Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#16287 - 01/01/07 10:28 PM GLANDS - Drying and Selling Beaver Castor
thrstyunderwater Offline
trapper

Loc: Logan Utah
Can someone post some advice on removing beaver castor and oil sacs, drying them and then selling them. I'm gonna give it a shot this year and was wondering how much castor is normally worth as well as the oil sacs. Thanks

#16303 - 01/01/07 10:40 PM Re: Drying and Selling Beaver Castor [Re: thrstyunderwater]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Lot of lure maker's like buying them fozen, might check with some of them before starting out, sorry i don't have any photo's showing removal of them.

Last year castors ran around 11.00 or so a lb. , oil sac's 3.00 a lb.

#16336 - 01/01/07 11:20 PM Re: Drying and Selling Beaver Castor [Re: Jtrapper]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
Heres a pic of the castors and sac freed from the skin and ready to cut out. I usually dry mine for 3 day or so until the outside is leathery then freeze them.

#16365 - 01/02/07 12:04 AM Re: Drying and Selling Beaver Castor [Re: KYBOY]
bctrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Prince George, BC Canada
Use paper towel or wool sock to remove any tissue especially meat from the castors. Hang them up so they start to dry. soft but leathery. turn them over to make sure any spots that were touching are drying. Put them in a zip lock until you have a pound or more then sent to NAFA agent for sale.

#16384 - 01/02/07 01:22 AM Re: Drying and Selling Beaver Castor [Re: bctrapper]
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! No zip lock. They will spoil within hours.

Store them in an onion sack. Tie the opening shut (twist tie or string)so as not to lose any of the precious liquid.

#16398 - 01/02/07 03:51 AM Re: Drying and Selling Beaver Castor [Re: thrstyunderwater]
Wade Lacey Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
This should help you,it is in the basic sets section of this forum.

http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/beaver_castor_removal.html

#16541 - 01/02/07 08:49 AM Re: Drying and Selling Beaver Castor [Re: beaverpeeler]
snaringamerica Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: beaverpeeler
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! No zip lock. They will spoil within hours.

I think he meant put in a liplock bag in the freezer. That way they will not spoil, but I do recommend the onion bag for keeping them out of the freezer.

Edited by snaringamerica (01/02/07 08:52 AM)

Moderator:  tmrschessie