Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Grease Burn: What is is? What does it do? #1404548
07/05/09 02:57 PM
07/05/09 02:57 PM
Alaska, USA
Top Jimmy Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"
Top Jimmy  Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Alaska, USA
OK, was reading back through some stuff and came across a comment on taking care of fur to prevent "grease burn." When I scanned the archives here and then did a bunch of research on other sites, no where can I find out what grease burn is, what it does to the hide, why it is an issue, and why the fur buyers or end users don't want it. I found this very odd, so figured I would post on here so that all the fur dealers, buyers, and handlers could post so there is something for the newby's, etc., to look at and read about it.

OK folks, post away.

-TJ

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Re: Grease Burn: What is is? What does it do? [Re: Top Jimmy] #1404563
07/05/09 03:23 PM
07/05/09 03:23 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Grease burn is a term used to define to much material left on the flesh side of the fur, causing the fur to slip, a simplistic explanantion would be that the grease causes the roots to heat up,(burn) and then the fur slips away.

Actually the burn is just a process of decompisition due to bacteria feeding on the roots or flesh of the pelt. Shows up primarilay underneath grease leaden area, as well as fleshy areas not taken care of properly.

A very good reason to make sure your pelts are always prepped correctly and put up and dryed sufficently before marketing them.

Last edited by GritGuy; 07/05/09 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Grease Burn: What is is? What does it do? [Re: GritGuy] #1404618
07/05/09 04:30 PM
07/05/09 04:30 PM
perryville/missouri
T
threestud Offline
trapper
threestud  Offline
trapper
T

perryville/missouri
this is what all fur buyers look for and if they think your fur as it you just lost some $$$$ .

Re: Grease Burn: What is is? What does it do? [Re: threestud] #1404652
07/05/09 05:05 PM
07/05/09 05:05 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Not scraping fur good enough is the reason for grease burn. As mentioned by gritguy, when to much grease is left in any one area it causes decomposition of the fur roots. This is probably one of the biggest factors in the degrading of coon and beaver by graders for trapped fur.
All it takes on coon is not getting all the gristle off of the neck and all the grease from the back of the coon and your pelt can grade anywhere from a slt. damaged to a poor damaged pelt.
This can also happen on real greasy mink. If you have a greasy mink, you must either get all the grease from under the saddle or completely scrape the mink to the point it has no grease left on it.
Rats can also have to much grease left in the shoulder area if they are not scraped properly. On a rat you never want to take the saddle off of the pelt but be sure all the grease is pushed out of the shoulder area.

Re: Grease Burn: What is is? What does it do? [Re: don Wolf] #1405267
07/06/09 10:12 AM
07/06/09 10:12 AM
Alaska, USA
Top Jimmy Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"
Top Jimmy  Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Alaska, USA
OK, now I did find something on the web from a taxidermy site that said grease burn would lead to an uneven tan by not allowing the hide to re-hydrate evenly.

-TJ

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Re: Grease Burn: What is is? What does it do? [Re: Top Jimmy] #1405281
07/06/09 10:46 AM
07/06/09 10:46 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I think mostly it's the fat and flesh that keeps the skin from DE-HYDRATING properly.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91