Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#160859 - 03/31/07 07:15 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: NDlongliner]
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming
Now this is the way a post is supposed to go. Forget the argueing and if you want to degrade or argue then stay off the post and argue with yourself.

#160949 - 03/31/07 08:41 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: huntinglonewolf]
WildCat Offline
trapper

Loc: Oklahoma
What color shingle is best? Brown Black? or does it mater? Most of the places I trap are full of cattle the cats and cows run the trails thru the woods so I can't pinch down the trails and set but I have had sucess with dirt hole sets right next to the trails,If the shingle thing would work it would save me a ton of time.

#160972 - 03/31/07 09:07 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: ]
Chamacat Offline
trapper

Loc: New Mexico
Alrighty....this post could make the archives..it has alot of good info in it....Iffin we can stick to cat trappin....I have never used shinges either...this is another little bit of information on the cat hiway....You don't cement or attach the shingle to the pan right? it is just simply placed on top of the pan correct?

#160983 - 03/31/07 09:18 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: ]
Tomcat 30-06 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Kansas 50 yrs.
Huntinglonewolf showed me the shingle thing this year and we used paper clips also.
Tomcat.

#160985 - 03/31/07 09:20 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: Chamacat]
huntinglonewolf Offline
trapper

Loc: Wyoming
You attach it to the pan. You can use paper clips or glue a piece of shingle on the back side to slide on the pan or you can staple wire screen on the back side of the shingle. They all work.

#161073 - 03/31/07 10:58 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: huntinglonewolf]
Timbob Offline
trapper

Loc: OR
Chamacat - I practiced a few of these sets and it was a little more difficult than I figured because each time I returned to the sets I monkeyed around a little more with them. Between Bills book and Steves dvd and Tom Krause book I ended with only one cubby and I converted that to a walk-thru also. (Tom's book wasnt so much about the exposed set but taught X-em and Hex 'em which fit right in)

Here is a far view and close up of a set. Maybe not perfect but the basic idea. I just narrowed down where they travel into a bottle-neck with high sides.

I also pm'ed a lot of the guys on this board and they were all real nice and helpful.

Edited by Timbob (03/31/07 11:37 PM)

#161080 - 03/31/07 11:08 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: ]
Timbob Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: lynx/cat-trapper
TB...NICE...ONLY issue is that fact that a cat could step ON (and will) the side rocks...place rocks/sticks on them to deture..
lynx

Lynx - Thanks...again.

TB

#161084 - 03/31/07 11:14 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: Timbob]
Chamacat Offline
trapper

Alrighty, Timbob thank you.I can see the shingle on top of the pan..nice...a picture tells a thousand words....Some of you trappers that are new to trapping and old alike will benefit from the other trappers that are posting these cat sets that are really made fast and simple..I know alot of times one gets up into a location and you can't find material to work your set in...This exposed set will cut down on weight and time...nice..yep....ahh no more hauling dirt...and waxed dirt for that matter...

#161092 - 03/31/07 11:32 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: Chamacat]
Billfrank Offline
trapper

Loc: TEXAS
My grandfather showed me these sets when I was a youngen.He had precut wooden dowl rods 3/8" he carried to use as stabilizers under the trap. Said it was fast and easy. Although I dont personally use these sets here in east tx. it is a interesting thread.

#161110 - 04/01/07 12:16 AM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: Billfrank]
rim rock Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevada
timbob,

Gotta luv those protected overhangs, especially if they are south facing!!!! Nice set.

rr

#161118 - 04/01/07 01:05 AM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: rim rock]
Timbob Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: rim rock
timbob,

Gotta luv those protected overhangs, especially if they are south facing!!!! Nice set.

rr

Sheltering a toilet to boot! - Thanks

TB

#161154 - 04/01/07 06:11 AM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: Timbob]
Joel Offline
trapper

Loc: nevada
I'm even getting away from the shingle.

I've been brazing a 3.5 inch pan on my longsprings and just setting them.

I have experimented with a couple of things with these pans.

One is to paint the pan with the paint they use to paint guns.

The brown is the color of a lot of our rocks, the grass color really shows them where to put there foot.

