Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 24 of 26 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1752026 - 01/20/10 10:50 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: chucky22250]
Northof50 Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba
Those Royal Royce traps go for $ 10 bucks up here.
thgreenwing , weasels sometimes like SEE throughs, so maybe a hole in the back might help, lets the odour get out as well. Since there is no blood on the box, expect next time I see this,after the wkn, there will be....mustelidae blood in a pic.

#1752289 - 01/21/10 06:38 AM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: chucky22250]
2poor Offline

Loc: Lake Mille Lacs , MN
Originally Posted By: chucky22250
2poor how much did the plastic rodent traps cost?

I bought that several years ago. I figured it was easy for the kids to work with as you just rock the top of the trap back over center and it is set.

I believe I payed about $5

It is a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job !

http://mooseriverlures.com/

#1752388 - 01/21/10 07:40 AM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Northof50]
thgreenwing Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By: squirrelchaser
Those Royal Royce traps go for $ 10 bucks up here.
thgreenwing , weasels sometimes like SEE throughs, so maybe a hole in the back might help, lets the odour get out as well. Since there is no blood on the box, expect next time I see this,after the wkn, there will be....mustelidae blood in a pic.

what about just some small holes in the back. I like one trap in a box so will just some small holes work?

#1752670 - 01/21/10 10:31 AM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: thgreenwing]
Swamp Walker Offline
trapper

Loc: Palmer, Alaska
Yeah, some small holes in the back might really help if you are having problems with refusals, like seeing tracks right next to the entrance hole but the animal wouldn't go in.

Maybe about 3/8" diameter, just so they can see some daylight.

How much are weasels attracted to sound? If not for the cost, I would really like to try one of those electronic all-weather squeakers that GritGuy sells on here.

#1753020 - 01/21/10 01:30 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Swamp Walker]
Northof50 Offline
trapper

Weasels are the first predator to come into when I am pred calling, well actually right behind the horned owls that is.
Play one at a bait site and see what happens.

#1753039 - 01/21/10 01:41 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Northof50]
Swamp Walker Offline
trapper

Loc: Palmer, Alaska
I just might do that. Maybe set a few #4 traps there too for larger critters, and justify the expense cool

#1754711 - 01/21/10 09:47 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Trapper Knox]
crazyweasel Offline
trapper

Loc: Osseo, Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Trapper Knox
This was probably already mentioned, but I'm to lazy to read this thread grin whats the best anti-freeze to keep your bait from freezing? As yall mentioned you want to use bloody bait, so should i used some glycrin or somethin?

Trapper Knox
I do not believe you need to worry too much about frozen bait! If you use the tried and true method of preping your bait with anise and use a good lure in the vicinity, you will catch lots of weasels on rock hard frozen bait.There is plenty of odor in that box and you are snapping him before he knows the condition of the bait
I have caught lots of ermine on old dry bait that looks like dried jerkey
I still advocate adding fresh bait as often as convenient but no need to make it an obligation
Some of the literature suggests using salt to keep things thawed. I do not believe this would be helpful as it cures flesh and alters its natural odor.

#1762064 - 01/24/10 04:40 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: crazyweasel]
Drakej Offline
trapper

Loc: Kanabec Cty, MN
Got the first bunch of my ermine put up and off to NAFA(about a third of my catch so far). No for sure contest winner yet. Have caught several that I thought were "way" larger but all put up they vary very little more than 1/4" in length.

#1762181 - 01/24/10 05:12 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Drakej]
ottertrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan, United States
Nice job on the weasels! Still running boxes in MN? They have been on the move here in MI the past few weeks with the nice weather. Congrats!

OT

#1763750 - 01/25/10 04:10 AM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: ottertrapper]
Northof50 Offline
trapper

Good catch laid out there.

#1763946 - 01/25/10 07:39 AM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Northof50]
2poor Offline

Very nice catch Drake ! Looks like you will hand me my hiney this year in the Weasel woods.

I have yet to peel even one !

