Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1694877 - 12/30/09 05:44 PM Re: Snare Shapes : Teardrop vs Round [Re: Gage Drift]
jrt Offline
trapper

Loc: marion va
thanks for all the replies
RACOON 12
POSSUM 1
BOBCAT 0

#1695068 - 12/30/09 06:42 PM Re: Snare Shapes : Teardrop vs Round [Re: jrt]
Medlaketrap Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
Ok, I know, Im an idiot rookie,,,lol, what does the term Loaded Snare exactly mean? Any pictures comparing loaded vs. non loaded?
Roman

#1695152 - 12/30/09 07:10 PM Re: Snare Shapes : Teardrop vs Round [Re: Medlaketrap]
Drakej Offline
trapper

Loc: Kanabec Cty, MN
I don't use loaded snares because of over abundance of deer. Though I am not setting in "deer" trails(illegal here) deer eventually go just about everywhere not displacing snares as fast as I can place them. So I put a jump branch(often my drag) over every snare in case. I also secure my snares a little more than most to keep in place(I use small hooks from 32g floral wire). I miss an animal or two walk thru but my snares stay 90% in place rather than 90% dropped. And they are placed in such heavy cover that I don't see evidence of animal refusing to pull snare closed. You can make a pretty round snare loop w/ 1x19 cable without loading.

#1697091 - 12/31/09 03:47 PM Re: Snare Shapes : Teardrop vs Round [Re: Drakej]
jagenlaxer Offline
trapper

Loc: maryland
Hey could one of you more experience guys please explain loading snares a little bit more? I understand that loading a snare changes its shape from teardrop to round, but i don't understand exactly how this happens. Its my understanding that you basically work the work the snare back and forth across a nail or something similar but never having done it i don't understand what i would be trying to accomplish. Since i obviously don't have any idea how or what i would be doing if one of you oh wise snareman could impart a little bit of wisdom it would be greatly appreciated.

#1697118 - 12/31/09 03:57 PM Re: Snare Shapes : Teardrop vs Round [Re: jagenlaxer]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
No, not "back and forth" as that will cause it to curl like a ram's horn.
You are only doing the back 8" or so and always in the same direction.
One or two times will do..and that would depend on the preasure one puts on it.
You hold the snare at 12 o'clock and 5 o'clock and turn it to the left like you're turning a steering wheel.
Do it slow until you get the hang of it, or you will ruin your snare.

Once you get the hang of it, you can do it without even looking.

I use a 1/2" t-bar stake in a vice to do mine.

#1697136 - 12/31/09 04:03 PM Re: Snare Shapes : Teardrop vs Round [Re: LT GREY]
jagenlaxer Offline
trapper

Loc: maryland
Thanks Lt! sure glad i didn't ruin my snares before i had a chance to hang them

#1697190 - 12/31/09 04:23 PM Re: Snare Shapes : Teardrop vs Round [Re: jagenlaxer]
Newt Offline
trapper

Loc: Port Republic South Jersey
Loaded snares for me.
They close faster.
Better neck catches.
Most novice snareman set their snares too low.
------------------OVER---------------

www.snareone.com

#1697278 - 12/31/09 04:46 PM Re: Snare Shapes : Teardrop vs Round [Re: Newt]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
I should have said that, at least for me, it is easier to load 1x19 cable than 7x7 aircraft cable, as it is stiffer to begin with...@ least IMO.

#1697311 - 12/31/09 04:56 PM Re: Snare Shapes : Teardrop vs Round [Re: MJM]
BobTail Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central , MN 40+
Originally Posted By: MJM
I also feel having it hooked up solid to the support is more important then the shape. The animal pulls the snare shut. It doesn't matter what shape it is if they don't touch it on the way through.

I agree 100% with MJM. I believe a solid support is crucial to a fast loop closure. I have hip caught em and curse myself every time. I know better smaller loop is better.

#1697315 - 12/31/09 04:57 PM Re: Snare Shapes : Teardrop vs Round [Re: LT GREY]
Manny Offline
trapper

Loc: New Mexico
All i have to said ....very good topic!!

Edited by Manny (12/31/09 07:54 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  tmrschessie