Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How much taint is right #1450175
08/10/09 05:02 PM
08/10/09 05:02 PM
Corydon, IN
P
Paula Offline OP
"Gimp"
Paula  Offline OP
"Gimp"
P

Corydon, IN
OK this is totaly about trapping, nothing else. LOL How can I tell how much taint is right. I have a real problem knowing the right time to stop the proscess. I seem to be so rapelled by the stench that I can not prosces the finer orders that come when a meat has met that perferct rot. Any idea's. I am open to anything. Any ideas

President James Marshall ( Harrison Ford Air Force One) “Peace isn't merely the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice”
Re: How much taint is right [Re: ] #1450196
08/10/09 05:11 PM
08/10/09 05:11 PM
Arkansas
Jim Spencer Offline
"Resident Jerk"
Jim Spencer  Offline
"Resident Jerk"

Arkansas
I'm certainly no expert on this, but I've always been of the opinion that for baiting purposes, the least amount of taint posible is best. When I'm making meat baits, I stop the process as soon as I begin to get a whiff of spoilage. The critter's nose is much better than mine, and I figiure if I can smell it at all, he can smell it extremely well. It's been my experience that predators like fresh meat better than spoiled, the same as we do. The only reason for tainting a bait, IMO, is because it gives it much more odor and lets the target animals find it easier.

If you're using meat as a calll type ingredient, though, more spoilage is probably a good idea. But then you get into the rolling problems associated with canines working carrion.

Man, it was hard to play this one straight! Paula, couldn't you have called it "spoilage" or "aging" or something like that?

www.treblehookunlimited.com - best trapping and turkey hunting books on the planet
Re: How much taint is right [Re: Jim Spencer] #1450232
08/10/09 05:35 PM
08/10/09 05:35 PM
Portsmouth Va.
A
aprophet Offline
trapper
aprophet  Offline
trapper
A

Portsmouth Va.
I think the old heads who rotted tainted in the ground / under ground knew something it preserves itself better I think not sure how to describe it I just like tainting meat underground better . it kina makes it s own gravy smile

I TRAP PETA'S FRONT PORCH

Re: How much taint is right [Re: aprophet] #1450269
08/10/09 05:52 PM
08/10/09 05:52 PM
West Tennessee
PappyD Offline
trapper
PappyD  Offline
trapper

West Tennessee
Well, I uh, er...Oh Nevermind!...lol.

Come November, critters will die!!!
Re: How much taint is right [Re: PappyD] #1450277
08/10/09 05:56 PM
08/10/09 05:56 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Its not gonna be me!

Re: How much taint is right [Re: Trapset] #1450279
08/10/09 05:58 PM
08/10/09 05:58 PM
Robert Lee, TEXAS
bulletbox Offline
trapper
bulletbox  Offline
trapper

Robert Lee, TEXAS
If you throw up in the bucket, you let it go a little long..

Or maybe not long enough....

Good Luck and God Bless you and yours,

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Even sheep are smart enough to shade up when it gets over 100....
Re: How much taint is right [Re: bulletbox] #1450321
08/10/09 06:20 PM
08/10/09 06:20 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
Tainting isn't rocket science but the age old idea of tainting meat cubes until the are grey half way through but still pink in the center is a good rule of thumb.
I have tested tainted over fresh bait on fox, coyote and bobcat and the tainted got way extra and more intensive responses. Tainting adds another calling besides food/hunger, these three animals like to rub and roll on tainted products. Fox and coyote will work a set more intensively to get the tainted bait up and out where the can get at it to rub or roll. An animal with a full stomach having just gourged themself on a fresh kill will likely take a peek at fresh bait, perhaps mark the spot and move onward. Tainted glands also get a greater response for the same reason.
With coons I could never see any difference between fresh and taint, they go for either equally. Tainting coon baits gives it more odor so perhaps tainted could be an asset in that way.
Just my opinion based on my experiences! Asa

Re: How much taint is right [Re: Trapset] #1450322
08/10/09 06:22 PM
08/10/09 06:22 PM
kansas
P
possum5676 Offline
trapper
possum5676  Offline
trapper
P

kansas
meat with a decent taint and then preserved does not smell like it does when tainting, what you are revolted by is the odor of decomposition of the flesh, when preserved this is no longer going on and the odor is the actual meat. The best i have used slighlty tainted was by chas dobbins method, jar it loose and set in a warm sunny window inside if you can, in two or three days it will begin to turn an odd color, kinda grey, stir it up real good at that time and in 3 or 4 days it will be about right, 2 days if its real warm after the stirring, then preserve it or preserve it and add bait solution. For a real good taint i always liked old nicks method of burying it for about 6 months in a shallow trench covered with sheets of old plywood or a stock tank, there will be alot of liguid in that batch and can be used for liguid bait, both can be preserved and enhanced after being dug up. Last is rotted down and that was always my prefferred bait for coon and coyote, there are 50 ways od doing it and everyone will claim the right way, but the one i prefferred was to put in the full sun on a steel flat sheet like a cattle feeder in glass jars from about the ist of may until the ist of october, ground up ist worked the best, the consistency was like a slushy, or at times like canned cat food, preserve it and enhance it with bait solution or glands of your choice and it made a super fine bait, i always liked to mix it about 50 50 after the solution was added with cheap fresh pressed fishoil. A table spoon in the bottom of a dirthole or pasted on the side of a tree gave pretty decent results.

none
Re: How much taint is right [Re: possum5676] #1450401
08/10/09 07:21 PM
08/10/09 07:21 PM
southern michigan
NACooner Offline
"aka Trapper Max"
NACooner  Offline
"aka Trapper Max"

southern michigan
hehe, taint

"Coons for the money, Coyotes for the show"
Re: How much taint is right [Re: bulletbox] #1450412
08/10/09 07:29 PM
08/10/09 07:29 PM
eastern WV
barbwire Offline
trapper
barbwire  Offline
trapper

eastern WV
Originally Posted By: bulletbox
If you throw up in the bucket, you let it go a little long..

Or maybe not long enough....
LMAO!! if you do throw up in it, do you have to add more Sodium Benzoate to compensate for the added volume? grin

Re: How much taint is right [Re: Asa Lenon] #1450415
08/10/09 07:32 PM
08/10/09 07:32 PM
Arkansas
Jim Spencer Offline
"Resident Jerk"
Jim Spencer  Offline
"Resident Jerk"

Arkansas
Originally Posted By: Asa Lenon
...the tainted got way extra and more intensive responses. Tainting adds another calling besides food/hunger, these three animals like to rub and roll on tainted products. Fox and coyote will work a set more intensively to get the tainted bait up and out where the can get at it to rub or roll.

That was always the response I got with too heavily tainted baits, but in my experience most of them came in rolling and I'd get guard hairs from the shoulder or back in my trap. I didn't want "intensive" reactions, if that means rolling, But maybe I was just using too much bait?

www.treblehookunlimited.com - best trapping and turkey hunting books on the planet
Re: How much taint is right [Re: Jim Spencer] #1450490
08/10/09 08:16 PM
08/10/09 08:16 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
Originally Posted By: Jim Spencer
Originally Posted By: Asa Lenon
...the tainted got way extra and more intensive responses. Tainting adds another calling besides food/hunger, these three animals like to rub and roll on tainted products. Fox and coyote will work a set more intensively to get the tainted bait up and out where the can get at it to rub or roll.

That was always the response I got with too heavily tainted baits, but in my experience most of them came in rolling and I'd get guard hairs from the shoulder or back in my trap. I didn't want "intensive" reactions, if that means rolling, But maybe I was just using too much bait?

With all due respect Jim I have very and I mean very seldom ever had a canine or bobcat roll on a set, it happens once a year or so. Of course anything tainted must be down a hole or concealed in some way that would require them to get it out in the open to even think about rolling on it.
I agree that your experiences could have been the result of using too much stink as my experiences are using a 1" cube of bait or a small gob of lure with a tainted base. I have seen many a trapper using large amounts of rotten fish and such and I expect just the excessive aroma in the air might likely elicit them to roll even with the rotten bait concealed. Asa

Re: How much taint is right [Re: Asa Lenon] #1450674
08/10/09 09:57 PM
08/10/09 09:57 PM
Corydon, IN
P
Paula Offline OP
"Gimp"
Paula  Offline OP
"Gimp"
P

Corydon, IN
Thanks guys. I am one of those people that has an increadible since of smell. Once smelled a yote 1/2 mile away on a trap line with my husband. Just ask him. It sound like a proscess that I am going to have to go trough many times to get right. I have smelled some stuff that is just right. I mean it goes from having "OMG where is my bucket" to almost a slight bit of sweet on the end of OMG. I know that the last one is the best one as I have seen the proof in the pudding, but I just have a hard time getting that. Age our stuff in gallon jars in a cool basement and use a latex/nit glove over the opening. When the gas builds up the glove will expand then at night you can release the gas. That is my husband can release the gas. I think mainly I am not patient enough. I need to train my sense of smell better. I am not going to throw up in the bucket either. I once had my hands inside of mans abdomen to keep his guts falling out while I stood in his blood. A little taint aint going to kill me. Should I cube my meat or grind. Right now I grind, but the cube might be better to tell when its ready. Thanks

President James Marshall ( Harrison Ford Air Force One) “Peace isn't merely the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice”
Re: How much taint is right [Re: Paula] #1450707
08/10/09 10:08 PM
08/10/09 10:08 PM
Thumb of MI
Greg L Offline
trapper
Greg L  Offline
trapper

Thumb of MI
I wouldn't want to be the "gas releaser" person in your basement. That has to stink up the whole house!!

Re: How much taint is right [Re: Asa Lenon] #1451331
08/11/09 11:08 AM
08/11/09 11:08 AM
Arkansas
Jim Spencer Offline
"Resident Jerk"
Jim Spencer  Offline
"Resident Jerk"

Arkansas
[/quote]

I have very and I mean very seldom ever had a canine or bobcat roll on a set, it happens once a year or so. Of course anything tainted must be down a hole or concealed in some way that would require them to get it out in the open to even think about rolling on it.
[/quote]

I don't doubt you a bit, Asa. Maybe it's a North/South thing, or more likely, I was using too much smell. It happened more with loud call-type lures than it did with tainted bait, now that I think if it - stuff like Gusto and Canine Call, with a heavy skunk base.

Re: How much taint is right [Re: Jim Spencer] #1451337
08/11/09 11:17 AM
08/11/09 11:17 AM
South Central Nebraska age 71
tmrschessie Offline
trapper
tmrschessie  Offline
trapper

South Central Nebraska age 71
I am new to this game, but have been cutting the meat from the carcase (bobcats)letting it sit for 3 days, grinding and adding the goodies....I really like the fresher baits and the cats seem not to mind them either. I like ground meat for ease of placing where I want it. Tom

Re: How much taint is right [Re: tmrschessie] #1451344
08/11/09 11:19 AM
08/11/09 11:19 AM
se. mn... age..64
Jim Blakley Offline
trapper
Jim Blakley  Offline
trapper

se. mn... age..64
" This just taint right."

.....Ive been at this Game for over 50 years and have no plans to stop................
Re: How much taint is right [Re: Jim Blakley] #1451727
08/11/09 04:18 PM
08/11/09 04:18 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
"Tender" but not rotten is the perfect taint.

Watch how long a road kill sits before it disappears.

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 08/11/09 04:20 PM.

-Goofy-
Re: How much taint is right [Re: HobbieTrapper] #1451740
08/11/09 04:26 PM
08/11/09 04:26 PM
Corydon, IN
P
Paula Offline OP
"Gimp"
Paula  Offline OP
"Gimp"
P

Corydon, IN
OK what part of toss my cookies in the bucket did you not get. I can't even let the gas out and you want me to see if its tender. Why don't I shake the jar to see if it will blow off the lid then feel for the nice tender feeling just before I fill the closest 5 gal bucket with rements of my last 10 meals. OMG, please tell me you don't want me to touch that crap.......

Re: How much taint is right [Re: Paula] #1451771
08/11/09 04:47 PM
08/11/09 04:47 PM
Arkansas
Jim Spencer Offline
"Resident Jerk"
Jim Spencer  Offline
"Resident Jerk"

Arkansas
Paula, I'd advise you to forget about bait and stick with lure...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91