Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: ] #1420756
07/20/09 10:50 AM

K
Kre OP
Unregistered
Kre OP
Unregistered
K

I really don’t have a preference when it comes to pockets or blind sets.

But, I will say, when I run traps in the same spots year after year, I do like blind sets. I can really bank on catching some mink in the same spots year after year without digging or bait/lure. Just go in with a trap and some wire. I know the same thing can be said for pockets in many areas, but again then you have to take your trowel and bait/lure.

I also believe that blind sets are a little more theft resistant, especially with 110’s on dry trails or 1-1/2’s stuck under undercuts.

When the weather starts getting cold and ice begins forming, sometimes about the only set I can make is a trap right against the edge of culvert or bridge wall. You can catch a lot of rats and mink this way and they’ll operate in pretty bad weather.

With baited pockets, your catch of coon and possums is going to be higher. I don’t have many coon where I trap and absolutely no possums. But, when I trapped to the South, I had to deal with that. Depending on the year, I’ll take the coons.

With blind sets you’ll avoid some coon and mainly get rats and mink.

The old timers that I learned from (and a couple that are still around), seem to mainly be blind set trappers. They’re some reclusive, sneaky old farts…let me tell you. I’m sure they’re going to take a lot of good mink knowledge to the grave with them.

I think you’re missing the boat if you only use one or the other. But, that’s not to say you can’t rack up big numbers by using strictly pockets or blind sets.

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: ] #1420757

K
Kre OP
Unregistered
Kre OP
Unregistered
K

Oh, and I really like muskrat hind quarters for bait.

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: ] #1420787
07/20/09 11:25 AM
07/20/09 11:25 AM
Oregon
Ole Hawkeye Offline
trapper
Ole Hawkeye  Offline
trapper

Oregon
The year before last half way through the season I hadn't gotten near as many mink as I had expected to. I gave it some thought and realized that all of my mink sets were pockets. The only blind sets I had made were for the nutria I had promised the landowners I would take in exchange for permission to trap, and a couple of possum sets that kept connecting with dang old fox and coon.

I set a few more blind sets and started getting mink again. I think a person needs to use whatever he has confidence in and is good at, for me it's blind sets. It's my theory that a blind set doesn't arouse as much suspicion in a wary animal as a pocket or dirt hole.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for a proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1420856
07/20/09 12:38 PM
07/20/09 12:38 PM
Arkansas
Jim Spencer Offline
"Resident Jerk"
Jim Spencer  Offline
"Resident Jerk"

Arkansas
It won't be much of a surprise when I chime in here as mostly a blind setter, but I confess I do use some bait and more lure for mink, especially late in the season.

I still prefer blind setting, though, even late in the season, and what I will NEVER understand is why all you bait-and-lured pocket setters keep on saying you have to go a long ways and look a long time to find the perfect blind set. It's just not necessary to do that. The blind sets are right there where you can drive to - right where the creek goes under the road. That's the magic spot, and if you want to dig a pocket, nine times out of ten you have to walk PAST your blind set location to punch the hole.

And don't give me all that stuff about "my part of the world is different from yours." That may well be true, but it's not relevant. The mink comes to the bridge or culvert from one way, and the trapper comes to the same spot from another way, and where those two travelways meet is where the best blind sets are found. That's true in flat farm country, in rocky stream mountainous country, and everywhere in between.

You don't have to LOOK for blind sets, they're right under your nose when you get out of the truck.

www.treblehookunlimited.com - best trapping and turkey hunting books on the planet
Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1420872
07/20/09 12:50 PM
07/20/09 12:50 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
NS Trapper Offline
trapper
NS Trapper  Offline
trapper

Nova Scotia, Canada
Other than an occassional bottom-edge set I've never used a pocket set in my life...

...I use strictly conibear boxes (7*7*15) double notched for either a 110 or 120 and smelts or eels for bait...

...any spot I can dig a pocket there is usually a spot to set a box within spitting distance and both sides of the brook get one.

As far as lure goes I have caught as many - if not more - without it...and as far as bait freshness goes while I do make an effort to change bait regularily I have caught mink on bait so rotten it would cause a maggot to barf.

"When you have to shoot, shoot...don't talk!"

-- Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramírez (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)
Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: NS Trapper] #1420882
07/20/09 01:02 PM
07/20/09 01:02 PM

J
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
J

Jim,

While all you blind setter are hugging the culvert walls on 4 corners, I have 4 -6 baited sets upstream and downstream from you.. Sometimes 5-10 feet away..

To be perfectly honest, I saw 1 guy who used all blind sets last year at culverts and bridges etc.. Never saw a single mink ir anything in his traps for that matter.. And the spots I did blind set small culverts where I set teh trap right inside the pipe itself he drove right on by..??? HUH??

I took 3 mink from one pipe, granted 2 were small but geez they were blind sets even I would never pass up..

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: Jim Blakley] #1420891
07/20/09 01:08 PM
07/20/09 01:08 PM

J
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
J

Pockets don't need to be deep either just a spot for the mink to cross over that pan.

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: ] #1420896
07/20/09 01:11 PM
07/20/09 01:11 PM

J
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
J

Here is a spot on my northern MN line, you couldnt dig a pocket or get a stake in to save your life in most spots.. 5 feet from culvert where a guy had 2 blind sets next to pipe.. Second day of the season..

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: ] #1420903
07/20/09 01:17 PM
07/20/09 01:17 PM

J
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
J

The results of one day on the line and pocket sets.. Those beaver where even caught in pocket sets.. You don't make a catch like that in blind sets is all I'm trying to point out.. They are money in the bank sets... Hey, I love the challenge of blind sets also but on a money making longline I don't know if they are practical??? Maybe in certain spot on the spot locations but overall, I don't know that answer..

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: ] #1420908
07/20/09 01:23 PM
07/20/09 01:23 PM
se. mn... age..64
Jim Blakley Offline
trapper
Jim Blakley  Offline
trapper

se. mn... age..64
I want to be a blind trapper too ! Were do I get the white cane ? Does MTP. sell them ?.........???
Jim W.: I got several mink from that set in your first Pic. Too ! You do make a good set. I wish I could find more of your traps......

Last edited by Jim Blakley; 07/20/09 01:26 PM.

.....Ive been at this Game for over 50 years and have no plans to stop................
Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: Jim Blakley] #1420914
07/20/09 01:27 PM
07/20/09 01:27 PM

J
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
J

grin Over at CRU I hear it's for sale.. sick

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: Jim Blakley] #1420922
07/20/09 01:31 PM
07/20/09 01:31 PM
Oregon
Ole Hawkeye Offline
trapper
Ole Hawkeye  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I'm not a big fan of bait, but I have caught a lot of mink using a spade handle to poke holes in the bank and spreading fish scales around a little shellfish oil in a cotton filled film canister or medicine bottle pushed into the back of the middle hole.

Glass taxidermy or stuffed animal eyes set way back inside will get a mink to work a pocket too!

Last edited by Ole Hawkeye; 07/20/09 01:32 PM.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for a proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: Ole Hawkeye] #1420925
07/20/09 01:32 PM
07/20/09 01:32 PM
Oregon
Ole Hawkeye Offline
trapper
Ole Hawkeye  Offline
trapper

Oregon
By stuffed animal I mean toys or even doll eyes.

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1420939
07/20/09 01:40 PM
07/20/09 01:40 PM
Mio, Michigan
airmio Offline
trapper
airmio  Offline
trapper

Mio, Michigan
I use Pockets sets mostly, but I don't turn down a good blind set, as it gets colder my focus goes more to blind sets and a occasional pocket set.

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1420947
07/20/09 01:45 PM
07/20/09 01:45 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbins
I hear monkeys bring good money - lol.

.....I hear they own furnitures stores in Isanti or gravel pits in Isle. Thats what I heard.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: ] #1420951
07/20/09 01:47 PM
07/20/09 01:47 PM

K
Kre OP
Unregistered
Kre OP
Unregistered
K

Jim,

Our circumstances are quite a bit different. I don't have the competition that it sounds like you have. I might have someone from down south come up and trap for a week, but that's about it. So, I don't have issues getting cut off and if by chance someone is near one of my spots I do what I can to cut them off.

You have more coon in that picture than I could catch all season where I trap. I guess if I trapped around town or the campgrounds I could get more. But, without the incidental coon $$, it's hardly been worth it for me to trap mink and rats too hard. It seems like I can only make it trapping beaver.

When I did trap mink and coon hard in areas with competition, I did run a lot of pockets. I like to play in the mud as much as the next guy.

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: ] #1421038
07/20/09 03:48 PM
07/20/09 03:48 PM
Arkansas
Jim Spencer Offline
"Resident Jerk"
Jim Spencer  Offline
"Resident Jerk"

Arkansas
Originally Posted By: Jim Wallner
Jim,

While all you blind setter are hugging the culvert walls on 4 corners, I have 4 -6 baited sets upstream and downstream from you.. Sometimes 5-10 feet away..

To be perfectly honest, I saw 1 guy who used all blind sets last year at culverts and bridges etc.. Never saw a single mink ir anything in his traps for that matter.. And the spots I did blind set small culverts where I set teh trap right inside the pipe itself he drove right on by..??? HUH??

I took 3 mink from one pipe, granted 2 were small but geez they were blind sets even I would never pass up..

Well, that's the difference right there - I don't have much competition where I trap, so I don't have to worry about getting cut off by other trappers very often. That's a whole nother subject.

www.treblehookunlimited.com - best trapping and turkey hunting books on the planet
Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: Jim Spencer] #1421105
07/20/09 04:47 PM
07/20/09 04:47 PM
Maine
S
sandman Offline
trapper
sandman  Offline
trapper
S

Maine
When I walk down over the bank I take one good look and snap in whatever types of sets the waterway NEEDS. I loosely categorize them as edge,channel,trail, hole, and baited,some high and dry, some two feet underwater or at waters edge. Sometimes a combination.

Our waterways vary so sharply that even for longlining a single minded approach will cost you. The number one thing is learn mink inside and out and then at a glance you know where he SHOULD be and why and what will work to take him with the least amount of effort for that particular waterway.

Being able to read the waterway often tells me what sets to use. In other words, if I know we only had a half inch of rain three days ago but the "wash" on the banks tells me the brook came up two feet and dropped back in a couple nights, I don't set it the same as one that only rose a few inches in the same rain.

I don't know, I have never found the one-set one-style trap type mink trapping to give me maximum results here.

James Arsenault

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: ] #1421630
07/20/09 10:04 PM
07/20/09 10:04 PM

2poor OP
Unregistered
2poor OP
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Jim Wallner
Pockets don't need to be deep either just a spot for the mink to cross over that pan.

I prefer a very deep and narrow pocket for Mink myself. Buck Mink has a very long neck and he will do his best to pick bait.

Re: Pocket Setter vs. Blind Setter For Mink?? [Re: ] #1421657
07/20/09 10:20 PM
07/20/09 10:20 PM

J
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
Jim Wallner OP
Unregistered
J

Your right on the eye appeal Nick. Thats why I only use certain kinds of fish. Certain fish are highly visible at all hours of the day espc. at night on full moon.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91