Another thing that takes a little work is to spray the paint on the pan and then sift a little sand on it until it sticks, then dip it in hot wax which seals the sand to the pan.

It comes out looking like a shingle, kind of has a wet look but if you toss a little dry dirt on it when you set it the wet look goes away.

The rougher texture hold the new dirt there where a slick pan doesn't hold the dirt to well.

I've caught plenty on the slick pans but I like the sealed sand on the pan better.

Saves packing paper clips and takes about as much time as cutting shingles.

Saves time in the field.

I'm going to experiment with the big pans on some of the bigger coilsprings next year. The small CS's would cast the foot out I'm afraid.

Cody get on here you and Lynxie can get along. lol!!

I know lynx knows what he's up to and looks like your on your game as well.

Joel

#161214 - 04/01/07 08:20 AM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: Joel]
Chamacat Offline
trapper

Yep, I thought about the trap pan modification....I went out to my fur shed and got one of my #3 coil springs Bridgers out...One would have to be very careful on the width of a pan modification....the levers in the fired position come up very high..I wouldn't think you would want the levers touching the pan in the fired position....one more thing if you modify the pan to be longer than a stock pan on the #3 bridger when you somewhat bed the trap you surely want the pan to have enough room when stepped on to fire the trap....I don't know if this would apply to other brand traps or not...Joel I can really see a big advantage though in painting/sand/waxing the trap a trappers not carrying shingles...then when you get to the set you don't have to go back and get shingles in case you forgot...I also can see that a trap pan modification would increase your kill zone tremendously.....Thanks Joel....

#161432 - 04/01/07 12:37 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: Chamacat]
Chamacat Offline
trapper

OK, I have notified the mods...I hope you will too...I would like to see this thread go into T-Man's archives for the future trappers of this great nation to cherish FOREVER...I don't want to take any credit for the post...It rose from otta the ashes of other threads by itself...how's that....the chamacat is going back into his cave and rests..and watches patiently....adious

#161567 - 04/01/07 03:47 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: Chamacat]
mike jerrell Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi

Gentlemen, correct me if im wrong,But isnt this just pretty much a blind trail set. I dont mean to over simplify this set,I acknowledge you western cat trappers know your business. But from what im seein and hearin this is the same type blind set I have been using for everthing for 40 yrs.Maybe im missing somthing. The set Im talking about is one of my favorites cause its so simple, Put trap where critter puts foot.

#161624 - 04/01/07 05:09 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: mike jerrell]
Timbob Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: mike jerrell

Gentlemen, correct me if im wrong,But isnt this just pretty much a blind trail set. I dont mean to over simplify this set,I acknowledge you western cat trappers know your business. But from what im seein and hearin this is the same type blind set I have been using for everthing for 40 yrs.Maybe im missing somthing. The set Im talking about is one of my favorites cause its so simple, Put trap where critter puts foot.

Thats kind of how I see it but you can pile the trash around the set pretty high and hem them in. You can also use flagging and lure etc if you want.

#161667 - 04/01/07 06:31 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: Timbob]
YouthCooner901 Offline
trapper

Loc: TN
lynx whats that big pipe for
Bobcat-2!!!!!
Beaver-1

#161671 - 04/01/07 06:36 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: YouthCooner901]
mtbadger Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
Hey Youthtrapper not Lynxie here, but he uses that to stamp or press pan covers out of shingles...

mtbadger

Always looking for Bridger #3OS and 1.65OS

#161811 - 04/01/07 09:14 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: Timbob]
mike jerrell Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi
 Originally Posted By: Timbob
 Originally Posted By: mike jerrell

Thats kind of how I see it but you can pile the trash around the set pretty high and hem them in. You can also use flagging and lure etc if you want.

Thats what I mean, When I make a trail set I block the passage if there are no natural obstacles I drag up some vines or a dead limb,for cats I will add a visual attractor to hold his attention,but if an animal is using the trail anyway you can just lay down some stepping sticks and catch it anyway.

Trail Set

#161932 - 04/01/07 10:50 PM Re: Let's Talk About The "Exposed Cat Set" [Re: YouthCooner901]
Timbob Offline
trapper

Here is another one for you guys to critique.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie