control panel for Google earth is no longer visible. then I can focus more on the area I want to see. Then use the spray can to make dots. All done. When you finished you can save as a Jpeg so it emails easier.

#1821078 - 02/13/10 12:16 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Rye]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: N. Wisconsin
How do you "cut the actual phote out"?

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

#1821098 - 02/13/10 12:28 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Kelly]
garett Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana

what about a pipeline?

#1821493 - 02/13/10 03:55 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: garett]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Highway! smile

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie