Trapper's Humor

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#1475022 - 08/28/09 06:13 PM What part of the fish does fish oil come from?
INTERNET TRAPPER Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri, USA
Wondering what part of the fish has the most oil?

If i use only meat will I get more then if I use only whats left after taking a fillet (guts, head fins)?

#1475023 - 08/28/09 06:15 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: INTERNET TRAPPER]
CoonDuke Offline
trapper

You will get way more oil from heads, guts, and skins than from fillets.

#1475024 - 08/28/09 06:15 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: INTERNET TRAPPER]
BuckNE
Unregistered

oil pan

#1475029 - 08/28/09 06:17 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: ]
INTERNET TRAPPER Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri, USA
Originally Posted By: BuckNE
oil pan

I knew someone was going to do it !!!

#1475034 - 08/28/09 06:19 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: INTERNET TRAPPER]
Happy Birthday big ab Offline
trapper

Loc: georgia
You dont want to rot down the guts and all. Gut your fish cut it into small chunks and you will have a good sweet smelling fish oil instead of a rank oder.

#1475035 - 08/28/09 06:19 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: INTERNET TRAPPER]
330-Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
The oily part... look real hard, there's a spiggot'

#1475072 - 08/28/09 07:01 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: 330-Trapper]
aprophet Offline
trapper

Loc: Portsmouth Va.
the fat of the fish . on bluefish it is on top of the fish and on either side of the belly just a bunch of grease . if I don,t cut it off my coat is shiny for 3 or 4 days smile

Molan Labe

Venari Vastantium

#1475254 - 08/28/09 09:02 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: aprophet]
bad karma Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Lol...where is the fat on an alwife ?

#1475274 - 08/28/09 09:12 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: upstateNY]
bad karma Offline
trapper

grin

our dialect. In New York you would call em pogies or bunker

#1475315 - 08/28/09 09:31 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: bad karma]
foxtail Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
Under the tarsal gland.

#1475457 - 08/28/09 10:25 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: upstateNY]
bad karma Offline
trapper

saltwater only.

#1475499 - 08/28/09 10:46 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: bad karma]
possum skinner
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: bad karma
saltwater only.

lol think again ... fresh water James is slam full of'em wink

#1475726 - 08/29/09 01:28 AM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: INTERNET TRAPPER]
BuckeyeRaTrapin' Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Ohio 43551
Originally Posted By: Internet Trapper
Wondering what part of the fish has the most oil?

If i use only meat will I get more then if I use only whats left after taking a fillet (guts, head fins)?

I don't think fish have parts but if they did I would say it is from their knee wink
2 Coon
40 'Rats

#1475764 - 08/29/09 05:17 AM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: ]
bad karma Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: possum skinner
saltwater only.

menhaden, p-skinny.What you call menhaden same thing we know as L-y's
They don't live in freshwater lakes in NY.

#1475920 - 08/29/09 09:09 AM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: bad karma]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio

I assume we are talking about sun-rendered....not pressed or dehydrated fish oil, yes?

Huge difference!

You can rot down the entire fish or use the "rack", which is what you have left after you fillet the fish. There is fat that runs throughout the fish, including the fillets. Some fish ate more oily that others. Trout, salmon, carp...all are oily fish.
Bass and panfish? Not so much. They make a "juice" not a fish oil. Just like when people say "crawdad or crawfish oil"...Is there fat on a crawdad? grin

Honestly....the man wanted a simple answer. So there's my perspective....and that comes from someone who makes fish oil. wink

#1476303 - 08/29/09 02:47 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: bad karma]
possum skinner
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: possum skinner
saltwater only.

menhaden, p-skinny.What you call menhaden same thing we know as L-y's
They don't live in freshwater lakes in NY.

nope, LY's are LY's (or alewife) and menhaden are menhaden (or Pogy/Bunker) ... up the fresh water James I'm talking LY's ... from a biological viewpoint they are almost exactly the same but yet different (heck, you already know all about this stuff)

don't know about freshwater lakes in NY but unfortunately LY's have entered several of the great lakes and overpopulated themselves ... I've heard of large scale die offs/kills up on those lakes and I think I also heard of massive kills of cormorants up there too?

#1476497 - 08/29/09 06:09 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: ]
Mike Taylor Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
Oil comes from fat......most of what you make at home is really "fish" juice.....which also can work.

#1476517 - 08/29/09 06:25 PM Re: What part of the fish does fish oil come from? [Re: Mike Taylor]
Crowkiller Offline
trapper

Loc: AR
Some of the best freshwater fish oil in produced from carp.Lots of fat and the oil is clear and very attractive to most critters. I've made and sold gallons from carp, it's great.

Crowkiller

Moderator:  Drifter