Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
BAIT - Borax as a bait preservative #17999
01/03/07 01:43 AM
01/03/07 01:43 AM
East, Kentucky
KYBOY Offline OP
trapper
KYBOY  Offline OP
trapper

East, Kentucky
Ive heard it said several times. People use one cup of borax to one gallon of meat. Who has done this? and did it work ok? Borax is derived from a natural mineral so I was wondering if it had any adverse effect on the meat. Such as a tendancy to draw unwanted animals to the set, ect?

Deep in the heart of Appalachia....
Re: Borax as a bait preservative [Re: KYBOY] #18010
01/03/07 02:01 AM
01/03/07 02:01 AM
Palestine, TX
T
texaskinner Offline
trapper
texaskinner  Offline
trapper
T

Palestine, TX
I've never heard of it, but I would think it would dry up the meat. Borax is sometimes used to preserve skins and it does this by drawing out the moisture, making it flint hard.
There's gotta be better preservatives than Borax.

Re: Borax as a bait preservative [Re: texaskinner] #18019
01/03/07 02:20 AM
01/03/07 02:20 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Works on Salmon eggs/roe....makes a good otter, mink and coon bait.

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Borax as a bait preservative [Re: Vinke] #18041
01/03/07 04:02 AM
01/03/07 04:02 AM
NORT DA KO TAHH
S
s^s Offline
trapper
s^s  Offline
trapper
S

NORT DA KO TAHH
i used it and it did preserve my ground up tainted mice...
it dident dry the bait up.. the one thing i did notice is if a coyote dug the bait out of the hole they never ate it... it would be in my set pattern.. and i did not notice it drawing unwanted animals like salt will.

Re: Borax as a bait preservative [Re: s^s] #18056
01/03/07 07:13 AM
01/03/07 07:13 AM
Nova Scotia,
woodtick Offline
trapper
woodtick  Offline
trapper

Nova Scotia,
KYBOY
I made 2 gallons up last year, using the same amounts you discribed(1 cup per gal). I used beaver meat cut into chunks and I added the borax like salting fish or meat.(a layer of beaver chucks and a coating of borax until the jar was full. I stored it in a crawl space under the house all last winter and summer until I took it out this fall in Nov.
Alas, I never got the chance to try it coyote trapping, but the day I lifted it out from under the house for use my dog was sound asleep in the bedroom at the end of the hall, when I opened the lids to take alook the smell brought him from a sound sleep and into my lap in an instant. And he loves it.
Getting it ready for use, one jar I set in an old fridge outdoors that I use for storage.(and I never checked it since) The other jar I left sitting in a back corner of the laundry room where I could put it in smaller containers and where it stayed warm, In that jar the moisture came out of the meat and turned into a nice brown gravy looking juice. As I said I never gave it much of a try on the line but the meat still has that nice beaver meat smell so it should work!

Big Wet Drops and Lots of them are a Sure Sign of Rain!
Re: Borax as a bait preservative [Re: woodtick] #18107
01/03/07 08:50 AM
01/03/07 08:50 AM
Iowa
Oldtoolsniper Offline
trapper
Oldtoolsniper  Offline
trapper

Iowa
s^s,
I noticed the same thing only it was with Jack Mackerel and coons. I added shellfish oil to mashed Jack Mackerel and the coons won't touch it except for digging it out. Mice won't even eat it. The smell of shellfish oil will bring them in but they won’t eat it. A good lesson to learn when you want the animal to really work the set and eat the bait to keep him there. Lure gets them there, bait keeps them at the set. I use bait they can eat so if I miss they will return.

“Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”
Re: Borax as a bait preservative [Re: Oldtoolsniper] #18122
01/03/07 09:09 AM
01/03/07 09:09 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Vinke said, works wonders on salmon eggs. I use it every year to cure my eggs in the fall, and keeps em good intill spring without any problems. The fish gobble them right up so I imagine it should work for you.

Here's the kind I use. I buy it at wal-mart.

Last edited by tmrschessie; 10/05/16 09:49 AM. Reason: Picture not available
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91