Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1424193 - 07/22/09 12:24 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: ]
j lord Offline
trapper

Loc: Flatland TN
yep thats right andy lol. caught nine in there the year before.

ohio andy, no i bought me a new one of those phones that i can get on the internet with. heck its faster than my dial up, lol.

http://www.jlordvideos.com/apps/forums/
"Trappers Lodge"

#1424203 - 07/22/09 12:27 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: j lord]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Amazing that they can send info through the air faster than through a phone line...

#1424208 - 07/22/09 12:29 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: Ohio Andy]
j lord Offline
trapper

Loc: Flatland TN
i know, if i had good phone reception at home, i'd never get on the computer at home lol.

http://www.jlordvideos.com/apps/forums/
"Trappers Lodge"

#1424279 - 07/22/09 01:01 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: regulargrey]
timrose Offline
trapper

Loc: Someplace Indiana
Originally Posted By: regulargrey
you could try the step down set like fence post sets the catlle will investegate but don't step down in the hole to ruin you set just my 2 cents

Regular grey and Treeblackdog got the simplest/most effective method...

Used to give demo's on this subject a few years ago after trapping (had to) cow pastures with cows in em cause they were killing new born calves and they were snare smart (from farmer)..ya gotta learn quick when the pressure is on....lol

Deep hole set...Dig trap bed and dirt hole about 10-12" below ground level. Cows won't step in that hole, but yotes will (both feet at times) with a good lure. the set looks odd, but effective.

www.trappersfreedom.proboards31.com/index.cgi

#1424554 - 07/22/09 03:32 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: ]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Pick your locations that don't have a high traffic of cows on a day to day basis. Farm lanes, gates, fence lines by water, water tanks, etc. will have too much normal cow activity to keep sets working very long, just because of the fact they will blunder into them. And, the more they come in contact with them, the more chances you have of them "working" the set for you.

We work small pastures mostly back east John. I figured out how to avoid cattle like everyone else to a certain degree but my problem was once a coyote was caught if the dang things saw it you could kiss that set good bye! They would check it out daily after that.

Do you have that problem as well and what do you do if that 'spot' is THE spot on the whole place for a set?

Ive tried the hanging a paper towl with urine on it in a tree, dummy sets, etc. to knock them off track but like you say eventually they find whatever you put out. My main problem though was once a coyote got caught all that fighting around attracted the entire herd to that spot!

#1424604 - 07/22/09 04:01 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: cndgmn]
blackhammer Offline
trapper

Loc: sseMinnesota
I find just the opposite of step downs.Set on high banks,the steeper the less cow problem.Fox trapping I have set almost under the fence with short chain and have had less problems and no fur damage from the fence.

#1424643 - 07/22/09 04:22 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: blackhammer]
k. miller Offline
trapper

Loc: Greensburg, KS 3 blocks from t...
graham... when he gets a hard charger and dumps it you won't get nothing else done.. my son asks me to go calling at least once a week.. lol

"if we kill them all now, there won't be any for winter" hehe

#1424797 - 07/22/09 05:21 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: k. miller]
bfflobo Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Oregon 63
A cows main objective in life is to destroy as much as possible and eat as much groceries as possible so when it destroys something it can crap on it. This makes a three fold problem. 1.something needs fixed 2.it will be covered in pasture grease 3. the cows will harass you, your tools and equipment while working on #1. (crap on shovel and axe handles, tip over nail or staple buckets, chew electrical wires and hydraulic lines off tractors and maybe get hurt in the proccess so a vet is needed). If a vet is needed, now there will be repaires needed after wards to repair the corrals or sqeeze chutes. This is never ending, the closest thing to perpetual motion that I can think of.
Try and trap with them! DON"T THINK SO!

Some day I am going to do an experiment. Hang an anvil from a tree limb and see how long it takes them to destroy it. I know they will, just don't know how long it will take.

Edited by bfflobo (07/22/09 05:25 PM)

#1424803 - 07/22/09 05:24 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: bfflobo]
Lil' Bit
Unregistered

*roflmao*

#1424813 - 07/22/09 05:33 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: ]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Got a tad more vegetation around here than you do out there John lol.

#1424824 - 07/22/09 05:38 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: ]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
The post hole or deep hole set works here on the one farm that has nosey cattle. Primarily for k9's but I have taken a few coon in those sets also.

#1424948 - 07/22/09 06:40 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: cndgmn]
RWTRAPPER Offline
trapper

Loc: South Carolina
I trap about 75% of the time for coyotes/fox in cattle pastures.

One in particulare is over grazed and has a lot of cattle. Basically the only grub the cattle gets comes from a truck. The place is also loaded with coyotes and fox.

I found several things that have worked for me.

1) I cover all sets in pastures with dry cow pies in the winter. I also place red fox urine on a rock or cow pie close to the set. I use very little backing so the cattle do not mistaken a backing for food. On flat sets I use larger rocks placed out in the pasture away from any other items. Even a cow knows she can not eat a rock. I also like to set near the small briars that pop up in these southern cow pastures. Cows know the briars are no good to eat also. If I do choose to use a large chuck of wood for a backing I chunk it out prior to making a set beside it so they learn it aint food.

2) I use my truck to block the cattles view of me. Ifin they come around I make them leave!

Know a heifer pasture or a pasture with horses is just about impossible to set. They make ya look on the other side of the fence for sure.

You can spend a lil time in rough places but that is just more work on the trapper.

Bottom line is to not look like a food provider/source. Run cattle off ifn they get too close while making sets or remakes (good job for a youngun). Try to avoid feeding areas and or the places the cattle like to congregate. I stoped using a bucket for hauling my gear due to cattle. I rigged up a hand held shopping tote for my gear.

Richard

#1424957 - 07/22/09 06:43 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: RWTRAPPER]
Lil' Bit
Unregistered

This would be a good t&PC article...

#1425259 - 07/22/09 09:24 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: ]
BlueRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: VA
I've got to say there's a PILE of great advice in this post that I'm going to start putting to use. I will say there are some differences in our pastures and those out west but the methods are very similar!

#1425349 - 07/22/09 10:21 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: cndgmn]
greyscat Offline
trapper

Loc: northern kentucky
put in flat sets so there is not alot of eye appeal and use tainted meat, no salt cure in it. make dirt hole sets with little eye appeal and put just a 1/10th as much lure ii the hole or backing. then 5 or 6 feet away on the ground put long distance call on the ground. they'll get a nose full of that and when they're satisfied they'll leave. they're curious, so satisfy them and make your sets aromatically more suttle. cows ain't crazy about tainted meat. they already know what it is and usually are not busy bodies with it and your set. unless you make them curious visually with the set. so keep it low profile visually too. the fur will smell it if your on top of the tracks. trust yourself. if you knew how good their smeller was you'de cut way back on lure. alot of times coyotes won't come in to your sets cause you've got way to much lure at the set. have you ever smelled someone that's got way tooooo much perfume on? it over powers your nose and you can't wait to turn the corner to get away... mr. coyote is the same

#1425445 - 07/22/09 11:35 PM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: greyscat]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

Loc: N.W. Iowa
John G. said what I was going to. I have pretty much gone to no trapping in a pasture with cattle. Especially black ones, like O'G told me they are the worst for stomping sets. I held a cow once with a #3 modified Bridger, something you don't want to happen!

#1425553 - 07/23/09 04:50 AM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: Tactical.20]
red webb Online   content
trapper

Loc: Carroll County Va
Stay away from cow trails set off them use bait not much lure cattle love gland lure never set snare were livestock. If fence set on the side with no cows.

#1425604 - 07/23/09 06:50 AM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: ]
timrose Offline
trapper

Loc: Someplace Indiana
It is always interesting when working cow pastures and you catch the yote and pull up in the morning and its like everyone is waiting for you...lol
The cows I have worked with "circle" around the coyote like its the big show...you know you caught some yotes when you see cows standing around in circles when you crest the hill...lol

The main thing about using traps in cow pastures is that you really have to contend with unusual circumstances and if you use your head and keep at it you'll find something that will work, even if temporary, enough to snag them cow pinchers.

John G, see you in a few day and have a safe trip smile

www.trappersfreedom.proboards31.com/index.cgi

#1425688 - 07/23/09 08:42 AM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: timrose]
decoy Offline
trapper

Loc: north Idaho
I set under bottom wire by post. Never had one tripped from a cow.

#1428353 - 07/25/09 03:31 AM Re: Keeping Livestock Out Of Sets??????????????? [Re: decoy]
BlueRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: VA
Originally Posted By: DECOY
I set under bottom wire by post. Never had one tripped from a cow.

I'm a little bit lost on this one....I can visualize setting under the bottom wire...but whats the post have to do with it? Maybe I'm just thinking too much?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie