Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1370331 - 06/05/09 10:37 AM Re: Muskrat Floats (pics) [Re: Bruce T]
Blackdog Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Bruce, Take a couple REALLY deep breaths & count to 10.

Anybody that doesn't agree that its more productive trapping rats where they ARE instead of where you want them to be. Is fooling themselves.

BUT different situations call for different methods.

#1370332 - 06/05/09 10:37 AM Re: Muskrat Floats (pics) [Re: Crutch]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
Originally Posted By: Crutch
brucet, Riverman asked you to express your fellings about floats somewhere else, can't you just respect his wishes, it is his post, and you have been asked to not respond anymore. Crutch

I asked riverman a question he has never answered, and others are asking me questions on here.

#1370342 - 06/05/09 10:42 AM Re: Muskrat Floats (pics) [Re: Blackdog]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Blackdog
Bruce, Take a couple REALLY deep breaths & count to 10.

Anybody that doesn't agree that its more productive trapping rats where they ARE instead of where you want them to be. Is fooling themselves.

BUT different situations call for different methods.

Everything is fine old buddy.lol Not mad at anyone.

#1370349 - 06/05/09 10:46 AM Re: Muskrat Floats (pics) [Re: Bruce T]
Jonathan Online   content
"Wilson"

Loc: Northwestern New York(Elder)
There really is no need to get fractured over methodology here by quibbling over the miles, owning completely different seasonal circumstances in respective geographical haunts.

This is not a final exam for young trappers in a trapping education class. In truth, all of the proposed multiple choices, including "All of the above," are correct answers.

The diversity of approaches and the supporting opinions simply reveal the range of options available to a prospective muskrat trapper. With that, trial and error are on the palette, and an individual trapper has to match the hatch for their location.

A Phillips head screwdriver won't work, when in fact one needs an adjustable wrench as the appropriate tool to efficiently do the job right.

"Muskrats! Look at them all here. Gee, what tool would work best for me to be able to pull this off catching/harvesting them with: .22LR, floats, colony traps, long springs, coil springs, or body grips? Guess I'll just have to play around with what I have to find out - heard guys on Trapperman talking about using all of these different tools from across the country. None of them live by me though, so, looks like I am just going to have to experiment on this new adventure. It might take awhile, but I'll figure it out for myself in time."

Catch them the best way that you can, and for goodness sakes, don't complicate your life at this juncture as to what to stretch the pelts on - wire or wood. That will come in time, too, and won't take too long to figure out.

Jonathan

Come catch me if you can. You're a lot smarter than I am.

(Chuck Musitano Photo)

#1370377 - 06/05/09 11:05 AM Re: Muskrat Floats (pics) [Re: Bruce T]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: brucet
I'll out trap floats 10 rats to one.I love it when my competetion uses floats.The river fluctuates here also.You can catch some rats using floats but you catch alot more using other sets.

Heres my quote again.Don't see where I said anything diffrent.

#1370384 - 06/05/09 11:08 AM Re: Muskrat Floats (pics) [Re: Bruce T]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Nice picture Jonathan.

#1370420 - 06/05/09 11:30 AM Re: Muskrat Floats (pics) [Re: Bruce T]
Jonathan Online   content
"Wilson"

Loc: Northwestern New York(Elder)
Bruce, That photo is from another retired, wildlife research biologist, Chuck Musitano, - not mine; photo credit was given under it. It just so happens that that photo graces the cover of T-man member Actor's new "muskrat" book.

Jonathan

#1400714 - 07/01/09 01:26 PM Re: Muskrat Floats (pics) [Re: Bruce T]
trappingfool114 Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Bruce T
Originally Posted By: upstateNY
bruce:: come to NY and set up your colony traps,and see what the Game Warden thinks about them.I bet he wii like them a LOT!

Colony traps where they are legal.Also yep, your right.Float sets are the bread and butter of muskrat trapping.All the big number muskrat trappers are liars.They just make videos and write books to fool people.They actually all use floats.Thats all I've ever used is floats to catch my thousands of muskrats over my lifetime.

In NY, you can't use colony traps. For Muskrats, you can only use floats, channel sets, and drowning sets.

#1400726 - 07/01/09 01:40 PM Re: Muskrat Floats (pics) [Re: trappingfool114]
Actor Offline
trapper

Loc: Newark, Ohio 72 years
Originally Posted By: trappingfool114
In NY, you can't use colony traps. For Muskrats, you can only use floats, channel sets, and drowning sets.

trappingfool ... would you please describe to me what they/you call a channel set. I am not tending to be a smart a$$, I am trying to broaden my knowledge of regional lingo pertaing to rat trapping.

Thanks ..... Garry-

Member: NTA, OSTA, NRA & OWO

#1400738 - 07/01/09 02:00 PM Re: Muskrat Floats (pics) [Re: upstateNY]
hillbillyken Offline
trapper

Loc: Shenandoah , Iowa, Fremont Co.
MAN! not this thread again! I thought it was done and over with...Talk about beating a dead horse!

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  tmrschessie