Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#172413 - 04/09/07 07:32 PM Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've heard of a lot of guys making pockets and such before season starts, and also pre-staking for coon & mink lines. Which would speed up the setting time, thus being able to get more sets out on opening day or whatever.

I plan on running a decent sized coyote line during my Thanksgiving break, which will allow me to have traps out for exactly 11 nights, so getting out all the sets as fast as I can to up my chances will help with my overall catch, obviously, lol :). I'll probably run around 50 traps or so. I'm curious if I went out a week before I planned on setting my line and started digging dirtholes and trap beds in locations where I planned on making sets the following week if that would make my sets at a disadvantage to me? Of course these wouldn't be lured or baited, just dirt slung around. Would this take away the curiosity of the set and possible approach from a canine.

Say you have your trap bed dug and your hole dug, non baited/lured, and a fox/coyote comes a long to check it out. Then next week you roll through setting, and baiting/luring. Will the possibility of the coyote/fox working the set increase or decrease? Keep in mind he's already been there once, but now the 2nd time, it smells good. lol

The reason I ask, is because I don't know if I'll be able to get out 50 sets in a day without killing myself and looking to help my time at the set decrease.

Which also brings me to think that if I leave my scent there a week before, and the next time I'm along, will the coyotes/fox grow accustome to it and not think twice about smelling out this hole again when properly baited/lured.

Or just how much do you believe the new hole/dirt look actually grabs the coyote and brings him to the set?

Please Discuss, I know I've brought up a lot, but give me your opinions.

Edited by Nick C (04/09/07 07:35 PM)

#172419 - 04/09/07 07:40 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: ]
mallard_drake85 Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Illinois
my bro and i have done this for some years now w/ out any foul results. we normally catch mainly coon and possums for the first couple of nights before we are able to catch coyotes.

about a week ahead of time we put out stakes, chains, swivels, bait,everything but the trap. then when season comes in, we are only at each set for only a minute or so to set the trap and freshen up the set. we then return every other day or so, replacing the bait that was taken by coyotes, coon, and possums.

we feel that this has helped us get more traps out over the years, which in turn i feel that we have caught more animal.

just my 3 cents

mallard_drake85

Edited by mallard_drake85 (04/09/07 07:42 PM)

#172427 - 04/09/07 07:43 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: ]
Palerider Offline
trapper

Loc: Mo.
Anytime I dig a dirthole I wanted it guarded with a steel dog.I think when a coyote checks out an empty dirthole,much of the interest is gone the next time around.

Edited by Palerider (04/09/07 07:43 PM)

#172432 - 04/09/07 07:48 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: Palerider]
Billy Y Offline
trapper

Loc: South Central Kansas
I pre dug all my trap beds including the dirt hole during a coule days prior to season open. Also drove the cable stakes. No lure of course. Just put the loose, chopped up dirt back into the bed hole and pray it don't rain before season starts - lol.

Saves a lot of time but I think that if you did it too early prior to season open the curiousity factor of the disturbed dirt would fade.

#172450 - 04/09/07 07:57 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: Billy Y]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Appreciate your replies guys.

I'm curious if there is anyone out there that has tested this "theory" from season to season, and has seen an obvious or even a little bit of refusal due to pre dug holes/trap beds.

#172454 - 04/09/07 07:58 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: mallard_drake85]
Coyote1263 Offline
trapper

Loc: Fisher,Ill 4or5yrs
Nick C,If your gonna do it for yotes stay out towards the middle of a section with just fence rows and start say a month before the season.They travel far enough in a night they'll find it before the season and come back.If you prebait in an area with trees and water close by you get into skunks,grinners,coons.I always drilled holes with an old ice auger,throwed in some small hunks of road kill deer,covered up with dirt.Use small pieces so they have to keep coming back or they clean ya out in one night.I got some good pics if ya want to see'm.Of 3 stations I had I took 29 yotes,10-10-9.Its been three months after the season was over and there are yote tracks stiil all over.I quit rebaiting about a week before season started.Hope this helps.Foregot to say you can even use your bait hole for a set.I just went out on the travel lines and used dirt holes and trench sets.

Edited by Coyote1263 (04/09/07 08:01 PM)

#172462 - 04/09/07 08:01 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: ]
Billy Y Offline
trapper

Loc: South Central Kansas
Don't have that many years under my belt to give a year-to-year trend but after I made the sets I doubled my first check. Didn't have hardly any refusals and caught a total of eight coyotes out of 10 sets within the first 10 days.

Keep in mind that this was right at the beginning of the season.

#172464 - 04/09/07 08:02 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: Coyote1263]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pics are always welcome on my posts! lol

#172484 - 04/09/07 08:12 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: ]
conibear1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Heart of Minnesota
I do it and I know it works great!! I also pre-bait! Dead mice from the shed and garage. Ol' Roy works great too! Don't worry about the skunks. They will be there before anything whether you pre-dig or pre-bait. No traps or stakes though. It is a "no-no" here.

#172488 - 04/09/07 08:14 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: conibear1]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I was thinking of maybe just digging the dirtholes and trap bed, driving my disposable stake, then when coming through setting, I'll just attach the trap, bed, sift, bait/lure, and be down the road to the next location.

#172544 - 04/09/07 09:10 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL You've got me there

#172547 - 04/09/07 09:14 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: ]
V3N Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
Check the local laws, that's illegal in Indiana for example.

"There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness."
Dave Barry

#172550 - 04/09/07 09:16 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: V3N]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks V3N, We can pre-stake & pre-dig here in Iowa.

#172646 - 04/09/07 10:45 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

TTT

#172661 - 04/09/07 10:56 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: ]
mike jerrell Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi

If I planned on making 50 dry sets in one day, I need to pre dig, Pre dig my grave cause thats where I would wind up.

#172733 - 04/10/07 01:59 AM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: mike jerrell]
Coyote1263 Offline
trapper

Loc: Fisher,Ill 4or5yrs
Nick,I didn't have time to elaborate at work.lol But your idea is good.I am going to prebait at all my locations next year,just one 7 inch hole baited every 3 to 5 days.Once they know,they will come.It's best to set somewhat away from your bait hole at first because yotes are leary,even though your working on a conditioned response they will circle out say 25feet at first,maybe a couple days.You'll see scratch marks and scat around the perimeter.When yotes are use to it they'll dig your bait hole out twice as big!This will be good if your wanting to get a lot of traps out quick,I'd say gang set at least 5 to 6 traps with in a 100 yds on travel routes to your bait hole.It's a good idea to stay away from areas of grinners,stinkers and coons.I like out in the middle of nowhere,any where the farmers aren't gonna till.If your ahead of the season yotes will find it.Quit put'n bait in the hole a few days before the season opener.Also when you bait the hole before season apply a little of your bait or lure around so they are use to it.

#172915 - 04/10/07 09:01 AM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: Coyote1263]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nick I'd let the weather decide for me. If its going to rain then freeze the ground so its like chopping a block of steel then I'd say pre-dig them. If it's going to be dry and easy digging I'd wait. Since you have such a limited time span that can't be altered, you'll need to do all you can....

better yet though if it freezes and makes setting k9 traps difficult, set mink traps you'll catch more of them anyway. lol

~ADC~

#173000 - 04/10/07 10:46 AM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh I'll be running mink sets too ADC

I want to be able to actually catch something while I'm coyote trapping! lol

#173025 - 04/10/07 11:01 AM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: ]
snaringamerica Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
I might try this on my water line for next season. I will still dig my land line on the day I set the traps. In PA it is illegal to stake traps prior to 8am on the opening day, that doesn't mean we can't drive the stakes in the ground without the trap. I plan on using alot of pockets and PVC this coming season.

#173637 - 04/10/07 06:42 PM Re: Advantages of Pre-Digging? Trap Beds & Dirt Holes [Re: snaringamerica]
Anonymous
Unregistered

TTT Anyone else want to speak their piece?

Moderator:  tmrschessie