#1765766 - 01/25/10 06:43 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: 2poor]
crazyweasel Offline
trapper

Loc: Osseo, Minnesota
Drake
This photo speaks well for your trapping and photography skills! You sure found a honey of an area! Your County even puts up a big black steak to mark the culverts and you never have to go more than about 10 paces from the truck,and best of all, they are about 1/4 mile apart in prime habitat on a straight road! LOL

Kool!

#1765782 - 01/25/10 06:47 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Drakej]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
Originally Posted By: Drakej
Got the first bunch of my ermine put up and off to NAFA(about a third of my catch so far). No for sure contest winner yet. Have caught several that I thought were "way" larger but all put up they vary very little more than 1/4" in length.

Nice catch and great handling job.

#1765983 - 01/25/10 07:30 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Bruce T]
Northof50 Offline
trapper

You are splitting the tails, there will be a happy grader now.

#1766024 - 01/25/10 07:37 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Northof50]
butcha Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Canada
Nice put up, and a great catch!That's a lot of culvert hopping!

#1766615 - 01/25/10 10:21 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: butcha]
Drakej Offline
trapper

Heavy hard snow, melt water and snowmobiles have eliminated about 50% of my culvert setting so I have been hitting the heavy cover, cattails and ditches away from the roads(lot more work) with some success. Been having several misses w/ ermine musk present last couple of runs(9 in one run). Only two misses whole rest of season. This happened late season last year as well. I don't know if this is a pattern or why it might be happening. Have four styles of boxes and is occurring in all. Anyone else seeing this?

#1768787 - 01/26/10 06:26 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Drakej]
Northof50 Offline
trapper

Are the little boys decended yet, with some dark fur around them ends. Marking territory when they smell another weasel(old trapped weasel) would be my guess.
New box & no prior spray would tell you if this was so.

#1771957 - 01/27/10 08:21 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Northof50]
Drakej Offline
trapper

Here's pics from earlier this season when Crazyweasel came along for the day on the ermine line for a little comradery. Cold but a sunny windless day. The weather "true" MN's live for(keeps away the killer bees). All photos courtesy of Crazyweasel(I waive all rights and knowledge of their existence-unless they're worth money). Hope you enjoy and not too many.

One of my four type boxes. Fits raised bar and modified wood traps.

"Caught with the goods"

Supersized "Culvert". I have caught ermine from 6" ones to this. What they lead between is what is most important.

"Anticipation".

Always what you want to find. Maybe a little bigger.

This size.

Marked culvert in good ermine habitat.

Modified wood trap in vinyl box.

"Perfect catch".

Can't catch one in every box - but I'm working at it.

Almost a box full. Don't believe this type box would hold a Longtail.

Reversed raised bar trap take more large ermine than "pan to hole" direction, which seems to just wack them on the head and not always get a head hold. Took a couple dead ermine found with bloody nose outside box to learn that lesson.

"Ermine ball"

No crushed skulls.

I love the raised bar style trap design but unfortunately they are expensive and not made to last(especially in severe cold). This one is going to need a wash.

The 2poor catch. Always nice.

Do you guys(and/or gals) place your trap "tight" to hole? I'm experimenting.

Experimental "periscope" box. Most shrew resistant design yet, but some ermine refusal as well. Still testing and seeing which style trap works with it best.

Always hang a little cable on the weekend if I can. The day before our run I was up with the kids for winter paintball so I put a couple snares out. This guy almost made it thru clean(rear foot catch). It's hard to have a loop perfect for both Reds and greys. Greys are as slick as cats.

Perfect specimen for the Taxi-man.

I know that guy with the grandpa hat is in most every picture(must have a good agent) but whenever we tried to get one with Crazyweasel the camera "froze", literally. And when we asked a curious driverbye if he wanted to get in one he insinuated we were crazy. Like what would you expect from grown men, crawling around in the snow, in the ditch, on a sub zero day, trying to catch a weasel? Smile when you picture that.

#1771999 - 01/27/10 08:31 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: Drakej]
2poor Offline

Excellent pictures Drake errrrr I mean Jim !!

#1772022 - 01/27/10 08:36 PM Re: 2009 weasel thread [Re: 2poor]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
Nice pictures.

Page 24 of 26 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie