Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1793576 - 02/04/10 12:43 PM Location ...."on location ! "
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
I get some PM's from time to time, from trappers who still at this point, do NOT quite have it down as to what makes a location more attractive to not only the local canine population, but also the fall disperial pups.

And so, I start this thread to help those of you who still can't drive out to a property, ANY PROPERTY, and pinpoint the best place on the entire place to set one trap, if that was all you had and catch an animal that night...those are the kinds of places, I'd like trappers to explain on here, and of course photos will help others as well. if possible!

Thanks, LT

#1793590 - 02/04/10 12:52 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

No one?

#1793609 - 02/04/10 12:59 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: laurel mtman]
JTM Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah/Wyoming
I am working on getting some pictures.

I think I can help a little. We'll see.

#1793623 - 02/04/10 01:03 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: laurel mtman]
TheBest Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
well for k9s i really like pulling into a farm and to see a farm lane go stight out though the fields and then stop on the end of a crop change i love to set that loction or where 2 lanes come togather.i really pick up some red fox and coyotes on those spots.now for grey fox i look for the thickits that i would not want to walk in or wood point and set close to them for the grey.another good set would be if there is woods and then come out from them to the 1st crop change and set the high spot of it or the low spot.i will take some pic tommrow when running to show some of how i pick my spots but it just for me not saying everyone does it the same way

#1793659 - 02/04/10 01:16 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ]
JTM Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah/Wyoming
O.K. I am not going to play. Can not compete with Truman. crazy

Very good post that is about all a guy would need to get a full limit of cats here in Utah.

Great job Cameron2

#1793768 - 02/04/10 01:57 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Can anyone from the East compete with Truman?

Nice pics Cameron2. Love the google earth pics showing overall landscape of your set location.

The proper Location is a topic a we talk about alot on here. Unfortunately, it is just discussed in passing and rarely discussed in depth.

This thread could be an outstanding tool of learning for all. Thank you for starting it LT.

#1793823 - 02/04/10 02:18 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Ohio Andy]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Loc: Colorado

#1793827 - 02/04/10 02:19 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
Awsome pictures and information on location.

#1793854 - 02/04/10 02:29 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Bruce T]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Loc: Colorado

#1794994 - 02/04/10 07:12 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: sixbits]
MJM Offline
trapper

Loc: ND
Coyote

#1795369 - 02/04/10 08:47 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: MJM]
badgergirl Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Ohio
Very informative post.

#1795397 - 02/04/10 08:52 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: bluetickkid33]
K9.Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky....14y/o
whats a crap apple blue? LOL

#1797060 - 02/05/10 01:09 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: bluetickkid33]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Ha! Yep....but that P and B are no where close on the key board! smile

#1799006 - 02/06/10 01:01 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Bud Guidry]
Truevine Offline
trapper

Loc: East Texas
Mhoward needs to make a post on this - he has the eastern thing figured out - at least the southern part of the "east".

#1799280 - 02/06/10 07:52 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Truevine]
Slim Pedersen Online   content
"Trapping Icon' "

Loc: N. Dakota
I think this is a great thread, so far. However, and not wanting to pick an arguement, but it is a pet peeve of mine, this east vs west thing all the time. There is NO difference!

Study of pictures above shows how animals want to travel---terrain directs that. Vegetation changes things, not terrain. Add timber to the pictures above or fields, but the terrain remains the same. Yes, up close things look different, but not really actually, just the vegetation differences. Or as well depicted in snow pictures, cussed snow will slightly change some movements, but not overall want-to-go-travelways. (While I am thinking about it quickly--Notice the blown open grass on top of the ridge where man is standing with field glasses and coyote tracks---Would be a great place for a winter snow and blowing snow drifting most places, set, since the snow blew away and not piled on top of that spot and coyotes passed close by.)

General overall location has been well pointed out, and dropping locations are pin point areas for final trap location. Now complicate things a bit more and add weather like the snow scenes and pin point final trap locations will be directed by where you can make a set work through the weather extremes. Same can be said where it rains a good deal, as sets must be made where water then drains away and not towards.

The East vs west thing is more a climate thing, not a difference in where animals would like to travel or how they travel through general terrain---Now, I will get critcized severely, as I am going to open myself up for it here-----Locations may actually be easier in the east to pick from, as People everywhere and major roads as well as large streams force animals much more than in the west.

Grass is not greener on other side of fence troops! You are the one that needs to adapt and put things into perspective.

#1799283 - 02/06/10 07:55 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Truevine]
CBush Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
MJM--Do you snares on those coyote trails in the open fields? If so, how are you anchoring those, and, got any pics of open field snare set-ups.

Thanks

#1799565 - 02/06/10 10:06 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: CBush]
MJM Offline
trapper

I like a little more cover then is on the most of those pictures. Right now all I have is open snow with a little grass sticking up here and there, for the most part. I use stakes drove in the froze ground. The entire trail doesn't need cover for it to work. A transplanted weed stuck in the snow is about all you need.

#1799717 - 02/06/10 11:09 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: MJM]
c-h-r-i-s Offline
trapper

Loc: Maury Co. Tennessee
For me I dont have bunches of acreage to trap on. About 100 acres total. When I first walked this property I realized it was mostly all flat and open with a bunch of overgrown fencerows. Pulled it up on a map and found tractor path that connected three fields. Two of these fields were just light sage at the time and one was winter wheat. Each year I have trapped this place I picked up yotes and coons here at this intersection.

Guess to me it all boils down to finding the intersections.

#1801421 - 02/06/10 11:37 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Bud Guidry]
ccary Offline
trapper

Loc: tennessee
Bud, i'm definitely not slim but here in the east lots of deer trails are shared with yotes and other predators. a trail is a travel route leading to and from something needed, it will be shared with other animals most likely

#1801490 - 02/07/10 12:21 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: c-h-r-i-s]
remrogers Online   content
trapper

Loc: NW Oregon

Guess to me it all boils down to finding the intersections.[/quote]

Bingo!!

#1801667 - 02/07/10 06:58 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: remrogers]
cmr2 Offline
trapper

Loc: west central indiana
think thats what everyone has said in a hole , the part that has everyone puzzled is what are intersections in their geographial location ,not that anybody is saying anything differant what is a intersection inthe west ? what is a intersection in the midwest? ,what is a intersection in the east? this is the question that has this post unkown and endless ,most are not knowing what the differance / place to look for in the diffant terrian

#1801802 - 02/07/10 08:11 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: cmr2]
Slim Pedersen Online   content
"Trapping Icon' "

Loc: N. Dakota
Bud---First do you realize how small an area 5000 acres is to a traveling coyote? Why would one want to go there? Is the 5000 acres of flat timber any different than 5000 acres of flat pasture or wheat, other than the size of the vegetation? Some places are simply not ideal habitat.

Do they travel to, and through these less than ideal habitat areas?---YES, but they do not remain there very long, and only go there rarely.

So looking at the 5000 acres as a wheat field instead of timber, what is the attraction??? something must be or they are unlikely to be there---especially in timber with deep pine needles when you realize the animals are bare foot.

Now the edges of that pine forest is something different--it is shelter and not only for the animals but the prey species as well, and edge lines always goes back to the point of entry point of exit type locations on flat ground.

Hope this makes a bit of sense and does not come across as smart criticizm as it was not intended that way. Was only wanting to make you think about things when put into perspective.

#1805114 - 02/08/10 12:02 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: bluetickkid33]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

2nd that!

I am surrounded by agriculture and I can,(for the sake of argument) make coyotes come into my yard and CATCH them in my yard...heck, I won't even have to travel to them...
I have said to Denny,( of Pa.) and several others on here, that YOU CAN MAKE A LOCATION by baiting it up..and explained just EXACTLY HOW EASY it was to do so...explained it in DETAIL. yet many never got it.....

Why they didn't go out and do it on their line is beyond me...

#1809974 - 02/09/10 08:12 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
jropreacher Offline
trapper

Loc: Central W.Va.
LT
I would say more "got it" than you think.
THANKS ....it works.

JOHN

#1810149 - 02/09/10 08:47 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
MJM Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
2nd that!

I am surrounded by agriculture and I can,(for the sake of argument) make coyotes come into my yard and CATCH them in my yard...heck, I won't even have to travel to them...
I have said to Denny,( of Pa.) and several others on here, that YOU CAN MAKE A LOCATION by baiting it up..and explained just EXACTLY HOW EASY it was to do so...explained it in DETAIL. yet many never got it.....

Why they didn't go out and do it on their line is beyond me...

You are 100% right LT, anyone that thinks you are wrong needs to look at the pictures I posted. Those are coyote trails going to bait stations. You don't find trails like that without bait.

#1811975 - 02/10/10 12:47 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: MJM]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yes MJM, good photos. There is a REASON why an animal makes that many tracks on top of one another, other than going to a lair.

In winter conditions, it's most always a bait!

In the winter of '83, I found 13 whitetail deer up under briars and brush by following fox tracks in the snow.

....need I say, a few of those foxes, come up misin' too ! wink

#1812089 - 02/10/10 01:29 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Rye Offline
trapper

Loc: havelock, NC
Locations for me are much like Bud was describing. I live in a fairly flat area of the coastal plains of NC. I ran into the same issues learning to hunt white tail deer. When I read book, magazines and articles, they were all based around Mid-West and Northern Big woods hunting. A lot of the information you find on Tman and in books revolves around trapping in large spaces of open grounds.
I trap in two places mainly. However, I have learned to use ditch lines and old logging roads to my advantage. I have also learned that a telephone/small power line area is a prime producer. Many othert hings like this. Pinch points caused by ditches and road coming together. Intersections, T-sections and more micro habitats.
The best piece of advice I got in locating locations here, came from Mr. Myagi/Fester, Sdavis. Look for travel routes on roads/paths, and fire breaks. All of these produce well... and they have!

This photo shows the most open area I have to work.. it's a good adaptation of pinch points, intersections, and habitat change. Doesn't matter if it's 5K acres of pine (which I do trap in) the same rules apply there. There are ditches for drainage in pine plantation. There are cutovers for habitat change, and old logging roads and fire breaks for intersections.

#1816638 - 02/11/10 08:29 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Rye]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Man, wish I could draw like you do! smile

#1817701 - 02/12/10 08:39 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Rye Offline
trapper

Google Earth photos and Paint shop rock together smile

#1817734 - 02/12/10 08:50 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Rye]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Thanks, I'll try that.
Good tip for other trappers to look at their own trapline from above.

It would work, right?

#1818311 - 02/12/10 01:37 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Yes LT it works.

Here is an aerial photo of the farms I trap:

Right at this point is where i caught a coyote:

They enter the property i am trapping at this point and follow the water way to the woodland area. They just seem to be traveling here and not really hunting. There is usually a rop change here as well. The year this pic was taken there was not.

#1818326 - 02/12/10 01:44 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Ohio Andy]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Unbelievable.....this changes things, doesn't it? smile

#1818328 - 02/12/10 01:45 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I can now explain to someone where to try on a given piece of property with this technology!

#1818369 - 02/12/10 02:02 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

The above image wasn't using google earth or Bing, it was using a GIS software. But check out Bing maps sometime. They have a birds eye view that will literally blow your mind with detail.

Check this. top center of pick, click aerial then birdseye

Bing Maps

Edited by Ohio Andy (02/12/10 02:03 PM)

#1819574 - 02/12/10 08:21 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Ohio Andy]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

So what about a spot creates that Coyote Highway? (Bait piles excluded, yes i get it LT smile ) Long travel corridoors like power and gas line right of ways... what else?

Where are the best places to find the coyotes in mid november? Regional differences apply here i assume.

#1819639 - 02/12/10 08:41 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Ohio Andy]
garett Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana

Here is a area I plan to set up.Any ideas to set it up?

#1820521 - 02/13/10 08:20 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: garett]
Rye Offline
trapper

What is the prevailing wind in that photo above?

LT< yes it changes stuff alot. To use, open GE (google earth) and find what you want to see. Then hit Ctrl and PrtSrc at the same time.

Then open "Paint" and then hit "Ctrl V" at the same time. That will put the photo in paint. Now, you can edit the photo. I usually cut the actual photo out so that the control panel for Google earth is no longer visible. then I can focus more on the area I want to see. Then use the spray can to make dots. All done. When you finished you can save as a Jpeg so it emails easier.

#1821078 - 02/13/10 12:16 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Rye]
Kelly Offline
trapper

Loc: E. Iowa/N. Wisconsin
How do you "cut the actual phote out"?

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

#1821098 - 02/13/10 12:28 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Kelly]
garett Offline
trapper

what about a pipeline?

#1821493 - 02/13/10 03:55 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: garett]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Highway! smile

#1821936 - 02/13/10 07:10 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
garett Offline
trapper

Ok

#1826400 - 02/15/10 01:25 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: garett]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I set a good many. High and low points are top producing locations as are edges.

#1827063 - 02/15/10 05:22 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: bluetickkid33]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Both! ...and the trail in between.

#1827404 - 02/15/10 06:50 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
garett Offline
trapper

Thanks for all the help LT GREY! It is really appreciated!

#1828438 - 02/15/10 10:53 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: garett]
ohiosnareman Offline
trapper

Loc: N E,Ohio

Garett, I am sure you know to check for tracks along and crossing the forest road . The two areas I marked would also interest me .It appears that the light areas are sand pits with some sort of terrain feature between them . The other area I marked seems to show several features converging there .The resolution is not good enough for my old eyes ,but that is my best guess . Good luck to you .

#1828464 - 02/15/10 11:15 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
ohiosnareman Offline
trapper

This is one of the farms I have trapped for several decades , the trap locations have been proven winners .

One set is at the duff pile another is beyond the corn .

one of several coyotes caught at this location .

#1828471 - 02/15/10 11:20 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Bud Guidry]
ZekeMan Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Pennsylvania
[quote=Bud Guidry]i understand what your saying slim and i never thought of it this way until you just mentioned this.

where i trap you may only get permission to hit a 5000 or even a 1000 acres spot. when ya take a walk thru this stuff it all looks the same. hard to distinguish what place is best and highest odds of connecting when every trail and tree looks identical. wondering if there could be any places or even objects that could attract attention like maybe a downed old log as a scent post? something different in an otherwise endless sea of nothing.

Bud [/quote

I would start looking at the trails on the down wind edge of this piece of land, since it is pretty much void of distinctive features. Chances are they will be hunting down wind side, if there at all. I trap a few pine thickets in my area, and almost always catch the most fox near the most used game trails on down wind side. The canines will know where those trails are, and will usually investigate whenever they finally do come through an area. JMO

Edited by ZekeMan (02/15/10 11:22 PM)

#1829247 - 02/16/10 11:07 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
garett Offline
trapper

Ohiosnareman,thanks for the help.

#1831211 - 02/16/10 09:31 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: garett]
ohiosnareman Offline
trapper

I got a different view of your area . There is a trail or road that runs along the back of the clear area you showed in your post .It is a nice long feature and should get some traffic from the critters in that area .About A quarter of a mile North of the area you showed,there are a couple of roadways that might show some sign .Good luck .

#1831918 - 02/17/10 07:02 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ohiosnareman]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Technology at it's finest! smile

#1833041 - 02/17/10 03:54 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
garett Offline
trapper

Thanks for your time ohiosnareman.I am going to go ride around those areas you have pointed out.

#1833379 - 02/17/10 05:41 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Rye]
Newt Offline
trapper

Loc: Port Republic South Jersey
I think this is a great thread, so far. However, and not wanting to pick an arguement, but it is a pet peeve of mine, this east vs west thing all the time. There is NO difference!

TRUE
------------------OVER---------------

www.snareone.com

#1833718 - 02/17/10 07:28 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
V3N Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
How many times have you watched a Vid or Demo, and as he finishes the set the person looks at the camera, or group, and grins that the set will "catch the next ( whatever) that comes by"?
He's right, but how long till the next critter COMES by?
Every area has terrain features of some form, that act as funnels or fences.
Think about your own house. You have a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, living room, attic, and basement. And a front and back yard.
Let's say I want to set a trap for you, where would you be most likely to walk. The attic? Yes you go there and a set will get you but it may be months before you go up there.
Same goes for the basement. Front yard, back yard, weather will effect that activity.
It's more than likely that you will go between the food and the bedroom most often. With a side trip to the bathroom and the TV in the living room from time to time.
All I have to do is look for a spot where the paths between those areas cross.
Same goes for any critter. Find the food source, look for a water source, then look for a safe place to lay up. The trails between and around will be worth checking. Anything that effects travel between the areas like fences, swales, ditches and such will narrow the search.

"There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness."
Dave Barry

#1833961 - 02/17/10 08:18 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: V3N]
garett Offline
trapper

V3N,
That really makes me look at the location thing another way.Thanks for showing me that.

#1834039 - 02/17/10 08:35 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
ohiosnareman Offline
trapper

To get back to the question of where would you set if you were only setting one spot to get a catch the first night .Well this would be my go to place . This spot is the main intersection in this bottom . It is a large culvert across a deep ditch . There are always tracks and dropping here .I set this with two traps and had a red fox the first night this year . No picture . I caught the coyotes a few days later . I have caught fox and coyotes here every year that I have set it up .It is about as close to a sure thing as I have found .

#1834333 - 02/17/10 09:56 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Newt]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Ohiosnareman, your posts have been very informative.

#1835415 - 02/18/10 12:43 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Bud Guidry]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I have seen Newt in a few videos, point out a specif location..he seems to look for trails many times...which makes good sense.

#1836822 - 02/18/10 09:42 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
ohiosnareman Offline
trapper

Well I am still snowed in and bored so here are some more of my neighbors farms .

This one was caught in the pinch point between the woods and the grass waterway.

This one was caught at the intersection of the tractor road an the waterway .
This fox was caught to the right of the tractor road at the intersection of the waterway .
Has anyone noticed that in almost every picture I post the quarry is caught by the left foot . I am left handed myself , I wonder if that could explain it .

Edited by ohiosnareman (02/18/10 09:48 PM)

#1837860 - 02/19/10 11:41 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ohiosnareman]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Well are you off-setting it to the left...?

#1837884 - 02/19/10 11:48 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Snareman, i am sorry, but i hope you are snowed in for a while longer! grin I am learning from this. This thread has been long over due.

#1838143 - 02/19/10 01:21 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Ohio Andy]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

You are gaining from Ohiosnaremans pain ! LOL

#1838229 - 02/19/10 01:49 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
fishmax2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas, Goddard
I will show the places, that I set on this particular farm, to take a dozen coyotes in 2 weeks.

Here I set two dirtholes along the left side of road through wheat, along the drainage ditch, caught 5 in these.

Along here the road continues to weeds taller then head surrounding a small pond beside the wheat field, I set snares that I would drive over and reset upon leaving in the tire tracks

I placed a dirthole along the road on the edge in the wheat for the crop change

Three fields converged here for a dirthole

Again a crop change and a drainage hole for dirthole

Another drainage

Placed yet another dirthole here

Picked up coyotes at each one, and the drainages yielded some skunks for a bonus

#1841677 - 02/20/10 07:58 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Bud Guidry]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

You would think I would know someone called The Ohiosnareman....

Send me a PM OSM!

#1844942 - 02/22/10 03:03 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Bud Guidry]
a601er Offline
trapper

Loc: South Central Mississippi
Awesome thread, guys! Very informative. Thanks to all of you for sharing. I'm working on my contribution and hope to get it posted soon.

#1845491 - 02/22/10 09:09 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: a601er]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Looking forward to it, a601er

#1846742 - 02/22/10 07:02 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
a601er Offline
trapper

Ok guys, here we go..........

This is where I had most of my success last year. The property is approximately 50 acres but I only utilized a portion of it. From the catches I enjoyed, I suppose I picked some decent locations to set (thanks to all of you). This place yielded 9 yotes, 3 cats, and a red fox.

Oh, North is straight up! Red dots show set locations. Didn't have all locations set at once; only 5 locations at most set at any time.

Now, I never studied this topo map before selecting those set locations in the corner of that hay field and never really understood all the reasons they produced 2/3 of the coyotes I caught here. I didn't realize they were smack dab in the middle of that little saddle (one good reason) until I started putting this post together.

Comments anyone? Still consider myself a novice and want to learn all I can.

#1848574 - 02/23/10 01:08 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: a601er]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

You're teaching guys a lot, novice or not. Keep up the good work.

#1849243 - 02/23/10 06:04 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
a601er Offline
trapper

Thanks for the compliment, LT. smile I'm workin' at it.

#1853184 - 02/25/10 01:15 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: a601er]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

If trappers could "google earth" their own trapline and photocopy it, they could then mark their sets on it with a marker!

#1863198 - 03/01/10 12:53 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

...if you build it, they will come!

#1889176 - 03/12/10 04:16 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

...per mile, you may be right!

#1893204 - 03/14/10 03:02 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Summer locations will often change with summer nuisance work.
The prey specie changes and with it, the hunting tactics of the hunter.

#1932602 - 04/03/10 02:34 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: M.J. McCarty]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Add to it then...

#1938715 - 04/06/10 09:05 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
FoxSquirrel Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Missouri
I get some PM's from time to time, from trappers who still at this point, do NOT quite have it down as to what makes a location more attractive to not only the local canine population, but also the fall disperial pups.

And so, I start this thread to help those of you who still can't drive out to a property, ANY PROPERTY, and pinpoint the best place on the entire place to set one trap, if that was all you had and catch an animal that night...those are the kinds of places, I'd like trappers to explain on here, and of course photos will help others as well. if possible!

Thanks, LT

IMO, for coyote...at a gate, or where two or more fences meet. Bare ground. 2nd best...end of pond dam. Both of the above picks would use flat sets. Where old lane or logging road comes out of timber or brush and into opening is right up there too.

Heimbrock 550
Member: NTA, MTA, FTA

#1940024 - 04/07/10 03:19 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: FoxSquirrel]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

That's a great one, fox squirrel!

#1940118 - 04/07/10 04:10 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Diamond-W- Offline
trapper

Loc: Cache Valley, UT
Ok, here is a new spot I just got permission to trap.... the wind blows from the northwest and ocasionally from the NE.... help me out.... I have the spot I think is a good one pinpointed. what do you think???

Sorry its a little small on here......

Edited by Diamond-W- (04/07/10 04:13 PM)

#1940194 - 04/07/10 04:43 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Diamond-W-]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

There he goes, with that map again! smile

#1940316 - 04/07/10 05:41 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Diamond-W- Offline
trapper

O Come on Lt. How are we supposed to learn if you dont teach us?
Us new trappers I mean.

#1941695 - 04/08/10 11:42 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Bud Guidry]
Jon A Offline
trapper

Loc: IN
A dog will help find those locations above that Bud pointed out. I may be looking at somewhere else and miss this but the dog won't! Female in heat will also bring them around and "create" location or enhance one anyway. Females will mark like males when in heat so where ever she squats there's the set location.

#1943448 - 04/09/10 09:38 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Jon A]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Diamond W, said in jest! smile

I think the guys that do airel shots are pretty amazing!
Yes, I agree. Lot to learn from it!

#1943537 - 04/09/10 10:52 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Diamond-W-]
ohiosnareman Offline
trapper

Diamond-W-
The spot you had marked is a good looking intersection of features . I assume there are Coyotes there ,you will have to look for sign . I looked at the area on Google and Bing maps . I saw several very good looking places . I marked a few on the map . Set them so the wind carries the scent across the trails and good things should happen. Good luck .

#1943573 - 04/09/10 11:16 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ohiosnareman]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

OhioSnareman,
There is a trail just west of the one that you say, "This crossing looks very good" that goes through the woods and over a drainage... Do you feel you would have everything covered without setting it?

It seems to narrow down more there than the crossing you have Marked. It really attracted my eye.

#1943594 - 04/09/10 11:29 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Ohio Andy]
ohiosnareman Offline
trapper

Ohio Andy,
That is a wooden bridge that you see . I looked at Bing maps and got a very good look at the area . Both sides of the bridge would be good if the foot traffic there is not a problem . There are many places in that area to set . I only marked a few that stood out to me . Sign would of course be the determining factor. So many places , so few traps .

#1943618 - 04/09/10 11:48 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ohiosnareman]
Diamond-W- Offline
trapper

Awesome thanks guys!! It helps so dang much to see what you already know........ thanks for the help!!

#1943625 - 04/09/10 11:50 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ohiosnareman]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Bing maps are great. Do you use the birdseye view option? The detail is crazy with that option. I used it this morning for work to count the number of Juniper bushes along a building wall.

Thanks for the responce. I agree, that area looks pretty polluted with possible set locations.

what is your preferred set location. One where the animals objective is travel or one where the animals object is hunting? For that matter, does a coyote ever stop hunting?

#1956445 - 04/17/10 11:58 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

It does when it hit's the end of my snare! wink

#1958389 - 04/18/10 07:46 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Raccoontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: PA WMU 5C
LT, please clean out your pm box. I tried to send you one but it said you are full. Thanks, RT

#2070814 - 07/22/10 07:01 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
ScreamingCoyote Offline
trapper

Loc: iowa
Do you guys think a good number of yote can be taken from iowa? Ive been wanting to here some of your guys thoughts on this because from what ive heard you would have to travel alot of miles in order to get a good number. thanks!

#2072156 - 07/23/10 02:59 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ScreamingCoyote]
bucks Offline
trapper

Loc: Ermine Estates, Iowa
I beleive there a good numbers of yotes in Iowa, most of them are not very good yotes though, in my area anyhow. Don't see many people trapping them, quite a few hunters after them.

Go outside in the evening around some timber, or whatever habitat you have and listen for them to start howling, and yipping. I heard a siren will make them howl?

#2133686 - 09/05/10 06:23 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yes and one can purchase a tape of a siren or an actual siren to produce the same results.

#2201443 - 10/22/10 07:04 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ccary]
Happy Birthday HGordonIII Offline
trapper

Loc: Upper Peninsula, Michigan - 28

#2202093 - 10/23/10 09:23 AM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
Downeaster Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
Here is some typical country where I trap. It consists of big blocks of paper company land with gravel haul roads as main roads and all sorts of secondary dirt road and winter haul roads. The big opening are clear cuts. North is up in the picture and prevailing winds are generally from the NNW. I like to set up road intersections, the old log yards, and roads where they enter or exit the big cuts. Red circles are where I made my sets.

#2283305 - 12/06/10 09:33 AM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Nice !

#2377295 - 01/16/11 06:02 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Trapfox Trading Offline
trapper

Loc: WI
One thing I have learned is how critical EXACT location is. Fishermen call it the "spot on the spot". In my experience, canines aren't going to alter their travels very much at all to investigate a set. You have to be very close to their travel line to start with, (contrary to some lure advertisements).

In my area, about the only sign you will find during fall trapping on bare ground are droppings. Visible tracks on dry fields and woods roads are almost non existant, so being able to predict animals movements by judging the EXACT location is critical.

The best example from my own line is a long field that runs north and south with woods bordering it on the north and west sides. There is a diversion ditch running through this field from east to west. The first year I set up at the intersection of the diversion ditch and the woods. Caught a couple of fox, but figured this farm could do better. The next year I studied the area a little more and added another couple of sets to the east along a little weed line that runs the length of the field from north to south. This was less than 50 yards east of the original location. That year, I caught 9 canines in 11 days from the new location with only a coon in the original spot. I am not sure how much better it would have done because on the 11th day the owner spread liquid manure all over that field! This location has continued to produce (although not quite as well as the first year) from year to year. My point here is that the new location was only 50 yards away from a "good spot" [b]and[/b] down wind. I am sure that most of the canines I caught could smell the original sets but didn't go out of their way to investigate.

Another example is this year, where I made a couple of sets at the tip of a classic "point" of weeds running off of a field road and into a ditch. Nothing in a week. Punched in two more sets right at the edge of the tire tracks on the field road only 30 feet from the original set. Two fox in three days. You wouldn't think 30 feet would make much of a difference (especially when lure is being used), but it does.

I guess that my point here is that learning where "general" locations is very important, getting the EXACT location is critical to success.

#2434250 - 02/09/11 03:57 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Denny, surely you have something to add...an accomplished trapper like yourself.

#2576888 - 05/10/11 09:27 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
x2!

(I guess that my point here is that learning where "general" locations is very important, getting the EXACT location is critical to success)

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#2605915 - 06/08/11 02:03 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
bigshane Offline
trapper

Loc: solomon,kansas
I use my android phone when I get new locations to trap Google earth photos zoom in on location find pinch point trails ect. Makes my time spent scouting go a lot further. You can look terrain over at home save gas. I believe it to be a very valuable tool.

#2637940 - 07/08/11 03:44 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Yep, these phones they have now can almost do it all....comes with a stiff price though, no doubt!

#3188285 - 06/15/12 11:55 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

TTT

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#3193170 - 06/19/12 09:23 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Jeremy Chalk Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern, Ontario

This shows some good locations on one farm I trap. Farm lanes are almost always traveled by coyotes. Gaps in fence lines and tree lines between fields are good locations and are great locations when a farm lane runs between fields like you see in the picture. Think intersections . Also anywhere farmers put a culvert in a ditch to cross into a field is a good location.

#3193245 - 06/19/12 09:57 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
MNTrapperNate Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Minnesota
Any thoughts on location for coyotes and fox on this farm?
Blue- Spots where I think is good
Red- Cleared trails
Pink Circle- Carcass dump

#3193991 - 06/20/12 12:21 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
dirtholetom Offline
trapper

Loc: West Virginia
Not sure my 2 cents is worth nothin but heres what i like to do. when im looking at a new property for predator sets i look at areas i would hunt. after all we are predators too. high points over a field with a little cover or anyplace an animal could ambush its prey will be likely hunting routes any edges or transitions are good spots to start in my neck of the woods. now that youve found some travel routes you need to slow down. look around for anything that stands out in its surroundings. could be a pile of brush to a big 3 prong red oak. if it catches your eye believe me the critters know its there too. good chance you can fine good sign here. now to the important part. Set your trap on the best sign. not close to it not cause its convenient for you right on the sign so that its by god unavoidable if the critter comes through the area again. thats what i like to do at least for keying in on sign but most of all dont take a lazy approach to trapping if you want to do well just like anything in life you get what you put into it and trappin aint a lazy mans sport its hard work. hope this helps ya out.

#3194185 - 06/20/12 02:50 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
freeboro Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania
Ok, I'm looking for some guidance in an area I trap. I know coyotes are there as I've seen them and seen the sign.

I set traps in the likely locations on the one farm but have come up empty. I currently have permission in the colored (orange, green, and blue shaded) areas but can likely get permission elsewhere so look at the whole image and tell me where you think I should place sets. I really only set the green area as that's where I see the coyotes the most often, but then again, I spend the most time there.

Let me know what you think please!
Thanks!

#3194195 - 06/20/12 02:59 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"

Loc: Central Pa. 54
I would consider making sets at the red dots. I would adjust their location somewhat based on prevailing wind direction

#3203123 - 06/27/12 07:50 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
Ringbill5196 Offline
trapper

Loc: Iron Range, Minnesota
Thank you for the info and the tech-no-how.

#3388302 - 10/25/12 07:59 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Good thread trappers!

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#3389373 - 10/26/12 12:32 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
PSYS Offline
trapper

Loc: Appleton, WI
Can anyone take just a moment and take a look at this for me?
This is more or less the land I'm allowed to trap.

The oddly shaped cornfield in the middle of the screen is the bulk of the land this farmer owns.
He's advised he has seen a coyote or two before, but I've not personally seen any sign.
He's not run the combine through the land yet, so the corn is still standing over 7' tall.

Right now, those blue dots on the screen shot below are where I've set the bulk of my DP's and a handful of coilsprings.
As of this season, I've only got (1) 'coon and (1) possum. frown

In the upper portion of the screen shot, his property line does extend to a part of those woods with a small creek bed running through it. Should I be moving a couple of coilspring traps near the creek bed? See any other promising locations?
I'm still a newbie but I'm enjoying the learning experience!

#3417424 - 11/11/12 07:47 AM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Trap the edges.

That said, the area in the top right corner offers more than anywhere else.

#3417468 - 11/11/12 08:37 AM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
tjm Offline
trapper

Loc: jane, mo., usa
I'd not be able to pass on the creek bed, look for trails at all the 'corners'

#3417779 - 11/11/12 01:29 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
STEEL NECK TIE Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast Missouri
Top left corner where the two tracks go into the other field look pretty good too.

#3525612 - 12/31/12 10:00 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Highway ! wink

#3733057 - 03/29/13 04:39 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
J_M Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota

#3733960 - 03/30/13 07:23 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Bruce old guy Offline
trapper

Very great information. The only thing that I can add for you beginers is to get out when you have a lite snow on the ground this will give you a good idea of the areas that the coyote and fox are traveling and show you the travel routes and pinch points. After you learn these locations you can go into all most any farm and pick these locations out. been doing this for over 40 years. Don't trap as much any more but caught 41 yotes this last season in two weeks. Ya got to love it or you will never do it

#3735999 - 03/31/13 11:19 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

True statement right there !

#3736567 - 03/31/13 06:51 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Fudd Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
New to the k-9, world but like Dirtholetom stated above, I was told to set on sign. This year I finally got what it meant after having Mark June explain what setting on sign means. Season started slow, but every time I found scat or tracks a set went in. By end of season I could look at the lay of the land, drive to where I expected to find sign, set it and expect a 10% catch rate on my 20 trap hobby line. Guess what I'm saying is, if your learning and the guys that have been doing it for a while say something, do it. I was also told to keep notes and now that season is over I can look at the notes and sat photo's and understand why things worked out the way they did. Just my .02.

#4075195 - 10/25/13 09:16 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
smithco. trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: lebanon,tn
TTT

Coon 0/40
Mink 0/5
muskrat 0/20
Beaver 0/10
Otter 0/1

#4136469 - 11/25/13 08:47 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Raccoontrapper]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Raccoontrapper
LT, please clean out your pm box. I tried to send you one but it said you are full. Thanks, RT

Cleaned out, sorry

#4138435 - 11/26/13 08:59 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
330-Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
Yes and one can purchase a tape of a siren or an actual siren to produce the same results.

download this for Free on your Android phone, and its LOUD too!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andromo.dev15759.app15042&hl=en

#4139470 - 11/27/13 12:21 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: LT GREY]
Spur Offline
trapper

Loc: South Central Pa
Here is some information I pass along to the kids I talk to in Hunter Ed Classes or Seminars I do with the Pa. Trappers Assn. I'm asked a lot about picking locations for fox and coyotes.
There is as much or more to be learned about picking locations here in Pa. in the month of March than any other time of the year.
In March we get a lot of 2 or 3 inch snows that only last a few days. When you find tracks this time of the year you can bet they are fairly fresh and the wet snow takes tracks that are more easily identified that those in dryer snow.
Next, most of the dispersals are over for the year and the hunting and trapping seasons are closed ( coyotes can be hunted all year long) so most of the critters you find at this time will be here next season.
Not much going on in March so you have time to get out and do some homework. Go to the properties you have permission to trap. Stop and chat a little with the owners, ask where they have been seeing critters since season end. A small chat once in a while does wonders for owner/trapper relations. Find some tracks that are crossing the property. Follow the tracks from border to border of the property. Look at where the tracks enter the property, what land marks they head toward, where they stop to check things out, where they pee, and where they leave the property. Do this for all the properties you have permissions.
If you do this for 4 or 5 properties you will soon see what the guys above are talking about as far as crop changes, drainage ditches, field edges, intersections, field elevations and natural travel routes. It won't be long that you will be able to pull into a new property, head toward similar features and know there will be sign there before you even leave the truck. Even if the critter you are tracking gets hit with a truck before next season the others that follow will travel the same routes.
The last thing isn't always the most popular with some of the kids and a lot of adults. I tell them that the only short cut to becoming a good trapper is spending a lot of boot leather. If they aren't willing to put some effort into educating themselves they may as well stay home with their game controllers. These computer forums are great but unless they are going to go in the field and put this knowledge to use, practice it, play with it, and improve on it, it isn't going to help much.
What did the old trapper say to the kid 'the only thing I know for sure is those traps ain't going to catch much in the back of the truck sonny'.

#4294271 - 02/05/14 06:37 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: RiversNorth13]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: RiversNorth13
Good thread trappers!

I wish I knew how take those photographs !

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30