Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#157905 - 03/29/07 08:29 AM BOBCATS - thread / discussion on cat habits
Purity Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Kansas
Well, I for one have a question about bobcat habits, I have been going to post this for some time and feel the time has come.

I have trapped bobcats for years now and have caught a few. Not large numbers but a few. I have read the books and studied a lot of video's on cat trapping. One thing I question is. Do cats spend much time in trees? I know they can run up a tree like we can walk on flat ground, but do they actually use trees much?

I mounted a bobcat for a customer years ago that tracked a bobcat by his tracks in a fresh snow. he followed it for 3 miles and finnally met up with the cat. But the cat was in a tree, He said it was laying on a limb motionless, Like it was waiting for him to walk on by? He shot it.

Now I know we scout for cats trying to find tracks on the ground. But do they use trees much?

I know myself, I have been walking through timber and felt like maybe a cat or something was in a tree watching me.

I asked the question, I'll watch for disccusion.
:)Purity

#157923 - 03/29/07 08:54 AM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: Purity]
linderbean Offline
trapper

Loc: Chicagoland
 Originally Posted By: Purity
I know myself, I have been walking through timber and felt like maybe a cat or something was in a tree watching me.

That's how I feel half the time when I'm out checking for hair. I am positive they have been up there and have seen me. Elusive little fuzzheads. \:\/

#157942 - 03/29/07 09:18 AM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: linderbean]
lope Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Oregon
In our area they tend to stay on the ground and rimrocks but if they are being prusued they will head to a tree. I feel that they do not hunt from trees. My .02 Lope

#157945 - 03/29/07 09:20 AM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: lope]
linderbean Offline
trapper

Loc: Chicagoland
Yea I don't think they HUNT in trees, but they go up there.

#157950 - 03/29/07 09:23 AM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: linderbean]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
I know it sure dosnt bother them going up trees when dogs after them. They'll tap a tree just like coon will too.

#157953 - 03/29/07 09:25 AM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: linderbean]
lope Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Oregon
Im sure they do just for the heck of it and if you were walking by or in the area they might just freeze and let you go by. Lope

#158078 - 03/29/07 10:47 AM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: lope]
mickeysdad Offline
trapper

Loc: Pine Haven, Wyoming, USA
One of my buddies has lion/cat hounds most bobcat chases end up with the cat in a hole, there are trees around but they prefer to go under ground. I have been with him and seen it many times

Don't buy any Polaris products, they don't stand behind them

#158086 - 03/29/07 10:54 AM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: mickeysdad]
Palerider Offline
trapper

Loc: Mo.
Yes......they use trees in my area to hunt both deer and turkey.More than one bowhunter has witnessed a 'cat jump on a deers back from a tree.It's one heck of a show after that !!!!!

#158106 - 03/29/07 11:08 AM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: Palerider]
playin4funami Offline
trapper

Loc: nebraska
cats by nature are pretty shy animals and I think they mostly hide in whatevers close up a tree or in a hole when disturbed.I have had 2 just this year that got caught crossing an open feild and they just layed down and flattened themselves out trying to hide.

#158138 - 03/29/07 11:43 AM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: playin4funami]
YOTEPINNER Offline
trapper

Loc: Downeast Maine
do you guys htink theyd go up a tree for food?

#158231 - 03/29/07 01:10 PM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: YOTEPINNER]
Hunt_with_dogs Offline
trapper

Loc: North East, MT
I've seen several cats in trees, however they just appeared to be "sunning" themselves and not waiting for prey.

Never chased cats much with a dog, but the first one I did, run out of a wash across an open dry pasture. I let the dog go and it took at least 10 minutes for the dog to catch up and than they dissapeared. It took me a long time to get to where I last saw them, but when I walked over to the only scraggly tree in a brushy bottom, there was my dog waiting and cat in the tree. Will never forget that first time! The cat just layed there with it's chin resting flat on the branch and was all glassy eyed, never even twitching a muscle. After that I learned how to look better for cats too, as at a distance a cat in a tree just looks like another magpie nest and that realy made me wonder just how many cats have I walked by up in a tree? The other few I chased never where that easy! I had the dog on one big tom that was hair raising and actioned packed only for it to disapear in a hole??? I am started to get alot of lessons on these sly things.

#158240 - 03/29/07 01:16 PM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: Hunt_with_dogs]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
Ill never forget the first time I heard one. I was about 9-10 years old and out squirrel hunting by myself. I had an old H&R 12 ga and my cur dog. It was just at the edge of dark and I was coming off the hill. That thing squalled about 20 feet from me and nearly messed myself. I think my poor dog did. I think I actually outran the dog back to the house....

Edited by KYBOY (03/29/07 01:16 PM)

#158248 - 03/29/07 01:24 PM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: KYBOY]
Purity Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Kansas
good stuff people, I think this is the way a bobcat thread is susposed to go. (smile)

P

#158388 - 03/29/07 04:31 PM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: Purity]
mike jerrell Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi
Down here the will somtimes lay up and sun on cold clear days.Sorta like a coon they will pick trees with a lot of vines,If you dont look close it just looks like a squirrel nest.We had a squirrel dog tree in such a place once,one of us jerked a vine to make the squirrel move and a bobcat jumped over into the next tree and got away. I beleive they will rob squirrel and bird nests, I would if I was a bobcat,easy pickins.

#158495 - 03/29/07 06:16 PM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: mike jerrell]
44_ Offline
trapper

Loc: Huttig AR
I saw bits and pieces of a cat take out a turkey that flew up to roost. I was bowhunting in a heck of a thicket, and couldn't see it all, but it sure looked to me like that cat was already there when the turkeys flew up because he jumped one of them before the birds got settled good on a limb. Maybe the cat knew where they were going to be that evening or maybe it was just that bird's unlucky day. It looked like those birds were about 30 or 35 feet up when he jumped that one. I was up about 20 feet, and they were higher than me by several feet. It was a heck of a racket for a little bit! I almost jumped out of my tree when the cat squalled, and I was 30 or 40 yads away. I wouldn't blame anyone if they didn't believe that story, because I probably wouldn't have either, but I was there!

#158540 - 03/29/07 06:56 PM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: 44_]
jp8102 Offline
trapper

Loc: merrill, ORY-GUN
well about 50% of our cat trees are cold trees, meaning the cat has laid up for the day in a tree. when were huntin in the day usually all of them are cold trees. we do get a few in rocks. but i would have to deffinatly tell u that cats use trees to sleep threw the day. i have even followed cat track to the tree they were in. and fot the cold trees, i know they r laid up cause i have walked into the tree with the dogs. so yes cats do use trees for sleep/rest or whatever.
JP
coloradomountainadventures.net

#158755 - 03/29/07 09:06 PM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: jp8102]
hunterdude58 Offline
trapper

Loc: Luray, Ks.
have watched cats sitting in trees as if they were looking for food and have seen them sunning. see this alot around here. farm country with a few creeks running through.

#158824 - 03/29/07 09:49 PM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: YOTEPINNER]
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"

Loc: Lower Alabama (Daleville)
YOTEPINNER,
I once had the opportunity to watch a squirrel cross a road followed about 1-2 seconds later by a bobcat. The squirrel ran across the road, through the ROW (about 50 feet) and up a tree. The bobcat followed the squirrel up the tree. The squirrel appeared to be attempting to cross a small creek on the overhanging branches. The bobcat caught the squirrel about twenty feet above ground level and, never missing a step, leaped to the ground with the squirrel in its mouth. I happened to be standing there with a .22 rifle. With one shot I had a squirrel and bobcat.

Ron Fry

Ron Fry

#159241 - 03/30/07 11:22 AM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: LAtrapper]
YOTEPINNER Offline
trapper

Loc: Downeast Maine
thanx ron..good story..i have never seen a cat in a tree before..i guess ill be looking up more when im in the woods..
Anyway I asked the question because im gonna try setting some baited boxes in trees this year guarded with 220s and see how i do...im gonna make up some boxes this summer so ill let ya know next fall how i made out!
Mike

#159449 - 03/30/07 02:30 PM Re: Bobcat thread / discussion on cat habits [Re: YOTEPINNER]
Kansasbert Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
Pinner, a couple years ago I was bow hunting and came across three young bobcats playing and chasing each other in a grove of cottonwood trees. They would climb the tree, then zoom back down, go back up and tap out on another tree. I watched for probably 1/2 hour before they moved on. This got me thinking as you oviously have, why not put a trap in a tree? So I made some 220 wooden boxes for trees. I built the boxes outa plywood and made a large (maybe 24"x12") landing/deck out front of the opening. I drilled a 1/4" hole through the end of the deck and used it to attach some monofillament and brass swivle to a wing with lure that then hung below the box. I like to use whole packrats and cotton rats for bait in the boxes. I built six of these boxes I think and in the last three years have probably caught 6 or 8 cats in them. They are by no means my prefered way to trap cats, but sometimes I have a spot for them. Ill hunt around and see if I have any digital pictures of them to post. The poor part about these is hanging them. Kinda like wrestling with hanging tree stands. Ive put them anywhere from 3' up in a tree to 8'. It seemed the lower I put the boxes the more coons and possums I caught.

I also really like bedding footholds up into tall brush piles. Around here there are a lot of hedge rows. A lot of times when ranchers build new fences they have a dozer come in and doze the old fence and hedge row out to make room for the new fence. Now the big pile of brush is left usually at a corner right on a natural travel way. Im a firm believer that cats like to hunt mice, birds, rats, and bunnys outa these brush piles. One of my favorite methods is to bed my trap right up into the brush pile, sometimes I need a scrap piece of plywood or a large log slabbed flat with a chainsaw to build a cubby. You have to wire your bait into the cubby or the rats and mice will clean you out the first night. Im not saying these methods are right, good, or prefered but they work for me. My two cents - Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie