Land Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1557341 - 10/25/09 07:50 PM EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field?
waltp Offline
trapper

Loc: wv
Ive only been trapping for a couple years but mostly for coon. I just got some real nice land that has alot of field surrounded by woods. The way the field lays is its kinds high in the middle and then slopes down on both sides to the woods, kinda like a rainbow. around the edges near the woods it is rolling with alot of dips in it. To the experienced fox trapper where would be the best places to set this, high or low? Thanks, Walt

#1557435 - 10/25/09 08:27 PM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field? [Re: waltp]
bergdog Offline
trapper

Loc: Floyd,Virginia
Don't know what the land is like. Best try would be were the field ,woods and a road meet.Foxs like roads and edges!

#1557481 - 10/25/09 08:47 PM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field? [Re: martentrappah]
K9.Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky....14y/o
i found a small hill in a 40 acre hay field, set it, and caught 10 fox out of my 11 fox year, same set, same trap, and 4 yotes...

#1557533 - 10/25/09 09:13 PM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field? [Re: K9.Trapper]
trapper30 Offline

Loc: kanawha wv 35years
edges buddy edges or intersections

#1558159 - 10/26/09 12:13 PM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: trapper30]
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

Loc: Northwestern New York(Elder)
What kind of a "field" is it - agricultural crop land, or a natural, undisturbed setting?

If it is in a hay or stubble field (corn or soybean)....or even if not combined yet, set both the highest ground and at the lower areas on the field edges where the woods or a lane might intersect - all natural travel ways. Sign may not always be that evident, but if you know that you have fox in that territory set the corners/edges and the high ground.

Your effort will improve with practice, trial and error, and cultivating a keen sense of observation, learning how to find, interpret and translate the sign in any given habitat.

The examples below are prime red fox habitat where I trap with edges, lanes, high spots and wooded points into fields.

Jonathan

Soybean Field - Not Picked; Set At Tree Line And Crop Corners

Corn Field

Open Hay Field - Wooded Point

Old Hay Field Edge - Red And Grey Fox Habitat

Manure Pile In Hay Stubble

Wooded Point In Disked Corn Stubble

High Point Between Hay Stubble, Lane And Worked Field

Wooded Island In Disked Field

Corn Stubble And Wooded Point

#1559517 - 10/27/09 02:21 AM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: Jonathan]
waltp Offline
trapper

Loc: wv
Thanks!!! Its all hay field around here.

#1559521 - 10/27/09 02:26 AM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: waltp]
BlueRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: VA
Find your intersecting crops or roads...crop changes are travelways for K9's...Any intersecting terrains are usually hotspots as well.

#1559530 - 10/27/09 03:17 AM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: martentrappah]
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

This is another example of a main attractant in my red fox trapping territory - a brush pile "island" in the middle of an old hay field. It will have equal if not more appeal after it is burned.

Jonathan

#1559532 - 10/27/09 03:28 AM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: Jonathan]
BlueRidgeTrapper Offline

Jonathan's picture of that brushpile is equally attractive to all other predators as well. Brushpiles usually mean food to predators whether it be in the form of rodents, rabbits, ect...

#1559561 - 10/27/09 05:13 AM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: BlueRidgeTrapper]
Nick11 Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
Hi guys.
I'm new to trapping. This is my first post to this message board. I actually got on here to ask a question specifically about this topic and rooted around to see if it had been previously discussed before posting a message.
I have been reading a number of books on trapping leading up to this first trapping season. None have been very good at covering the subject of where to place a set on a property. Is there a book that you can think of that covers this pretty good? Or, has all the locations been discussed here? (field edges, road/field intersections, islands/brush piles in middle of field)
Thanks
be careful out there.

#1559562 - 10/27/09 05:15 AM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: Nick11]
BlueRidgeTrapper Offline

Originally Posted By: Nick11
Hi guys.
I'm new to trapping. This is my first post to this message board. I actually got on here to ask a question specifically about this topic and rooted around to see if it had been previously discussed before posting a message.
I have been reading a number of books on trapping leading up to this first trapping season. None have been very good at covering the subject of where to place a set on a property. Is there a book that you can think of that covers this pretty good? Or, has all the locations been discussed here? (field edges, road/field intersections, islands/brush piles in middle of field)
Thanks
be careful out there.

Nick, I commend you for taking the time to check the website for your answer before asking questions. As far as books, you might start a new post and see what everyone's favorites are, be sure to be specific on what target species you want to learn about as there as lots of books out there.

#1560117 - 10/27/09 12:26 PM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: BlueRidgeTrapper]
Nick11 Offline
trapper

I guess I did hijack the original post.
sorry about that.
take care everybody.

#1561351 - 10/27/09 09:06 PM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: Nick11]
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

Nick, Not to worry about jumping in with your raised hand. It fit this theme perfectly. I cannot help you out with the "book" part. I have been trapping red fox for well over 50 years without reading a book or buying any DVD's. But, I learned about this stuff by reading sign and studying locations as a self taught student. And, I continue to learn more each day that I waddle around scouting.

Jonathan

#1561464 - 10/27/09 09:58 PM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: Jonathan]
lennitrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: south east pa
ok i will make a location post...again
look for it it will be called red fox locations explained.

Edited by lennitrapper (10/27/09 10:00 PM)

Pro-sqeazin Pro Staff Member
"What was your bait?? Cobra?" white 17

#1566110 - 10/30/09 04:18 AM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: lennitrapper]
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

Here are a few more examples of classic red fox attractions in farmland travel way habitats and corridors. All of these that I have pictured are equally productive for coyotes.

Snowmobile Trail Through Woodlot Connecting Crop Fields

Apple Orchard Adjacent to Thicket With "Point" At End Into Hay Field

Hayfield With Wooded Point

Corn Field And Hedgerow Intersection

Corn Field And Ditch Edge - Set Both Sides Of Ditch

Soybean Crop Field With Wooded Edge And Point At End Of Field

While these examples are in my area, they may give you a feel for the availability of similar types of terrain and habitat to look for in your area.

Jonathan

#1566171 - 10/30/09 06:26 AM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: Jonathan]
Nick11 Offline
trapper

In working through message boards, I am always hesitant to drag a thread slightly off topic, but this deals very specifically with the photos above.
I am sorry for an extremely "rookie" question, but this is something that hits me when I look at some of these pictures....

It is still relatively early in the season. There is still fairly heavy ground vegetation just about everywhere (as shown in Jonathans pictures above).

When you dig your bed to place the trap, you remove a 6-8 inch area of sod; place the trap; and sift fresh dirt over trap. When a dirt hole is complete, it doesn't look like an animal came in there and dug a hole for food. From and animals perspective, it looks like someone/something came in there and removed a hunk of sod and did "something" to the dirt. It would raise red flags, i think. Being a human, trying to think like the animal....it doesn't look natural.

Again, sorry for the rookie question, but I just want to throw it out of comment and see where it went.

#1566185 - 10/30/09 06:43 AM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: Nick11]
auker994 Offline
trapper

Loc: Juniata Co, PA 17 years young
good question nick ive always wondered the same thing. and another question is about the pictures. i have a few spots to set just like some of the pictures where the woods makes a point out into the field. my wooded point is narrow and is the ntersection of crop changes. would i set right on the tip of it or off to the direction of the prevailing wing a couple feet?
thanks and great post

#1566208 - 10/30/09 06:57 AM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: auker994]
BearCaller Offline
trapper

Loc: AK/KY
Thanks for posting those. Good pictures help everyone regardless of experience level!

#1576423 - 11/04/09 02:00 PM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: BearCaller]
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

Nick11, That is a good "rookie" question.

Keep in mind that in order to set a buried trap that the ground is going to get disturbed in the process to begin with. The fresh sifted dirt over the trap, blended in or not, is attractive to canines, as well as other critters when combinations of lure, bait and urine are used at that fresh looking patch of soil.

It functions as an added visual element of curiosity to entice a fox to investigate and work the set. I have caught many red fox while on location at a dirthole set with exposed fresh soil contrasting with green grass in a hay field without using any lure, bait or urine.

The habitats illustrated in my photos were taken about a week before the season, and will change very little, with the exception of crop removal until all is buried in snow. The crop fields (hay, corn, soybean,) meadows, wooded edges and brush piles are virtual rodent factories where fox and coyotes hunt for food.

To give you an idea about what you have questioned, here are two examples from your fellow PA trappers.

Study the location and habitat types in this photo. Do they look at all similar to any of those I presented earlier in this thread?

This coyote was caught in PA not many days ago by T-man member
Magnum Hunter using a dirthole set in the hay field.

Master fox trapper, Phil Brown from PA, catches more red fox than any other man that I know with this season's catch for evidence:

And, this is the set Phil catches most of them in:

Those should help answer any questions you may have had about disturbed sod and contrasting fresh soil exposed at a fox/coyote set.

Jonathan

#1576596 - 11/04/09 03:50 PM Re: EXPERIENCED FOX TRAPPERS sets for fox in field [Re: Jonathan]
beaverman69 Offline
trapper

Loc: central mich
any reason for the different color of soil.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie