Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1793576 - 02/04/10 12:43 PM Location ...."on location ! "
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
I get some PM's from time to time, from trappers who still at this point, do NOT quite have it down as to what makes a location more attractive to not only the local canine population, but also the fall disperial pups.

And so, I start this thread to help those of you who still can't drive out to a property, ANY PROPERTY, and pinpoint the best place on the entire place to set one trap, if that was all you had and catch an animal that night...those are the kinds of places, I'd like trappers to explain on here, and of course photos will help others as well. if possible!

Thanks, LT

#1793590 - 02/04/10 12:52 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

No one?

#1793609 - 02/04/10 12:59 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: laurel mtman]
JTM Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah/Wyoming
I am working on getting some pictures.

I think I can help a little. We'll see.

#1793623 - 02/04/10 01:03 PM Re: Location ...."on location ! " [Re: laurel mtman]
TheBest Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
well for k9s i really like pulling into a farm and to see a farm lane go stight out though the fields and then stop on the end of a crop change i love to set that loction or where 2 lanes come togather.i really pick up some red fox and coyotes on those spots.now for grey fox i look for the thickits that i would not want to walk in or wood point and set close to them for the grey.another good set would be if there is woods and then come out from them to the 1st crop change and set the high spot of it or the low spot.i will take some pic tommrow when running to show some of how i pick my spots but it just for me not saying everyone does it the same way

#1793659 - 02/04/10 01:16 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ]
JTM Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah/Wyoming
O.K. I am not going to play. Can not compete with Truman. crazy

Very good post that is about all a guy would need to get a full limit of cats here in Utah.

Great job Cameron2

#1793768 - 02/04/10 01:57 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Can anyone from the East compete with Truman?

Nice pics Cameron2. Love the google earth pics showing overall landscape of your set location.

The proper Location is a topic a we talk about alot on here. Unfortunately, it is just discussed in passing and rarely discussed in depth.

This thread could be an outstanding tool of learning for all. Thank you for starting it LT.

#1793823 - 02/04/10 02:18 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Ohio Andy]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Loc: Colorado

#1793827 - 02/04/10 02:19 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: ]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
Awsome pictures and information on location.

#1793854 - 02/04/10 02:29 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Bruce T]
sixbits Offline
trapper

Loc: Colorado

#1794994 - 02/04/10 07:12 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: sixbits]
MJM Offline
trapper

Loc: ND
Coyote

#1795369 - 02/04/10 08:47 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: MJM]
badgergirl Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Ohio
Very informative post.

#1795397 - 02/04/10 08:52 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: bluetickkid33]
K9.Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky....14y/o
whats a crap apple blue? LOL

#1797060 - 02/05/10 01:09 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: bluetickkid33]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Ha! Yep....but that P and B are no where close on the key board! smile

#1799006 - 02/06/10 01:01 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Bud Guidry]
Truevine Offline
trapper

Loc: East Texas
Mhoward needs to make a post on this - he has the eastern thing figured out - at least the southern part of the "east".

#1799280 - 02/06/10 07:52 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Truevine]
Slim Pedersen Offline
"Trapping Icon' "

Loc: N. Dakota
I think this is a great thread, so far. However, and not wanting to pick an arguement, but it is a pet peeve of mine, this east vs west thing all the time. There is NO difference!

Study of pictures above shows how animals want to travel---terrain directs that. Vegetation changes things, not terrain. Add timber to the pictures above or fields, but the terrain remains the same. Yes, up close things look different, but not really actually, just the vegetation differences. Or as well depicted in snow pictures, cussed snow will slightly change some movements, but not overall want-to-go-travelways. (While I am thinking about it quickly--Notice the blown open grass on top of the ridge where man is standing with field glasses and coyote tracks---Would be a great place for a winter snow and blowing snow drifting most places, set, since the snow blew away and not piled on top of that spot and coyotes passed close by.)

General overall location has been well pointed out, and dropping locations are pin point areas for final trap location. Now complicate things a bit more and add weather like the snow scenes and pin point final trap locations will be directed by where you can make a set work through the weather extremes. Same can be said where it rains a good deal, as sets must be made where water then drains away and not towards.

The East vs west thing is more a climate thing, not a difference in where animals would like to travel or how they travel through general terrain---Now, I will get critcized severely, as I am going to open myself up for it here-----Locations may actually be easier in the east to pick from, as People everywhere and major roads as well as large streams force animals much more than in the west.

Grass is not greener on other side of fence troops! You are the one that needs to adapt and put things into perspective.

#1799283 - 02/06/10 07:55 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Truevine]
CBush Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
MJM--Do you snares on those coyote trails in the open fields? If so, how are you anchoring those, and, got any pics of open field snare set-ups.

Thanks

#1799565 - 02/06/10 10:06 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: CBush]
MJM Offline
trapper

Loc: ND
I like a little more cover then is on the most of those pictures. Right now all I have is open snow with a little grass sticking up here and there, for the most part. I use stakes drove in the froze ground. The entire trail doesn't need cover for it to work. A transplanted weed stuck in the snow is about all you need.

#1799717 - 02/06/10 11:09 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: MJM]
c-h-r-i-s Offline
trapper

Loc: Maury Co. Tennessee
For me I dont have bunches of acreage to trap on. About 100 acres total. When I first walked this property I realized it was mostly all flat and open with a bunch of overgrown fencerows. Pulled it up on a map and found tractor path that connected three fields. Two of these fields were just light sage at the time and one was winter wheat. Each year I have trapped this place I picked up yotes and coons here at this intersection.

Guess to me it all boils down to finding the intersections.

#1801421 - 02/06/10 11:37 PM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: Bud Guidry]
ccary Offline
trapper

Loc: tennessee
Bud, i'm definitely not slim but here in the east lots of deer trails are shared with yotes and other predators. a trail is a travel route leading to and from something needed, it will be shared with other animals most likely

#1801490 - 02/07/10 12:21 AM Re: Location ....on location ! [Re: c-h-r-i-s]
remrogers Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Oregon

Guess to me it all boils down to finding the intersections.[/quote]

Bingo!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie